Disney's Magical Express/RAC - What "Participating Airline" Really Means!

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Chip 'n Dale Express, Oct 27, 2005.

1. jewjubean

jewjubean <font color=deeppink>You can call me Bean<br><font

ok...so i've booked a trip with my cousin, who lives in Arkansas, and I live in Louisiana.... well I was wondering how this is going to work out... Jodi DC's flight arrives in MCo around 4:30 PM and my flight arrives at 9:45 so i expect to be a AsMo around 11:15 or so from what i've read around here. How is this going to work, will they let me check in at DME even though they have already checked in....and when i get to the resort will they give me the information to the rooms...Thanks for all your help!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. clkelley

clkelley <font color=purple>I squealed really loud!!<br><fo

No problem at all. Whoever made the reservation will receive all of the DME materials. That person should forward the tags and boarding pass to the other person.

You put your tags on your bags, your cousin puts tags on their bags and they will all arrive at the room. You will each have your DME boarding pass and will board the bus no problem.

As far as getting to the room, hopefully your cousin will have checked in and the two of you can communicate by cell phone as to the room number before you get there, then you can just proceed directly to the room when you get to ASMO.

Also, since you are arriving so late, I would recommend having a carryon with what you need to go to bed and get up the next morning. Value Resorts luggage services closes at 11pm, so it will be the next day before your luggage arrives to the room.

4. lachancegirl

lachancegirl Earning My Ears

My husband and I and our two boys are taking our first family vacation in a few days to Disney World. We have never flown before so I have a quick question. We are flying with Spirit Air, which is not a participating airline. But what is the process to get checked in on our return flight? Are we to check in at bell services to print off our boarding passes or the airport? Does that mean we are checked in? Sorry I am new! Also I heard we had to check in 3 hrs before our departure. But if we have to check in at the airport, how do we get to the airport within that 3 hours? What is the process starting with us getting a notice from our resort the day before what time we are to meet the DME?

5. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

Welcome to the DIS boards!!
    I'm assuming you have already reserved your ride with DME. This has to be done before reaching MCO, assuming you are riding the DME bus from the airport to your resort.
    So....for your return flight, here is the deal....as you know, Spirit is not a participating airline. This means that you will take your bags, both carryon and checked, to the airport with you. The day before you are due to checkout of your resort, you will be left a notice, usually under your resort room door, telling you what time your DME pickup will be the next day. That time will be about 3 hrs before your flight departure time.
    For instance...if your flight is due to take-off at 11:00am, your DME pickup time will be in the neighborhood of 8am. You should always plan on being at MCO about 2 hrs before your departure time, so the three hours gives you plenty of time to get to the airport and through security lines.

Now....if your flight isn't until later that day, let's say 7:00 pm, you can leave your bags with Bell Services, and head off and have some last day fun. Your pickup time would be about 4pm, so you would need to be back at your resort by 3pm in order to get your bags out of luggage storage, and then be at the bus stop in time for your bus.

You need to be at the bus stop about 15-20 mins before the time you were given in your notice. The time you were given is the time the bus is scheduled to pull out. Too many people have gotten to the bus stop at their designated time only to find that the bus has left without them. And there may not be another bus scheduled for that resort for a few hours. The buses are scheduled based on the departure times of the guests. If there are no guests at your resort that need to be at the airport within 2-3 hrs. no bus will stop. So, don't plan on just 'catching the next bus'...there may not be a 'next bus' for 2 hrs!!

So....let's say you get picked up by DME at 9am, for a noon flight. You get to the bus stop by 8:40, all your bags ready to go. When the bus arrives, your bags will be stowed underneath the bus, you will hop onboard. When the bus gets to MCO, the driver will make two stops...Side A and Side B. He will tell you which airlines are located on which side. It's a good idea to know this beforehand so you have an idea which side you'll need to get off on.
    When the driver announces your side, you will hop off the bus, the driver will take out the luggage and you take your bags up to the checkin area of MCO for your particular airline.

Hope this helps explain a bit. If you have any other questions, just ask!!

6. lachancegirl

lachancegirl Earning My Ears

Dianne,
    Thank you so much for your help! We have reservations with DME. We received our yellow tags about 3 weeks ago. i think everything is clear now! Thank you:)

7. goofy4tink

No problem at all....have a great trip!

8. lissiesmum

lissiesmum DIS Veteran

Okay, I'm also flying on a non-par airline (southwest), and I'm a little concerned. So the bus doesn't directly drop you at your airline? How far would it be to walk to your checkin area? I'll be traveling alone with my DD and this sounds a little scary...are there bellmen there waiting to help you when you get off the bus? :confused3

9. goofy4tink

Unfortunatly, this is the one drawback with DME. The bus stops on the same level you are picked up on..level 1. You need to get up to your airline checkin area. You will be able to up the elevators though.

10. lissiesmum

lissiesmum DIS Veteran

okay, I just went from :cool1: to :scared1: . So I'm going to be dropped off with my DD, two backpacks, one big bag and a stroller and no one to help me with my luggage? :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?

11. clkelley

clkelley <font color=purple>I squealed really loud!!<br><fo

There are supposed to be carts and luggage assistance folks on the 1st floor where DME buses come in.

12. lissiesmum

lissiesmum DIS Veteran

I hope so! I am really starting to panic as to what I'm going to do when I get off the bus!

13. noname70

noname70 Mouseketeer

There will be baggage guys there pouncing-don't worry. You can also rent your own cart from one of the dispensers.

14. lissiesmum

lissiesmum DIS Veteran

:worship: thank you. can you hear my big sigh of relief? What are the rules for tipping?

15. goofy4tink

Tipping guidelines suggest $1-2 per bag.
    I apologize for forgetting to mention the available baggage help on the first level. I have flown SW home in the past and did have to lug my bags upstairs. I don't use any luggage assistence so tend to forget they are there.

16. lissiesmum

lissiesmum DIS Veteran

no need to apologize!:hug: If I wasn't traveling with just DD, I'd lug my own baggage too :) I'm just relieved to know there will be some kind of assistance so I'm not left alone to handle it :)

17. YayDisney!

YayDisney! I See Hidden Mickey's

Can you use airline check-in and check your bags for the return trip to MCO without using ME? I have seen the huge debate and I am in no way wanting to manipulate or abuse the system. We always rent a car and keep our luggage with us, it would however be a relief not to lug the suitcases from the car rental return area to the airline terminals for check-in during our return.

Thanks for any info.

18. goofy4tink

There is no debate on this one.....RAC (remote airline checkin) is not really part of DME. You can use the RAC system if you take the DME bus to the airport, or if you take a cab or a towncar. The only stipulation is that you are flying on a 'participating airline'. Those are...
    Airtran, Alaska, American, Continental, Delta, Jetblue, Northwest, United, USAir. If you are flying home on one of those airlines, you can check your luggage right at the resort and then go about your last day. You have to have the luggage checkin done no less than three hours before flight time....so if you have an 8am flight, you won't be able to use it. The RAC counters open at 5am, then close about 1pmish.

19. cmesq61

cmesq61 DIS Veteran

Sorry if this has been answered: We are flying Air Tran. Due to our February payment, we have no fee for the second bag, so long as it is under 50 lbs and not over sized. Does RAC and BAGs know this? I am worried that RAC will refuse to check the second and tell me to go and pay for the bags though BAG. Our air tickets do have the February purchase date on them if that helps?

20. georgemoe

georgemoe <font color=royalblue>Beverages? There were bevera

Sorry to ask but any further news on SWA and RAC? When will they participate? Thanks!

21. goofy4tink

I don't know. You may want to stop off at their counter and ask them before you are ready to depart. That way, you can get a definative answer and know what to expect.

Nope....nothing new going on. At least I haven't heard anything.