Disney's Magical Express/RAC - What "Participating Airline" Really Means!

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Chip 'n Dale Express, Oct 27, 2005.

1. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

That is a very good way to handle it. Most people report that they have gotten their bags just fine without riding the bus. But, why take the chance of something not working perfectly. So, have a couple of people ride the bus, the rest of you head out in the minivan. Be sure to let us know how it works out. I would be interested in seeing what your arrival times are like, using the two modes of transportation.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. leebee

leebee DIS Veteran

HI-
    I made it through 9 pages of this thread and didn't find my question- but I don't have the time to read all 45 pages, so here's my question:

We are using DME to get from MCO to ASMo, arriving around 4pm. However, we have an ADR at Boma (at AKL) for 7:05pm, which is 3 hours after our flight lands at MCO. If our flight is delayed, can we let our yellow-tagged luggage go straight through to ASMo while WE go to Boma for dinner, then meet up with our luggage at ASMo after dinner and check in then?

4. clkelley

clkelley <font color=purple>I squealed really loud!!<br><fo

You MUST get on the bus to All-Star Movies. If you don't need your resort ID to go to Boma (such as dining plan), then once you get to your resort, you can directly get on a bus to an open theme park, then transfer over to the AKL bus and hurry on to your dinner reservation. It will take a bit longer for your luggage to arrive in your room cause you haven't checked in, but if that's not a problem for you, then don't worry about it.

(FYI, if your DME bus happens to also be going to AKL AND you have no carryons under the bus, then feel free to get off at AKL instead of Movies) (That is a possibility with that route).

5. goofy4tink

Your bus will be tied to the resort reservation. So, you have to hop on the ASMovies bus. But, if your flight arrives at 4:00, you should be at your resort in about 70 mins. I would then just hop on the bus to a park and transfer to the AKL bus. OR...you could just take a cab. It wouldn't cost very much and you would save a lot of time...the resorts are even in the same general area.

6. anniem8

anniem8 Earning My Ears

Hi! I am planning a last minute, 2-day trip to WDW in less than 3 weeks. :) My question is this: I will be flying in on Delta. As understand the process, I will check my bags in Atlanta and they will magically appear in my resort room at Pop? What about return? I'm leaving in the evening, so I will check out and go to the parks before I head back to the airport. How will that work? Do I leave my bags (1 checked and 1 carryon) at the Resort Check In? Then be back to head out to the airport 2 hours before departure? I'm sorry, this may have been answered, but I couldn't find it and I'm running out of time. Speaking of that, do I even have time to get the yellow tags everyone talks about? If not, can I just get my own suitcase and take it on the bus?

7. goofy4tink

DME recommends booking at least 10 days in advance in order to get the info packet/luggage tags. So...book it now, if you haven't already. You can not just walk up to the DME counter, without a prior reservation..it must be booked in advance.
    So, that being said, yes, tag your checked bag(s) in Atlanta, and say goodbye to them. They will be in your resort room within 3 hrs of resort checkin. Be sure to pack a carryon bag with anything you may need for the start of your vacation.
    Then, when you arrive at MCO head down to level 1, checkin at the DME counter, head to your bus and you're on your way.
    For your return to Atlanta...because you are flying on Delta (a participating airline) you will be able to check your bags at your resort that morning. The RAC (remote airline checkin) desk opens at 5 am. You can drop your checked bag there, and get your boarding pass issued. Then, leave your carryon bag with luggage services and head off and enjoy your last day. You will be given a time to return to the DME bus area for your trip back to MCO. It is about 3 hrs before your flight departure time. Be sure to be at the bus stop earlier than the time given to you....be there about 20 mins or so early. The time you have been given is the time the bus departs, not when you should show up. Get your carryon bag and then head to the bus stop.
    Hope this helps a bit.

8. anniem8

anniem8 Earning My Ears

Awesome! Thanks so much!!

9. lissiesmum

lissiesmum DIS Veteran

Could someone please spell out the benefit of using a participating airline? I would like to fly out of my hometown, Manchester NH, but the only nonstop flight offered is Southwest which is not listed as a participating airline. Now from what I've read and understand, I still have access to use the DME. This is where I need the clarification. If I am on a non-par airline, do I have to pick up my baggage myself and drag it to the bus? And on the way home, when I get off the DME, I will have to drag my baggage to the ticket counter? This is really important for me to have answered because I will be traveling solo with my DD3 and I will not have any spare hands for assistance. Could someone take a few minutes and clarify the differences for me? It would be much easier for me to fly out of Manchester than Boston, but if there are more benefits to using a participating airline, I really would take that into consideration. Thanks in advance for your help :goodvibes

PS...I guess another question I should ask, is, If I do have to lug my bags around myself, can you check them at the curb at the airport so I don't have to lug them inside?

10. goofy4tink

With any airline, any airline at all...when you are flying into MCO, from your home airport, you will have tagged your checked bags with the yellow luggage tags. Then, you will not see them again until you get to your resort room at WDW. You just fly to MCO, get off the plane, and head to level 1, ground transportation, Side B, of MCO and checkin at the DME counter, get on your resort bus and off you go.
    Now....because you are flying home on SW, you will not be able to check your bags at the resort. You can still head to guest services at the parks, or a resort front desk, at the 24 hr mark, before your flight departure time, and get checked in, with your boarding pass assignement. Then, the day you fly home, you will take your luggage with you, to the DME bus at the appointed time, the bags will go underneath the bus, you get on the bus. When you get to MCO, you should be able to curb check your bags.
    Hope this clears it up for you a bit.

11. lissiesmum

lissiesmum DIS Veteran

Thanks, Diane. I think that helps a lot. So to make sure I understand, the only real benefit to using a participating airline is on the way back. I can still go to the parks for the day, leave my bags at the resort, come back, Check in ahead of time at the lobby, and board the DME...the only difference is I will be responsible to bring my own bags to the lobby and I will have to check in my own luggage at the airport. Is that correct?

12. clkelley

clkelley <font color=purple>I squealed really loud!!<br><fo

You can still have Bell Services/Luggage Services bring your bags to the baggage holding area the morning you check out, then 30 minutes before it's time to board your Magical Express bus, proceed to the Bell Services/Luggage Services desk, retrieve your luggage, wait on the bus, have the bus driver load your luggage under the bus and proceed to the airport.

There will be luggage porters, and/or luggage carts available to assist you in taking your luggage up to the 3rd floor to check it with your airline at the airport.

13. angelwolf67

angelwolf67 Earning My Ears

now i understand with the new fees ME wants customers to 1 pay in advance or 2 take their luggage to the airport right. now what if you got your airline tickets b4 the new fees went into affect. do we need something from the airline stating that we don't have to pay the fees????:confused:

14. goofy4tink

Each airline seems to have a slightly different approach to this issue. Evidently, the govt told them they had to let people know about the extra fee beforehand, so most airlines will tell you that if you bought your tickets by such and such a date, you are exempt from the baggage fee. Check with your particular airline.

15. karylrocks

karylrocks I know it's only rock 'n roll but I like it.....

We bought our tickets in October so are exempt from the new charges, but I am concerned how it will actually play out when we try to check our bags at the resort check-in. I hope they have the bugs worked out of the procedure before our trip in August. There are seven of us (adults) and I was planning to bring a few extra bags but I don't want to have to check bags at the airport. You would think that the resort check-in employees would be able to handle the rules as well as the people at the airport.

16. goofy4tink

If you are using the RAC system to check bags and get boarding passes at the resort (and is sounds as if you are) then you have to cal BAGGS (the company that owns/runs RAC) and pay them the cost of checked bags. Then you can check your bags right at the resort. I'm sure that at some point, in the near future, we will see that RAC is able to accomodate those who have checked bags that have a fee attached. It's just that the present system is not equipped to accept monies. It's not a question fo not handling the rules..it's about the present system not being able to accomodate it. Hopefully by August they will have a better system in place.

17. beachgrl001

beachgrl001 DIS Veteran

HI How many bags per person can you take on ME? 1 or 2? I have 4 ppl w 5 bags and a couple of carry ons.

sorry if this has already been asked:goodvibes

18. goofy4tink

I'm not exactly sure what the question is. With DME it is assumed that most people will tag their checked bags with the yellow luggage tags and have them delivered right to their resort room...they don't have to get them in baggage claim, so no bags on the bus. You can expect two luggage tags per person who is listed on the room reservation. It's up to the airlines to decide how many bags you can check free of charge.

If, for some reason, you find that you must take your bags on the bus with you (technically they are stowed underneath the bus you are on) you wouldn't tag the bags with the yellow tags. You would then go to baggage claim and get them and take them to DME checkin with you. It doesn't really matter how many you have.

I'm not sure if that answers your question..if not, just ask again, perhaps letting us know exactly what it is you want to achieve.

19. beachgrl001

beachgrl001 DIS Veteran

:thumbsup2 That's what I wanted to know. thanks. I know I got 2 pp last year but wasn't sure if they changed it for this year. Sorry I wasn't more clear with my question.

20. karylrocks

karylrocks I know it's only rock 'n roll but I like it.....

The problem is that I will not have any fees because I bought our tickets before the fees were in place and we are each allowed 2 checked bags without paying additional fees. I have been reading that RAC is only accepting one bag per person even though we would not have to pay extra for the second bag.

21. goofy4tink

This is the issue that is currently happening with RAC. I'm just not sure how they are handling it. I guess we're going to have to wait and see how others do it on trips this summer. I know it's turning into a nightmare for some....I'm just glad I seldom check more than 2 bags for 3 people. I may have to tighten up even more now though.