Disney's Magical Express/RAC - What "Participating Airline" Really Means!

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Chip 'n Dale Express, Oct 27, 2005.

1. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

It depends on what airline you are flying home on. If you are flying on a 'participating airline' (Airtran, Alaska, American, Continental, Delta, Jetblue, Northwest, United) you can check your bags right at your resort. You can do that first thing in the morning, get your boarding passes issued and then head off for the rest of the day.
    If you are not on one of those airlines, you can leave your bags with bell services at the resort. You will have gotten a notice, left under your resort room door, the day before you depart, telling you what time your DME pickup is. If you haven't checked your luggage through that morning, you just head back to your resort, get your bags that you left with the luggage folks that morning and head to the bus. Your bags will go underneath the bus.
    Now...the thing to keep in mind is that you need to be back at the resort about 45 mins before your pickup time. So..if your flight is at 5:00, you will be given a p/u time of about 2:00. Be back at the resort by 1:15ish, especially if you have bags to retrieve. The time you are given is the time the bus leaves, not the time you should show up.

Anyone can use RAC....as long as you are on the list of participating airlines. You do not need to ride the DME back to the airport.

Also...you have to pick up the bus at your resort. You can not get on a DME bus at any other resort. You have been assigned a seat on a particular bus, at a particular time.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. karensi

karensi <font color=9999FF>Taking grandchildren to WDW wil

We are going to DW the end of August and I just booked my airline (JetBlue). Is it too early to call DME to give them my info?

Also, what is the phone # for DME??

TIA,

Karen :)

4. goofy4tink

You need to book DME with whomever you booked your resort reservation. DME usually doesn't want to talk to you much before a month or so before you travel.

5. karensi

Thanks Goofy, I'm guessing that I could just call IPO then,as we will be staying (for the 1st time) at GF, RPC :thumbsup2 .

Since our trip is the end of August, I will call in July.

About how long does it take to get your tags after you call to give the info?

6. goofy4tink

Call now. You usually get your info packet with luggage tags about 5 weeks before you leave. Just make that reservation and forget about it. When you get that packet in the mail, in July, you'll feel so good!!! Vacation is almost here!!

7. karensi

Thanks (again) Goofy... I'll call Tuesday morning. I've been working with a GREAT IPO person, Denny. He has told me that he works Monday through Friday, and since Monday is a holiday, I'll wait till Tuesday, just to make sure he is in.

8. Laurie222

Laurie222 Mouseketeer

I just found out that AA changed our flight # and time (old flight numbers are coming out of totally different airports). We are renting points from a DVC member. Do I need to contact him to call DVC to adjust our ME?

Only 9 more days:cloud9:

9. goofy4tink

I wouldn't worry about it. They don't really care about the actual flight info...they see any luggage with those yellow luggage tags on 'em and they pull them.

10. clkelley

clkelley <font color=purple>I squealed really loud!!<br><fo

Well, actually it depends on what time your flight is schedule to arrive.

If you have a late arriving flight, I would contact your DVC member and have them change it. The tags won't matter, but staffing at their desk and bus drivers will matter.

They keep the desk and buses staffed according to reservations made and track that through flight numbers. If you have a late arriving flight and you are delayed, and you changed flight numbers they won't know to expect you and you could have a delay in getting taken to your resort.

Worse case scenario is a sign will be on the desk, and you call a phone number to have some type of transportation dispatched to you, but it could be a longer wait after a frustrating day of delays.

11. CleveRocks

CleveRocks <font color=red>Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

Exactly.

If there are no reservations for incoming guests, the DME counter at the airport actually closes at 11:00 p.m. However, they will stay open and staffed all through the night if they know people are arriving throughout the wee hours of the morning. They not only know about the flights scheduled to arrive late, but they are also hooked into the airlines' and airport's comouter systems. If your flight was scheduled to land at 8:00 p.m. but has been delayed and is not expected to arrive at 2:00 a.m., they will know this because they know your flight number and will know to wait for you.

12. Laurie222

Laurie222 Mouseketeer

Thank you for the info, everyone!:thanks: Our original flight was supposed to arrive at 10:55am, but now will come just after Noon. So, it sounds as though it is not absolutely necessary to contact ME.

13. java

java <font color=darkorchid>I am embracing the Turkey B

Ok another ?

If we use it ONLY for the return trip to the Airport, and we are flying with a participating airline. What do we do with our carry on stuff? Should I store the kids backpacks and stuff with the bellman?

14. clkelley

clkelley <font color=purple>I squealed really loud!!<br><fo

Yep, store it with Bell Services/Luggage Services then get back to your resort at least 45 minutes before your DME pickup time, retrieve your carryons, and board the bus!!

15. DisneyMomx7

DisneyMomx7 DIS Veteran

We've always used (and love ) ME. We usually fly Air Tran because they use the RAC. Now that they've gone and changed the luggage allowance here is my question. On the Air Tran Website it says you can pay the extra luggage charge when you check in online. If we check in online and pay the additional luggage fee that way can we still give the extra luggage to the RAC desk? I had read that they would only take the allowed 1 bag per passenger since they had no way to pay the extra fee. If the extra fee is already taken care of (online check in) can we leave all the luggage with RAC?

Thanks!

16. Laurie222

Laurie222 Mouseketeer

On the Dis News service, it says that ME will start charging for all AA checked luggage on June 1. My understanding is that the AA charge does not go into effect until June 15, and that people having been ticketed before then are grandfathered in. We leave tomorrow at 5:30am. :banana: What is the scoop?:confused3

17. ameraumi

ameraumi DIS Veteran

I tried to scan some of the most recent posts and did not see this anywhere. Can 1 or 2 people from your group check in at RAC with the luggage or does everyone need to be present? I am just planning ahead so I know on our last day how to handle this.

18. goofy4tink

It 'used to be' that everyone had to be present, just like at the counter at the airport. But, it seems that now, only one person has to be there to check the whole family in. Now, I don't think I would go so far as to try to check in another family. But, your own family shouldn't be an issue.

19. WeemanMom

WeemanMom DisneyFanatic's DW

OKay, if I understand this correctly...

I am flying Southwest - when I fly INTO MCO, my bags (with their little yellow tags) will be picked up by DME and brought to the resort - and we can utilize DME.

When I am flying HOME (leaving MCO :sad: ) I can leave my bags with the at the resort while we go play (we are leaving in the evening)...come back and get our bags, get on DME, go to the airport, get our bags as we exit DME and then go check out bags in with the airline.

Is this correct? I am sorry if I missed the answer to this earlier but I am so incrediably confused. :confused:

Thanks!

20. CleveRocks

CleveRocks <font color=red>Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

You got it!!!

21. karylrocks

karylrocks I know it's only rock 'n roll but I like it.....

I have decided that I might rent a minivan at the airport because I found a great deal and it might come in handy. There are seven in our group and we cannot fit all of us with our luggage in the minivan so I still want ME to take our luggage. Am I correct that you can't use ME only for your luggage (with no passengers)? If so, will there be any problem if only 2 or 3 of our group take the ME with all seven of our bags or do each of us need to check in with ME to use it for our luggage?