Disney's Magical Express/RAC - What "Participating Airline" Really Means!

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Chip 'n Dale Express, Oct 27, 2005.

1. beachgrl001

beachgrl001 DIS Veteran

Are there alot of skycaps around when you are dropped off of ME? (or luggage carts that you can rent) I am traveling w/o my DH (non participating airline) So I will only have DS13y/o to help me with the bags...

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. stepdisney

stepdisney <font color=red>Jambo Wildbunch Gang<br><font colo

Not sure where to post this. It is about magical express. We are arriving at Orlando airport but will not be checking in to AKL until 4 days after. We want to ride the ME back to the airport but how will be get from the airport to Universal. Is it possible to ride one way? What do we do with the luggage tags? How would we handle the information if we arrive in orlando earlier than our reservations state for check-in at the Disney resort?

Finally, if we have to rent a car while we are at Universal, can we drop it off somewhere ON Disney's site after we have arrived rather than drive all the way back to the airport and taking the bus to our resort? Confusing?? Hopefully someone knows what I mean. :thumbsup2

4. CleveRocks

CleveRocks <font color=red>Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

You can take DME one way, in either direction.

You will receive luggage tags when you make a DME reservation, but the luggage tags will be totally useless to you. I suggest throwing them out, unless you want to put them in a scrapbook. DME luggage tags are used only for the trip from airport to resort (it's how DME knows where to deliver the bags to). There's no such thing as DME tags used for the trip from resort to airport. So like I said, throw them out when you get them.

To get from the airport to Universal, I'd suggest booking a car service. It'll be better service than a taxi, for approximately the same price. Or rent a car if that would be useful for you.

5. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

I've not really noticed. But, I believe others have said that there are more skycaps in the drop off areas lately. Get that 13 y/o to work lugging bags!!!

You can book DME before you travel down, or you can wait until you check in at your WDW resort to do it. If you choose to do it beforehand, you can pretty much toss out the yellow tags you get...they will be meaningless to you. If you wait to book until you get to WDW, just talk to the front desk...they will be able to book your return to MCO.

I would book a round trip towncar service from MCO to your Universal resort, then from that resort to the WDW one. It should cost about $115, plus tip.
    Or, if you are comfortable driving yourself, pick up a rental car. If you rent through either Alamo or National, you can return the car to either the Dolphin or the Car Care Center (which is close to MK)..the CCC will shuttle you to wherever you need to get back to.
    There are also a myriad of rental car companies in the DTD area...some will get you back to your resort as well.

6. stepdisney

stepdisney <font color=red>Jambo Wildbunch Gang<br><font colo

Thanks guys. Would you book the towncar service because of the parking at Universal? We will be staying on site so we won't need transportation to Universal, however, we will be visiting aquatica and may need a car. We've never done Universal, just Disney, and we've never used a car at all at Disney. Can you rent a car for the same $115 that the town car service would cost? Will the town car service let us stop at the local walmart for water or do me need to have it delivered? Is there an additional charge for returning a car to a different location such as Disney CCC?

Sorry that I have so many questions but this is all new for us. We just jumped on the ME bus both ways the last time. It was convenient and the kids thought of it as their first & last ride. The more I think about it, the more I think a car may be useful, especially since we are unfamiliar with the universal area. If we don't like the experience, we can drive to DTD. :)

Thanks for your help and feel free to continue suggesting. :thumbsup2

7. beachgrl001

beachgrl001 DIS Veteran

:rotfl: Oh I will!

8. pskelly

pskelly What is your favorite ride at Disney World?

Ok I am sure this has been asked but I just cant find it, so, I have DME booked but I booked the flights on my own. Do I need to call DME and let them know the arrival and departure flight information?

TIA

9. goofy4tink

Not really. You can, but it really doesn't make a lot of difference. They will see your tagged bags and grab them automatically. Then, when you checkin upon arrival, you will be asked about your return flight info in order to schedule your return time.
    Call if you want but don't obsess over it.

10. pskelly

pskelly What is your favorite ride at Disney World?

Thanks goofy4tink, just wanted to make sure it wasnt going to be a problem.

11. wdwnomad

wdwnomad DIS Veteran

Does anyone know how RAC is going to be handling passengers who have more bags than their airline's allowance? Will we be able to check-in using RAC or will we have to check-in at the airport?

12. goofy4tink

That's a good question. You have to think of RAC as 'curbside checkin'. If you went up to Delta's curbside checkin they wouldn't allow the second bag free of charge. But, RAC represents 8 airlines....I'm going to 'assume' they will hold the guest to the same restrictions the individual airlines do. But it will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

13. Chip 'n Dale Express

Chip 'n Dale Express Can't stay put!<br><font color=purple>I met lots o

As far as I know, they cannot accept money. So extra baggage has to be checked directly with the airline.

14. wdwnomad

wdwnomad DIS Veteran

Thanks for the replies. I knew you weren't allowed to check in overweight luggage because they don't take cash. But didn't that mean you had to check-in at the airport with all of your bags then? Don't you need to check-in everything at once? If yes, then you would need to check-in at airport as well if you had a second bag?

I was wondering if they would change how they operate because of so many airlines starting to charge for the second bag.

15. MICKEY1024

MICKEY1024 Mouseketeer

do the ME busses only pick up at resorts at certain times, i dont see why we really need to be at the airport 3 hours before flying out, we usually just get there an hour and half to 2 hours before our flights to florida. our plan leaves at 5:30 from MCO so what time should we really be leaving All Star Movie to get to the airport???

16. goofy4tink

Each resort has a preset time, at 30 min intervals, that the bus can come to pick up. So, for a 5:30 flight, you would be given a p/u time of about 2:30 give or take. Why? Because there are other stops to be made. It is 30 mins to MCO from WDW...so if you wanted to get to MCO on your own, and be at the airport the 2 hrs before departure as suggested by MCO, you would have to leave your resort by 3:00. With DME you leave 30 mins earlier. So..you can see that you are not at the airport 3 hrs early, just 30 mins early.

And you can not count on another bus coming along 30 mins later. The buses to not automatically go to each resort. They only go to resorts that have people with reservations for DME at that time. So..if there are no other guests at Movies going back to MCO 30 mins after your bus, then you won't have a bus to get on if you don't take the one you are scheduled for.

17. CleveRocks

CleveRocks <font color=red>Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

If you are flying domestically, DME will pick you up about 3 hours prior to your flight, NOT get you to the airport 3 hours prior to your flight.

18. lovedoggies

lovedoggies Mouseketeer

We are flying Southwest and its not listed as a participating airline. So ...

When we are going home, how do we do it? We are going to rent a car and just wanted to use ME for the luggage only. Coming in seems like it would be easy, but how about going back home? Will the resort make sure our bags get taken, or do we need to be there to get them on the ME bus?

We are staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge if that makes any difference.

19. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - b

If you are not flying home on a participating airline, you cannot use Resort Airline Check-in/Magical Express to transport your luggage. Period.

These passengers - Southwest's among them - would, if taking DME back to the airport need to bring their luggage to the bus themselves. Any such Guest NOT riding the bus cannot use the homebound luggage transport service.

20. goofy4tink

I will chime in also.....
    one more time...'participating' means nothing whatsoever when you arrive at MCO. Any airline guest can use DME to it's fullest. Now, it's for your return to MCO that 'participating' matters. And even at that, it's not really about DME!
    It's the use of the RAC (remote airline checkin) system that uses the 'participating' airlines. Those guests flying home on those airlines are able to check their bags at the resort front desk, and then get their boarding passes issued. You do not even need to use DME to get back to the airport to use this service...just have to fly home on a 'particicpating' airline. Those not using a 'participating' airline, and who choose to use DME, you just have to show up at the bus stop about 15 mins before the time you've been given. Then, your bags go underneath the bus, and you'll hop on. You will be handed your bags at the airport terminal and off you'll go.

If you are using a rental car to get back to the airport, then your luggage goes with you. Your luggage goes on the DME bus only if you are on it! You can not send your bags with DME, bac to the airport, while you take another way.

21. IlovePiglet

IlovePiglet Mouseketeer

Unless someone in your party is actually riding the bus you will not be able to use the service just for luggage transfer.
    And as the previous posters have already mentioned, SW is not one of the airlines offering resort check in so you'll have to take the luggage back with you.