Disney's Magical Express/RAC - What "Participating Airline" Really Means!

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Chip 'n Dale Express, Oct 27, 2005.

1. dogsmom

dogsmom DIS Veteran

Thanks for this great tip. We'll be flying Air Tran in December.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. gduvall

gduvall DIS Veteran

How early can I check my luggage in for my return home. I don't have a flight on the day I leave until 7:30pm.

4. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

I believe it's no more than 12 hrs but at least 3 hrs. You can check your luggage through first thing in the morning. In your case, 12 hrs before would be 7:30 that morning. I would head over to the checkin counter before you head to a park for the day.

5. clkelley

clkelley <font color=purple>I squealed really loud!!<br><fo

The counter closes at 1pm, so the latest you could check your luggage is just before 1pm.

6. mikey13v

mikey13v Mouseketeer

Well, it happened again.

We had problems back on 7/24 at the Boardwalk with our check-in, but it finally worked after a long wait.
    This time it didn't work at all. We were checking out on 9-6 at POP Century, and the airline check-in employee told us that we could not check-in at the resort because we had been selected for special security screening at the airport. He told us this after he had trouble checking us in for quite some time. I asked him how he knew that this was security related and he couldn't give me an answer. I told him that I thought that he was making it up so that he could get rid of me, and my problem. He then proceeded to show me some litterature that stated "some passengers may not be able to use this service", you know the general, "nothing is ever guarenteed, CYA". He was very rude and made a spectical of me and my family. I, of coarse, responded in kind.
    The problem was not security related, it was an ongoing computer interface problem between BAGS and Alaska Air.
    Alaska Air became a 'participating airline' back in April. I had problems in July, and again in September. Each time I spoke to the BAGS employees and Alaska Air employees they stated that this has been an ongoing problem. This doesn't seem to be a priority to either party.
    We are going to WDW again in December, I won't count on the airline check-in to work out for us this time, but if it doesn't I will discontinue to use Alaska Airlines for travel to Orlando. We had been fairly faithful to Alaska, they are the only airline with direct flights between Seattle and Orlando, and then the joining in the airline check-in had kept us coming back. We will begin to use American Air, or Delta. They have cheaper flights and airline check-in. The convience of the resort airline check-in is more important to us than having connections. We rent a car, and it saves energy and time at the airport.

7. paulmc80

paulmc80 DIS Veteran

Sorry to hear about your problems using the resort airline check-in at WDW. That sounds like a rather unpleasant experience while on vacation. Hope its much better next time.

8. poohluvrs

poohluvrs Dinglehopper<br><font color=deeppink>Bah-bah-ree-n

Wow! We're stayin gconcierge, could I have them do online check in w/ our participating airline & print boarding passes as well? thanks

9. poohluvrs

poohluvrs Dinglehopper<br><font color=deeppink>Bah-bah-ree-n

When you check your luggage at the resort for departure, how does it get from the resort to your flight?

10. goofy4tink

If you are flying home on one of the 'participating' airlines, then you go to the airline checkin area at the resort, usually off the lobby area, you give them your ID, they will tag your checked luggage (same as at the airport), you will get your boarding pass and you are good to go. The luggage is transported via a truck to the airport. You won't see it again until you reach your home airport. Just remember....the resort airline checkin is the same thing as checking in at the airport..it is a 'remote airline checkin'...so you handle it the same way..your entire party has to be there, with appropriate IDs in hand.

11. Chip 'n Dale Express

Chip 'n Dale Express Can't stay put!<br><font color=purple>I met lots o

It should be noted that if you do Online Check-in, you CANNOT utilize the Resort Airline Check-In Desk.

12. Becky G

Becky G Earning My Ears

We are flying into Orlando in the morning. We are using ME, but want to pick up our luggage at the airport. Do we still need the yellow tags?

13. CleveRocks

CleveRocks <font color=red>Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

Nope. Throw 'em out.

If you put the DME tags on your checked bags, then those bags will never make it to baggage claim, which means you wouldn't be able to get them yourself. They'd be sorted, locked in a cage, loaded into a truck, transported to your resort, and delivered to the inside of your room (with the barcode scanned each time).

14. casey49781

casey49781 Mouseketeer

Can someone please answer a few question and set me straight????? Thankyou,,,,In December I am flying in on Spirit Airlines, since it is not a participation airlines, I will need to retrieve my luggage before I go get the bus,,, Then on the return trip I will need to check all my luggage myself,,,Now the other question is if I come on Spirit air where do I go to get the bus after I pick up my luggage??????And on the return trip were do they let you off at???????? Thankyou very much,,,Tipping is not included for the driver so 1.00 plus is standard per bag is that correct...

15. goofy4tink

To begin with....'participating airline' only matters when you are leaving WDW and heading home. Those that are flying on a 'participating airline' are able to get their luggage checked right at the resort, and then they get their boarding passes at the same time. It is just like a satellite airline desk.

BUT....anyone, flying into MCO on any airline, can use DME and their luggage delivery service. If you are staying on-site, at a Disney owned resort, you are entitled to that benefit. So....when you make your reservation with DME, you will give them everyone's name that is on your resort reservation. Each person listed will then get two yellow luggage tags, in the one big info packet that DME will send to the primary person. Then, each person attached the yellow tags to their checked luggage. When you get to MCO, you get off the plane, head to Side B of the airport, go down to the bottome level (1) and checkin at the DME desk. Your checked bags will be pulled off before they ever get onto the 'public' baggage carousel, and put on special trucks headed to the resorts. You will checkin, get your vouchers stamped, asked how many bags total were checked, and sent off to the apppropriate bus line, then off to your resort. Several hours later your bags will appear in your room.

Now, as to where Spirt Air gates are.....either Side A or Side B, I can't remember which one for Spirt. But, when you get to the main area of the airport you should head to the lowest level of Side B..that's where DME will be. Your info packet will have great directions in it.

For the return to the airport, you will have to bring your bags with you to the DME bus. They will be put underneath the bus that you are on. Then you will head to the check in area of the airport, same as you normally would.
    When you get dropped off, for your return home, you will be dropped off at about the same place you were picked up, and then you will have to hike to your gate.
    This is the only part of DME I don't like. A towncar will leave you at the departure level, whereas the DME bus leaves you on the ground level.
    ANd yes, $1 per bag is appropriate. Hope I've helped.

16. casey49781

casey49781 Mouseketeer

Thankyou so much,,Yes we are staying on propery, so in a nutshell ,using the service is very good for arriving ,,,as i can tag my luggage and they will retrieve it and bring to resort later,,,but when departing its not so good,,,can you tell me what service is a good cab for departing as i will be having 2 young kids and dont want them wondering all over airport to find my way,,,,and would like to be dropped off at checkin point...thankyou very much

17. goofy4tink

It's not so much that you are going to be wandering around....they drop at both sides of the airport, A and B, but it's on the lower level. So,you have to go back up to Level 3. Not a big deal. You could do one of two things if you don't want to use DME for your return to the airport. You could have your resort call a cab for you. They will call a cab that is 'approved' so that you shouldn't have to worry about what company you are using. It will cost about $40 or so. Or, you could use a towncar service. They will be about $50, plus tip. You could make the reservation yourself....I have used Tiffany Towncar as well as FL Tours (a board sponsor).

I'm not sure I would spend the money just to avoid the extra walking at the airport though. You could probably tell better how you feel about it once you are there, and have walked it in one direction. If you feel you don't want to do it in reverse for your return, then make other arrangements when you get to the resort.

18. casey49781

casey49781 Mouseketeer

I just wanted to say THANKYOU very much, You have been very helpful.....

19. CleveRocks

I understand what you are saying about "wandering around" and would prefer to just be let off at the proper spot, but you will be doing some "wandering around" the airport anyway, no matter what.

When your plane lands, you'll have to find your way from your gate to some sort of ground transportation. Nothing you do can prevent that.

On your way back to the airport, even if you take a taxi that lets you off right near Spirit Airlines' counter, you'll still need to make your way from there and find your own way to security and then to the departure gate to wait for and board your airplane.

So like I said, there's a lot of walking around unfamiliar territory no matter how you get back to the airport, so why spend a lot of money just to skip a little part of that walking?

20. Lewisc

Lewisc <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.

You can usually get a skycap (normal tip is $1-$2 /bag) where the DME bus drops you off. They will check your luggage for you, get you your BP and will give you directions.

21. CleveRocks

When I used DME and flew Spirit Airlines last May (2005), I used a skycap to help the 6 of us get our luggage to the Spirit counter. The skycap used the elevator and beat us to the counter. I'm not quite sure how he did this, and if it was "kosher" than he did this, but he had all of our stuff up at the counter and the ticket agent waved us to come on up to our luggage and check in, even though there was a small line waiting for service. Maybe he waited in line for us and held our place for us? I don't know, but he more than earned his tip!