Disney's Magical Express -- Luggage Tag Info

I used to love ME, but am getting a bit discouraged with it now. Last year and this year, our tags were not sent out, even though the reservations were made months in advance. Last year it was getting close to leaving and still no tags, so I called and they said they would send them out and did, so all was well.

This year, when I made the reservation, Disney assured me my ME info was in the system. I didn't receive my tags and it was 3 weeks out. I called Disney, they said they don't know what happened and to call ME. I call ME and they said Disney never sent my ME info to them. Geez.

When I do receive the tags, I notice there is only one tag pp. Reading here, I see this is the new policy? I don't have time to request additional tags.

During one of our ME trips from the airport, the driver never played the movie, he only had annoying non-Disney music playing the whole time, so we missed that little bit of excitement. I know, minor thing, but you look forward to it just the same. Plus, the last two ME drivers could have driven a bit more safely, imo.

I realize ME is "free" and I have loved it in the five or so years we have used it, but I am seeing a slight decline here in service. We shouldn't have to be calling for tags that don't show every year and calling for extra tags.

I guess I will use it until it stops being free, then it's back to town cars. Don't get me wrong, I am still grateful ME exists, but I hope it can get back to the great service I experienced during it's first three or so, years.

UPDATE: just got back from Disney. Used ME. The service was GREAT! They played the movie both ways. No long waits. I was really happy with the service.

I used to love ME, but am getting a bit discouraged with it now. Last year and this year, our tags were not sent out, even though the reservations were made months in advance. Last year it was getting close to leaving and still no tags, so I called and they said they would send them out and did, so all was well.

This year, when I made the reservation, Disney assured me my ME info was in the system. I didn't receive my tags and it was 3 weeks out. I called Disney, they said they don't know what happened and to call ME. I call ME and they said Disney never sent my ME info to them. Geez.

When I do receive the tags, I notice there is only one tag pp. Reading here, I see this is the new policy? I don't have time to request additional tags.

During one of our ME trips from the airport, the driver never played the movie, he only had annoying non-Disney music playing the whole time, so we missed that little bit of excitement. I know, minor thing, but you look forward to it just the same. Plus, the last two ME drivers could have driven a bit more safely, imo.

I realize ME is "free" and I have loved it in the five or so years we have used it, but I am seeing a slight decline here in service. We shouldn't have to be calling for tags that don't show every year and calling for extra tags.

I guess I will use it until it stops being free, then it's back to town cars. Don't get me wrong, I am still grateful ME exists, but I hope it can get back to the great service I experienced during it's first three or so, years.

I do understand your pain with DME I too am 3 weeks out and have not rec'vd my tags either when I call (which I have called 3 times now)I was told that it was in the system and I would them within 2 to 3weeks before arrival date okay then I called about something else regarding my ressie then I just checked to make sure that that was still the case with the tags and seems that they did not have any information of mine in the system and that the reason their computer system went down so I gave them everything again and still nothing has come I called yesterday to see where they are and was told I should see them this week and if I haven't seen them by Friday call again!

As far as the busing being free while I am sure you have heard nothing in life is free, why do you think Disney is so expensive (now no one jump on me here) I am the biggest loving Disney Fantatics out there but you know they have to built this cost in somewhere. Also the movies that they are supposed to show (which in the last 3 times I have gone) it has not been shown at all.

All I can say is I love Disney and I hope things get back to normal very very soon!

Two thoughts:

I'll bet you called the main Disney number (407-W-DISNEY) rather than DME itself (866-599-0951). DME cast members are the only ones who really know the DME policies and procedures. It IS is relatively new policy that they send out only one tag per person, but you truly can get as many as you need.

My second thought is that, for whatever reason, the request for additional tags is better made after you've already received your DME packet. Under normal circumstances, this should still get you ALL the tags you need weeks beforfe your trip.

I have been reading this thread all morning trying to figure out if I got 2 tags or 1 really long tag. :confused3 I kept thinking am I supposed to get 2 and it looks like there was a policy change somewhere an you now only get 1. Glad I didn't cut them in half!

My sister and I are only checking one bag each so it is not an issue. It would have been nice to have a little statement in the book that says "One tag is being issued per guest. For additional tags please call....."

Hi - We are leaving in 3 days for our trip.......We have never used the DME luggage service before. I want to but I am a bit nervous about my luggage getting lost. Does this happen? And if so how do I go about finding it?

Thanks for any info.

I had my luggage lost by Disney the last time we used it at Pop Century. Sadly, they were not very helpful. They blamed it on the airline and promised to call for me. I called the airline myself worried about the time limit to report lost luggage. I called the baggage room and they were nice but said they were working with the airline but my baggage still was not there. My airline said nobody from Disney called them at any time when I called to report my luggage finally showed up. It showed up in our room two days later with a tag that said it was misdeliverd by Disney to another resort the day we arrived.

I understand mistakes can be made but the truth would have been a lot better than lies and blame on the wrong party on Disney's behalf.

That said we have used ME 5 times and that was the only problem we ever had with luggage.

To answer the question who to call if lost that would be luggage services at your resort. If they say it is the airline call them as well. If you don't want to chance it don't put on your tags and pick it up and bring it to the bus yourself.

HTH

5 listed on magical express, coming in late at night, to save time we'll split up to get luggage and check in at magical express counter.

Do we all have to be there to check in? Flight is around midnight with young kids, so this will be tough already.

TIA

Not only do you not all need to appear at the Welcome Center, Disney strongly recommends (via verbal direction from CMs) that only one member of each party actually get in the line. Granted, there shouldn't be nearly as much of a line as there would be in the middle of the day - but you should be fine.

We leave in a few weeks and still have not received our DME tags.
We called and they said they had a problem with their computer system going down and we are in the system and we may still get the tags before we go if not, we are to turn in our baggage claim tickets at the Welcome Counter.

Several questions:
Has anyone let Disney claim their baggage and did it arrive in a timely fashion or did you claim your bags and take them with you on the bus?

Will they print up bus passes for us for both going to POP and returning to MCO at the end of our vacation or do I have to contact ME ourselves?

Thanks for helping us with this. We are nervous about this.

We leave in a few weeks and still have not received our DME tags.
We called and they said they had a problem with their computer system going down and we are in the system and we may still get the tags before we go if not, we are to turn in our baggage claim tickets at the Welcome Counter.

Several questions:
Has anyone let Disney claim their baggage and did it arrive in a timely fashion or did you claim your bags and take them with you on the bus?

Will they print up bus passes for us for both going to POP and returning to MCO at the end of our vacation or do I have to contact ME ourselves?

Thanks for helping us with this. We are nervous about this.
I can understand your feeling nervous, as anything new to us is stressful.

But let me assure you that the system for "what to do if I don't have my DME documents" has been around since Day One, which was more than 4 years ago.

And I can say in all confidence that here on the DIS, we've never -- EVER! -- read any negative experiences from people who've used this alternate method.

However, the delivery of your luggage will probably be a little slower (maybe an hour or more) than if you'd had the DME tags. This just represents the time it takes to dispatch a cast member to go to baggage claim to claim your bags, then to take them behond-the-scenes and print up DME tags, then get them to the collection area where all the rest of the DME-tagged bags automatically go.

When you check-in at the DME counter when you land in Orlando, they'll supply you with all the bus documents you'll need. No worries there.

Thanks for the response and putting us at ease.

We have gone over 20 plus trips and this just threw us a curve so we weren't sure what exactly to do about not getting the tags and tickets for ME.

I am about to use ME for the first time! We are staying at Bay Lake Towers at the Contemporary. We are flying in via Southwest. If we pickup our luggage at the airport ourselves to take to the bus, do they place our luggage underneath in the bus we travel on? Or, do we have to take it up into the seating area of the bus?

Does Southwest participate and actually deliver our baggage via ME without our claiming it at the baggage area ourselves? They did send us luggage tags..

Also, for the return trip to the airport, can we choose the time we want to leave the resort on the bus to the airport? We prefer to allow extra time and eat lunch their before traveling..

Thanks all!

I am about to use ME for the first time! We are staying at Bay Lake Towers at the Contemporary. We are flying in via Southwest. If we pickup our luggage at the airport ourselves to take to the bus, do they place our luggage underneath in the bus we travel on? Or, do we have to take it up into the seating area of the bus?
You aren't permitted to bring anything onto the bus that is too large to fit under your own seat or on the small overhead shelf. If you choose to get your checked luggage yourself, you bring it to the bus and the driver will load it under the bus for you, and then you'll get it back when you arrive at your resort.
Does Southwest participate and actually deliver our baggage via ME without our claiming it at the baggage area ourselves? They did send us luggage tags..
Regardless of airline, EVERYONE flying into MCO and who is named on the reservation at a WDW resort can have the automatic luggage delivery. It is only for the trip home that there is a difference depending on what airline you're using.
Also, for the return trip to the airport, can we choose the time we want to leave the resort on the bus to the airport? We prefer to allow extra time and eat lunch their before traveling..
No, you don't have that choice. On the morning of the day before your departure day, you'll get a written notice informing you of your assigned DME bus time. If you miss your assigned bus, Disney isn't responsible for arranging alternate transportation with you. Under no circumstances will they allow you to arrange for a later DME ride. Your ride will be scheduled for 2.75 to 3.25 hours before your scheduled flight time.

I hope all this info helps. I also strongly urge you to read the first post in the sticky titled something like "What participating airline really means."

No, you don't have that choice. On the morning of the day before your departure day, you'll get a written notice informing you of your assigned DME bus time. If you miss your assigned bus, Disney isn't responsible for arranging alternate transportation with you. Under no circumstances will they allow you to arrange for a later DME ride. Your ride will be scheduled for 2.75 to 3.25 hours before your scheduled flight time.

."

It sounds like the OP wants MORE time at the airport. Once you receive your pickup time notice, I'm pretty sure you can call and request to be scheduled on an earlier bus, but you need to do it in advance. You CAN NOT request a later bus.

We leave on 10/15. I took a trip to WDW on 8/1 of this year and used ME for the first time. They sent me my luggage tag prior to getting my other packet of information. This weekend I got the resort info, but I haven't gotten my ME tags yet. At what point do I call ME and request a tag be re-sent prior to my trip? (I realize there's still a lot of time, I'm just concerned because it didn't follow the same timeline as last time.)

You should see your DME packet any day now. They have been sending them out about 4-5 weeks prior to departure date. If you don't get it within a week or so, I would call DME and make sure they have all the correct info.

After 5 phone calls, I finally called ME direct and hopefully will have my packet in the next day or so. I still have not rec'd my MYW packet with my confirmations and WDW luggage tags. I have talked to several CMs and they can't seem to tell me why...nor are they willing to re-send it. I was told, if I do not receive the MYW by mail, I would receive it at the check-in desk. I'm not happy about this, but I'm tired of calling long distance and being told the same thing, over and over.

After 5 phone calls, I finally called ME direct and hopefully will have my packet in the next day or so. I still have not rec'd my MYW packet with my confirmations and WDW luggage tags. I have talked to several CMs and they can't seem to tell me why...nor are they willing to re-send it. I was told, if I do not receive the MYW by mail, I would receive it at the check-in desk. I'm not happy about this, but I'm tired of calling long distance and being told the same thing, over and over.
Did you book your trip youself or did you use some type of travel agent? I ask because many have had issues when using TAs. Disney/DME has to send any documents to the TA first, who in turn, is supposed to get the info out to the client. But some aren't so good about that.
Here's hoping all goes fine for you.

Out of the 4 of us that are going, my mom is flying separately since she is leaving a day early and come after us. Does the ME pass have to have her name on it? It has my husbands name but her flight information.

Out of the 4 of us that are going, my mom is flying separately since she is leaving a day early and come after us. Does the ME pass have to have her name on it? It has my husbands name but her flight information.
As long as your mom is on your room reservation it should be fine. There should be a voucher with her name on it though. Everyone that is named on the resort reservation, should be named on the DME vouchers.
But, I'm not sure of what her situation is....she seems to be leaving WDW before you, which will have no bearing on the DME voucher. I'm just not sure what you mean when you say 'come after us'.

Did you book your trip youself or did you use some type of travel agent? I ask because many have had issues when using TAs. Disney/DME has to send any documents to the TA first, who in turn, is supposed to get the info out to the client. But some aren't so good about that.
Here's hoping all goes fine for you.

I booked everything myself. So who knows???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter