(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
One big annoyance - my SIL sent me flowers here for my birthday and they were delivered here on my birthday but they didn't make it over to my room for 2 full days, after returning the call I received about them and asking CL staff twice.

You've got a great attitude about everything, but that's completely unacceptable, IMO.

Yikes, I hate to be reading so many reports about the bad food/service at Gasparilla's!

Well, it's finally here. We leave tomorrow bright and early and I'll be arriving at the GF early tomorrow evening! Sounds like the Christmas tree isn't up yet, but hopefully will be very soon. We're really looking forward to our first stay here!

Trish - we have been having fun. And then when back from the parks I've been too tired to get on my phone LOL!

We are spending our last night relaxing in the resort. We were supposed to spend the night at DHS for OL and Fantasmic but it was so humid and crowded, then it started to rain and I was done. I loved the new FP system, except at DHS...horrible. We had a FP to TSMM and the FP line was 30 minutes and wrapped around to where the old Jack Sparrow show was. Really? I asked the CM and he said, 'well, it's better than 90.' He said it jokingly but we decided to skip the ride.

We did Star Tours with a FP and the standby was showing like 10 minutes but the FP line was 10 people long outside the FP scanner still. I asked if standby was quicker and they said no, but we waited at least 10 minutes...and that really didn't bother me too much since I know with FP you can still have some wait time, but I'm not doing 30 minutes for a FP wait LOL!

Anyway, enough about that! I will say that the CMs at SL have been fabulous! And the texting service has been amazing!! I've used it for all sorts of questions, FP changes and my 4th FP...fabulous service!!

One big annoyance - my SIL sent me flowers here for my birthday and they were delivered here on my birthday but they didn't make it over to my room for 2 full days, after returning the call I received about them and asking CL staff twice. I can't take them home with me and she really didn't need to send them, but she did and that was sweet so it would have been nice had they walked them over to our room on my actual birthday to enjoy for the rest of the week here. And, to add to that, it's not like anyone even said Happy Birthday at breakfast or ay our spa check in...LOL! My husband has been spoiled in the past, on his birthdays at other resorts he's gotten a call from Mickey on the voicemail, chocolate, and a card. On my birthday I only got a happy birthday at V&As and my birthday flowers not delivered to my room. I know not to expect anything from Disney but the two times I came with my hubby he always got a little something but, again, that wasn't so much a biggie as I'm making it sound LOL!

I'll try to write a fuller report about our GRAND stay when I'm back this weekend!!

I don't know if I've said it but hugs and thanks to everyone on here for all the help and info over my many, many months of planning!!

Oh - and I'll second @branv that GGs was horrible when I went. There was hardly anything on the menu and I got the flatbread pizza and it was really inedible. I should have complained but didn't. Maybe I'll email when I get home.
I never get anything for my birthday either! :sad2:

We liked the texting service too! So much easier than hovering around the desk waiting for a turn:duck:

Safe travels home! :car:

You've got a great attitude about everything, but that's completely unacceptable, IMO.

Yikes, I hate to be reading so many reports about the bad food/service at Gasparilla's!

Well, it's finally here. We leave tomorrow bright and early and I'll be arriving at the GF early tomorrow evening! Sounds like the Christmas tree isn't up yet, but hopefully will be very soon. We're really looking forward to our first stay here!

I decided I would email guest services when we get home. I think the hardest thing about complaining is I was just too tired by the time I got back to the room - but I should have gone to the front desk last night and said something since we were back early.

That's a shame about Gaspy's.

The last time I ate there (2014) I really, really enjoyed my wonderful salad with grilled chicken and a citrus vinaigrette. The portion size was plenty big for two people. Very fresh, too, with lots of good veggies included. The flatbread was delicious, too. I don't think I'm gonna be happy if this Quick Service has gone downhill. :(

H

Have a great trip!

Thanks! By the way, did you notice who was playing the piano? I will really miss Chris, but we did meet a new young man named Wes (at least he looked young!). I also heard a while back that they had a female playing some nights.

I did t get a chance to see the piano played. Sorry! I was there early in the day both visits.

Thanks! By the way, did you notice who was playing the piano? I will really miss Chris, but we did meet a new young man named Wes (at least he looked young!). I also heard a while back that they had a female playing some nights.
I will be very interested to see and hear the new pianists. My memories of afternoons in the lobby are indelibly linked to Chris. He had a marvellous touch. His Polonaise could bring tears to your eyes and I recall a whole set of Debussy that was breathtaking. More importantly, he was a sweet man. Any replacement has large shoes to fill.

Trish - we have been having fun. And then when back from the parks I've been too tired to get on my phone LOL!

We are spending our last night relaxing in the resort. We were supposed to spend the night at DHS for OL and Fantasmic but it was so humid and crowded, then it started to rain and I was done. I loved the new FP system, except at DHS...horrible. We had a FP to TSMM and the FP line was 30 minutes and wrapped around to where the old Jack Sparrow show was. Really? I asked the CM and he said, 'well, it's better than 90.' He said it jokingly but we decided to skip the ride.

We did Star Tours with a FP and the standby was showing like 10 minutes but the FP line was 10 people long outside the FP scanner still. I asked if standby was quicker and they said no, but we waited at least 10 minutes...and that really didn't bother me too much since I know with FP you can still have some wait time, but I'm not doing 30 minutes for a FP wait LOL!

Anyway, enough about that! I will say that the CMs at SL have been fabulous! And the texting service has been amazing!! I've used it for all sorts of questions, FP changes and my 4th FP...fabulous service!!

One big annoyance - my SIL sent me flowers here for my birthday and they were delivered here on my birthday but they didn't make it over to my room for 2 full days, after returning the call I received about them and asking CL staff twice. I can't take them home with me and she really didn't need to send them, but she did and that was sweet so it would have been nice had they walked them over to our room on my actual birthday to enjoy for the rest of the week here. And, to add to that, it's not like anyone even said Happy Birthday at breakfast or ay our spa check in...LOL! My husband has been spoiled in the past, on his birthdays at other resorts he's gotten a call from Mickey on the voicemail, chocolate, and a card. On my birthday I only got a happy birthday at V&As and my birthday flowers not delivered to my room. I know not to expect anything from Disney but the two times I came with my hubby he always got a little something but, again, that wasn't so much a biggie as I'm making it sound LOL!

I'll try to write a fuller report about our GRAND stay when I'm back this weekend!!

I don't know if I've said it but hugs and thanks to everyone on here for all the help and info over my many, many months of planning!!

Oh - and I'll second @branv that GGs was horrible when I went. There was hardly anything on the menu and I got the flatbread pizza and it was really inedible. I should have complained but didn't. Maybe I'll email when I get home.
Ugh, the flatbread pizza was one of the things they really did well :-( what's going on thete?

That's horrible you didn't get your birthday flowers on the day, so you could enjoy them. And 30 min FP wait for TSMM wow. I've heard WDW is super crowded now. I only go in slow seasons.

I will be very interested to see and hear the new pianists. My memories of afternoons in the lobby are indelibly linked to Chris. He had a marvellous touch. His Polonaise could bring tears to your eyes and I recall a whole set of Debussy that was breathtaking. More importantly, he was a sweet man. Any replacement has large shoes to fill.
My sister and I so enjoyed his playing....I would always ask him for the theme song from Beauty and the Beast. (love, love, love it!) The last time we saw him, he spotted us in the lobby and started playing the song without my asking. Two weeks later he was gone. Sad, but happy memories...

My sister and I so enjoyed his playing....I would always ask him for the theme song from Beauty and the Beast. (love, love, love it!) The last time we saw him, he spotted us in the lobby and started playing the song without my asking. Two weeks later he was gone. Sad, but happy memories...
Oh, that is the sweetest !
:hug:

Ugh, the flatbread pizza was one of the things they really did well :-( what's going on thete?

That's horrible you didn't get your birthday flowers on the day, so you could enjoy them. And 30 min FP wait for TSMM wow. I've heard WDW is super crowded now. I only go in slow seasons.

LOL - I thought I was going during a slow week! I read that the week before Thanksgiving was one of the best for crowds and cooler weather. But, I think everyone read the same thing! Crowds were originally around 3 when I first started planning and by the time we got there, predictions were up to 5 & 6's in some parks. Although, 5 & 6's to me feel like 8 & 9's.

I even talked to several staff and they all said it was dead the same week last year and it didn't usually get busy until the weekend before Thanksgiving.

And it was so hot. It was in the mid to high 80's most of the week and with humidity the 'feels like' temp was 90 or higher on a couple days. I was also expecting cool nights....nope. But I can't blame Disney for that. It's been abnormally hot on most of the east coast, which just didn't fit well with the weather I was hoping for!

Not sure about the flat bread but the pepperoni had a weird flavor and the cheese had little flavor. And I'm usually not too picky about any kind of pizza!

I'm a little late but have an amazing trip!!

We enjoyed hearing Chris's (Christian's?) music for years, but we unfortunately never got to know him because we didn't start "visiting" with the pianist or band until we started taking trips without the kids a few years ago. That is when we first met Wes, so he's been there at least since February 2013 and has been there every time we've been since then...although there have been others mixed in there as well. We only saw Chris playing once during that time period (I think in October 2014?) and we wondered where he had been. We didn't know he was ill:( I was very sad to hear of his passing. I just wanted to say that we really like Wes! He is very talented, and is very good about playing requested songs:)
LOL - I thought I was going during a slow week! I read that the week before Thanksgiving was one of the best for crowds and cooler weather. But, I think everyone read the same thing! Crowds were originally around 3 when I first started planning and by the time we got there, predictions were up to 5 & 6's in some parks. Although, 5 & 6's to me feel like 8 & 9's.

I even talked to several staff and they all said it was dead the same week last year and it didn't usually get busy until the weekend before Thanksgiving.

And it was so hot. It was in the mid to high 80's most of the week and with humidity the 'feels like' temp was 90 or higher on a couple days. I was also expecting cool nights....nope. But I can't blame Disney for that. It's been abnormally hot on most of the east coast, which just didn't fit well with the weather I was hoping for!

Not sure about the flat bread but the pepperoni had a weird flavor and the cheese had little flavor. And I'm usually not too picky about any kind of pizza!
We skipped our FP for TSM for the same reason in October...the FP line was ridiculously long! I hope Disney can figure out how to solve this before the new TS and SW lands open at HS...can you imagine how long FP lines will be if they don't!!?? The same can be said for Avatar land:(

Tom, I am really curious to know what your thoughts are on the Swan/Dolphin since you just stayed there. I have to admit that I am really excited to hear that Marriott is buying Starwood since my DH has Marriott gold status and we could use points to stay at Swan/Dolphin in the future...not that we would stop staying at Disney resorts, but we often stay at a Marriott the night we fly in for a Disney trip because I refuse to pay GF prices just to sleep there (our flight often doesn't arrive until 11:30 PM)!

Alright, so here's my longer review of the GRAND for those interested!

Decor/Theme: A+
Convenience: B
Cleanliness: A+
Comfort Level of Room: A
View from Room: N/A
Quiet Level in Room: B-
Friendliness: A+
Lounge Comfort: A
Lounge Offerings: A
Value: B-
Guest Services: B-
Restaurant Options: B+
Pools: B+
Texting Service: A+++
Overall: I'd give it an A. I'd stay here again, but I don't think it's our "home away from home" if we return to Disney

The decor and theme were gorgeous. The landscaping of the grounds was beautiful and well maintained. It was also very clean. I didn't see garbage anywhere on property. I was a little worried about the cleanliness of our room given some recent reviews, but our room was always spotless. I am a freak for cleanliness (thanks Mom :goodvibes) and I really couldn't find anything to complain about. The furniture was in great shape and didn't look worn. If I had to find one thing I did see one spot where the seam in the wall paper was coming apart - but that really is being picky! Most importantly, the bed was super comfy! The sheets were a good quality, but like I mentioned, I would have liked a comforter on the bed. Otherwise room comfort would have been an A+. There was plenty of space in our room and we had plenty of room to unpack comfortably with lots of drawers and closet space. The number of outlets in the room was amazing. One of my pet peeves at hotels is when you can't find an outlet for your phone. This room had outlets at both nightstands, on the dresser with the TV, and on the desk. I put N/A for our view because we really didn't have a view. We had a big tree outside our balcony so we couldn't see anything but a little bit of the pool through the tree. But I didn't request a view of anything so I don't feel it's fair to grade the view. As far as the quiet level - at first it was great. We were away from the lounge in a dormer room with an A/C closet on one side of us. It seemed very quiet...until a couple of days before we left. Our first couple of days we had PPO breakfasts so we were up and out early. But the last two days we had slower mornings. The family across the hall would be up around 6:45 and they would just let the door slam shut or they'd put the bolt out so that the door would slam, hit the bolt, and bounce a few times. And they had a young child that sounded like once the door opened he/she would go running down the hall screaming. We found out that if someone is in the hallway talking you can hear it as if they are in your room. Once they were gone for the morning it was fine. Also, the last night, we heard a lot of noise above us. Almost like someone was pulling furniture across the floor and jumping around until about 10:00. We were still up packing so it wasn't a big deal, but I couldn't figure out where the noise was coming from since we were in a dormer room. Either there was a room that partially overlapped our room on the 4th floor or a room to the side of ours. Every now and again late at night when it was really quiet I could hear a toilet flush, but that's common. One night my husband said he was awoken by a couple fighting really loud and to the point he thought there might have been a physical confrontation where he almost called the front desk. I am a heavy sleeper so I didn't hear anything. Overall, it was really quiet but there were periods were there was a lot of noise.

Staff was extremely friendly so I gave that ranking an A+. However, I gave guest services overall a B-. There seemed to be misinformation about the monorail hours and I already mentioned about not getting my birthday flowers for 2 full days and I had to return a call and talk to two different CMs in the lounge before they actually showed up.

Overall the lounge was pretty comfortable and relaxing. There were maybe two times on our trip during the hot apps time where it seemed a little hectic. I didn't see anyone hoarding food or being generally gross. I did see a little girl grab gummy bears with her hand but her mom saw her and got on to her quickly! They were constantly replenishing food and I felt like there was a good variety. I didn't plan on the lounge offerings as being a meal so I was happy for the offerings as just snacks. The only big disappointment is that the scones were always overcooked - to the point that most were browned. If anyone has specific questions about food offerings, just let me know.

We ate at all of the TS restaurants except Citricos and they were all good. But, GG brought the overall rating down to the B+. It was an F in my book. In fairness, I only ate there once. There just weren't a lot of options and the flatbread was really, really bad.

The pools were nice and clean, but small. And I thought they were supposed to be heated? It was really hot during our trip, except on our cabana day - go figure! But the pool didn't really feel heated at all. Maybe because the days before and after were so hot they didn't have the pools heated at that time?

I already mentioned this but the texting service was awesome. I was probably getting on their nerves because I texted about everything - monorail/boat operations, cancelling an ADR, changing my FP options while in the MK, 4th FPs, general questions, etc. The CMs were always quick to response and super friendly! This really was great!

Overall, I still don't know that the value was worth what we paid, even with our discount. With the monorail being down on our MK PPO hour and on our Epcot day we still had to use buses and had to bus to DHS and Disney Springs. The boat was nice for our early MK day and we did get to use the monorail to and from MK on our party night. But for the price and having to use buses most of the time, I think we could have stayed at the Waldorf and saved almost $1,000 and had a suite with a balcony and views of the fireworks and still used their hotel shuttle or even used Uber to and from the parks and saved money and not had to wait for crowded buses. I like staying on Disney property but for the cost of the Grand comparing it to a suite at someplace on property but not Disney - like the Waldorf...I think the value really would have been better.

So - those are my thoughts! If anyone has any questions, let me know!

We enjoyed hearing Chris's (Christian's?) music for years, but we unfortunately never got to know him because we didn't start "visiting" with the pianist or band until we started taking trips without the kids a few years ago. That is when we first met Wes, so he's been there at least since February 2013 and has been there every time we've been since then...although there have been others mixed in there as well. We only saw Chris playing once during that time period (I think in October 2014?) and we wondered where he had been. We didn't know he was ill:( I was very sad to hear of his passing. I just wanted to say that we really like Wes! He is very talented, and is very good about playing requested songs:)

We skipped our FP for TSM for the same reason in October...the FP line was ridiculously long! I hope Disney can figure out how to solve this before the new TS and SW lands open at HS...can you imagine how long FP lines will be if they don't!!?? The same can be said for Avatar land:(

Tom, I am really curious to know what your thoughts are on the Swan/Dolphin since you just stayed there. I have to admit that I am really excited to hear that Marriott is buying Starwood since my DH has Marriott gold status and we could use points to stay at Swan/Dolphin in the future...not that we would stop staying at Disney resorts, but we often stay at a Marriott the night we fly in for a Disney trip because I refuse to pay GF prices just to sleep there (our flight often doesn't arrive until 11:30 PM)!

Tom I'm curious about the Swan/Dolphin as well!

Dispro - I hope so as well. I feel really guilty because we bought a park ticket for DHS and ended up leaving after 3 hours....what a waste of money! It was just so humid that day and the crowds were so heavy. We had lunch at MM and then used a FP at Star Tours. We did some shopping and went to TSMM. We weren't going to wait 30 minutes for our FP at TSMM so we texted and they ended up getting us a FP for GMR. We did that and it looked like it was about to start pouring rain, so we headed out. The plan was to then go to ToT with out FP and do F! and OL but we just weren't "in to it" for some reason. I think for me it was the humidity. I was just sticky and felt crowded by people. Looking back, I wish we had just sat down somewhere and had some water and then stayed to the plan. Oh well...lessons learned! I am excited for Avatar Land but hope they figure out how to spread people out in the park. I feel like Epcot feels so open but DHS is just laid out in a way that feels crowded to me. It's the one park where I'm always like, "how did I get here?"

As we approach our last night, I wanted to give a brief review. For perspective, I should do a full disclosure that we are one of the families who were moved to the GF because of WL construction. We have previously stayed at WL, BC, CR, POFQ and Pop.

We were given an amazing lagoon view room, #8125, which is first floor Boca Chica. There was a pine tree that kept this from being a 100% theme park view, but it was amazing nonetheless. You simply had to lean a little left to see the castle and the fireworks were somewhat obscured. But otherwise stunning for a lagoon view. On the negative side, my 2 yo is having PTSD from the sound of the fireworks. It was like a canon going off every night next to our room and made his bedtime slide to way later. So keep that in mind if you have young ones scared of fireworks. I would have loved it during our DINK days!

There was a big snafu with our room on check in. Our flight landed at 10:10 am, and I received a text that out room wasn't ready. But, we drove to the resort anyway and checked in just to be sure. We were reassured the room would be ready between 3-4 pm. We headed to a park (big mistake with a 2 yo on a long travel day, btw), and by the time we got back to the resort at 6:00 pm the room was still showing not ready. I'd been up since 3:30 am with a really hard week previously, so I was pretty wobbly at this point. Thankfully the lovely CM at the desk went straight to work to figure out the problem. She could not have been sorrier, but of course it wasn't her fault! There was a computer snafu, and apparently I wasn't the first.

My thoughts on the resort and the room are that they are lovely. But I also noticed a lot of issues unbecoming of such an expensive resort, even if it is Disney economics pricing. The tile in our shower had a hole in it by the faucet, the grout was filthy. The paint was scratched and dingy. The ceiling fan and bath fan squealed. The mattress was comfy at first but then rather lumpy after a bit. The linens and patio were very well kept though. What really surprised me is the ridiculous lack of drawer space. It wouldn't have been enough for two adults to unpack, let alone a family. What were they thinking?

As mentioned, Gasparilla was appalling. Just this morning we tried to run in quickly to grab pastries, and of course got stuck in a huge line bc to get the pastries you had to get in the hot food line, which never moves. Then, despite it being 8:30 am and prime breakfast hour, there was only one cashier, so that line was backed up to the food counter! It's nuts. Do they even have a manager?!

Transportation has been great. Almost no wait for monorails, which were running at good hours. We only used buses three times, but they were on time according to the sign.

The weather was awful. I'm from Texas, but still hate the heat. And reallllly hate humidity. The things my hair did...*shudder* The crowds were not at all what I expected. People can say, "it's the new 10 point scale", but my teeth. All the crowd predictors got it wrong, no matter what they want to say. I'm not saying it's their fault, but nonetheless they were wrong.

Also, my DS got a horrible goose egg falling at Epcot. I'm a first time mom so prone to being nervous, but still... it was ugly. We had to run across the park to two wrong places bc two different CMs misdirected us where the first aid was. I was so close to screaming at someone out of stress and fear. I didn't, but still. What if this had been a real emergency?

So, in short: I like a lot of things about GF. I loved a few things and really disliked a few things. All in all, I wouldn't pay the extra money to stay here. If it cost the same as the other places I stayed, it would be a top contender certainly. But as it stands, my faves still remain a tie between BC and WL, with CR second and GF third. If CR and GF were the same cost, it would be a tie between them. That being said, I do wonder if my opinion would be different were it just DH and I traveling, where we could have more relaxing down time, more signature and more evening drinks ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter