Disney's FORT WILDERNESS CABINS & CAMPGROUNDS Information & Questions

Woohoo! Just found this gem of a thread. We'll be staying at FWC for the first time in October! :D

So here is my question:
I will be in the middle of college classes during our trip, and I will need to be online a lot. Will the cabins have fairly reliable wifi? I know we've had some issues with wifi at other resorts before(nothing major- just spotty service), and I wondered about FWC. Thanks!

Last edited:
Woohoo! Just found this gem of a thread. We'll be staying at FWC for the first time in October! :D

So here is my question:
I will be in the middle of college classes during our trip, and I will need to be online a lot. Will the cabins have fairly reliable wifi? I know we've had some issues with wifi at other resorts before(nothing major- just spotty service), and I wondered about FWC. Thanks!

Hi there :wave:

Glad you found us! My dad and I both had laptops and used them daily. I honestly can't remember having any issues with Wi-Fi at the cabins. If we did, it must has been minimal or else I would have remembered. But I totally get what you're saying...it can be spotty. I found this to be the case at the WL on most days. Not sure if it was just my room location or if this was the problem throughout the resort.

Good luck with school!!! And happy planning!!

i will be canceling our October 16-24 reservation (preferred pet loop) soon. If anyone would like to grab it just let me know and we can coordinate. I believe that time slot is fully booked.

Howdy!:wave:

MILITARY SALUTE TICKETS AND ROOM DISCOUNT EXTENDED THROUGH DECEMBER - 2016 EXTENSION COMING SOON.

Steve first made the announcement HERE and then Disney officially announced it HERE.

i will be canceling our October 16-24 reservation (preferred pet loop) soon. If anyone would like to grab it just let me know and we can coordinate. I believe that time slot is fully booked.

You are probably totally right!...completely booked. October use to be a slow time. Now with so many schools having a Fall Break, it seems like the masses descend upon Disney. Still a great time to go, though...less heat.

Howdy!:wave:

MILITARY SALUTE TICKETS AND ROOM DISCOUNT EXTENDED THROUGH DECEMBER - 2016 EXTENSION COMING SOON.

Steve first made the announcement HERE and then Disney officially announced it HERE.

Howdy back at ya :wave2: Thanks for the info, dear KOOK!! :teeth:

Just found this thread. We live in Central Fl and are Fl Res annual pass holders. We love the Fort and try to camp two or three times a year there. We just spent a long weekend over Easter and have a November and December trip booked. Can't wait to be back, but for this Fl girl, the weather has to be cooler.

We were already book at SSR with an RCI exchange December 13 - 20, but have been hoping for the tickets to be extended!!!! We will be visiting the Fort while there:)

Yay! You've got yourself a Disney resort! When your daughter is a bit older, y'all will have to try the HDDR. She'll love it!

Just found this thread. We live in Central Fl and are Fl Res annual pass holders. We love the Fort and try to camp two or three times a year there. We just spent a long weekend over Easter and have a November and December trip booked. Can't wait to be back, but for this Fl girl, the weather has to be cooler.

Glad you found us :teeth: I totally agree about the weather. We live in South Georgia, so we totally understand the heat issues :upsidedow December is a GREAT time to visit Disney; nice and cool! We're doing a quick Labor Day trip this year, and I'm already dreading the hot park days. Oh well...thank goodness for great pools, right?!

I skimmed through the posts but couldn't find what I was looking for. We are coming in November and would like to do the carriage ride. I think it was on Allears that I saw they are only offered in the evening (is that current?) - do they take you on a lighted path or something cause wouldn't it be dark by 7pm in November?

Another question - for Hoop dee doo, can you request a child's meal? My little one doesn't eat chicken or ribs but I don't see this as an option so I assume we're out of luck.

MudBud, I want to let you know that we have visited the HDDR each and every visit during our stay at the Fort. Last summer, our waiter asked our four year old grandson if he would like Mac 'n Cheese. What a hit that bowl was with him. I believe that you can ask for that when they bring your food out to your table, or even before, when serving your beverage. Enjoy.

MudBud, I want to let you know that we have visited the HDDR each and every visit during our stay at the Fort. Last summer, our waiter asked our four year old grandson if he would like Mac 'n Cheese. What a hit that bowl was with him. I believe that you can ask for that when they bring your food out to your table, or even before, when serving your beverage. Enjoy.

Thank you bjschil!

We just returned from 8 days at the Fort in late June. I am doing a little bit of a trip report but figured I'd post some thoughts specific to FW and our cabin here since I got so much great info from you all :)

We LOVED our Cabin.

We requested 2100 loop and that was exactly what we got. We were the very last cabin in the loop so it made getting out of our cabin and getting on the road super easy in the morning! Also we were just a short 5 minute walk from the Meadow and there was a bus stop just across the street from us. We never heard any noise from the bus even when returning for mid-day naps.

Our cabin looked just like the pics. You can see there is some age to them but we were very pleased with the cleanliness. Housekeeping was just right - on the days we left out the "Do Not Disturb" sign they left us a bag with more towels and stuff for the cabin.

Showers and hot water was fine for us. We rotated showers: both DD's at night, myself and DS in the morning. DW would shower when we came back for the day or just whenever she wanted to. We never ran out of hot water.

Even though we had visited Fort Wilderness before and I had studied the map and the transportation information it still was bit confusing sometimes. I imagine people who are unfamiliar when they check in could be quite confused. That is part of the reason people complain or say you MUST have a golf cart. Once we got the hang of things we were fine. It would have been fun to have a cart but honestly we did not need it at all.

We drove to most parks each day so it was nice to have our car parked just a few steps from our door. We found the boat to MK and the resorts to be very pleasant. Just needed some extra patience a few times.

So much to see and do at Fort Wilderness. Our kids wanted to stay another couple of days just to do things at the resort. We had a great time at Hoop-Dee-Doo, BBQ and the Chip and Dale campfire. The pool was fine - more of a nice campground pool than a normal Disney pool. Very relaxing overall.

We just loved our visit to Fort Wilderness!

Last edited:
.......We just loved our visit to Fort Wilderness!

Back to reality, huh!? ;) Sounds like y'all had a fantastic trip to WDW! So glad you enjoyed your FW stay. Thanks a million for posting your comments and thoughts. I know what you mean about having patience waiting for the boats. It can get very crowded during busy times. And you're right about the pool, too. It's good...just not great.

Now it's time to start planning that next Disney vacation! :teeth: Enjoy the rest of your summer!

As many of you know, the WL will be undergoing some major additions...a DVC expansion. WDWKOOK posted this on the Wilderness Lodge Expansion Thread. Thought some of you might be interested to see what's going on with the Fort's next door neighbor.

Friday, July 10, 2015 | Posted by OTPN Administrator

Disney’s Wilderness Lodge will be undergoing multiple refurbishment projects through 2017. Work will begin in October, with the Hidden Springs leisure pool area, resort beach, playground, and recreation fire pit closing for renovation as early as October 26, 2015. To best assist Guests with planning their vacations, a team of Cast Members will advise Guests of the work taking place and assist with their questions. Guests will also receive a pre-arrival letter.

Take a look at the following frequently asked questions for more information about this project:

1) What are the refurbishment dates? When will work be complete?

Disney’s Wilderness Lodge will be undergoing multiple refurbishment projects beginning in October 2015 and continuing through 2017.

2) How will this work impact my stay?

Throughout this project, Disney is committed to providing a great Guest experience. At certain times of day, there may be some noise and we may have alternative paths of travel throughout the resort. Construction related noise will likely take place between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m. to insure minimal impact to Guests.

3) Why are they removing the current Hidden Springs leisure pool?

As part of the resort enhancement project, the Hidden Springs leisure pool area will be expanded to include a larger pool and more deck space, as well as a hot tub area.

4) I like the pool the way it is now because it’s smaller and more intimate than the feature pool. Why are you changing that?

Muliple DVC Members and Guests stated that they would like to see enhanced offerings at the resort. As a result, the resort will be increasing the pool area, including a larger pool and more deck space, as well as a hot tub area.

5) How long will the Hidden Springs pool be closed? Is there another pool available?

The Hidden Springs pool will be closed for an extended period while the area is under construction. However, the Silver Creek Springs, the resort feature pool, is available and features a water slide, hot tub, and children's water play area.

6) Will the Teton Boat and Bike Rentals close? Will there be an alternative?

Teton Boat and Bike Rentals will be closed in late October while refurbishment work is completed in the area. As an alternative, bikes will be available for rent near the jogging trail. If you would like to rent a boat or enjoy some fishing, you are welcome to visit the marina at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground.

7) Will the beach and playground area close? Any alternatives?

Yes. The beach and playground area at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground remain available throughout this refurbishment work as an alternative.

8) Will the nature trail close?

Although the nature trails at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge and Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground are closing in early October, Guests do have the opportunity to enjoy the great outdoors on the paved New Balance jogging trail which connects Disney’s Wilderness Lodge with Disney’s Fort Wilderness & Campground on a 2.5 mile path.

9) What about the fire pit? Will it be closed as well?

The recreation fire pit will be closing in late October while we complete refurbishment work in the area. As an alternative, Guests are able to visit the Meadow Trading Post area of Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground for Chip ‘n Dale’s Campfire Sing-A-Long, which includes a nightly campfire followed by a movie under the stars.

10) Will there be a nightly movie under the stars at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge?

The recreation staff will host a nightly movie movie indoors in the Carolwood Pacific community room in the Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge for Guests.

11) Why are the spa treatment rooms at Sturdy Branches Health Club closed?

In order to preserve the tranquil spa experience, treatments at Sturdy Branches Health Club will be temporarily unavailable from late October through early February due to construction noise in the area. Spa treatments are available at a number of locations at the Walt Disney World Resort, including nearby at Senses – A Disney Spa at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort.

12) Is watercraft transportation available during the refurbishment?

Yes. Watercraft transportation will continue to operate as normal.

Just FYI....found this on Dis News :disrocks:

New Tour at WDW

Escape to Walt's Wilderness: Meet at the Contemporary Resort's Marina. Hop aboard pontoon boats for an eco-history tour of Bay Lake as you travel to Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground. From there, go to the shore of Marshmallow Marsh for breakfast on the beach. After you've had your fill, a horse-drawn wagon will take you to Settlement and Pioneer Hall, then you will hike into a clearing in the woods for an archery lesson. Once you've mastered the bullseye, head to Tri-Circle-D Ranch horse barn to meet the Walt Disney World horses. A PhotoPass photographer will be available and the photos will be available on Memory Maker.

hello fello dis-lovers, i am not looking for sympathy but i know all of you can relate, my mother just passed 10 days ago and i feel like i am handling it fairly well, we are headed down to the magic place in 47 days and by then alot of the legal stuff to deal with should be over, i cannot wait to let go and be free to be where dreams do come true....hope everyone has awesome vacations!

Aww (((Kimberly))) I can relate having lost my mother 3 1/2 months ago. Your trip will do you a world of good! It did me. I can't wait to go back. I'm missin' the Fort!

Screen Shot 2015-08-11 at 7.30.47 AM.png

This NoC (Notice of Commencement) was filed last month. According to the attached documents, it appears that the following loops' cabins will be/are being rehabbed: 100, 2700, 2300, 2200, 2400, 2500, 2600, 2800, 2100. I'll be "in the area" (Poly) this month and I'll try to get over to FW and see if I can get any photos of any work being done, if someone doesn't post some before me;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter