Disney's FORT WILDERNESS CABINS & CAMPGROUNDS Information & Questions

My family group of 4 tent camped at FW twice. We are a patient bunch of folks and had no problem simply using the internal buses. No need for golf carts to our way of thinking!

We are camping at the fort in a few weeks and bringing bikes to get around. We'll just use those and the buses and see how it goes.

We are camping at the fort in a few weeks and bringing bikes to get around. We'll just use those and the buses and see how it goes.
That's a GREAT idea! You'll be totally fine with bikes. I wanted to rent bikes when we were there (and keep them the entire stay) but they only rented by the day and had to be turned in before dark. Y'all can even ride over to the WL on the trails...which is what I wanted to do in the early morning when the sun was coming up before it got too hot.

Happy packing! Enjoy your stay!

Yes, bikes are an excellent way to get around. We stay at Wilderness Lodge and bring our bikes and ride back and forth to the campground all the time.

It took an act of God and congress to get all our bikes on our new rack, but they are there and ready for tomorrow! Whew. Glad my kids are way into bike riding right now, and I'm very excited to explore the trails!

This is our 2nd stay at the cabins ( here in our cabin right now) still love it! We were originally booked at WL CL but decided we needed more room and came back. It is just as great as I remember. It is so nice and peaceful here after the craziness of the parks!
That's what I always say about the fort too!! we stay in our RV and I just feel this total calm wash over me when we get back to the fort after being in the parks!

Hello all, can anyone tell me if the Chip & Dale thingy is at 8:00 right now? We'll be visiting one night next week and trying to make it there in time. Also, at this time of year, what time do the hay rides stop for the night?

Hello all, can anyone tell me if the Chip & Dale thingy is at 8:00 right now? We'll be visiting one night next week and trying to make it there in time. Also, at this time of year, what time do the hay rides stop for the night?

You will really enjoy the Fort, and won't regret visiting at all! This is what I found...

7:30pm - Campfire lighting and S'Mores
8:00pm - Chip -n- Dale Campfire Sing-A-Long
8:40pm - The Movie Starts

You can buy S'Mores kits at the concession stand that is right behind the "theatre". We've always gotten there early to secure a seat on the front row. Chip n' Dale will venture through all the rows of seats, so no worries if you are in the back. Make sure you double check the times when you arrive next week at your resort.

I'm not sure about the hayride???? Sorry. I do know that it's first come, first serve and they usually do 2 rides. Sometimes the second hayride is a "fireworks" ride. You will have around 15-20 minutes riding around the Fort, then they will park close to the beach to watch the fireworks for 25 minutes...give or take a little.

Happy Packing :teeth:
Heather

We've been there 4 times at various times of year and never saw any bugs.
I figgered they must spray for them.

We check-in for our first stay at the cabins in 48 days!! I am so excited. Looking at the map, I really want to stay in the 2100 Loop and when I did my online check-in I was happily surprised to see that I could request which loop I wanted. I checked both 2100 and 2200, but do you think that I will have better luck getting 2100 if I only select the one?

We check-in for our first stay at the cabins in 48 days!! I am so excited. Looking at the map, I really want to stay in the 2100 Loop and when I did my online check-in I was happily surprised to see that I could request which loop I wanted. I checked both 2100 and 2200, but do you think that I will have better luck getting 2100 if I only select the one?

It really won't matter, in my opinion -- a lot of times they are able to honor requests, but they are just that, a request. I had requested loop 2100 but when we checked in they had a cabin available in 2700 and off we went to that cabin. We had a split stay with the first part at the GF where we were booked lagoon view. I requested any building but Big Pine Key and an upper floor -- upon checkin, off we went to Big Pine Key - on the first floor, lol!

Enjoy the cabins, we had a blast and can't wait to go back. The "kids" (2 out of 3 are out of college and 1 is soon to go) loved every part of "camping," and they also loved doing the boats back and forth for transportation. If you haven't rented a golf cart, it really is worth the $60 per day as you are able to come and go as you please and not be dependent on the internal buses.

Tom

I got back from my trip a week ago and just wanted to report that biking around worked GREAT for my family! My kids are 9 and 12. It was so much fun! We even biked over to WL for lunch, which was a longish trip but very nice and totally doable. We biked down to the beach for fireworks a few nights and actually never used a bus, now that I think about it. We drove to the water park and took the boat to the MK.

Trying to plot when we can get back to the fort....it's such a great place!

Anyone ever spend the week sleeping on the couch? We will be staying in the cabins 6/9-6/15. This is a "Friends Trip" - DD(16) & Friend, DS(8) & Friend, me and mom of DS's Friend. I think the boys will want the bunk beds, the girls on the Murphy bed and I was going to let the friend's mom sleep in the bedroom with the boys. That puts me on the couch. I am not real picky about where I sleep, but just wondering what others experiences are.

Well, my dad did, but he has to sleep from a large reclined position as he can get very ill if he sleeps flat or with only a pillow or two. He never complained, but he only sleeps 2-4 hours at a time. So he probably slept a couple hours, got up and moved around then went back to sleep. He did try one night on the murphy, but could not get a good enough position.

Here is a partial view of the couch, with the murphy bed in the wall. If you sleep on the couch, the murphy bed will be close to the couch. This picture is from a HA cabin so the width of the cabin is about 18" larger than a regular cabin, so I do not know if that would make the couch and murphy bed closer or not.

IMG_4805-S.jpg

Only 34 more days until we check into the fort :yay:
Reserve golf cart - check!
Place order with Garden Grocer - check!
Made surprise shirts for the boys - check!
KeepCalmShirt2.jpg
There is still a ton to do and these 34 days are going to fly by quick!!!

Fwiw I requested 2100 and also got assigned 2700. But at check in I asked if she wouldn't mind double checking to see if anything in 2100 was available and they switched us! It was an easy walk to the meadow pool and activities. We didn't miss not having a golf cart.

I'm glad I found this thread! I haven't read through the entire thread so I apologize if this has already been discussed but I'd like some information on the archery offered at Ft Wilderness. We think our 13yo son would love it and are thinking of giving him this opportunity as part of his birthday gift. I'd like some info on it before I sign him up so I'm hoping I can get some help from those of you who've done it or know someone who has. Anything you care to share with me would be greatly appreciated. Also, we will likely do this on a day we will be at MK and would like to know that best way to get there on Disney transportation.

Here is an article on All Ears regarding the Archery at FW: http://land.allears.net/blogs/photoblog/2010/03/ready_archery_experience_revie.html

I think it looks like it might be fun to try myself, just have not had the chance yet.

As for getting there from MK. Go out the MK gates and walk straight to the middle docks and get in the line for Fort Wilderness. When you get to Fort Wilderness, you will walk through the Settlement, past Trails End and HDDR to the bus stop. Take the Orange or Yellow bus and let the driver know you need to go to the Bike Barn. They should be able to direct you. I would probably take the Orange and get off at the stop across from Meadows. The Bike Barn is behind there. You could even walk if you feel like it. I would plan to be at the boat dock in front of MK no later than 60 minutes before you want to be at the Bike Barn, possibly 90 minutes.

Here is a FW Map to help: http://www.wdwinfo.com/maps/fwmap.pdf

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!