Disney's Descendants; are American kids ready for Hurling?

NotUrsula

DIS Veteran
Hurling the sport, that is. The Irish national game. (Rather a lot like Lacrosse, only generally more violent. The girl's version, Camogie, is a bit less physical, but not all that much.)

I don't think it's a true spoiler to mention that the Descendants features a scene where the kids in the school are playing a game, and that game is (mostly) Hurling. They have added a few elements to make it look more medieval in nature, and added helmets and pads from US football, but the rest of the equipment is standard Hurling gear.

I'm wondering who came up with the idea to use Hurling in the film?

(BTW, I don't think it needed the extras added, most especially not the "cannons". The Irish press is buzzing today about what the heck Disney did to Hurling -- but I think that most are actually pleased. It's not often that it's seen on an international stage -- even dressed up as something else.

My city here in the US does have a Hurling club; it's quite popular with expats and the friends that they have dragooned into playing.)

Last edited:
Not everything has the be Americanized to be good or 'relatable'

I DVR'd it- looking forward to watching and now I will know what they are playing! Total American chick here- I probably would have thought it was a made up game, like Quidditch in the Harry Potter books/movies.

Any sort of game that can cause concussions, fractures, black-outs and facial injuries will attract American macho fathers eager to get their kids into it. After all, we play football, don't we?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter