Disney's BOARDWALK INN Information & Questions

Lots of discussion about people receiving letters and wondering when the construction will be over, but not much specifics from people at WDW that are saying exactly what construction is ongoing. I read some posts about work near the pools.

Does anyone know whether there is any exterior painting work going on? Any scaffolding up? Any rooms still being refurbished? If so, what sections and what floors?

Thanks for any help those staying at BWI/BWV can provide. Pics would help too. Thanks.

When I checked in last Monday, the first room we were given was 5304 which overlooked a courtyard and there was construction going on everywhere in that particular courtyard. The next day we were taken to two more rooms both on the 2nd floor...one had a view of the same courtyard but different angle and the view was the same. The 2nd room had a partial view of one of the quiet pools in the distance but literally outside that balcony was construction equipment everywhere. Here's a video of the view outside in that courtyard - my oldest DD took a partial video:

o_O WOW! Thanks for posting that.

We stayed at the villas last Nov and returning this year. Got the letter yesterday. I don't understand what they could be doing now at the villas since it was a complete long delayed redo last year. Last November we had cherry pickers and construction crews outside our room with drilling directly below us. I asked to be moved (which luckily we were,but to a non-refurbished room). How long does it take to paint a building anyway? Now some are reporting they are hearing saws inside the rooms? WTH?

o_O WOW! Thanks for posting that.

We stayed at the villas last Nov and returning this year. Got the letter yesterday. I don't understand what they could be doing now at the villas since it was a complete long delayed redo last year. Last November we had cherry pickers and construction crews outside our room with drilling directly below us. I asked to be moved (which luckily we were,but to a non-refurbished room). How long does it take to paint a building anyway? Now some are reporting they are hearing saws inside the rooms? WTH?

What's sad is that video doesn't even begin to capture the noise and the fact that the front desk CM was trying to convince me to stay in that room because according to him the construction on that side would be completed by the next day was even more sad.

On another note...DH & I are doing a split stay in October with our last 3 days back at the BWI
and to say I've been stressing a tad since our most recent experience is an understatement :scared:

Well...like I said earlier. I am here and overlooking the main pool in the villas there is no work going on whatsoever outside. There is some digging and loud work outside the rooms overlooking the quiet pool on villa side. I have not been to the inn side so I couldn't tell you what's going on over there.

Only one day did I notice some wet paint signs in the villa hallways. However, just the signs never heard or saw them actually painting.

Around the Luna park pool where I am there hasn't been any work at all while I've been here, however they do seem to have an unfinished fence going around the perimeter of the pool. But no work has been done on it...just looks like a half finished fence with some dug around dirt in areas...so I'd imagine that work may continue at some point??

OK, I need some help. ( FYI, I am posting this on Y/BC thread as well)
So, usually I book a RO as soon as I can. After staying in a 2BR villa on our last trip, I knew that I wanted to do that again. I also know how difficult it will be to book that during F&W. So I am getting anxious that we may end up shut out of anything in the Epcot area, so I am thinking I should book 2 standard rooms now at either BC, YC, or BWI.
My question is, is there a significant difference in the standard rooms at each of these locations in terms of size, views, or anything else besides the pools? Also, why is the WV so much more expensive at the BW? ( approx rack rates for my dates, without tax, weekday/wknd: Y&BC SV: 422/490, GV/WV: 429/495, LV/PV: 509/561
BWI: S: 423/467, WV: 544/600
Any input on this choice is much appreciated! After hanging out here for a while, I know most of the differences, but I was puzzled by the difference in the cost of the WV. I have also been paying more attention to the info on the villas, so I need to get more info on the rooms.
Thanks!!

The water view at BWI is a Boardwalk View of Crescent Lake, which I think is what they call a Lake View at the BC/YC. You're also closer to the lake from the BW side. At the BC, not all rooms have full balconies, which is a big issue to some people. Also the standard views there have a lot of roofs from how the floors are layered in a weird way. I think the standard views at the BW might be a little nicer than the BC. Can't compare to the YC though. Of course BC/YC has Stormalong Bay, which is a big draw for some people, and BC is a little closer to Epcot. :)

Well...like I said earlier. I am here and overlooking the main pool in the villas there is no work going on whatsoever outside. There is some digging and loud work outside the rooms overlooking the quiet pool on villa side. I have not been to the inn side so I couldn't tell you what's going on over there.

Only one day did I notice some wet paint signs in the villa hallways. However, just the signs never heard or saw them actually painting.

Around the Luna park pool where I am there hasn't been any work at all while I've been here, however they do seem to have an unfinished fence going around the perimeter of the pool. But no work has been done on it...just looks like a half finished fence with some dug around dirt in areas...so I'd imagine that work may continue at some point??

I wonder if WDW is pulling the workers from BW to work somewhere else, and that is why people with Dec/Jan dates are getting letters. ??

The water view at BWI is a Boardwalk View of Crescent Lake, which I think is what they call a Lake View at the BC/YC. You're also closer to the lake from the BW side. At the BC, not all rooms have full balconies, which is a big issue to some people. Also the standard views there have a lot of roofs from how the floors are layered in a weird way. I think the standard views at the BW might be a little nicer than the BC. Can't compare to the YC though. Of course BC/YC has Stormalong Bay, which is a big draw for some people, and BC is a little closer to Epcot. :)

Thanks! My current plan, after consulting with my DD, is to reserve 2 GV rooms at the YC and then start calling in a few months, trying to get a 2 BR at either BC or BW. A balcony is important to us, although not to look at roof tops! If we end up getting shut out of the villas, I wouldn't want to have to go out of the BW every time I wanted to buy something or eat somewhere. Of course, with F&W, we will probably not be eating too many meals at our resort. Like I said, I keep going round and round!
Thanks again. :)

I wonder if WDW is pulling the workers from BW to work somewhere else, and that is why people with Dec/Jan dates are getting letters. ??

This was my thought too. I thought they were going to YC after since originally I read the BW would be done in Aug, and YC reno's would start in Sept. Now it seems YC is starting in Oct/Nov.

Hallways are full of wet paint signs and painters today. But they are very quiet. Didn't know they were there until leaving our room. They are painting and patching the lower wallboards.

Just booked our stay at BWV for January 28-February 3rd 2017!

Never stayed at BWV before but was sold on the convenience to parks and the Murphy bed so my oldest doesn't have to share a bed with her younger sister LOL

I stayed at the Beach Club back in2001 for our honeymoon, but really don't remember any of it lol. Anyone got any tips for stuff to do around the resort for days where we don't go to the park? I'll probably get 4-5 day passes so we'll have some free time. I don't think we'll go to the park the day we arrive since it'll be a little later in the day. Mini golf? Blizzard Beach (we'll be coming from Alaska in January, so it'll be warm for us)

Any tips, info, dining recommendations etc would be greatly appreciated. We are traveling with my wife, and 2 daughters (8 & 11) and myself for reference. We will not have a rental car, so Disney transport or walking works for us as I consider us a decently fit family!

Just booked our stay at BWV for January 28-February 3rd 2017!

Never stayed at BWV before but was sold on the convenience to parks and the Murphy bed so my oldest doesn't have to share a bed with her younger sister LOL

I stayed at the Beach Club back in2001 for our honeymoon, but really don't remember any of it lol. Anyone got any tips for stuff to do around the resort for days where we don't go to the park? I'll probably get 4-5 day passes so we'll have some free time. I don't think we'll go to the park the day we arrive since it'll be a little later in the day. Mini golf? Blizzard Beach (we'll be coming from Alaska in January, so it'll be warm for us)

Any tips, info, dining recommendations etc would be greatly appreciated. We are traveling with my wife, and 2 daughters (8 & 11) and myself for reference. We will not have a rental car, so Disney transport or walking works for us as I consider us a decently fit family!

Welcome to the BWV. My dds are a few years older than yours. We've done the mini golf before, and it is fun. You also have free nighttime entertainment at the Boardwalk with "street" performers - magic tricks, plate spinning, etc with some audience participation. BWV has a great feature pool with water slide and we enjoy the pool games. Sometimes they do family trivia, so i get to play as well. There is also the quiet pool, a great community hall (video games, billiards, foosball, ping pong), and tennis courts if you play. They have a pizza window on the Boardwalk (not the best pizza, but ok) and we will get a whole pizza and eat poolside. There are of course the movies in the green space in the evening and roast some marshmallows. You can see the Epcot fireworks from the bridge and now the DHS Star Wars fireworks from the quiet pool, walk path to DHS, and some of the rooms. You can rent a surrey bike and ride around the Boardwalk, but that is too much work for me.

You should also try the Bellevue Lounge. It isn't my favorite bar on Disney property, but it's a nice way to relax after a long day. There is no food served there other than breakfast. As for food, I like ESPN Club right next door, and you don't need ADRs. Unless it is a major sport event (Sunday NFL, March Madness, etc) then you should be ok on getting a table. It is bar food, lower cost, and you can order a pitcher of beer!!! There are numerous dining options at BWV, Beach & Yacht Club, and Swan & Dolphin. If you like seafood, Cape May has an all you can eat crab leg, clam, etc buffet. They also do a character breakfast, and it is a short walk around the water. I had an amazing steak at Shula's in the Swolphin, but it comes with an amazing price tag. Have a great trip and good luck in your planning.

Now that we have a bit more info on the construction, I'm wondering whether to put in a last minute room request on our DVC rental. We're getting a BWV studio in late September. Any suggestions? DH can just turn off his hearing aids, and I grew up in NYC, so noise isn't a huge problem. Paint smells, obstacles, and such would be. Also, I wouldn't want ground level (which I gather is first floor on the lake side and second on the entrance side).

For what it's worth... We arrive at BWV on Jan 19 for a week, we receive the construction letter a couple days ago. I finally had time to call tonight and the CM told me the info he had said the construction at the BWV would be done by Oct 31, 2016. Garfield (the most helpful CM I've ever dealt with) said he wanted to check with Guest Services to see if they showed anything different. He came back on the phone and said that the info he originally provided was what they showed too. BUT he said he wanted to check one more source! He said he called the BWV directly and they showed the construction is o be done by Oct 31. Garfield asked if we had changed dates at any point and we hadn't. He said the construction letter must be a mistake.

Now that we have a bit more info on the construction, I'm wondering whether to put in a last minute room request on our DVC rental. We're getting a BWV studio in late September. Any suggestions? DH can just turn off his hearing aids, and I grew up in NYC, so noise isn't a huge problem. Paint smells, obstacles, and such would be. Also, I wouldn't want ground level (which I gather is first floor on the lake side and second on the entrance side).
First, when you used BWV Studio in your post, did you mean a Boardwalk View Studio or a Boardwalk Villa Studio?

If you have a Boardwalk view Studio, there are only 2 that are on level 1 ( aka right off the Boardwalk ). The bulk of the remaining BWV Studios will be on floors 2-5. Note: All the true BWV Studios would all be in the North building and the 5th floor rooms have a half wall balcony so I would suggest floors 2-4.

Let me know if you have a different view reserved and I can suggest other Studio locations.

Dave

First, when you used BWV Studio in your post, did you mean a Boardwalk View Studio or a Boardwalk Villa Studio?

If you have a Boardwalk view Studio, there are only 2 that are on level 1 ( aka right off the Boardwalk ). The bulk of the remaining BWV Studios will be on floors 2-5. Note: All the true BWV Studios would all be in the North building and the 5th floor rooms have a half wall balcony so I would suggest floors 2-4.

Let me know if you have a different view reserved and I can suggest other Studio locations.

Dave
Boardwalk Villa Studio, standard (cheap) view, rented points through the other big broker.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter