Disneypoor's Alaskan Cruise June 7th, 2011

disneypoor

DH thinks I have a "thing" for Mickey!
DVC Gold
Well, I finally decided to break down and begin a trip report so I'd feel obligated to actually get my packing done and keep track of the things we do on our upcoming cruise. I lurk on these boards quite often and have even written a trip report before, but it's been a while so I'll just apologize ahead of time if I bore all of you to death!:goodvibes

Before I get started, I should probably let you know who you're dealing with here. My name is Susan. I'm a little obsessive compulsive in more than one area and probably drive my family nuts. I try to have things planned out well in advance and typically have vacations booked out for at least the next year or two. Isn't that normal? I drive my family crazy with all of the details, but when mom's happy, everyone's happy, so the rest of them go along with me.:rotfl: I'm married to a wonderful man named Brian. He really is my better half (but don't tell him I said that) and he's really the reason I have this huge thing for Mickey Mouse. He took me to Disney World years ago for our honeymoon, and he had no idea I'd fall in love with someone else while we were there.:lovestruc We live in Ottawa, Kansas (just south of Kansas City) on a dairy farm. I'm a technology teacher and my husband is a dairy and crop farmer. We both love to travel, but I'd say I'm more passionate about it than Brian. He gave us the name Disneypoor years ago because he is pretty sure that the Mouse is going to drive us straight to the poor house one of these days. We did a "once in a lifetime Disney Cruise" several years ago and the Alaska cruise will be number 7. We had to do a once in a lifetime Eastern, Western, Bahamas, and oh, the Bahamas again, a double dip, another Bahamas, the Dream, you get the idea.:rotfl2:

We have two wonderful children. Our daughter, Brianna, is sixteen years old and just started driving on her own.:eek: My husband insisted that she have a manual transmission, so riding with her is absolutely NO fun for me. She does alright, but I'm not sure what her dad was thinking when he bought her that car! It makes me a nervous wreck! Of course, she doesn't really like me much anyway because she's sixteen. I keep telling her she'll love me again some day.:laughing: Our son, Brandon, is thirteen years old. I'm really just his taxi service. He keeps me super busy! I keep telling him he better grow up and get a good paying job because he is going to owe me ALL kinds of money by the time he becomes an adult! Seriously, they are great kids, and my husband and I cringe at the thought that they won't always live with us. We think we're pretty cool, so maybe they'll stay.:confused3 We kind of have a "Bucket List" of vacations we want to do before our daughter graduates, so when Disney announced they were going to Alaska, it was a no-brainer!

Here is our family picture from our cruise on the Dream in February:
FamilyPicDCL2011.jpg

We fly in to Vancouver on Monday, June 6th, and we're staying at the Fairmont Pacific Rim for one night before boarding the Wonder on the 7th. We've never been to Vancouver or Alaska, so this is all a new adventure for us. In fact, I typically always book our air and stuff on my own, but I let Disney do everything this time. Sure, we probably paid a bit more for it, but it's nice to know that they are taking care of things.:thumbsup2 I was worried about the flight times they'd give us, but it turns out that our flight leaves Kansas City at 7:00 a.m. and will arrive in Vancouver at 11:00 a.m., so we were really happy with that. We aren't real sure what we'll do in Vancouver yet, so I'm open to suggestions. It sounds like it might take us all afternoon to figure out our hotel room. I didn't realize the Pacific Rim would be so fancy, but I've read that you have to push buttons to open the blinds and that there is a tv in the mirror in the bathroom. We're just country folks, so this might be too high tech for us. Since my husband is really a teenager stuck in a grown man's body, this should be lots of fun for him. Knowing my luck, he'll get us kicked out of the hotel or something. He likes to play with gadgets and things, and I'm sure he'll have buttons worn out before we leave.:rolleyes1 He'll be the one playing on the elevators on the Wonder and sliding down the railing to the atrium. And, I'm not kidding. Sorry if anyone that is reading this is going on the same cruise as us.;)

On to our cruise plans! I finally finalized our excursions. In Skagway, we've booked the Yukon Suspension Bridge, City, and White Pass Railway excursion. This was a must do for my husband. He said he didn't care what I booked for this trip as long as he got to do the railway. I've read GREAT things about this one, so I think we made a good choice. My husband wanted to do the Steam Train and has no idea we don't actually have that one booked. I couldn't get it. It was gone! It will be a surprise for Brian when we get there.:lmao: Again, if you're cruising with us and hear a man cursing, I apologize. He'll get over it.

In Juneau, we booked the Alpine Zipline and Glacier Adventure. We ziplined in Hawaii, and my husband and kids LOVED it, so we thought we would try it in Alaska too. My daughter is still recovering from ACL surgery, so I'm just praying she doesn't need surgery again when we get back from vacation after this excursion! Her physical therapist says she should be fine, but her doctor would say no, so we just didn't ask her doctor.:rolleyes: We like her physical therapist better anyway. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but remember, my daughter doesn't even like me, so I didn't have a say in this one.:)

While we are at Ketchikan, we're doing the Misty Fjords and Wilderness Explorer excursion. I've also read a few reports on this one, and it sounds like it will be good. One thing I know for sure is that these excursions really might just drive us to live up to our name: Disneypoor! Ouch! They were super expensive!:scared1: I haven't really disclosed to Brian how much they really were. I don't want to ruin his vacation before we even get there. I'm nice like that.

Let's get back to the obsessive compulsive disorders that I have. When I go on any vacation, I have to clean the house from top to bottom. I spent an hour and a half just cleaning out the refrigerator yesterday, and I'm not joking. I'd hate for something to happen while we're gone and for someone to see the way we really live. I've been washing bedding and rugs this week too. I do know I have some minor issues, so you don't have to tell me. I'm getting ready to head to the car wash in just a few minutes to completely detail my vehicle inside and out because there is no way I'll put our luggage in a dirty vehicle. My husband says I'm going to wash the paint right off of my new vehicle, but I highly doubt that can happen. Can it?:confused3 So, being able to admit you have a problem is the first step in any rehabilitation, right? I think I'm doing pretty darn good!:thumbsup2

Okay, I've probably already lost the one reader that was keeping up with me, so I think I'll just stop right here for now. Maybe someone else will be suckered in since there aren't that many Alaska trip reports yet. You can probably tell that I'm long winded and can go on and on and on. My husband and kids are pretty sure I don't know a stranger because I talk to people everywhere we go. I think it's called the gift of gab but not sure my family would think it was a gift. Anyway, off to the car wash I go!:goodvibes

Susan

I just got back from cleaning my vehicle and getting it ready for the trip to the airport. Guess what? Turns out you can wash the paint off of new vehicles. Here's proof:

DSC04563.jpg

Oops! Guess I'll have to break this one to Brian. I sure hate it when he's right! I should probably have bought some sort of spray to loosen the bugs before I washed it, huh? Getting the nozzle too close to the vehicle isn't a good idea. I'm just sayin......:rolleyes1

Here are a few more pictures from our Dream cruise in February:

DSC04311.jpg

DSC04302.jpg

DSC04315.jpg

DSC04297.jpg

I told you all he was ornery!:confused3

KidsPicDCL2011.jpg

I love this one! We always get our family pictures done on our cruises because they almost always turn out great!:goodvibes

More to come later. What's next? I have to get my taxi out and take my son to basketball practice in Kansas City, so no more cruise prep today. I should also mention that it is getting ready to rain here. Go figure! It was sunny when I went to wash my car! Happens every time!:sad2: However, tomorrow's plan is to clean all of the floors and actually get the suitcases out of the closet!:woohoo: I'm hoping someone actually reads and responds to my report. I need someone to be accountable to. Who's going to ask me if I actually got the suitcases out tomorrow? Come on, DISers! Help me out here!:lmao:

Susan

Hi Susan,

Just wanted to let you know that you have at least 1 reader! I can't wait to hear more and I hope you have a fabulous cruise!

Oh, and I'm obsessive and compulsive about my vacations too - so it must be normal!!! :lmao:

Aby

I'm reading too! And your family sounds a lot like ours, but my kids are reverse genders (boy is older) and they're 18 and 14 now.
I'm also obsessive in the planning department. That's 3 of us now, so I agree, it is NORMAL! :rotfl2:

Well, I'm so glad I at least have a couple of readers. And, now that I know there are at least three DISers that do the same obsessive compulsive things I do, I can consider myself normal.;) I'm supposed to be making supper right now, but when my phone beeps and it's an email from the DIS, what's a lady to do?:rotfl: Back to the kitchen I go and then off to basketball. Thanks for subscribing.

Susan

Wow, we should meet up in Vancouver. We are on the same sailing and live in the St. Louis area. We thought about the Capilano Suspension Bridge.

Have a great cruise and look forward to reading your TR!

Wow, we should meet up in Vancouver. We are on the same sailing and live in the St. Louis area. We thought about the Capilano Suspension Bridge.

Hi, neighbor!:wave2: We also have someone from Pittsburg, Kansas on our cruise. We are both leaving from Kansas City early Monday morning but we're not on the same flight. It's a small, small world.:) When are you arriving in Vancouver? Thanks for reading. I can't believe it's almost here!

Susan

Have a wonderful cruise! Looking forward to reading your report:)

Have a great cruise and look forward to reading your TR!
Thanks for joining me on this pre-trip adventure! I promise to take good notes and report back as soon as I return!:goodvibes

Susan

Have a wonderful cruise! Looking forward to reading your report:)

Thank you! I'm looking forward to it!:thumbsup2

Susan

(Looks like I need to figure out how to respond to multiple quotes at the same time, huh? I'll work on it. I promise.:))

you mean everyone doesn't plan their vacations out a couple of years in advance? That's the way we roll as well. Sounds perfectly normal to me. Enjoying your PT report. Hope you have a great cruise.

Okay, so my son's basketball practice didn't happen tonight. We had a sudden burst of really bad weather, and since we live an hour south of Kansas City, we canceled.

So, what's a girl to do when she thinks she's going to be gone for the night but then ends up getting to stay home? Yep! You've got it! I sat on my rear and read on the DIS.:rotfl2: The result? I changed one of our excursions. For Ketchikan, we had booked the Misty Fjords and Wilderness Explorer. I was excited about it. I really was. But then, someone posted on the Alaska Excursions thread about TWO Alaska cruises they've taken, and the rest is history. They just did the DCL Alaska cruise and booked the Misty Fjords National Monument Flightseeing Tour with a company called Island Wings. She said it was a trip she'd never forget, and she said she couldn't say enough good things about this company. She had me. I mean, they've booked with this company twice, so I had no choice but to start researching them.:confused3

So, I called Island Wings, got ahold of a VERY nice lady, and I booked us on their excursion.:banana: They even changed up their tour a bit for me so I could rest assured we'd make it back to the ship in time for the evening show. I'm so excited about this one! I remember doing Disney's Eastern cruise and seeing those float planes at one of the ports. I thought they were super cool! So, now, here I am. I'M GOING ON A FLOAT PLANE!:cool1:

Now, I think I should probably quit reading the Alaska Excursions thread because who knows what I will do before our cruise actually gets here. I should tell you though that I called Disney and found out that you can only cancel or make changes to your excursions up to three days before you sail.:eek: If you decide to cancel within three days of sailing, you're S.O.L. (shoot, out of luck!).;) Glad I'm so on the ball! I mean, technically I have until Friday to change things up. So THERE, Disney!:laughing:

What's up next? Well, it's supposed to be clean floors and suitcases, but I've hired a couple of DISers to check on me tomorrow to see if that is actually happening. You know who you are! Don't let me down!:hug:

Susan

you mean everyone doesn't plan their vacations out a couple of years in advance? That's the way we roll as well. Sounds perfectly normal to me. Enjoying your PT report. Hope you have a great cruise.

You see, this is why I love the DIS. Already today, I've found out that I really am normal and that there are others that roll like I do. Life is good!:grouphug: Thanks for reading!

Susan

Wow, someone else like me! Except I don't do the cleaning thing. :rotfl:

Well, we'll see if I actually do the cleaning thing.;) I'm up pretty early today because I had to take my son to basketball practice, but as you can tell, I'm on the computer again.:rolleyes1 I'm seriously beginning to wonder what I'll do for nine days with no computer. Scares the heck right out of me!:scared1:

I see you have an Alaskan cruise coming up. I'll try to report back just as soon as I can after we return. However, by the looks of your signature, I'm pretty sure you are already a Disney expert! You could probably tell me a thing or two or three.:goodvibes Thanks for joining me on this adventure!

Susan

OMG! I completely forgot to tell you all about someone else that is traveling with us.:eek: My BFF, Toni, will be joining us on the Alaskan cruise. She has traveled with my family on several Disney cruises as well as to Hawaii. She lost her husband several years ago at a very young age, so we've adopted her.:grouphug: We've been best friends since elementary school, and she is just like family to us. Plus, she'll get onto my kids just as fast as I will, so I kind of enjoy having her around.:rotfl: She is no problem at all to travel with. She joins us on excursions and at dinner but she also does her own thing. In fact, she tends to book MULTIPLE spa experiences and sometimes even attends multiple spa sessions on the same day!:)

Here is a photo of us on our Dream cruise in February:
DSC04220.jpg

Okay, back to our regularly schedule program. Did I get the floors cleaned and get the suitcases out? You bet I did!:thumbsup2 In fact, I cleaned our house from top to bottom, and tonight, it's ready for us to pack up and leave. However, it will be completely dirty again by Sunday, so I'll have to do all of this over again.:confused3 Remember, I live on a dairy farm, so the messes never stop. It's pretty normal for me to clean our entryway three or four times a day. Life on the farm is wonderful, but it sure is dirty!

I also managed to sneak in a trip to Kansas City today and bought DH some new khakis and a new pair of tennis shoes for this trip. He never shops, and it's not uncommon for him to start packing late the night before we're scheduled to leave and then figure out he needs new dress pants or swimming trunks, etc.:sad2: This time, I'm not playing that game. He says he's good to go, so by golly, he's going to be stuck with what he's got.

I also forgot to mention that I bought myself a few new fleece items and some new running gear while I was in the city today too. I ran my first marathon in April, and although I'm not currently training for another run, I somewhat enjoy it, and the best way for me to stay motivated is to buy new running clothes.:rolleyes1 It's amazing how much more motivated I am when I have new running gear to put on! I'm serious! You should all try my method. It works! The fleece stuff was just too good of a deal to pass up. I got a couple of fleece pullovers for $9.97 each! They are the thin fleece, and they won't take up tons of room in the suitcase, so I couldn't resist. At first, I had one in every single color in my hand, but I decided to put two of them back.:rotfl2:

What's on tomorrow's agenda? Laundry and packing. I refuse to wait until 10:00 Sunday night to start packing when I know we have to leave our house shortly after 4:00 a.m. on Monday morning. There. I put that in writing, so I really do have to start packing tomorrow, right? I used to look forward to the packing, but anymore I just dread it. It's way too stressful (and I'll admit I get a little, I mean a lot, grouchy) and my DH typically likes to stay out in the shop really late when he knows I'm packing. He usually has something he has to fix (wink, wink). Did I mention that my husband was also a very intelligent man?:lmao: My kids are pretty darn smart too. They pack their suitcases and get the heck out of Dodge!

Here are a few more pictures from our Dream cruise:
DSC04222.jpg

DSC04246.jpg

DSC04279.jpg

I forgot to mention that a friend of mine went on an Alaskan cruise last year, and she has warned me about the seagulls. She says they are just plain ferocious. They knocked her plate off of the table at one point. She keeps telling me to watch out for them. Well, birds don't really like me. How do I know that? Well, let's just say in the last year, I've been pooped on a few times and even attacked by a Macaw at a zoo (I'm not kidding!), and I have proof! Here is a picture that was taken at Magic Kingdom before our Dream cruise in February:

DSC04336.jpg

Yep! They pooped on me. We hadn't even been in the park for an hour. My DH and children couldn't even contain themselves. Instead of helping me, they got the camera. I'm pretty sure it was the highlight of their entire trip.;) I'm just glad we made memories that would last a lifetime.:thumbsup2

Susan

Well, we'll see if I actually d:confused3o the cleaning thing.;) I'm up pretty early today because I had to take my son to basketball practice, but as you can tell, I'm on the computer again.:rolleyes1 I'm seriously beginning to wonder what I'll do for nine days with no computer. Scares the heck right out of me!:scared1:

I see you have an Alaskan cruise coming up. I'll try to report back just as soon as I can after we return. However, by the looks of your signature, I'm pretty sure you are already a Disney expert! You could probably tell me a thing or two or three.:goodvibes Thanks for joining me on this adventure!

Susan

Nine days with no computer, what no onboard trip report? :confused3

Seriously, I am loving your thread. I am getting psyched, we leave in five weeks!

Glad you got your cleaning done. Sorry I wasn't around earlier. Had to do a little thing called work :)
Hope laundry goes well for you. And about the packing...just get excited about the fact that you're packing to go on the trip rather than packing to come back! That should make it a bit easier :goodvibes

Your Dis Accountability Holder (DAH)

No online trip report.:sad2: It doesn't sound like the internet has worked all that well, but maybe someone who's recently been on the Alaskan cruise can verify this for me. Maybe, just maybe I could take my computer. I think my DH thinks that is what the vacation is all about for him---me with no computer.:rotfl2: We'll see.........

I'm so happy I have a DAH! Excellent idea!:thumbsup2 Maybe I can pay it forward when I get back. Everyone should have one! I hate it when that thing called work gets in the way. I'm a teacher, so I have almost three months to be LAZY, and I intend to take full advantage of it. Okay, y'all got me. You can probably tell from my obsessive compulsive disorder that I'm not lazy, but I'm gonna do what I want (as long as the kids' schedules allow me) when I want for three months!:banana: Have a good night, everyone!

Susan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter