Disneyland to Sonoma to San Francisco

brandilee8299

Mouseketeer
We had a trip planned to DL in April that we were adding on to a work trip of my husbands. We learned last week that not only is the conference in February, but that it wasn't at the hotel we had expected, but in Sonoma. We have rearranged most of our travel, but am now worried about what we are going to do in Sonoma with a 3 and 8 year old. We have about 2 1/2 days there. Is there anything I can do with the kids nearby in Sonoma while he is at the conference? Neither hubby or I drink so the wineries aren't appealing to us.

I am hoping 1 of the days to spend in San Francisco, it looks only about an hour drive from where we are staying. This will probably be the only time we ever make it to CA. We are from NY and don't head west often. I do not know much about the area, but obv we are tourists(with kids) and need to make the most of it in a day. I would like to see the Golden Gate Bridge (maybe even bike over it) and ride cable cars. What is our best bet in doing so? I read about the Duck Boat, but am sad that we will be there during the week and there aren't any tours when we will be there. That would have been perfect for us. Is there anything else similar? Anything else we should do/see with kids? Any suggestions are appreciated, I am feeling totally lost.

Within Sonoma County there's stuff for the kids. My kid loves Sonoma Train Town in the city of Sonoma. You could drive to Napa. The Charles Schultz museum is in Santa Rosa. Maybe Bodega Bay?

Marin County is close and there's plenty of places to take in views or go to the beach. Perhaps a ferry ride to San Francisco since they have great views of the Bay.

We had a trip planned to DL in April that we were adding on to a work trip of my husbands. We learned last week that not only is the conference in February, but that it wasn't at the hotel we had expected, but in Sonoma. We have rearranged most of our travel, but am now worried about what we are going to do in Sonoma with a 3 and 8 year old. We have about 2 1/2 days there. Is there anything I can do with the kids nearby in Sonoma while he is at the conference? Neither hubby or I drink so the wineries aren't appealing to us.

I am hoping 1 of the days to spend in San Francisco, it looks only about an hour drive from where we are staying. This will probably be the only time we ever make it to CA. We are from NY and don't head west often. I do not know much about the area, but obv we are tourists(with kids) and need to make the most of it in a day. I would like to see the Golden Gate Bridge (maybe even bike over it) and ride cable cars. What is our best bet in doing so? I read about the Duck Boat, but am sad that we will be there during the week and there aren't any tours when we will be there. That would have been perfect for us. Is there anything else similar? Anything else we should do/see with kids? Any suggestions are appreciated, I am feeling totally lost.

You can easily cross the GG on your way to/from Sonoma. Fisherman's Wharf is a very touristy bit of SF, but we always stop for a bowl of clam chowder there anyway. The cable car lines all run near there, so you could park in a nearby garage and use the wharf as a start point. Take the Powell-Hyde Line because it takes you past the section of Lombard Street that is the crookedest street in the US. There's a cable car museum nearby, too. The three year old will ride free.

Go online and get a ticket for Alcatraz and visit the old prison - the 8 year old will probably love it. Or just take a ferry ride for a cruise around the bay.

Hot chocolate at Ghiradelli Square. It's a tourist trap and shopping center, but it is neat anyway, especially if you like chocolate.

And I almost forgot the best place in San Francisco for kids. Maybe the best place in California - the Exploratorium. That place is great for adults and kids of every age.

You can easily cross the GG on your way to/from Sonoma. Fisherman's Wharf is a very touristy bit of SF, but we always stop for a bowl of clam chowder there anyway. The cable car lines all run near there, so you could park in a nearby garage and use the wharf as a start point. Take the Powell-Hyde Line because it takes you past the section of Lombard Street that is the crookedest street in the US. There's a cable car museum nearby, too. The three year old will ride free.

Go online and get a ticket for Alcatraz and visit the old prison - the 8 year old will probably love it. Or just take a ferry ride for a cruise around the bay.

Hot chocolate at Ghiradelli Square. It's a tourist trap and shopping center, but it is neat anyway, especially if you like chocolate.

And I almost forgot the best place in San Francisco for kids. Maybe the best place in California - the Exploratorium. That place is great for adults and kids of every age.

California Academy of Sciences is pretty popular too.

Still - if there's a whole day available, maybe a drive all the way to Monterey/Pebble Beach to check out the 17 Mile Drive, Monterey Bay Aquarium, and Cannery Row.

Just throwing this out there -- while in Sonoma, you could visit Safari West (www.safariwest.com) in nearby Santa Rosa. In San Francisco, the Exploratorium on the Embarcadero (about halfway between the Ferry Building and Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf) and California Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park are fantastic for kids.

Replying on the go, so I'll try to follow up with more ideas later.

I have a 10 and 5 year old, and we've been to SF at least once a year for the past 8 years. My boys love the cable cars. They also like the F and J line MUNI streetcars.

Chinatown is worth walking through, and there are a few playgrounds nearby if the kids need to blow off some steam.

My older son enjoyed Alcatraz when he was 7, but the younger one (2 at the time) wasn't interested at all.

We love the Exploritorium, but I probably wouldn't go there if I only had one day in the city.

I'm pretty sure train town is only open on weekends this time of year, but it is adorable. Also, Safari West used to just have walking tours, but I think you have to do the safari tour now. It may be too much for your littlest as it is 3hrs or so. It's pricey, but awesome. At the Shultz museum you can go ice skating too

You also have the walt disney museum in San Fransico. Also look on group.com, travel zoo.com, and living social .com for the cities that you plan on visiting. You can get some great deals that way.

The Zeum (sp?) in SF is good for the kids too. There is a discovery museum just north of the bridge too. They just opened alone in Santa Rosa, but it's not done yet.

There's so many family friendly attractions and sites in SF. We were there a year ao with our 3 year old. Since you are short on time, I'd focus on keeping it simple and focusing on an areA. I prefer the Ferry bldg over Fisherman's Wharf. The wharf is full of chain/tourisy shops and restaurants. At the Ferry bldg, Food choices are better. You are also right next to the (newly moved) Exploritorium. We never saw it at its original location. But this is more convenient to get to.

Although being in the area of Ghiradelli is nice with great views. But it's the same menu as the one at California Adventure. We went during the summer, so it felt just as busy as being at DL.

Not much for young kids in Sonoma itself. That train town in Sonoma was cute but not worth the 45 minute wait-- there was only one other family there but the train only ran at certain times. It was kind of torture for me alone with two yo twin. We were there in April about 6 yrs ago for DH's meeting. San francisco is a drive from Sonoma but much more kid friendly. Go to SF.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter