• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland or Bust: A Mother-Daughter Coastal Road Trip

Man, this movie quote thing is really bringing out my competitive side (which I didn't even know I had!). Anyway, back from reading....
Everything about this update REALLY makes me want to get to Disneyland!

Blue bayou looks great! I really want to try a mint julep! And watch PotC boats sail by!

Big thunder looks so awesome! I love that ride! How did you get a picture on it? I'm always bouncing around and laughing and screaming too much to get a picture.

How cool was "Anna's" dad?!!? Too bad the annoying guy was with you. I'd like to hope that maybe there was something going on there (like a medical condition or something) but it seems like it was just someone being super rude...

I know you're sad for no captain EO but I can't tell ya how excited I was to see a guardians of the galaxy attraction!! That is so super cool and I don't even know what it is! :rotfl:

After watching the last parade performers make their way past us, we headed off down Main Street with a quick stop at the restrooms so that Miss Willow could transform herself from Anna to Elsa. (Andy, I know you will appreciate this quick change moment!!!)
:thumbsup2 Way to keep it classy!

Despite the occasional rude PotC pirate guest, we really enjoyed our experience here. The atmosphere is very cool, and occasional yells aside, it is mostly very quiet and serene (just like the beginning of the DL version of PotC, which is where the restaurant is located). Willow also enjoyed waving at the PotC cruisers.
Awesome! I think if we would have had a little bit more of a dining budget and willingness to try a few more ADR's, this one would have been one that we'd have done. It looked like a beautiful place to have a meal.

At about 6:45, we were done with dinner and headed out of the Blue Bayou.
I love that picture. It almost looks like there should be a trail of ice on the ground behind her! :rotfl2:

Love her Anna/Elsa transformation! I'm sure it was done in a much more classy manner than what Andy saw. :rotfl2:
:thumbsup2 I approve. And Willow also seems to be much more willing. :rotfl2:

After leaving Blue Bayou at 6:45, we obviously had to pay a visit to PotC.
Naturally! Who could resist after watching all the boats go by.

The guy asked Willow for a picture with her so that he didn't have to wait in line to meet Elsa. (It was NOT creepy, I promise.)
Ok, that's cool... obviously as long as it wasn't creepy. It is always nice when a CM or another guest can make a little princess feel like a princess.

I noticed that the little girl in the front seat of Willow's bobsled was dressed as Anna, so I yelled to Willow, "Hey, Elsa! Your sister is in the front of the sled!!!" As you may have seen above, Anna's dad was in between Elsa Willow and Anna. Well, this guy apparently made the ride absolutely AWESOME! He asked Willow to use her powers to get the ride going, and then pretended to be terrified during the ride, begging her to use her powers to stop it and such. She was ecstatic when we met up at the exit, telling me all about how fun it was and how she used her powers. Thank you, Awesome Anna Dad!
And another case of a random stranger making Willow feel like a princess. Or I guess in this case, Queen.

My ride, however, was less fantastic. The "YEAH" dude was in my bobsled.
:sad2:

Eventually, other guests even started screaming at him to stop it, eventually including hollering obscenities at him in a last-ditch effort to get him to shut up (obviously, not a great choice, but that is how frustrated everyone had become). He didn't stop....
:sad2: Ok, it would have taken me about 2 seconds of hearing him yell before I'd be yelling back at him. Probably either making sarcastic comments or mimicking him until he got the point. Yeah, that's how I roll. :rolleyes1

But I couldn't guarantee I wouldn't resort to profanity if he was that irritating. :lmao:

Anyway, we were done with the Matterhorn about 8:15 and headed into Tomorrowland to get Willow her first-ever churro before going to the monorail station.
Matterhorn.

Churro.

Monorail.

Yep... I think that qualifies as the perfect way to end your day.

There wasn't a lot of yelling, but it was something I just didn't expect at all. I know stuff like that didn't happen back when I was a kid and dined here and rode PotC, but we all know our world is very different from what it was decades ago.
I'm assuming it is similar to the yelling one might hear on It's a Small Mexico in EPCOT? Riders randomly yelling asking someone for food or a drink. Things like that. Immature and maybe moderately funny the first time... but since they're probably only the 532,458 person that day to think of doing it, and it becomes significantly less funny every time... :rolleyes1

The park opened at 7 (we were once again stuck behind a bunch of people who needed their pictures taken for their tickets or couldn't find their tickets or whatever, so it took us quite a few minutes before we actually got in), and eventually we were in!
:sad2: They really need a better way of doing it. You'd think they'd learn from WDW. That whole picture thing just seems like a slow process.

As you can see, the line for the Matterhorn was already snaking all the way around the mountain. As you can also see, Willow was not heading for that line.
I'm a little confused here. What is Willow's favorite ride again? :confused3 :rotfl:

We headed over towards the Matterhorn to check the wait time.

The heck you say?

HAHA, it must be weird to be banned from Flash Photography in a restaurant (I assume that's the case). I've only seen this from the PotC side (i.e. the boat). But I must say this is a much better ride to view while eating than Pinocchio's in Magic Kingdom's view of Small World. Talk about a loss of appetite.

The guy asked Willow for a picture with her so that he didn't have to wait in line to meet Elsa. (It was NOT creepy, I promise.)

I know it can be a fine line, but I find that rather sweet. And I would think it would make Willow feel special as well. :goodvibes

Really a tale of two rides on the Matterhorn. Willow's awesome one with Awesome Dad, and then your's with Obnoxious Kid. I guess in the end it's good that she got the better of the two, but I am so sorry about your ordeal. I've had similar situations in the past and it is so infuriating.

Our approach to last days is to hit anything we missed and/or anything that we just can't live without doing one more time.

I'm guessing... Matterhorn. Do I get a point? Or is that a different contest?

We stopped for coffee and cocoa.

Don't leave me in suspense. Did you enjoy the Cocoa?

Guardians of the Galaxy replaced EO? What is it exactly? Just a preview?

HAHAHA, that guy in front of you on Space. THAT is the look of regret.

Booooo!
Last days... How should I say it.
This needs to be said eloquently, with meaning and tenderness...

They suck!
My sentiments exactly. :(

Good approach.
pkondz approves.
:thumbsup2

a.) That hairdresser really did a great job.
b.) That was definitely money well spent!
It really was a great discovery.

So how was that cocoa, anyway?
It's always good!

Another movie that I've heard such good things about.... and still haven't seen.
It's great ... if you are a big fan of Michael Jackson and the technology of yesterday. ;)

Last day. Get 'em in while you still can!
:woohoo:

Well, she looks like she's having fun, but too bad she's mostly hidden behind that woman.
A common occurrence for those of us who are vertically challenged. :laughing:

Nothing would shock me more than if you went on the Matterhorn.
:scared1:

Actually, I like the woman in front.
"Oh! That nice lady is taking my picture!"
:laughing:
I know! I love how well posed she was!

:laughing: Well you did say that was your approach to the day.
::yes::

:rolleyes1 Not that you'd know, of course.
I wouldn't - never had one. Willow approves though!

I believe that last quote is squirt from finding nemo. Am I right? Did I finally get something?
You did!!!!!!! :woohoo:

Man, this movie quote thing is really bringing out my competitive side (which I didn't even know I had!). Anyway, back from reading....
Life is better with a little competition! :laughing:

Everything about this update REALLY makes me want to get to Disneyland!
I sure hope y'all get to go sometime soon - I think you would enjoy it so much!

Blue bayou looks great! I really want to try a mint julep! And watch PotC boats sail by!
It is a quintessentially Disney experience. I remember so well eating there with my family once when I was young. We REALLY enjoyed it during this summer trip - Willow was a big fan.

Big thunder looks so awesome! I love that ride! How did you get a picture on it? I'm always bouncing around and laughing and screaming too much to get a picture.
:laughing: I'm not sure! Because that's usually what I'm doing too. I always start out taking pictures and then just give up.

How cool was "Anna's" dad?!!? Too bad the annoying guy was with you. I'd like to hope that maybe there was something going on there (like a medical condition or something) but it seems like it was just someone being super rude...
I considered whether it might be some kind of disability. The fact that he was so obviously enjoying making everyone else miserable though made me think that it was just good old fashioned obnoxiousness. :rolleyes:

I know you're sad for no captain EO but I can't tell ya how excited I was to see a guardians of the galaxy attraction!! That is so super cool and I don't even know what it is! :rotfl:
We never checked it out, but I'm assuming it was a preview kind of thing. :confused3

:thumbsup2 Way to keep it classy!
Always! :cool2:

Awesome! I think if we would have had a little bit more of a dining budget and willingness to try a few more ADR's, this one would have been one that we'd have done. It looked like a beautiful place to have a meal.
I really like the QS options available at the DL parks, but we do like to have at least a handful of TS meals as well. This was certainly our major "splurge" meal of the DLR part of our trip. We really enjoyed eating there.
I love that picture. It almost looks like there should be a trail of ice on the ground behind her! :rotfl2:
I thought the same!
:thumbsup2 I approve. And Willow also seems to be much more willing. :rotfl2:
Yeah, you wouldn't catch me hauling dresses all over the park if it wasn't VERY clear that Willow wanted to change. :laughing:

Naturally! Who could resist after watching all the boats go by.
No one I know!

Ok, that's cool... obviously as long as it wasn't creepy. It is always nice when a CM or another guest can make a little princess feel like a princess.
It was very sweet. They were a very young couple, and it was nice to meet young people who were so pleasant and kind to a child. It really made the wait go by a lot faster. :goodvibes

And another case of a random stranger making Willow feel like a princess. Or I guess in this case, Queen.
I love when Disney guests bring as much magic as they can with them to the parks. :goodvibes

:sad2: Ok, it would have taken me about 2 seconds of hearing him yell before I'd be yelling back at him. Probably either making sarcastic comments or mimicking him until he got the point. Yeah, that's how I roll. :rolleyes1

But I couldn't guarantee I wouldn't resort to profanity if he was that irritating. :lmao:
Oh, I think you would have been IRATE by the end of the ride. Everyone was.

Matterhorn.

Churro.

Monorail.

Yep... I think that qualifies as the perfect way to end your day.
True perfection. :goodvibes

I'm assuming it is similar to the yelling one might hear on It's a Small Mexico in EPCOT? Riders randomly yelling asking someone for food or a drink. Things like that. Immature and maybe moderately funny the first time... but since they're probably only the 532,458 person that day to think of doing it, and it becomes significantly less funny every time... :rolleyes1
Yeah, it was that kind of stuff. I have never eaten at SAI, so I didn't think about the fact that it probably happens there too.

:sad2: They really need a better way of doing it. You'd think they'd learn from WDW. That whole picture thing just seems like a slow process.
I try to think of it as "quaint." But it's not - it's just irritating. :laughing:

I'm a little confused here. What is Willow's favorite ride again? :confused3 :rotfl:
:confused3

HAHA, it must be weird to be banned from Flash Photography in a restaurant (I assume that's the case). I've only seen this from the PotC side (i.e. the boat). But I must say this is a much better ride to view while eating than Pinocchio's in Magic Kingdom's view of Small World. Talk about a loss of appetite.
I actually have no idea whether the flash photography is banned - I'm pretty sure that the table next to us was flashing away a few times. I wasn't personally comfortable using a flash though. ;)

:rotfl2: Yeah, I can imagine that that is NOT your favorite CS location.

I know it can be a fine line, but I find that rather sweet. And I would think it would make Willow feel special as well. :goodvibes
It was VERY sweet. It really wasn't creepy at all, but I have certainly had experiences that WERE creepy, so I wanted to be very clear. :laughing:

Really a tale of two rides on the Matterhorn. Willow's awesome one with Awesome Dad, and then your's with Obnoxious Kid. I guess in the end it's good that she got the better of the two, but I am so sorry about your ordeal. I've had similar situations in the past and it is so infuriating.
Willow really had one of the most fun rides she's ever had on the Matterhorn. She was going on and on and on about it for ages.

I, on the other hand, had what I think may be the worst ride experience I've ever had. :laughing:

I'm guessing... Matterhorn. Do I get a point? Or is that a different contest?
:rotfl2: I think that's a different contest. But I'll give you a bonus point for it anyway. :thumbsup2

Don't leave me in suspense. Did you enjoy the Cocoa?
It's always delicious!

Guardians of the Galaxy replaced EO? What is it exactly? Just a preview?
We paid it no attention whatsoever - it was an interloper stealing the rightful place of the King of Pop. That said, I'm certain it was just a preview thing.

HAHAHA, that guy in front of you on Space. THAT is the look of regret.
That is an awesome picture! :rotfl2: What's even funnier about it is that I never noticed the guy, just the fact that the woman was blocking Willow.

The Contest: First person to provide the movie title from which the chapter heading comes gets a point; two points if the character who utters the line is also identified. If the first person doesn’t name the character, the first poster to do so will get a point.

Current Standing:
Courtney (courtneybelle): 24 points
pkondz: 23 points
Jill (jedijill): 22 points
Shannon (shan23877): 8 points
Rob (DisneyKid4Life): 7 points
Andy (afwdwfan): 6 points
Dugette: 6 points
Lori (STLMickeyMom): 5 points
Megan (MonsterWDWmom): 2 points
Kathy (KatMark): 2 points
Gracefulskinny: 2 points
petals: 1 point
Rory (Woodskeeper): 1 point

"Where a million diamonds shine!"

Day 14B - Thursday, 7 August 2014 - Disneyland Resort

After our two hurtling rides on the Matterhorn, we headed to Adventureland for regular park opening at 8:00. Adventureland is not open during EMH, and we wanted to get to Indy before the lines got too long. Willow was happy about it.

We got to Adventureland in time for regular rope drop and headed straight for Indiana Jones. :woohoo:

What's that you say, nice CM? Indiana Jones is not running? GAH!

New plan - we race through Adventureland and straight over to Frontierland to ride BTMRR.

Despite our detour, the line wasn't too bad, although long enough to give us an opportunity to enjoy the queue.

No dancing, Willow!

I disobeyed you!

Not sure what this was all about.

We were boarding our train by 8:20 and had a great ride. So great that we grabbed some FPs for later.

And Willow measured herself - she likes to do this. :confused3

Next Post: Day 14B (cont.)

Day 14B - Thursday, 7 August 2014 - Disneyland Resort (cont.)

Where do we go after BTMRR? PotC, of course!

Did we have a wait?

Well, we entered the queue area at 8:28 and were on the ride at 8:29! :laughing:

After that, we decided to walk the short distance over to Indiana Jones to see if it was up and running. It was, but the line was already looking pretty long. We couldn't get another set of FPs yet, so we opted for the Jungle Cruise, which had no wait at all.

After our cruise, it was about 9:00 and we decided to get a snack.

Willow chose a big piece of juicy watermelon, and I went for a slab of pineapple. We grabbed a little table across from Indiana Jones and watched the steady line of folks moving through there.

While we were enjoying our snacks, our window to obtain another set of FPs opened, so I ran across the walkway and grabbed a set for Indiana Jones.

Up Next: Day 14C

Haven't read the last updat yet, but....

It's great ... if you are a big fan of Michael Jackson and the technology of yesterday. ;)

I was actually referring to Guardians of the Galaxy. :rolleyes:

I love seeing the DL parade! I really like the Ariel float, and it's cool that they have Simba in there too.

I'm really torn on whether or not to do Blue Bayou on our trip, because I've heard mixed things especially with the high prices. I'm thinking we'll do Cafe Orleans instead, though the atmosphere of Blue Bayou looks awesome. I guess the fact that I can't try every restaurant just means that I have to go back again someday in the future!

That is so sweet that "Anna Dad" made Willow's ride so awesome. I love it when you meet great other guests like that at Disney! But I feel really bad for you with your ride. I've encountered some obnoxious stuff before but that just sounds like the worst. Though one time I was on Haunted Mansion and when we were in the stretching room there was a group of teens that decided to be really over the top about it and kept screaming and wouldn't stop til the lights came back on, and there were several younger children in the crowd that had burst into tears.

LOL I love all of the Willow dancing photos ;)

Oooh, cool. I'd love to read a mini-TR on that. We were out in Oregon about a year ago and visited the coast one day (mini-TR is in the "off-topic" part of the index here - 4 parts - if you are interested: Bear Hugs & Piggy Kisses - Baby's 1st Trip ~ Updated 12/6: Aulani TR Started!!!)
Just wanted to let you know that I checked out your mini-OR TR - I loved it! It was so fun to see y'all visiting places that I know so well. I'm so glad that you got to experience some of what the Oregon coast has to offer. And you have totally inspired me to go ahead and do a mini-TR on our Spring Break trip - because everyone should know how amazing the Oregon coast is! :laughing:

Last edited:
I love seeing the DL parade! I really like the Ariel float, and it's cool that they have Simba in there too.
It's definitely a parade worth seeing in my opinion. :thumbsup2

I'm really torn on whether or not to do Blue Bayou on our trip, because I've heard mixed things especially with the high prices. I'm thinking we'll do Cafe Orleans instead, though the atmosphere of Blue Bayou looks awesome. I guess the fact that I can't try every restaurant just means that I have to go back again someday in the future!
The best I can do here is offer my experience. On past trips, I did not want to spend what sounded like a lot of money to do Blue Bayou, and instead we did Cafe Orleans, because everything I read indicated it was just as good. I can't remember which trip it was that we did Cafe Orleans, but it was a very nice experience - I have nothing negative to say about it. I would recommend it.

However, last summer we did Blue Bayou, and for me, this was well worth whatever small price difference there was. Honestly, I don't feel like it was significantly more expensive. And the environment and service and just flat-out Disneyland special-ness of it - well worth any slight increase in expenditure. We would choose to do it again and again. It really is a great experience.

So, obviously, my advice is to just do Blue Bayou. Maybe you could look at it this way - if you are planning to go back again soon and want to save some money, do Cafe Orleans and skip BB. If your DLR trip is going to be a once-in-a-great-while experience, just make the Blue Bayou reservation and give it a try. :goodvibes

That is so sweet that "Anna Dad" made Willow's ride so awesome. I love it when you meet great other guests like that at Disney! But I feel really bad for you with your ride. I've encountered some obnoxious stuff before but that just sounds like the worst. Though one time I was on Haunted Mansion and when we were in the stretching room there was a group of teens that decided to be really over the top about it and kept screaming and wouldn't stop til the lights came back on, and there were several younger children in the crowd that had burst into tears.
When all is said and done, I'm just REALLY glad that I got the YEAH guy and not Willow. I would have hated for her to be single-riding and listening to that stupidity.

You know, we have experienced a few incidents similar to that in HM (not as bad as you describe, but still unpleasant) - I wish those kids could think for just a second about someone else, especially about the little kids they are unnecessarily scaring. I do understand that that the teen brain is not fully developed and fairly narcissistic, but still. :laughing: YEAH! GUY though - I'm never going to forgive him. I wish I could say what I really think of him, but the DIS is a family-friendly environment. ;)

LOL I love all of the Willow dancing photos ;)
Awwww - thanks!

I'm so glad to see you back and posting. I need to track down your TRs and discover how many bazillions of updates I have missed in my terrible ability to keep up on the DIS! :laughing:

Rob (DisneyKid4Life): 7 points

OMG you actually did give me a point. :rotfl:

Indiana Jones is not running? Why that's almost unheard of.

To me it looks like Willow busted out a Rap... Yo.

Well, we entered the queue area at 8:28 and were on the ride at 8:29! :laughing:

It's a good thing WIllow ran ahead like that or it would have potentially been 8:30 or 8:31. Phew... near miss.

While we were enjoying our snacks, our window to obtain another set of FPs opened, so I ran across the walkway and grabbed a set for Indiana Jones.

And THAT is what I miss the most about FP+. You'll see. :sad2: At least you won't need a FP for Voices of Liberty, Country Bears, or One Man's Dream. :D

After our two hurtling rides on the Matterhorn, we headed to Adventureland for regular park opening at 8:00.

Geez. I totally forgot that the rest of the place hadn't even opened yet.

You are bad luck. If I tour with you I guess I would have to expect every ride to be closed, right?

Despite our detour, the line wasn't too bad,

I guess it is still early, the mad crush hasn't quite arrived yet.

No dancing, Willow!
I disobeyed you!

:laughing: Some things don't change!

T-Rex pose?

We were boarding our train by 8:20 and had a great ride. So great that we grabbed some FPs for later.

Of course you had a great ride... it's BTMRR!

I get that. It couldn't have been that long ago when...
"Mom! I want to ride that!"
"I'm sorry Willow, you're not tall enough yet."

Did we have a wait?

Considering Miss Willow is disappearing into the distance,
I'm gonna go with... No.

Sounds exactly like my POC experience.
I remember when the lines for this were always huge.
I wonder if it's starting to get a little dated.

Awwww.... The lions babysitting the sleeping zebra. Such a tender morsel.

Scene! Such a tender scene!!

That thing's bigger than she is!

Up Next: Day 14C

Thanks for the update! Can't wait for more! :goodvibes

Adventureland is not open during EMH, and we wanted to get to Indy before the lines got too long.
Oooh, thanks for the tip - good strategy! :thumbsup2

:sad2: Of course. The curse of rope drop.

Ha, cute! :rotfl: Might as well when you're tall enough.

Sweet! pirate: Wish it were always like that!

Just wanted to let you know that I checked out your mini-OR TR - I loved it! It was so fun to see y'all visiting places that I know so well. I'm so glad that you got to experience some of what the Oregon coast has to offer. And you have totally inspired me to go ahead and do a mini-TR on our Spring Break trip - because everyone should know how amazing the Oregon coast is! :laughing:
Glad you enjoyed it! We both spent time there as kids too - visiting family in the area. I've actually driven the coast a number of times too. Love it! :lovestruc

The best I can do here is offer my experience. On past trips, I did not want to spend what sounded like a lot of money to do Blue Bayou, and instead we did Cafe Orleans, because everything I read indicated it was just as good. I can't remember which trip it was that we did Cafe Orleans, but it was a very nice experience - I have nothing negative to say about it. I would recommend it.

However, last summer we did Blue Bayou, and for me, this was well worth whatever small price difference there was. Honestly, I don't feel like it was significantly more expensive. And the environment and service and just flat-out Disneyland special-ness of it - well worth any slight increase in expenditure. We would choose to do it again and again. It really is a great experience.

So, obviously, my advice is to just do Blue Bayou. Maybe you could look at it this way - if you are planning to go back again soon and want to save some money, do Cafe Orleans and skip BB. If your DLR trip is going to be a once-in-a-great-while experience, just make the Blue Bayou reservation and give it a try. :goodvibes

Thank you so much for your thoughts on this, it's really helpful! It's possible we may end up doing both, too. We still have one or two days that we haven't decided on a meal yet, so we'll see. I know atmosphere is a really big thing for DH though so that makes me lean toward Blue Bayou a little more as well. At least I still have some time to decide!

I'm so glad to see you back and posting. I need to track down your TRs and discover how many bazillions of updates I have missed in my terrible ability to keep up on the DIS! :laughing:

I'm glad to be posting again too! Things were a bit crazy for me because I was in a play that had multiple performances every weekend in March. And I was sick during it - finally got to the dr. to find out I have pneumonia! :sick: Sooo I've been ordered to rest up as much as possible this past week, which on the bright side meant more time on the DisBoards! Hoping to be well soon as I leave for WDW again on Wednesday!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter