• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland or Bust: A Mother-Daughter Coastal Road Trip

Early entry today was at Disneyland park, and there were already quite a few people in line when we arrived at 6:45.
Wow, lots of early risers! :eek: Though I suppose anyone coming from later time zones has a bit easier time with the early mornings...at least it would feel like 8:45am to us. :thumbsup2

Oh, this is the Little Red Wagon where you can get hand-dipped corndogs - supposed to be delicious....
Will have to remember that, if/when we get out there. Yum! And maybe Izzy would still like them (toddler food preferences don't stick around long here).

Ride vehicle Hidden Mickey!
I love that! Very cool.

DL still has Snow White’s Scary Adventures, so we had to do that, of course!
Oh, I forgot the ride was still out there! Thanks for the reminder.

(Frontierland is not open during EMH, so it had just opened up at this point.)
That surprises me - no early morning Big Thunder, huh? I guess there are probably plenty of other good EMH options, though.

Roni, playing catch up again!

What a great way to start the day...Starbucks! :thumbsup2 You are my kind of girl. :)

Space Mountain walk on....nice.

Willow dancing...:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: I saw that pkondz posted a shout out to her in his TR for the "no dancing."

I miss the Snow White ride.

Too bad that BTMR was down, but glad you got a FP for it for later.

And nice catch on the hidden mickeys on POTC.

We were up and ready to go bright and early once again - out the door at 6:25AM.
Wow! Willow looks awake and ready to go!

A quick detour was needed for coffee and a chocolate milk.
Apparently she was more awake and ready to go than you... :rolleyes1

Oh, this is the Little Red Wagon where you can get hand-dipped corndogs - supposed to be delicious....
I so wanted to get one of those. Every time I passed by it was always a really long line though, and I never took the time to wait.

Some views from our flight.
Aaaaaah... I want to be back in Disneyland.

DL still has Snow White’s Scary Adventures, so we had to do that, of course!
Naturally!

(I should mention here that the A&E meet has since changed; they have moved to DCA as part of Frozen Fun and can now be met via FP. You will hear MUCH more about all that if you join in for our January 2015 TR once I get it going!)
I was talking to a CM at the Village Haus restaurant one evening and he was telling me about how chaotic it used to be when A&E were there. He also said that business had slowed to a crawl ever since they moved over to DCA. :lmao:

Buzz from Toy Story!
Going back to read...
:woohoo:That's two more!! You are creeping up on Courtney there....

She looks pretty chipper for 6:25.
Is that just a Disney phenomenon? Or is she pretty good on school days?
She hasn't reached that age yet where they can't get up in the morning. She is a very early riser at home too.

Huh. I'm a little surprised. Most kids don't like coffee.
How was your chocolate milk?
DEEEE-licious!

Perchance, the word on rope drop is getting out.
Right? I was pretty shocked by how many people were there that early. :scared1:

Okay! Just let me tie my shoelaces... uh, hang on guys. Wait up! Waiiittt!!!
Oops - sorry!

Nebo and Smidgy's corndogs!!!
I'm pretty sure I have read one or two of their TRs years ago before I was really posting on the DIS myself. I didn't realize they were DL corndog fans.

:laughing: Nope. Still not old.
Very relieved to hear that! :laughing:

Heh.
My girls were too scared to go on it first time (4 and 8).
When they rode it 4 years later, they didn't understand what I was talking about.
"That's not scary!"
But I credit it with giving them the courage to try HM (which they loved).
Kind of missed their SW window there, huh? :laughing:

And you got her hands to be blurry! :laughing:
And that, my friend, is just how good a photographer I am!!!! :rolleyes1

Thanks for the update! :goodvibes
Thank you! And now I need to get back over to the WDW TR board and catch up on your TR!

Is it wrong that the carpet in that hotel gives me goosebumps? Didn't think so.
Not at all! It's awesome, isn't it?

I do remember how much I loved Space Mountain in Disneyland. It is just eons better that Magic Kingdom. The walk in to the ride seems so strange to me though. But I do also love a ride vehicle Hidden Mickey.
I will really miss the DL version this summer. I do agree that the queue area is just bizarre. :laughing:

Ahhh classic Dumbo. I really really do like the look of it in WDW, it's breathtaking, but there is something special about Dumbo in DLand.
I agree - I like the new Dumbo at MK, but it doesn't seem like it's in the right place back there. :confused3

Ha, looks like someone needs a "No Dancing" shirt.
You know, she really does!

Roni, I did Snow White when I was there (of course), but I have a question. Does it kind of end... abruptly? I know we were really confused like "Wait... What... It's over????? It is quite different from the old WDW version so I'm just curious if you found the same. Maybe one time wasn't enough to get it.
Yes, I think it does! I cannot for the life of me remember what the WDW version was like, but I remember thinking that every time I've ridden the DL version. :laughing:

I just love looking at your photos. They bring back such great Disneyland memories. The subject of which did come up on my last trip to WDW, so it is on the radar.
Oh, do tell!!! Are you going to go??????

Hiya! :wave2: It's been a while since I've been over here, so I had a TON of reading to do ;) Fabulous pictures as always. I just love "Dancing Willow"! Too precious! Those really show her cute personality.
Hey there! I've missed you! Glad you stopped by. :goodvibes

Hope you haven't been working too hard. Life always seems to get crazy when Spring approaches...for whatever reason.
Yeah, work has been crazy here. I know everything has probably been super-busy for you too. It's so hard to keep up with everything!

Wow, lots of early risers! :eek: Though I suppose anyone coming from later time zones has a bit easier time with the early mornings...at least it would feel like 8:45am to us. :thumbsup2
Yeah - I was kind of surprised to see SO many people that early. Maybe they did have a lot of folks visiting from the East Coast - I don't know. :confused3

Will have to remember that, if/when we get out there. Yum! And maybe Izzy would still like them (toddler food preferences don't stick around long here).
Yeah, those changing food preferences - I hate to tell you, but they last a LONG time. So frustrating! :laughing:

I love that! Very cool.
:thumbsup2

Oh, I forgot the ride was still out there! Thanks for the reminder.
I still don't understand why they got rid of it at MK. I mean, they have a lot of space, they have way more guests than they do attractions. How about adding new ones WITHOUT removing old ones? Just an idea... :confused3 :rotfl2:

That surprises me - no early morning Big Thunder, huh? I guess there are probably plenty of other good EMH options, though.
Yep - EMH is limited to Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. There are a LOT of rides in those two lands though - definitely enough to keep everyone busy.

Roni, playing catch up again!
Hi Kathy! As you know, I'm always playing that game! :laughing:

What a great way to start the day...Starbucks! :thumbsup2 You are my kind of girl. :)
With the kind of hours we were keeping and the amount of walking we were doing, I would have DIED without Starbucks! :rotfl2:

Space Mountain walk on....nice.
It doesn't get much better than that!
Willow dancing...:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: I saw that pkondz posted a shout out to her in his TR for the "no dancing."
I saw that too! Wasn't that so sweet???

I miss the Snow White ride.
Another reason for you to visit DLR, Kathy!!!

Too bad that BTMR was down, but glad you got a FP for it for later.
Yep - we couldn't complain. PotC at DL is AMAZING. No complaints!

Wow! Willow looks awake and ready to go!
Oh, yes, she is very much a morning person. :laughing:

Apparently she was more awake and ready to go than you... :rolleyes1
No doubt!

I so wanted to get one of those. Every time I passed by it was always a really long line though, and I never took the time to wait.
You can get the hand-dipped corndogs in CA as well. I'm not 100% sure that they are exactly the same, but I think they may very well be.

Aaaaaah... I want to be back in Disneyland.
Oh, you and me both. I can't believe we have no current plans to return. I'm seeing a 9th-birthday trip cropping up out of desperation next year. :laughing:

I was talking to a CM at the Village Haus restaurant one evening and he was telling me about how chaotic it used to be when A&E were there. He also said that business had slowed to a crawl ever since they moved over to DCA. :lmao:
I'm sure that's true! Waiting for A&E on Willow's 7th birthday trip was the longest I have ever waited in a line in my entire life. It was miserable!!!

The Contest: First person to provide the movie title from which the chapter heading comes gets a point; two points if the character who utters the line is also identified. If the first person doesn’t name the character, the first poster to do so will get a point.

Current Standing:
Courtney (courtneybelle): 16 points
Jill (jedijill): 22 points
pkondz: 12 points
Megan (MonsterWDWmom): 2 points
Shannon (shan23877): 8 points
Lori (STLMickeyMom): 4 points
petals: 1 point
Rob (DisneyKid4Life): 4 points
Dugette: 6 points
Kathy (KatMark): 2 points

"So you want a splash, Mr. Starkey? I'll give you a splash!"

Day 12B - Tuesday, 5 August 2014 - Disneyland Resort

After we disembarked our PotC boat, we made our way through New Orleans Square...

... and into Adventureland.

Oh, hey, this is the entrance of the Dream Suite above PotC - like the suite in Cinderella's Castle, people can win stays here and such.

Like I said, we made our way into Adventureland....

Our plan was to get some FPs for Indiana Jones, but the machines were down. What in the world??? :confused3 (For those counting, that's two mountains and the FP machines for one of the more popular rides all down in the first hour of the park being open.)

Anyway, we doubled back because Willow really wanted to see Tigger today as she was wearing her Tigger cupcake shirt. We knew Tigger and friends would not be out yet, but there were several things that we could enjoy on the way to and in Critter Country. Our first stop was the Haunted Mansion - it was about 8:43, and there was no wait at all. :woohoo:

As we were passing by Splash Mountain - I don't do Splash Mountain because I HATE walking around in wet clothes - Willow started begging to go on since the posted wait was basically nothing. Gah - for some reason, I said yes. :confused3 And we started our stop-less way through the queue area.

Up Next: Day 12B (cont.)

Day 12B - Tuesday, 5 August 2014 - Disneyland Resort (cont.)

I requested the back rows (Splash in DL is single seats per row), which worked out well as far as getting wet. :thumbsup2

We did have a very nice ride. ::yes::

When we got off, we got in line to get our ride photo. But it was taking forever, so we decided to get it later and head over to use our BTMRR FPs since Pooh and friends were not going to be out until sometime between 10:30 and 11. It was only about 9:15 at this point. Thankfully, BTMRR was working now, and we had a great time!

No dancing, Willow!

I disobeyed you!

I tried again to get some pics of the new mine-shaft/explosion area, but, well, not great....

Anyway, we enjoyed ourselves so much that we gathered up another set of these.

Up Next: Day 12C

Sorry so many things were down that morning! Not cool. :sad2:

That dream suite over PotC is pretty cool, though, I bet! :thumbsup2

I hate getting wet too and always ask for the back in Splash. I love the ride, though, so can't skip it. So long and so much to look at. :lovestruc

Oooh, DL Big Thunder! Sounds so fun! I'm sad that they didn't "plus" the WDW one last time they did a refurb. :confused3

Sorry so many things were down that morning! Not cool. :sad2:
Yeah, it was weird. I mean, it didn't really bother us because there were plenty of other things to do, but it was strange. :confused3

That dream suite over PotC is pretty cool, though, I bet! :thumbsup2
I certainly wouldn't be mad if someone offered me a night's stay there! :goodvibes

I hate getting wet too and always ask for the back in Splash. I love the ride, though, so can't skip it. So long and so much to look at. :lovestruc
I agree - now that I've figured out that I can ask for the back row, I'm much more willing to do it. I HATE being in wet clothes, but it is such a fun ride. Back row = perfect for me! Even then, I'm not sad if I happen to have a poncho on. :rotfl2:

Oooh, DL Big Thunder! Sounds so fun! I'm sad that they didn't "plus" the WDW one last time they did a refurb. :confused3
You know, both Willow and I really enjoyed the addition to BTMRR. We had a lot of fun with it. Almost made it worth having to forego BTMRR on our previous trip due to the refurb. Almost.... :laughing:

It's a shame so many things were down.
I had completely forgotten that Splash is single seats at DL. But great to know that the back seats are somewhat more "splash safe". ;)
That is such a cute photo of Willow passing the regular line on BTMR. And again the "disobey" photos make me laugh.

Ooh ooh ooh no one yet? Hook in Peter Pan?

I love how you're able to add these quote titles and have them be so perfect for the chapter.

Oy, that is not a good sign when the FP machines are down for a ride. I don't remember ever seeing that happen, though I'm sure it has.

I love that the look of HM in Dland is so different that MK. In fact, that's something I really appreciated there. Even if the ride was (somewhat) the same, the look and feel is completely unique.

Case in point, Splash Mountain. Single seats there, doubles in MK, and yet Space Mountain is the opposite.

That's too bad the FP machine was down (I think at DW they used to have someone there handing them to you if the machine went down :confused3 ).

I'm glad you went on Splash Mountain and didn't get wet. Single riders on Splash? Double riders on Space? Complete opposite of DW. Now, didn't DW used to have single riders on Splash? I'm so confused. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

There goes that Willow dancing again. :goodvibes

Can I now go see Tigger with Willow?

Oh, geez. Somehow I missed your last post!
Probably opened it, didn't have time to read or started and had to stop then it wasn't marked as "unread" anymore.
Well, I'll be reading it for sure in a bit!
(Won't forget this time, either. Sorry!)

Our plan was to get some FPs for Indiana Jones, but the machines were down. What in the world??? :confused3 (For those counting, that's two mountains and the FP machines for one of the more popular rides all down in the first hour of the park being open.)
So, in other words a typical morning at Disneyland... :rolleyes1

As we were passing by Splash Mountain - I don't do Splash Mountain because I HATE walking around in wet clothes - Willow started begging to go on since the posted wait was basically nothing. Gah - for some reason, I said yes. :confused3
I love Splash Mountain... but I'm right there with you on the wet clothes thing. Wet shoes are especially bad. I always try to dress appropriately or do it right before leaving the park when I plan to ride.

I requested the back rows (Splash in DL is single seats per row), which worked out well as far as getting wet. :thumbsup2
I'm glad you avoided being totally soaked.

I tried again to get some pics of the new mine-shaft/explosion area, but, well, not great....
Nice try. That really is a cool effect.

Oh, hey, this is the entrance of the Dream Suite above PotC - like the suite in Cinderella's Castle, people can win stays here and such.

Meh. I dunno. I think I would get a little tired of constantly hearing "Yo ho, yo ho a pirate's life for me".
Especially around two o'clock in the morning.

(For those counting, that's two mountains and the FP machines for one of the more popular rides all down in the first hour of the park being open.)

I wasn't counting, but... Wow! That's a lot down.
I presume you got a full refund?

No?

Willow really wanted to see Tigger today as she was wearing her Tigger cupcake shirt.

I can't think of a better reason to want to go see Tigger.

Our first stop was the Haunted Mansion - it was about 8:43, and there was no wait at all.

Sweet! What's better than HM?
HM with no wait!

Whoa, whoa, whoa there little girl. What's with the big smile? This is the Haunted Mansion.
Are you not terrified?
Ooooohhhh..... ghosts.
Scared, now?

How about now?

Now?

Now?

I don't do Splash Mountain because I HATE walking around in wet clothes - Willow started begging to go on since the posted wait was basically nothing. Gah - for some reason, I said yes.

:laughing: I totally get it.
The sacrifices we make for our children!

I requested the back rows (Splash in DL is single seats per row), which worked out well as far as getting wet.

Oh? So the back rows are less likely to get you wet?
I'll have to remember that.

Thankfully, BTMRR was working now, and we had a great time!

Yes! Another awesome ride!
Who doesn't love BTMRR??

No dancing, Willow!

I disobeyed you!

:laughing: Nope. Still not old!

Tough getting a picture in there. The ride's moving, your moving, it's dark.
Not an easy shot to take.

Anyway, we enjoyed ourselves so much that we gathered up another set of these.

Woot!
Then again... why wouldn't you?!?

Up Next: Day 12C

Looking forward to it!
Thanks for the update Roni! :goodvibes

Meh. I dunno. I think I would get a little tired of constantly hearing "Yo ho, yo ho a pirate's life for me".
Especially around two o'clock in the morning.
We can never be roommates for a Disney trip then. pirate:

Hi! I LOVE your photos and gifs. You're a talented writer too! Thank you for those pictures of the inside of the BBB. I'm going to show my kids before we go so they have a basic idea of what to expect. One of my DD's can't decide between Rapunzel and Jasmine, the other just wants to be Ariel, but after seeing the photos, they may have a harder time figuring out what they want!

I drove down with my mum to the Bay area when I was 10? 11? and remember (vaguely) stopping at the Sea Lion Caves. How wonderful you guys did that too.

Now I'm thinking, "hmm... planning a drive down in 2 years won't be so hard will it?"... we're leaving from BC though... :)

Anyway, looking forward to the next instalment.

It's a shame so many things were down.

You know, we have generally had very good luck with rides and not having a lot of them go down on us, so this was kind of a weird morning. But not a big deal - there were plenty of other things to do!:woohoo:

I had completely forgotten that Splash is single seats at DL. But great to know that the back seats are somewhat more "splash safe". ;)
I won't ride Splash at either MK or DL unless I get the back row! :rotfl2:

That is such a cute photo of Willow passing the regular line on BTMR. And again the "disobey" photos make me laugh.
Aww - thanks!

Ooh ooh ooh no one yet? Hook in Peter Pan?
You got it!!! :cool1:

I love how you're able to add these quote titles and have them be so perfect for the chapter.
Thank you!!! It has actually been REALLY hard, and for many of them, I've wondered if anyone actually "gets" what I was trying to do as far as the quotation matching the update at all! :laughing:

Oy, that is not a good sign when the FP machines are down for a ride. I don't remember ever seeing that happen, though I'm sure it has.
It was definitely weird. Thank goodness there are so many other attractions to do!

I love that the look of HM in Dland is so different that MK. In fact, that's something I really appreciated there. Even if the ride was (somewhat) the same, the look and feel is completely unique.
I agree! I think it's wonderful that the rides that were included in MK that were also at DL were altered even if just in appearance. And DL's HM is so perfect for its location at DL, and MK's is so perfect for it's location at MK. I love it!

Case in point, Splash Mountain. Single seats there, doubles in MK, and yet Space Mountain is the opposite.
That one baffles me, but I do love having seats together at Space - in the darkness, I much prefer to have my kid sitting next to me (especially when she was smaller). ::yes::

That's too bad the FP machine was down (I think at DW they used to have someone there handing them to you if the machine went down :confused3 ).
Hmm, you know, maybe that was the case here? I really don't know - there were SO MANY people kind of standing around confused that we just high-tailed it out of there! :rotfl2:

I'm glad you went on Splash Mountain and didn't get wet. Single riders on Splash? Double riders on Space? Complete opposite of DW. Now, didn't DW used to have single riders on Splash? I'm so confused. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
That I don't know. My first trip to WDW was only about 5 years ago! Never went as a kid - only DLR. I love the double-rider situation for Space though. MUCH prefer DL's Space over all, actually.

There goes that Willow dancing again. :goodvibes
:laughing:

Can I now go see Tigger with Willow?
Wouldn't that be so fun????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter