Disneyland or Bust: A Mother-Daughter Coastal Road Trip

The Contest: First person to provide the movie title from which the chapter heading comes gets a point; two points if the character who utters the line is also identified. If the first person doesn’t name the character, the first poster to do so will get a point.

Current Standing:
Courtney (courtneybelle): 14 points
Jill (jedijill): 22 points
pkondz: 10 points
Megan (MonsterWDWmom): 2 points
Shannon (shan23877): 8 points
Lori (STLMickeyMom): 4 points
petals: 1 point
Rob (DisneyKid4Life): 2 points
Dugette: 6 points

"I'll add a few new paintings to my gallery."

Day 11F - Monday, 4 August 2014 - Disneyland Resort

When I last left off, we had ditched the parks for a nap! :scared1: And it was a much-needed nap, I think. Willow actually slept for almost 2 hours! We both showered and got ready to head out again after that. At 3:30, we were headed back to DCA.

Before we headed out, however, I realized that Willow was missing her Minnie ears that she had just purchased that morning. :( We figured she had probably left them at Disney Junior or the shop where she had bought her Frozen shirt. So we were on a mission!

Quickly, we made it through Bag Check.

To the Gates!

Oops - had to stop to take a picture with a neat car.

(I believe that Oswald meets right around here now - how bummed was I to learn that he started meeting there shortly after we got home????)

First, we went to Guest Relations to see if they might be in a lost-and-found place there.

Well, it turns out that lost-and-found is outside the park, but the CM there suggested that we try Disney Jr. because they likely would not have been turned in yet. So we hoofed it over there and found a CM out front handling the queue. We talked to her, and she was the only CM there and seemed a bit frazzled (understandably). She did call back and try to see if she could find someone who could check, but eventually she suggested that we take our receipt back to the shop where Willow had purchased the ears. I didn't want to do that yet because it really didn't have anything to do with the shop - Willow had lost them. So we decided to try the last possibility - the shop where Willow had purchased her Frozen t-shirt. Maybe she had left them on the counter there.

So we hoofed it back over to that shop (okay - it was across the street and down about a block). There was a CM in the doorway, so we asked her if they had any kind of lost-and-found or somewhere they kept things that were left behind before they delivered to the bigger lost-and-found, explaining what had happened. She told us to come with her and walked over to a display of ears. She asked Willow which type she had lost and then took down a pair, walked them over to the cash register, and charged them to Mickey. :lovestruc

Willow couldn't believe her luck and was VERY grateful. We headed out, sporting ears, of course, and headed off to try something we had never done before.

Of course, we had to stop first for a picture with Walt.

We saw this musical crew heading down the street.

But we were headed here!

We were finally going to try the Animation Academy!!! (At DCA, this building also houses Turtle Talk and some other things.)

When we arrived, there was still a bit of time before the next class, so we went in to one of the other rooms and checked out the Toy Story zoetrope, which was amazing! What’s a zoetrope? I’m glad you asked! It is a device that flashes a series of still images to produce an illusion of motion; however this version does not use one-dimensional drawings but instead three dimensional figures. Large disks with the figures whirl around while a strobe light flashes, and it looks like the toy Story characters come to life. It is VERY cool!!!

A picture cannot do this justice, so I got a little video clip for you. (And then spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out how to get that clip from my phone, onto my Mac and then onto PhotoBucket. You ARE WELCOME!)

Okay, admittedly, that was not a great video clip. I tried!

We headed back here a little before 3:45.

And soon we were ready to draw!

Up Next: Day 11F (cont.)

Day 11F - Monday, 4 August 2014 - Disneyland Resort (cont.)

For our first-ever animation class, we got to draw Piglet!

We LOVED this! I mean, really loved it! When we exited, Willow wanted to do it again, so we just walked back around to the front and got in line for the next class. And we got to draw Olaf!!!! :woohoo:

When we were finally done drawing for the day (about 4:25) - okay, we weren't really done, but that had been their last class of the day - we walked out and discovered the parade just starting. We couldn't believe our luck - we grabbed a spot right there and watched the whole thing!

I LOVE the Buzz Lightyear girls!!!

Jessie and Woody were shooting the crowds with water.

For some reason, Slinky wasn’t walking today!

Up Next: Day 11G

What a terrific CM! That's what Disney magic is about you unbelievers! :thumbsup2

I have seen the zoetrope in another TR (jen's maybe) and it looks really cool.

How great that you went to the Animation Class and were able to do back-to-back classes (I doubt that would ever happen at DW). And two of my favorite characters -- Piglet and Olaf. You both did great.

What a fun looking parade. I'm with you...love the Buzz Lightyear girls.

Willow actually slept for almost 2 hours! We both showered and got ready to head out again after that. At 3:30, we were headed back to DCA.

Someone looks a little more rested, that's for sure!

Before we headed out, however, I realized that Willow was missing her Minnie ears that she had just purchased that morning. :(

Oh, no. I presume there were a few tears shed.

(I believe that Oswald meets right around here now - how bummed was I to learn that he started meeting there shortly after we got home????)

How bummed were you?

Sorry, was that not the correct straight line?

Well, it turns out that lost-and-found is outside the park

Of course it is! :sad2:

So we hoofed it back over to that shop (okay - it was across the street and down about a block)

:laughing: I told you. I'd believe anything. "So we hoofed it back over to that shop. It was located in Pennsylvania."

She told us to come with her and walked over to a display of ears. She asked Willow which type she had lost and then took down a pair, walked them over to the cash register, and charged them to Mickey. :lovestruc

That's great! Pure Disney magic.

Looks pretty happy! :)

however this version does not use one-dimensional drawings but instead three dimensional figures. Large disks with the figures whirl around while a strobe light flashes, and it looks like the toy Story characters come to life. It is VERY cool!!!

Cool!

A picture cannot do this justice, so I got a little video clip for you

No, I got it. That is cool!

For our first-ever animation class, we got to draw Piglet!

You both did very well with your drawings.

For some reason, Slinky wasn’t walking today!

Dog tired. It was the heat.
Thanks for the update! :goodvibes:

They NEED to bring Oswald to WDW. Like seriously NOW!!

Oh I am in LOVE with the Minne Ear story Roni. These are the things that make me so proud to be a Disney fan.

OMG the Zoetrope!! I remember that so well. I was just mesmerized by it.

I really like the look of the Animation Academy there. It looks like maybe kind of stadium seating? The stage area looks so cute.

Aww what a cute little parade. That is definitely new since I was there.

Hi Roni! I replied earlier not realizing I missed two updates…you're a machine!!!

Haha, love that picture of Patrick from Soarin'!!!

Willow shaking Captain Hook's hand just made me laugh out loud. So polite even to the villains.

Gluten-free Mickey waffles! :thumbsup2

I hate to tell you this, but your summer trip isn't that far away…you're going to be working overtime on these boards getting all your TRs done!

Nothing makes me feel old (well relatively) than seeing these Disney Junior shows…so different from when I was a young'n!

Aww, I just love that cupcake shirt!

So glad Willow was able to get a new pair of Minnie ears!!

The Animation Building at DCA is AMAZING. I could hang out there for hours. You can also rent that place out for weddings, which is something I've considered…just gotta find a husband first :bride:

And the zoetrope is the COOLEST.

Okay I am so jealous you guys got to draw Olaf!!!! You both did a fantastic job! We do the Animation Academy all the time at WDW because my mom and my sister are super artistic and I like to pretend I am.

I had no idea there was a Pixar parade! The floats are amazing!

I really like those Incredibles scooter things. We should probably invest in those in case we're ever in WDW together and get sick of walking around. You can even get a sidecar for Willow.

Last edited:
*Sigh* Disney Jr show. We had to do it this year as well. So annoying that they can read now LOL It is a nice place to get out of the heat.

Love the Sully pillow pet! so cute! I think we should all have fireworks over our heads all of the time!

Fantastic that the CM got her a new pair of ears. So sweet!

Yay for the Animation Academy! Cute drawings! Very jealous of your Olaf.

You guys had perfect timing that afternoon!

YOu are an updating machine!

Last edited:
We went straight to the show and got in line. It was HOT and CROWDED. And we were tired! Look at this kid!
Wow... She needs some A/C.

But she was all smiles when we made it into the show.
:thumbsup2

Our room was clean, and you can finally see which pillow pet Willow chose!
Excellent choice! I like him!
When I last left off, we had ditched the parks for a nap! :scared1: And it was a much-needed nap, I think. Willow actually slept for almost 2 hours! We both showered and got ready to head out again after that. At 3:30, we were headed back to DCA.
I'm glad she was re-energized. I was afraid you were going to say she wasn't feeling well or something.

We saw that he was supposed to be there, but never saw him once... Not that we actually actively checked times and tried to find him, but you'd think we'd see him at least one of the times we passed by there.

So we hoofed it back over to that shop (okay - it was across the street and down about a block). There was a CM in the doorway, so we asked her if they had any kind of lost-and-found or somewhere they kept things that were left behind before they delivered to the bigger lost-and-found, explaining what had happened. She told us to come with her and walked over to a display of ears. She asked Willow which type she had lost and then took down a pair, walked them over to the cash register, and charged them to Mickey. :lovestruc
I'm glad that the CM made the effort to replace her ears!

We LOVED this! I mean, really loved it! When we exited, Willow wanted to do it again, so we just walked back around to the front and got in line for the next class. And we got to draw Olaf!!!! :woohoo:
Great drawings! I'm glad you both enjoyed it!

The parade looks awesome. We didn't get a chance to see it. Had I seen the pictures before our trip, I'm pretty sure we would have made more of an effort to get over there to see it one afternoon.

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

As far as our kids are concerned, they don't have this show in Disneyland... :rolleyes1

Oh you are so lucky! We avoided that show for YEARS! It's fine, not a bad show, but not how I'd choose to spend my time LOLOL

Rapunzel - Tangled???
Go Rob!!!! :woohoo:

What a terrific CM! That's what Disney magic is about you unbelievers! :thumbsup2
So true, Kathy! I had a feeling that's what they would do at the shop where we purchased them, which is why I wanted to check the shop where I thought she might have left them first - I would rather we find hers in the lost and found than have them gift us with them when it was our fault we lost them. But it was so nice of the CM, and Willow was BLOWN AWAY. :goodvibes

I have seen the zoetrope in another TR (jen's maybe) and it looks really cool.
Oh, it is so cool, Kathy! I know you will really love it when you visit DLR. Assuming that Frozen has exited the building and you can visit it......

How great that you went to the Animation Class and were able to do back-to-back classes (I doubt that would ever happen at DW). And two of my favorite characters -- Piglet and Olaf. You both did great.
Oh, we loved it SO MUCH! Are the classes super-crowded at WDW? I don't think people realize they are there at DCA. It was VERY easy to exit, walk around, and get back in the queue for the next class with plenty of open space. And this was the height of summer!

What a fun looking parade. I'm with you...love the Buzz Lightyear girls.
It's a really great Pixar parade! Weren't those Buzz girls awesome??

Ah. You think I'm kidding.
You'll see.
Oh my.... I can hardly wait!

:laughing: No. But if you're going to just give 'em away, then, sure!
Never!!! :wizard:

I did! And yes. Probably start on it as soon as I read your latest update. :)
Ooooooh, I need to check your signature for a link! DOH!!!!!

Someone looks a little more rested, that's for sure!
I was very relieved - I was a little concerned that she might actually be getting sick. Phew!

Oh, no. I presume there were a few tears shed.
We both handled it reasonably well. :laughing:

Of course it is! :sad2:
That's pretty much how I felt. Really??? We lost something in DCA, so we make the STUPID mistake of going INTO DCA to try to locate the lost and found. :rolleyes:

:laughing: I told you. I'd believe anything. "So we hoofed it back over to that shop. It was located in Pennsylvania."
And yet I still can't remember to use that to my evil advantage!!!! :rotfl2:

That's great! Pure Disney magic.
We were both very grateful. Honestly, the reason that I went to so much effort to try to find our actual ears was that I just knew that, if we went back to the original shop, they would do something like this. Which is AWESOME. But I thought it only fair that we make every effort we could to find the ones Willow had paid for. I would have preferred to find our ears just because it seems more "fair," but we were both really appreciative that the CM at the shop where Willow got her Frozen shirt was so kind. We did talk about how this is very much a Disney thing - you can't expect to lose things and have shops anywhere just give you a new one. :laughing:

No, I got it. That is cool!
Oh good! It didn't feel like it came across very well in the video - it is sooooo much better in person. But I'm glad you could get the effect. It is so cool!

You both did very well with your drawings.
Thank you! :laughing: We loved doing them - crazy that one of the highlights of our trip to DLR where there is so much to see and do was sitting in a drawing class. Spoiler alert - this will not be the last time we do this class! :rotfl2:

Dog tired. It was the heat.
Thanks for the update! :goodvibes:
Thanks so much for continuing to join in! :goodvibes

I'm so glad you have started a new TR! BTW, from whence hail the Buffoon titles of your TRs? You couldn't possibly know this about me, but that is one of my favorite descriptive words on earth - unfortunately, I find need to use it at work pretty much every day and often MANY times a day! :laughing:

They NEED to bring Oswald to WDW. Like seriously NOW!!
Wait, what??? I thought that they must have brought him to DHS since they had brought him to DCA. They didn't!!?? Well, that makes our decision in our January trip all the MORE important. PHEW!!! More on that once I finally get that TR going......

Oh I am in LOVE with the Minne Ear story Roni. These are the things that make me so proud to be a Disney fan.
Yes, it was wonderful! I had a feeling it would happen, which is why I made such an effort to find Willow's original ears - I really didn't want Mickey to have to give her another set if we could have found her original with some effort. The CM in the shop where we went looking for lost-and-found items was sooooo sweet. And Willow was stunned. We did talk about how that doesn't really happen in the real world though. :laughing:

OMG the Zoetrope!! I remember that so well. I was just mesmerized by it.
Isn't it cool???? We loved it! With the Frozen stuff, I don't think it's accessible, although I didn't make a specific effort to find it last month.

I really like the look of the Animation Academy there. It looks like maybe kind of stadium seating? The stage area looks so cute.
Yes - it is stadium seating - VERY nice, steep stadium seating so that there is no chance of a kid not being able to see. We haven't done it at WDW - I'm guessing from your comment that it's not like that there. :(

Aww what a cute little parade. That is definitely new since I was there.
It's a great parade with so many great Pixar movies represented! We have seen it on several trips. I can't remember when you went - they must have added sometime between then and our trips. Too bad - it's a good one! And VERY easy to see - even during high summer crowds, we had no trouble getting a front row right as the parade began. :thumbsup2

Hi Roni! I replied earlier not realizing I missed two updates…you're a machine!!!
:rotfl2: I'm going to completely confuse and forget our trip from last month if I don't get this one done and that one started! :scared1:

Haha, love that picture of Patrick from Soarin'!!!
I had to post it - I knew SOMEONE would appreciate it!

Willow shaking Captain Hook's hand just made me laugh out loud. So polite even to the villains.
But of course! :rotfl2: Willow really likes Hook - she has a good appreciation for the villains lately, definitely growing up. ;)

Gluten-free Mickey waffles! :thumbsup2
SO awesome!!!!!! :goodvibes

I hate to tell you this, but your summer trip isn't that far away…you're going to be working overtime on these boards getting all your TRs done!
I know - it almost makes me weep. I have GOT to move faster on this one. I really need to get the January one written because I'm starting to confuse them. :eek: And yeah, what, just over 5 months until our BIG SUMMER EXTRAVAGANZA???? :scared1:

Nothing makes me feel old (well relatively) than seeing these Disney Junior shows…so different from when I was a young'n!
Well, this should help: when I was young (okay, seriously, even when I was in high school), we had four channels at my house: ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS. Disney Channel? Not even a hint of someone's imagination at that point. :rotfl2:

Aww, I just love that cupcake shirt!
Thank you!!! You are not going to believe what I have started with the cupcakes for our next trip (debuting in the January trip as a test run)......

So glad Willow was able to get a new pair of Minnie ears!!
It was so sweet! I mean, it was totally our fault that they were gone.

The Animation Building at DCA is AMAZING. I could hang out there for hours. You can also rent that place out for weddings, which is something I've considered…just gotta find a husband first :bride:
Really??? That is so cool! Makes me almost wish I was getting married! :rotfl2:

And the zoetrope is the COOLEST.
We had a hard time breaking away from that thing.

Okay I am so jealous you guys got to draw Olaf!!!! You both did a fantastic job! We do the Animation Academy all the time at WDW because my mom and my sister are super artistic and I like to pretend I am.
Okay, this is something that we MUST do together if we ever happen to be at WDW at the same time. How fun would that be????

I had no idea there was a Pixar parade! The floats are amazing!
Oh, it's a great one! We have stopped for it several times over the years. I mean, that may partially because it is so much easier to stop for a parade at DLR. Even in the height of summer crowds, we always seem to be able to find a front-row spot right as the parades start. :confused3

I really like those Incredibles scooter things. We should probably invest in those in case we're ever in WDW together and get sick of walking around. You can even get a sidecar for Willow.
I am obsessed with those things! I think the best job at DCA is Mr. and Mrs. Incredible and Frozone - you can totally tell how much fun they are having on those things. It's hilarious! So, YES, we NEED them in WDW!!!!!

*Sigh* Disney Jr show. We had to do it this year as well. So annoying that they can read now LOL It is a nice place to get out of the heat.
Ugh - Willow never knew it existed until she spotted that marquee. GAH!

Love the Sully pillow pet! so cute! I think we should all have fireworks over our heads all of the time!
He has been a great pillow pet - super-soft. And I agree - would it be weird if I had such a headboard installed in all the bedrooms in my house???

Fantastic that the CM got her a new pair of ears. So sweet!
It was so nice - I felt bad!

Yay for the Animation Academy! Cute drawings! Very jealous of your Olaf.
We had SO much fun!!!!! I was glad we got Olaf after the fact - obviously from our drawings, he is one of the easier ones to "get." :laughing:

You guys had perfect timing that afternoon!
Very true! It was awesome!

YOu are an updating machine!
I am trying, but I'm still not moving fast enough - I need this one done so I can start the next. My memories of the two are starting to blur and become confused..... :crazy2:

Wow... She needs some A/C.
Seriously! That child was looking done in!

Excellent choice! I like him!
I have it on good authority that he makes a great pillow pet - very snuggly. :thumbsup2

I'm glad she was re-energized. I was afraid you were going to say she wasn't feeling well or something.
I was afraid of the same - I seriously thought that we had a good chance of being struck by a vacation illness that would sideline the rest of the trip. I was so glad to see that was not the case. Phew!!!

We saw that he was supposed to be there, but never saw him once... Not that we actually actively checked times and tried to find him, but you'd think we'd see him at least one of the times we passed by there.
He hadn't started meeting yet when we were there. HOWEVER, we may or may not have learned that his meeting spot is kind of across the way from there during our January trip. :rolleyes1

I'm glad that the CM made the effort to replace her ears!
It was so nice. I mean, it was totally OUR fault that her ears went missing. They had absolutely no obligation to give her another pair - helping us try to find them would have been more than enough. But it's Disney - they went the extra mile. Of course! :goodvibes

Great drawings! I'm glad you both enjoyed it!
Thank you! I can't describe how much fun we had with this. I had never expected that it would become a highlight of the trip for us.

The parade looks awesome. We didn't get a chance to see it. Had I seen the pictures before our trip, I'm pretty sure we would have made more of an effort to get over there to see it one afternoon.
Oh, I'm sorry - I wish I would have thought to tell you about how great that parade it. :( You have to go again!
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

As far as our kids are concerned, they don't have this show in Disneyland... :rolleyes1
Yep - I have relied on that for every WDW trip we have ever done. The independent reading of signs caught up with me this time. *sigh*

The Contest: First person to provide the movie title from which the chapter heading comes gets a point; two points if the character who utters the line is also identified. If the first person doesn’t name the character, the first poster to do so will get a point.

Current Standing:
Courtney (courtneybelle): 14 points
Jill (jedijill): 22 points
pkondz: 10 points
Megan (MonsterWDWmom): 2 points
Shannon (shan23877): 8 points
Lori (STLMickeyMom): 4 points
petals: 1 point
Rob (DisneyKid4Life): 4 points
Dugette: 6 points

"Now, here you are-a, the best a-spaghetti in a-town."

Day 11G - Monday, 4 August 2014 - Disneyland Resort

When I last left off, we had just enjoyed the DCA parade. After it had ended, we kind of followed it around towards Paradise Pier. We had a reservation for dinner at the Wine Country Trattoria for their World of Color dinner. (For those who don't know, there are three restaurants in DCA - Wine Country, Ariel's Grotto, and Carthay Circle - that offer a World of Color (WOC) meal (lunch or dinner). For a fixed price, you get a three-course limited menu and then tickets for a preferred viewing spot for the nighttime World of Color spectacular!)

We arrived at Wine Country a little before our 6:00 reservation. It was kind of crowded at the hostess stand.

But it seemed to be parties without reservations who weren't interested in waiting, because they cleared out quickly. And we were soon sent upstairs.

Here, we were greeted by another hostess and seated in a lovely open-air but well ventilated balcony area.

Willow was happy. Oops, forgot my ears, Mom!

Take the picture again!

Menu pics for those who would like to figure out what they would eat if they were there! ;)

Willow started with some very tasty bread.

I chose the Salad - arugula, fennel, red onion, spiced walnuts, and goat cheese with a fig-balsamic dressing - as my appetizer. It was tasty, of course.

Willow was provided with some carrots and celery and dip. She promptly became Olaf.

We traded ears and had to make sure we could hear each other well enough.

For her dinner, Willow had pizza.

I had the Herb-Roasted Chicken Breast served with Broccolini, Caramelized Onions, Red Peppers and pasta with a White Wine Garlic Sauce. I have no idea why I chose this - I had been planning on the seafood pasta for a long time, and at the last minute, I chose this. It was fine, but I just don't find chicken interesting enough to waste a restaurant experience on. What was I doing?????

We (and the table next to us) waited an incredibly long time for dessert (yeah - it was long enough that we started talking about it between tables. :laughing:). More hearing tests ensued.

And then Willow was presented with a chocolate caramel tart.

And I got a brownie.

We ate about half of our desserts before heading out - at almost 8:00.

Our meals at Wine Country were very good - I would definitely come here again.

Up Next: Day 11H

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter