Disneyland Hotel or Disney Grand Californian Hotel??

uramr

Jsdisneymom
We just found out that we have a family reunion that is being scheduled in southern California for next June. What's a Disney fan to do but add in a few days at Disneyland?!?! We have been to WDW many times but not to Disneyland. While we enjoy our time in the parks, we also make sure that we take time to experience our hotel/pools and cannot decide between the Disneyland Hotel and Grand Californian Hotel. Any thoughts or ideas?? Thank you!

Lots of factors involved in this choice. Do you put a premium on a Disney feel to your Hotel (DLH)? Do you like to spend time in the pool (DLH better themed pool but GCH is nice as well)? Is location a top priority (GCH hands down)? Is price an issue (both are expensive but but GCH can be shockingly $$$$).

We have Stayed at GCH and loved it but it is not somewhere we can consistently afford to stay at. I am hoping for our next trip that i can convince my wife to stay at DLH (have never stayed but have wandered around in the hotel and we both thought it would be nice to try). My advice search for pictures to get a feel for the rooms, search for all the amenities that each hotel and make a choice based on that. You will get a wide range of responses and in truth it is always a choice the individual/family needs to make based on their own wants/needs.

Ultimately you will enjoy either property so research and go with your gut feeling,

Oh and just to further muddy the waters :), PPH is very nice as well.

How old are your children?

I think that is the key.

As adults or with older kids I'd prefer the GCH. With little kids the DLH rooms are more Disney-fied, which I think is to make up for the lack of themeing in the rest of the hotel.

GCH feels like a WDW hotel because of how it is built. The DLH reminds me more the Swan or Dolphin.

Thanks everyone! Our kids will be 10 and 11. At WDW we usually rent points and stay at BLT as we really enjoy the quick walk to Magic Kingdom. We are leaning towards GCH as we like to spend the morning at the park, go to the pool in the afternoon, and in the evening head back at the park. It is my understanding is that it is the closest hotel to the parks....but the theme of the DLH looks like fun (as does the pool!!!)

IMHO, I would chose the DLH based on the ages of your kids. They will absolutely love the pools and water slides there! Our son is 13 and still loves the pools there. To me it is also the nicest hotel right now. The GCH rooms really need some refurbishment and you pay so much more. Plus, the DLH has the little touches that make it feel so Disney!! Oh and the headboards are awesome!

Edited to say: The DLH is not far from the parks. It is a nice walk through DTD and if staying at the GCH, I wouldn't use their entrance into DCA first thing in the morning. The line gets really long. You are better off just using the main entrance to the park.

I was a GCH only gal until I stayed at DLH for the first time in May. Now it's a complete toss-up! So I suppose it's what's most important to you.

Overall I found DLH to be lighter, brighter, and funner. There are many more Disney themed touches all over the place than GCH, which I LOVED. Teacup chairs in the lobby, the giant map with animated parts, monorail pool, and the light up sorcerer Mickey hat you walk through on the way to and from the park all really make the stay feel more "magical". I liked the rooms in DLH more as well (though I wish they had balconies). they felt a little bigger, and the bathroom layouts are usually better. Not to mention how awesome the light-up headboard is that plays music (even my 12 y/o loved it). Overall, I feel you can't go wrong with the DLH.

The GCH on the other hand, has some distinctive perks in my eyes. It's darker and cozier than DLH, and you get the sense you're at a laid-back, far-off retreat even though you're closer to everything than DLH. The lobby is awe-inspiring (much like Wilderness Lodge, I hear, but less floors) and when you first walk in there's a definite "wow" factor DLH misses. Everything is just a bit nicer than DLH when it comes to the common areas, especially the elevators, which are bigger. The rooms feel more compact to me, but have cool lanterns that dim, and the best part is the balcony and the view (aside from standard you can get quiet courtyard w/monorail going by, pool area/Cal. Adventure, or Downtown Disney [my fave]).

I usually save GCH for the Holidays, and would like to use DLH for summery/spring visits, but that's just me. Good luck on your decision!

GCH TO DH 2.jpg D4.jpg
Thanks everyone! Our kids will be 10 and 11. At WDW we usually rent points and stay at BLT as we really enjoy the quick walk to Magic Kingdom. We are leaning towards GCH as we like to spend the morning at the park, go to the pool in the afternoon, and in the evening head back at the park. It is my understanding is that it is the closest hotel to the parks....but the theme of the DLH looks like fun (as does the pool!!!)

We have stayed at all 3 Resort Hotels and I would suggest the GCH just because of the location. If you need to get to your room for a change of clothes, or to grab something, you are right there. This sounds like a once in along time family reunion so why not spend the extra for it. If you stayed at the DLH , then walked thru the GCH, you might start wishing you had booked the GCH instead. The walk to the main gate is twice as far from the DLH.,and the monorail at DTD to get into the park wasn`t the best option since the trains ran 10 min apart and the boarding lines were long. The GCH entrance to DCA is right there at Grizzly River Rapids. Just know that using your EMH for DCA you may be better off going thru the DCA main entrance since the GCH to DCA entrance only has 2 turnstiles and the EMH line backs up. D2.jpg D4.jpg One map is the path from the closest DLH tower to the Escalade. The other 2 towers are an even longer walk. Another map is from the GCH elevators to the Escalade. This third map is from the DLH thru the GCH to use the GCH entrance to DCA. The map is labeled wrong. Where it says Downtown Disney District is actually the roof of the GCH. DTD is along the blue line parallel to the tram

Last edited:
This is a hard one and as everyone pointed out ... there are many factors to consider. Personally, I just would love the fact that staying at one of them is even an option so both seem GREAT to me! We have stayed at both and have enjoyed them quite equally. The DLH is awesome.. it's just a hub of excitement.. so much going on and so much to see. The Grand Californian.. it's a whole different world, very relaxing, and SO CLOSE TO THE PARKS! Our last two trips to DL were spent at the GCH and next week we are returning once again to the GCH! For us... it's the location! It makes things so much easier :thumbsup2 But... even though we did STAY at the GCH... we did make sure to allow time to visit the DLH and explore the grounds and enjoy all that it has to offer! Do what you need to do and just know that both are two very spectacular experiences!

We have stayed at DLH twice and GCH once and my 5 & 8 year olds have requested we stay at GCH from now on! They love the pool, location, bunk beds and the overall feel of GCH. GCH will be our first choice. The DLH has amazing pool and we love the Disney theme. However, the location (especially in hot months) is a real downside for us.

My kids are 8 and 11. We've stayed at DLH and GCH many times, and we spend more time in the resort pools than in the Parks on those trips!
The kids say:
Pool: Both are awesome but DLH wins!
Room: It's a tie because we've always gotten a bunkbed room at GCH. If you don't get a bunkbed room at GCH, DLH wins.
Bonus point for GCH: They can go from the pool to Grizzly River Run in their swim clothes, then run back and jump in the pool again!
Bonus point for DLH: I let them go alone to get drinks and snacks from the room because the tower set up is pretty straightforward and I can watch from the pool as they enter and exit Adventure tower.
Both hotels are fantastic but I personally prefer DLH for Trader Sam's, the Monorail slides, and the room theming!

IMHO, I would chose the DLH based on the ages of your kids. They will absolutely love the pools and water slides there! Our son is 13 and still loves the pools there. To me it is also the nicest hotel right now. The GCH rooms really need some refurbishment and you pay so much more. Plus, the DLH has the little touches that make it feel so Disney!! Oh and the headboards are awesome!

Edited to say: The DLH is not far from the parks. It is a nice walk through DTD and if staying at the GCH, I wouldn't use their entrance into DCA first thing in the morning. The line gets really long. You are better off just using the main entrance to the park.

I agree completely! GCH has the advantage of location overall for sure. However, it serves you best during the day (not at peak opening hours). Just keep that in mind when deciding. Your kids at the ages they are are going to LOVE the DLH pool, but both are great.

I was a GCH only gal until I stayed at DLH for the first time in May. Now it's a complete toss-up! So I suppose it's what's most important to you.

Overall I found DLH to be lighter, brighter, and funner. There are many more Disney themed touches all over the place than GCH, which I LOVED. Teacup chairs in the lobby, the giant map with animated parts, monorail pool, and the light up sorcerer Mickey hat you walk through on the way to and from the park all really make the stay feel more "magical". I liked the rooms in DLH more as well (though I wish they had balconies). they felt a little bigger, and the bathroom layouts are usually better. Not to mention how awesome the light-up headboard is that plays music (even my 12 y/o loved it). Overall, I feel you can't go wrong with the DLH.

The GCH on the other hand, has some distinctive perks in my eyes. It's darker and cozier than DLH, and you get the sense you're at a laid-back, far-off retreat even though you're closer to everything than DLH. The lobby is awe-inspiring (much like Wilderness Lodge, I hear, but less floors) and when you first walk in there's a definite "wow" factor DLH misses. Everything is just a bit nicer than DLH when it comes to the common areas, especially the elevators, which are bigger. The rooms feel more compact to me, but have cool lanterns that dim, and the best part is the balcony and the view (aside from standard you can get quiet courtyard w/monorail going by, pool area/Cal. Adventure, or Downtown Disney [my fave]).

I usually save GCH for the Holidays, and would like to use DLH for summery/spring visits, but that's just me. Good luck on your decision!

These are my thoughts exactly! DLH = summer and GCH = winter.

You're going to love either one! :)

We are WDW vets. To us GCH is a scaled down version of WL, which we have stayed at multiple times at WDW. We prefer DLH because it is different from anything at WDW. The walk from DLH to the parks is nice. It is a nice walk through DTD and not long by WDW standards. Now, if you are going to spring for a theme park view room, GCH can't be beat because you are basically looking down at the paths in the park. The entry into CA from GCH is nice too, especially if you are soaked after riding GRR and want a change of clothes, but you don't want to use that entrance at rope drop because it is slow and will get you behind a lot of the rope drop crowd. Both places are great, but we prefer DLH.

Check into renting points at VGC then!!! We love it there!

Thought I'd jump in an offer what I thought was a good tool when I was deciding. The DIS put out a video series, so you can actually see both. I ended up going with DLH just because it was cheaper, and actually looked nicer/more themed.

Disneyland Hotel

Grand Californian

Thank you everyone!! I am making my husband read along the responses with me. I have 2 follow up questions now after thinking about the information above and doing further reading.

1) Anyone ever use the Costco Packages. With their additions they appear to be better deals compared to the ones at the Disney website??

2) We have rented DVC points several times now and are comfortable with the process. Is it ever possible to get rooms at VGC under the 7 month mark or do you need to get them in the 7-11 month time frame?

Thank you everyone!! I am making my husband read along the responses with me. I have 2 follow up questions now after thinking about the information above and doing further reading.

1) Anyone ever use the Costco Packages. With their additions they appear to be better deals compared to the ones at the Disney website??

2) We have rented DVC points several times now and are comfortable with the process. Is it ever possible to get rooms at VGC under the 7 month mark or do you need to get them in the 7-11 month time frame?

I have tried to rent points from David's in the less than 7 month time frame and have been unsuccessful. The agents I've corresponded with said it's very difficult to get VGC reservations unless planning 7 months ahead which we rarely do.

It depends which month you go and what size room you want. You can try other dvc rental companies besides David's. We have rented twice directly from an owner to get it at 11 months. You can find them on ***********.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!