Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were going home as the fireworks went off last night the fog was so thick and so cool looking too.
My son and I were eating at plaza inn dinner and kept seeing things in the fog. One thing we saw was two of the hitchhiking ghosts from Hunted mansions ..in the fog. LOL

This morning was so foggy I was worried about our flight.

Another note- a guy we were across the way from on the plane said his son was so cranky (crying the whole way home except a few times daddy got him distracted) because last night there flight to PHX was canceled due to the fog and they had to stay in the airport over night. I felt so bad for the kiddo.

We were going home as the fireworks went off last night the fog was so thick and so cool looking too.
My son and I were eating at plaza inn dinner and kept seeing things in the fog. One thing we saw was two of the hitchhiking ghosts from Hunted mansions ..in the fog. LOL

This morning was so foggy I was worried about our flight.

Another note- a guy we were across the way from on the plane said his son was so cranky (crying the whole way home except a few times daddy got him distracted) because last night there flight to PHX was canceled due to the fog and they had to stay in the airport over night. I felt so bad for the kiddo.

That's no fun! What airport did you fly out of? If it was John Wayne, I thought they closed the airport at night. Maybe if flights are canceled they keep it open, which would be really nice. We're flying in later today, so I'm hoping that the fog is gone by then! :)

The fireworks have been running every night this week. We left the park early because of the heavy fog last night, and could hear the fireworks from our hotel. I didn't think they would be running. The fog rolled in so quick and heavy. We stayed to watch WOC Winter Dreams. Even though it was slightly delayed, they still showed it. It was interesting watching the projections in the fog, but still it turned out okay.:p
We watched it last night too! Little hard to see some of the projections even but probably better then trying to see the FW lol

it was sna not sure I just over heard some of the story he told one guy and Cap Bane (dh) heard more of it. I just know the kiddo was so cranky sad because of the flight canceled.

I just wanted to say that the Holiday Time tour was great!

I did the Holiday Tour today. I loved the pin they gave this year. You open it, and it has Walt's picture inside. They didn't go over to CA this time. They said they concentrated on all the 60th things in DL. Our tour guide shared a few history things about DL, which I guess was in lieu of going to CA. You still got the front of the line for HM, JC, and IASM. Plus, the front row seating for the parade.

On Sunday, they are doing a pre-parade celebration for Dick Van Dyke's 90th birthday right before the 2:00 "A Christmas Fantasy" Parade.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the changeover from Holiday season back to regular is like? Will all the decorations/trees come down over night? We will be there 1/4 - 1/9, and the Holiday season ends 1/6. Just curious how quick the changes are made.

I did the Holiday Tour today. I loved the pin they gave this year. You open it, and it has Walt's picture inside. They didn't go over to CA this time. They said they concentrated on all the 60th things in DL. Our tour guide shared a few history things about DL, which I guess was in lieu of going to CA. You still got the front of the line for HM, JC, and IASM. Plus, the front row seating for the parade.

On Sunday, they are doing a pre-parade celebration for Dick Van Dyke's 90th birthday right before the 2:00 "A Christmas Fantasy" Parade.
Too bad I flew home last night and missed seeing Dick Van Dyke!

I had a great time at Disneyland Dec. 8-12. The holiday versions of the Haunted Mansion, It's a Small World, and Jingle Cruise were fabulous! However, I never stayed at DP long enough in the evening to see Paint the Night or the fireworks. I intended to take a midday break Friday so I could see those two things, but ended up staying in the park all day. After 12 hours at DLR, I headed back to my hotel at 8 p.m. Friday.

Saturday at Disneyland Park was crazy! I went on the Cultivating the Magic tour in the morning, ate lunch at Downtown Disney and visited the Grand Californian, then spent the rest of the day at DCA. However, I wanted to walk around DP one last time at night. It was 8 p.m. and I wanted to leave the park by 8:30 to return to my hotel for my Super Shuttle pickup. I made the BIG MISTAKE of taking the train from Main Street to New Orleans Square - where the crowds were HUGE due to Fantasmic! The next time I return to Disneyland - I'll make plans to go elsewhere if I'm there on a Saturday!

By the way - I stayed at the new Homewood Suites near the Convention Center, and it's a lovely hotel.

On another note, I am in the process of booking a SOLO trip from December 30 - January 2 (Dates may change a little, but I'll be there for NYE). I have my PAP, so why not, right? It's been on my bucket list, and I won't pay to go that time of year, normally, so I'm doing it. Staying at a Wyndham Hotel for about $200 using the loyalty program, and already pre-buying gas cards at a discount to help further my savings. I'm tuning into this thread more now that I will be there with several thousand of my closest friends for the festivities!

I just got approved for time off over NYE. This trip is a go!

Unfortunately, there aren't a ton of dining reservations left, so I'm piecing some together for NYE so I have something to do when the park gets SWAMPED as it does. Still unsure whether I will spend actual NYE in Disneyland, or try to catch the special WOC they do at DCA. What would you guys do?

ETA: I just got a dining ressie for River Belle Terrace Fantasmic! dining for NYE. I eat at 3PM. Which show will my FP be for? I'm hoping the earlier show.

Last edited:
I just got approved for time off over NYE. This trip is a go!

Unfortunately, there aren't a ton of dining reservations left, so I'm piecing some together for NYE so I have something to do when the park gets SWAMPED as it does. Still unsure whether I will spend actual NYE in Disneyland, or try to catch the special WOC they do at DCA. What would you guys do?

ETA: I just got a dining ressie for River Belle Terrace Fantasmic! dining for NYE. I eat at 3PM. Which show will my FP be for? I'm hoping the earlier show.

I'm trying to decide between spending NYE at DL or DCA too. So I am also interested in people's opinion. We are doing the Carnation Cafe at 5:00pm. Are there any special fireworks at DL or DCA for NYE?

I'm trying to decide between spending NYE at DL or DCA too. So I am also interested in people's opinion. We are doing the Carnation Cafe at 5:00pm. Are there any special fireworks at DL or DCA for NYE?

Still trying to figure out our plan of action. I think we're going to start the day at DL, then hop over to DCA for NYE. I've got a 6 year old and there's no way she can stay up for all the NYE festivities. I plan on making it an early-ish night so we can be up early the next morning.

DL will be having NYE fireworks. Originally we were going to do DCA but have switched and are doing DL. I couldn't find anything positive about special NYE fireworks at DCA this year although reports from previous years state that there were.

Question for those of you who have gone during previous holiday seasons as well as this year; How does this Christmas season, with the 60th going on, compare to years past? Have you enjoyed it just as much? I know the absence of the castle lights has been a biggie for some. This will be my first time going during the holiday season so I don't have any previous ideals to live up to, but I'm curious how it's been for others.

Question for those of you who have gone during previous holiday seasons as well as this year; How does this Christmas season, with the 60th going on, compare to years past? Have you enjoyed it just as much? I know the absence of the castle lights has been a biggie for some. This will be my first time going during the holiday season so I don't have any previous ideals to live up to, but I'm curious how it's been for others.

We got back a couple of days ago from our third holiday visit, and had a blast! The castle was very pretty but I do wish they had put up the icicle lights. I missed having the castle lighting ceremony and snow falling on Main Street. However any trip to DL is a great trip to us, so we don't let a lack of decorations bring us down! It helped that there were new things to discover, such as Season of the Force, or new-to-us, such as Jingle Cruise or Viva Navidad.

Arrived yesterday around 12:40 pm, managed to get FP for HyperSpace Mtn for return time of 10:45 -11:45 pm. Had lunch at the Plaza Inn. Checked out Launch Bay - met Darth Vader and Chewbaca with a 10 mins wait. Checked out all the SW merchandize. Grabbed a FP for Indy with return time of 9:25 - 10:25 pm. Lots of people, left park at 3 pm and back to hotel for a rest. Went to DCA at 6 pm, got FP for Soarin' with return time of 7:25 - 8:25 pm. Walked on to Little Mermaid. Screamin' was a 15 minutes wait, rode it twice. Dinner at Broadwalk Pizza. Used Soarin' FP @ 7:25 and headed to Carsland. Got on Maters 3 times with 10 minutes wait each time. Went back over to DL at 9:05 - crowds were waiting for fireworks. Main Street was packed but still room in Towne Square. Fought our way to Indy but it was down. So, we fought our way to Tomorrowland and saw some of the fireworks near the hub as we were walking by. Rode Star Tours with a 15 min wait and Autopia with a 5 min wait. Jumped on Buzz with a 5 min wait at 10:25 pm. Used our FP for Hyperspace Mountain - DD 19 and I loved it since we are SW fans but DD 14 wasn't impressed. LOL Headed back to Indy at 11:20 to use our FP and got on with 5 min wait. Stand by was around 20 mins. Popped into Fantasyland and rode teacups at 11:40 and then lined up for the Matterhorn at 11:50 pm and it was a 15 min wait. Left park at 12:15 am - we accomplished more than we hope to since we usually take things more leisurely but DD 19 is with us on this trip and she likes the rides. It will just get busier as the days go by so early starts or later nights with FPs will be our strategy. Today will be DCA but first, will let the girls sleep in a bit and then another full day. :-)

Are the Storybook Canal displays decorated for Christmas this year?
Yes!!! :) Love those little decorations!

Yay! I'm not sure I've even seen that, but I'll make sure we go on that ride during our trip next week!

Arrived yesterday around 12:40 pm, managed to get FP for HyperSpace Mtn for return time of 10:45 -11:45 pm. Had lunch at the Plaza Inn. Checked out Launch Bay - met Darth Vader and Chewbaca with a 10 mins wait. Checked out all the SW merchandize. Grabbed a FP for Indy with return time of 9:25 - 10:25 pm. Lots of people, left park at 3 pm and back to hotel for a rest. Went to DCA at 6 pm, got FP for Soarin' with return time of 7:25 - 8:25 pm. Walked on to Little Mermaid. Screamin' was a 15 minutes wait, rode it twice. Dinner at Broadwalk Pizza. Used Soarin' FP @ 7:25 and headed to Carsland. Got on Maters 3 times with 10 minutes wait each time. Went back over to DL at 9:05 - crowds were waiting for fireworks. Main Street was packed but still room in Towne Square. Fought our way to Indy but it was down. So, we fought our way to Tomorrowland and saw some of the fireworks near the hub as we were walking by. Rode Star Tours with a 15 min wait and Autopia with a 5 min wait. Jumped on Buzz with a 5 min wait at 10:25 pm. Used our FP for Hyperspace Mountain - DD 19 and I loved it since we are SW fans but DD 14 wasn't impressed. LOL Headed back to Indy at 11:20 to use our FP and got on with 5 min wait. Stand by was around 20 mins. Popped into Fantasyland and rode teacups at 11:40 and then lined up for the Matterhorn at 11:50 pm and it was a 15 min wait. Left park at 12:15 am - we accomplished more than we hope to since we usually take things more leisurely but DD 19 is with us on this trip and she likes the rides. It will just get busier as the days go by so early starts or later nights with FPs will be our strategy. Today will be DCA but first, will let the girls sleep in a bit and then another full day. :-)

Wow, that sounds like an awesome day with wait times that weren't bad at all! Thanks for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter