Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Massive El Nino is Now Too Big to Fail - http://ktla.com/2015/10/09/nasa-scientist-massive-el-nino-is-now-too-big-to-fail/. There's no turning back now, folks! It's coming!

I have looked at the first page a couple times and can see that the season starts on 11/13. The rest looks like last year info. Am I missing something?

This thread was started in December, after the previous season had begun. I updated the first post on page one when the dates for the new season (this year) were announced. Other than that -- I have to revise the Dates to Remember post on page 2, with the dates for this season (I have worked on it a bit behind the scenes, but I have to keep stopping because other things come up that take priority). To be honest, most people don't look at page 1 anyway (once the thread has gotten past a certain point), and I can tell that by the questions that are asked and the comments that are made. So, I usually end up putting in a whole lot of effort that many people ignore! :lmao: Of course, when I don't update something and wait a while to do it (whether by choice or by necessity), that's when someone looks at page 1 and wonders why this or that is not there. I can't win!

Beyond that, all of the subsequent posts on page 1 are waiting for new holiday blogs to come out with new holiday info -- there isn't much of anything so far. All of the details that we know have been discussed in this thread, and I even posted a 'what we know' rundown a while back. What is it/was it that you needed, specifically?

Just jump in and ask questions at any point, rather than worrying about repeating things that have already been asked. If the info has already been posted here, or if an answer has been given that is somewhere in the thread, we will link you to it.

Last edited:
This thread was started in December, after the previous season had begun. I updated the first post on page one when the dates for the new season (this year) were announced. Other than that -- I have to revise the Dates to Remember post on page 2, with the dates for this season (I have worked on it a bit behind the scenes, but I have to keep stopping because other things come up that take priority). To be honest, most people don't look at page 1 anyway (once the thread has gotten past a certain point), and I can tell that by the questions that are asked and the comments that are made. So, I usually end up putting in a whole lot of effort that many people ignore! :lmao: Of course, when I don't update something and wait a while to do it (whether by choice or by necessity), that's when someone looks at page 1 and wonders why this or that is not there. I can't win!

Beyond that, all of the subsequent posts on page 1 are waiting for new holiday blogs to come out with new holiday info -- there isn't much of anything so far. All of the details that we know have been discussed in this thread, and I even posted a 'what we know' rundown a while back. What is it/was it that you needed, specifically?

I guess I'm one of the few that looks at page 1. :-) Yes, a 'what we know' summary would be great. I think that is all I'm looking for. Can you point me to it? Thanks!

I guess I'm one of the few that looks at page 1. :-) Yes, a 'what we know' summary would be great. I think that is all I'm looking for. Can you point me to it? Thanks!

I'm glad you do check page 1! It's there to be looked at and used for reference and planning. It seems that most people overlook it or ignore it after the thread hits page 20 or something, and I end up spending time on it for nothing! Lol. Anyway, I updated the 'what we know' post (there will be additional dates and bits of info added to the Dates to Remember post on page 1, as we begin to find out more info):

Here is what we know for sure about the holiday season so far (in no specific order, but I am numbering them anyway):

1. The holiday season takes place from Friday, November 13, 2015 - Wednesday, January 6, 2016;

2. Returning this year are: A Christmas Fantasy Parade (daytime only); Jingle Cruise; World of Color - Winter Dreams; Viva Navidad; Olaf's Snow Fest; Buena Vista Street Bell Ringers/Community Choir; Olaf's Frozen Ice Rink and Winter Village in Downtown Disney;

3. The Candlelight Ceremony & Processional takes place on Saturday, December 5th and Sunday, December 6th, 2015 (2 performances each night);

4. The Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend takes place Thursday, November 12 - Sunday, November 15, 2015;

5. Haunted Mansion Holiday is back, (it started on Friday, September 11th), and there is a good chance (though unconfirmed) that it might stay open through Sunday, January 10th, 2016. The Hatbox Ghost is part of the holiday fun this year;

6. It's a Small World Holiday will be back, and will soft open on Friday, 11/6/2015. It should close somewhere around the 25th of January 2016;

7. The Diamond Anniversary entertainment -- Disneyland Forever fireworks, Paint the Night parade and World of Color - Celebrate -- will all continue on through the holiday season;

8. Santa Claus will continue to greet guests at Elias & Company in DCA, as well as in Critter Country in DL (the latter is a new location), as well as at the 3 hotels;

9. NOT returning this year are: Believe...In Holiday Magic Fireworks and the Jingle Jangle Jamboree;

10. Thanksgiving Dining reservations opened up last month;

11. Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen Holiday Gingerbread Workshops are taking place on Saturday, December 12th & 19th, and on Sunday, December 20th;

12. The Winter Castle will have an Enchantment lighting this year, but it is unlikely that the faux "snow" will be on the turrets, etc.;

13. NEW THIS YEAR: Season of the Force (Star Wars-themed event) begins on Monday, November 16th!; and

14. The Holiday Time tour is back this year, beginning on 11/13/15.

Things we don't know with 100% certainty, and/or are very likely:

---Decorations in most lands (with the exception of Tomorrowland) should be in place as usual, though they may be scaled back a bit on Main Street. There will probably be some rustic decorations for one final holiday season at the Big Thunder Ranch, but the actual Jingle Jangle Jamboree will be closed.

---The Storybook Land Canal Boat ride will probably get its teeny tiny decorations once again.

---The 3 hotels of the Disneyland Resort are almost certain to get their decorations -- including another gingerbread masterpiece for the GCH lobby -- which should begin going up about 9 or 10 days before Thanksgiving, and will be fully installed and in place by Thanksgiving.

---The ABC taping of the annual holiday special (which usually includes some footage of the Christmas Fantasy Parade) was reported by Inside the Magic as taking place this year on the weekend of December 11th - 13th. This has stirred up confusion as, ordinarily, the taping would take place on the first weekend in November, which would be November 6th -8th this year. No confirmation has come in on which set of dates is correct, or if something is, perhaps, being filmed on both sets of dates.

Possibilities, but not announced:

Will there be any special premium dining or hard ticket events added to the line-up of holiday fare this year?

:santa::santa::santa:

Last edited:

Does anyone know...is it common for them to be running Soundsational parade on the days they are supposedly filming the Christmas Parade? I just thought it was kind of strange. It is scheduled both Friday the 6th and Saturday the 7th at 430. I mean I suppose they could be done by then, but last time I was there during the parade taping they were taping all day long.

I was just curious. Maybe they aren't taping the parade after all?

Does anyone know...is it common for them to be running Soundsational parade on the days they are supposedly filming the Christmas Parade? I just thought it was kind of strange. It is scheduled both Friday the 6th and Saturday the 7th at 430. I mean I suppose they could be done by then, but last time I was there during the parade taping they were taping all day long.

I was just curious. Maybe they aren't taping the parade after all?

My guess is that some other non-parade footage will be filmed -- which is what they did last year. They did not film the Christmas parade in 2014. Also, the two main days of filming are those days you mentioned, but there are usually little 'snippets' of other footage filmed on a couple of the days leading up to the weekend -- just little clips, or talking segments, scenery, etc.

When the auditions were posted for ACFP, the description said that the performers needed to be available to start on 11/13, so that leads me to believe that they are not planning on ACFP being up and running on the weekend of 11/6 and 11/7.

I actually just looked on page 1 a couple days ago! :) The calendar only shows 1 WOC the first weekend in November and I wanted to see if that was normal for the past few years. If I remember correctly, it looks like they had 2 showings a night in 2014, 2013, and 2012 so I am hoping they add a second show.

My guess is that some other non-parade footage will be filmed -- which is what they did last year. They did not film the Christmas parade in 2014. Also, the two main days of filming are those days you mentioned, but there are usually little 'snippets' of other footage filmed on a couple of the days leading up to the weekend -- just little clips, or talking segments, scenery, etc.

When the auditions were posted for ACFP, the description said that the performers needed to be available to start on 11/13, so that leads me to believe that they are not planning on ACFP being up and running on the weekend of 11/6 and 11/7.

Thanks Sherry! I was kind of hoping they wouldn't be filming!

Remember, folks -- it's not just Cars Land theme week. It's also ToonTown and A Bug's Land week -- 3 themes in one! So those who have only been posting Cars Land photos, don't forget to share your Bug's Land and ToonTown photos as well, if you have them, now through Sunday night!

:santa::santa:

I need help visualizing where Candlelight Processional takes place. Is it as soon as you enter Disneyland and you turn around to face the train station to view it? Are people still able to come in and out of the park while it's taking place? For some reason I'm just having trouble figuring out exactly how it all works. We'll be there on Sunday, December 6, but not sure if we will try to get near that area or not. Thanks!

lvdis-I am curious about this too. From my research it is how you said, you come in and they are all set up on the other side of the train station right by the entrance (but facing main street). I have heard so much about how crazy it is, it seems super crazy that they funnel people past this event when it sounds like the whole area shuts down:confused3

You booked that F! package too right? I booked the 6:15 to get the first show but had wanted to at least hear the candlelight processional. Not sure if we can pull it off, but we happen to be there during it and it seems a shame not to check it out. Are you going with kids?

The whole area does not shut down. It's extra crowded during the time of the performances -- and also during the fireworks, and during the parades.

Candlelight is held in Town Square, right in front of the Train Station. So if you wanted to view it, for example, you would be facing the train station. There are seats (for VIPs, etc.) directly in front of the stage. Behind the seats and around the sides of Town Square there are standing areas where people can view Candlelight. There are a lot of people standing around.

While Candlelight is going on, people who wish to enter and exit Disneyland can still do so, but a lot of people try to exit at one time, which causes extra congestion in the whole area. All of the shops and everything are still open.

It was when the 20 nights of Candlelight took place in 2012 that the Main Street businesses took a hit, but for a 2-night event (2 performances each night), nothing is impacted too much. It's crowded for a while, but then Candlelight ends and the crowds go back to normal holiday crowds (which are already substantial).

Any time there is a special event -- like the Unleash the Villains event back in 2013 -- that largely takes place in Town Square, people will be funneled past it if they want to leave the park or enter the park.

Thank you Sherry for the summary. I looked at page 1 the other day myself to check for A Christmas Fantasy Parade info and just re-look at that list in general.

It is 101 now. I got some snowman pajama bottoms from a friend to wear as part of my Trunk or Treat costume in a couple weeks. Hope I don't melt. I got an email from Baskin and Robbins with a coupon for 2 scoop sundae for $2.99. This is relevant to this thread because I then ventured over to BR's website and saw something called "Candy Corn Ice Cream." Has anyone had that? It grabbed my attention for the name for sure but also because it said it is a mousse which I hope means a smooth flavor (I am not able to eat anything too chewy or crunchy). I thought of all of you with that and wanted to pass along. Also on Halloween because it is the 31st, BR's offer scoops for $1.31. Sometimes they take down the banner advertising this so keep an eye out for it.

Keep cool everyone!

Last edited:
It seems that most people overlook it or ignore it after the thread hits page 20 or something, and I end up spending time on it for nothing!

I haven't looked at page 1 for several weeks (or longer), but if you post that you've made any changes, I would definitely go check it out! It's very informative and well put together. Thank you, Sherry, for all your hard work you put into this thread!

I totally forgot about Season of the Force starting on 11/16, so I went back to add it to the "What We Know" post that I updated here earlier today! Season of the Force hasn't even begun yet and I forgot about it already! :lmao:

Thank you Sherry for the summary. I looked at page 1 the other day myself to check for A Christmas Fantasy Parade info and just re-look at that list in general.

It is 101 now. I got some snowman pajama bottoms from a friend to wear as part of my Trunk or Treat costume in a couple weeks. Hope I don't melt. I got an email from Baskin and Robbins with a coupon for 2 scoop sundae for $2.99. This is relevant to this thread because I then ventured over to BR's website and saw something called "Candy Corn Ice Cream." Has anyone had that? It grabbed my attention for the name for sure but also because it said it is a mousse which I hope means a smooth flavor (I am not able to eat anything too chewy or crunchy). I thought of all of you with that and wanted to pass along. Also on Halloween because it is the 31st, BR's offer scoops for $1.31. Sometimes they take down the banner advertising this so keep an eye out for it.

Keep cool everyone!

I haven't had the Candy Corn ice cream. In fact, there used to be a Baskin Robbins around here and they left.

It is hot, hot, hot again. :mad: Last week was the blissful day of 67 degrees (in my area), and since then the temperatures have continued to climb. I can't get into a proper 'Fall mode' because it won't cool down long enough for me to begin craving things like cocoa and gingerbread. I am still guzzling water and lemonade!

I need to go inspect the ice cream section at the store and see if I can get a carton of Peppermint Wonderland. It's time to open the peppermint floodgates once again.

My hours begin showing up on the calendar tomorrow! I'm so excited! I know they aren't showing the holiday events yet, but knowing I can start watching for parades and other events for the days of my trip makes me happy. :cloud9:

I've found out that two other neighborhood families and at least one work colleague and his family are all going to Disneyland in that same time frame. It's starting to feel like Northern California is visiting en masse that week! It's going to be crowded! But my family is great about getting up early for our Disney vacations and we will make the most of morning hours, fastpasses, afternoon breaks, and dining reservations.

When was it 67 last week, Sherry? Not that it matters now as it sure is not 67 today. Baskin Robbins there aren't so many, mostly in the Valley and spread out. There is one B&R near me (sort of) but I prefer (when I am out there) one in the Valley. I hope you do find and enjoy some Peppermint Ice Cream. Way too hot for cocoa and baking too (I have some cake mixes in my cabinet). I will share when I try candy corn.

3TinksAndAnEeyore, that is exciting and lol funny your neighborhood is coming to Disneyland. Hope all of you have a fantastic time :)

Seeing as how we will be heading to the DLR from 12/27-1/1, and it will be our first time there during that crazy week, I had some questions related to capacity closures.

1. I know DL will probably hit capacity at some point each day we are there. What time do we need to get into the park to pretty much assure we aren't shut out? What time would we need to be in on NYE, 10 am?

2. I know you aren't allowed in when it is at capacity even if you have dining reservations. What if you have a tour?

3. Does DCA ever reach capacity? Or are we pretty much safe to be able to hit that park whenever?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

We got back from WDW on Tuesday so I missed last week's theme.......here are a few of my pics for this week's!

Carsland:

Toon Town

Bugs Land:

It is hot, hot, hot again. :mad: Last week was the blissful day of 67 degrees (in my area), and since then the temperatures have continued to climb. I can't get into a proper 'Fall mode' because it won't cool down long enough for me to begin craving things like cocoa and gingerbread. I am still guzzling water and lemonade!

I need to go inspect the ice cream section at the store and see if I can get a carton of Peppermint Wonderland. It's time to open the peppermint floodgates once again.

Today I woke up to misting rain and dense fog..and yet by Tuesday it's slated to be 90 again..just..whaaaat ? I admit I broke out my moto jacket , tights and boots today because the weather permitted LOL..I love fall and winter the most.

I've been counting every day and nearly hour to Thanksgiving and then the December trip. I've been fighting with medical issues going on two years and the end is near..but not as I had expected or hoped. I was too optimistic long term it seems and reality is setting in...hard. It's humbling for sure.

I appreciate all the photos they keep me going !

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter