Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bummer, because I would have the 11th, to see the Carnival, and the Pumpkin sculptures.
I guess the goats get a nice long vacay!

--Lori

The goats are in the area that used to be the Halloween Round-Up and the Reindeer Round-Up -- which seems like it's part of the Halloween Carnival and JJJ, respectively, but it's not really part of it. So the goats may be there, and there could be decorations in the cabin/Scare-Dy-Crow Shack for Halloween Time. I have to think that if Santa is going to be in the cabin for the holidays, there will be decorations inside the cabin as well - which means that it may have its usual Halloween décor too. But the actual Festival location is where the Carnival and JJJ take place, and that is what is sounding like it could be on the chopping block this year.

We are going December 7-11 and staying at PPH! I just yesterday took the plunge and changed our reservations from off site to on site. I just couldn't stop obsessing about staying onsite....I can't wait.

Did you book a park view room? This will be my second time staying here. I LOVE the park views! I never close the room curtains so I can just sit there and stare at it like Im in a dream!

PPH is my go-to onsite hotel for that same time frame in December. I have stayed at the GCH during the holidays before, and many, many years ago (before the remodel) I stayed at the DLH during the holidays for a few years. But in recent years, it's been PPH!

I've never stayed at GCH. I really don't have a desire too. I love going in the lobby and sitting by the fire place, but Im all about the views, and I just think the views from PPH cant be beat! I do hope they make it a little more Disney-like someday. I hope I'll be able to get one of the candy canes, I've never had one!
GAAAAAAAAAAAAA IM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!

Did you book a park view room? This will be my second time staying here. I LOVE the park views! I never close the room curtains so I can just sit there and stare at it like Im in a dream!

No, I booked a standard for now. My hope is that sometime before our trip a special comes out and I can call and change my reservation. At this point tho, we will be soooooo happy to stay there, even if it's only a standard room. Just staying on site is a dream. I obsess over it everyday lol. I think I might start a PTR, although I've never done one so don't know where to start lol. And what do you mean by you hope you get a candy cane this year?

No, I booked a standard for now. My hope is that sometime before our trip a special comes out and I can call and change my reservation. At this point tho, we will be soooooo happy to stay there, even if it's only a standard room. Just staying on site is a dream. I obsess over it everyday lol. I think I might start a PTR, although I've never done one so don't know where to start lol. And what do you mean by you hope you get a candy cane this year?[/QUOTE

If it's your first time staying on property you're going to love it and quite possibly get very spoiled. What's PTR? What I mean by get a candy cane is during Christmas time they make candy canes from scratch on property. You can get them fresh made that day and apparently they're the best thing on earth so I can't wait to try them!

I've never stayed at GCH. I really don't have a desire too. I love going in the lobby and sitting by the fire place, but Im all about the views, and I just think the views from PPH cant be beat! I do hope they make it a little more Disney-like someday. I hope I'll be able to get one of the candy canes, I've never had one!
GAAAAAAAAAAAAA IM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!

The problem I had with the GCH rooms (other than the cost) is that, for my liking, they are too cramped and dark. There is very little floor space to set anything down. That said, one time I stayed there and had a great view of Downtown Disney and of the fireworks in Disneyland, and the other time I stayed there the view was not that great but the room location was great, and it was so fast to get to and from the parks. It was fun to be able to watch and hear the carolers from the upper floors, as well as the pianist. It does have a nice feel and vibe during the holiday season -- and I love that they have added in the gingerbread house in the lobby, as well as the reindeer out in front of the hotel's driveway.

But, as I mentioned to JenEMT -- the PPH has been my go-to hotel for years now, and I love it. You're right -- the view of DCA is amazing, and it really enhances my overall experience (although I have certainly stayed in rooms without great views and still had a good time). I, too, leave the curtains open, and the first thing I do when I wake up is run to the window to look out at DCA. The first thing I do when I come back to the room for a break is run to the window and look out at DCA! It is addictive!

All in all, though, whenever I am onsite -- whatever kind of view I have -- I am just happy to be onsite, as I feel like I am staying in the magic! Love those EMH's too!

No, I booked a standard for now. My hope is that sometime before our trip a special comes out and I can call and change my reservation. At this point tho, we will be soooooo happy to stay there, even if it's only a standard room. Just staying on site is a dream. I obsess over it everyday lol. I think I might start a PTR, although I've never done one so don't know where to start lol. And what do you mean by you hope you get a candy cane this year?

The candy canes are famously popular for holiday visitors, and highly sought after. They are huge, and they're freshly made. The candy artists make the canes for a captive audience each year, and lines form to claim them. For years, the only place to get the candy canes was at the Candy Palace in Disneyland. Fortunately, because of the high demand, a couple of years ago they began making the canes at Trolley Treats in California Adventure as well as at Candy Palace.

For more info on how the whole candy cane set-up works, and how to get them, look under the Candy Cane Info section of this Holiday Dining/Food post, and click on some of the links - http://www.disboards.com/threads/di...iting-details-for-2015.3358217/#post-52730328. You'll get a good sense of what to expect and whether or not you want to jump into the Candy Cane Madness. (Note that the dates are from last year, as this year's candy cane dates will not be released for a while.)

That's all it is at the moment, but the fact remains that the Halloween Carnival is almost definitely on the chopping block this year (that has come from a few different sources, and it seems all but guaranteed), and Santa Claus being back in his log cabin this year implies that JJJ won't be back either. Now that whole festival area would not interfere with the 60th anniversary happenings... so I am inclined to think there are other plans for it.

IIRC, that area isn't covered all that great. Yeah, there are some shades/canopy, but I wouldn't want to be there if it was raining decently-hard. Is this something Disney has in mind? Could these forecasts of a strong El Nino have Disney saying "Scrap HC/JJJ, just in case"? The moving of Santa into a Cabin kind of supports this theory, too.

It could be entirely wrong, but it popped into my head. They've been dealing with a TON of rainy days these past few weeks and the new nighttime entertainment has been cancelled several times as well. It's just less to "worry" about if the weather gets kind of crummy. Yeah, it's a lazy answer, but who knows, right?

----------

On another note, I am in the process of booking a SOLO trip from December 30 - January 2 (Dates may change a little, but I'll be there for NYE). I have my PAP, so why not, right? It's been on my bucket list, and I won't pay to go that time of year, normally, so I'm doing it. Staying at a Wyndham Hotel for about $200 using the loyalty program, and already pre-buying gas cards at a discount to help further my savings. I'm tuning into this thread more now that I will be there with several thousand of my closest friends for the festivities!

Last edited:
IIRC, that area isn't covered all that great. Yeah, there are some shades/canopy, but I wouldn't want to be there if it was raining decently-hard. Is this something Disney has in mind? Could these forecasts of a strong El Nino have Disney saying "Scrap HC/JJJ, just in case"? The moving of Santa into a Cabin kind of supports this theory, too.

It could be entirely wrong, but it popped into my head. They've been dealing with a TON of rainy days these past few weeks and the new nighttime entertainment has been cancelled several times as well. It's just less to "worry" about if the weather gets kind of crummy. Yeah, it's a lazy answer, but who knows, right?

----------

On another note, I am in the process of booking a SOLO trip from December 30 - January 2 (Dates may change a little, but I'll be there for NYE). I have my PAP, so why not, right? It's been on my bucket list, and I won't pay to go that time of year, normally, so I'm doing it. Staying at the Ramada Maingate North for about $200 using the loyalty program, and already pre-buying gas cards at a discount to help further my savings. I'm tuning into this thread more now that I will be there with several thousand of my closest friends for the festivities!

I will admit that I thought about the possibility that the lack of a Jingle Jangle Jamboree this year could be weather-related (if Disney is afraid of El Nino-related rain, which is supposed to be massive if it happens), but then I started second guessing it. The Halloween Carnival is not happening, and it would normally start in September. If they're going to have 17 nights of outdoor Mickey's Halloween Party fun in late September and all of October, why would they not have the Carnival because of rain? Being at the outdoor Halloween Carnival or Jingle Jangle Jamboree would be no different than walking around the park(s) in the rain, at a party. Also, they could have moved the pumpkin carvers somewhere else. They could have moved Pirates League somewhere else. Instead, those Carnival elements are not happening.

So I don't think weather is the sole reason for that specific area of Frontierland not being used this year -- IF it is part of the reason at all. I think that Disney either just doesn't want to have anything in the Festival area this year because they somehow think it will detract from the 60th anniversary goings on, or they need that space for some other purpose (storage, rehearsals, etc.), which could be something that we don't see or hear about.

Have you done a solo trip before, or this your first time flying solo? I love solo trips to DLR -- though there is nothing like being with good friends and laughing hysterically about silly things, there is also something incredibly liberating about being there solo. I have not been to DL for New Year's Eve in about 15 years -- it was a madhouse back then, with shoulder to shoulder crowds. I would have to imagine it's a bit better now because there is another park for people to go to, as well as hotels and DTD, so not everything is concentrated in one park. You must be sure to report back here and let us know what the crowds were like, and anything else noteworthy from your NYE experience! I will be anxious to know! :hyper:

I was wondering where people thought they might dine Christmas Eve and Christmas Day? I thought downtown Disney might be nice Christmas Eve and maybe one of the restaurants at GCH for Christmas Day? What do you think?

I was wondering where people thought they might dine Christmas Eve and Christmas Day? I thought downtown Disney might be nice Christmas Eve and maybe one of the restaurants at GCH for Christmas Day? What do you think?

Id go to Catal in DTD. The view from their upper level dining is stunning. It's quiet and REALLY NICE. Unless you want to splurge and go Napa Rose, that would be really nice too.

It's so strange -- and such a mystery to me -- that, every year, it is difficult to get a complete, comprehensive list of Christmas Eve & Day foods from Disney. The Disney Parks Blog puts out detailed Thanksgiving blogs, listing off all of the restaurants that have special meals over Thanksgiving weekend, but they have never put out a detailed blog about Christmas Eve/Day foods at DLR. I find that very odd!

So, based on what I have found as far as a list (http://www.themouseforless.com/disn...-restaurant-menus/disneyland-christmas-menus/, which is from 2013), I think I would either go the full buffet route at Goofy's Kitchen, or maybe eat at Storytellers Cafe (which has a smaller buffet as well menu options) at the Grand Californian Hotel. Storytellers has a nice, cozy atmosphere and a wonderful, tabletop gingerbread house near the entrance.

Then again, I am curious to see if the PCH Grill keeps the "Beach Side Bonfire" theme going through the end of the year, or if it is just exclusive to summer. If the keep the BSB theme, that could have some interesting Christmas potential at the buffet.

If you are into fine dining, I think that Napa Rose or Steakhouse 55 would be great choices. People rave about Napa Rose, and apparently they have some wonderful hot chocolate (but you can also get that at the Napa Rose Lounge, if you don't want to make a reservation for Napa Rose).

At the same time Mickeyflower makes a good point -- Catal would probably be a great choice. Or, try something different and unique and go to Jazz Kitchen.

In Disneyland I'd probably go to Carnation Cafe.

Id go to Catal in DTD. The view from their upper level dining is stunning. It's quiet and REALLY NICE. Unless you want to splurge and go Napa Rose, that would be really nice too.
Thanks I'll have a look at those

It's so strange -- and such a mystery to me -- that, every year, it is difficult to get a complete, comprehensive list of Christmas Eve & Day foods from Disney. The Disney Parks Blog puts out detailed Thanksgiving blogs, listing off all of the restaurants that have special meals over Thanksgiving weekend, but they have never put out a detailed blog about Christmas Eve/Day foods at DLR. I find that very odd!

So, based on what I have found as far as a list (http://www.themouseforless.com/disn...-restaurant-menus/disneyland-christmas-menus/, which is from 2013), I think I would either go the full buffet route at Goofy's Kitchen, or maybe eat at Storytellers Cafe (which has a smaller buffet as well menu options) at the Grand Californian Hotel. Storytellers has a nice, cozy atmosphere and a wonderful, tabletop gingerbread house near the entrance.

Then again, I am curious to see if the PCH Grill keeps the "Beach Side Bonfire" theme going through the end of the year, or if it is just exclusive to summer. If the keep the BSB theme, that could have some interesting Christmas potential at the buffet.

If you are into fine dining, I think that Napa Rose or Steakhouse 55 would be great choices. People rave about Napa Rose, and apparently they have some wonderful hot chocolate (but you can also get that at the Napa Rose Lounge, if you don't want to make a reservation for Napa Rose).

At the same time Mickeyflower makes a good point -- Catal would probably be a great choice. Or, try something different and unique and go to Jazz Kitchen.

In Disneyland I'd probably go to Carnation Cafe.
Thanks so much. It's so helpful. I know we have loads of time but it's so much fun doing the planning! Do you think making reservations at the 60 day point is worth doing? Also do you need to do that for downtown Disney restaurants!

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Monday, everyone! I have two things to mention:

1. The Candlelight Ceremony and Processional dates are still not showing up on the website where I would normally find them. It is now August 3rd, and the dates are not up. They should have been up 2 weeks ago. There is a lot of practice, rehearsal and coordination of the participants that has to go into Candlelight. The choirs perform many songs during the Ceremony, and all of that has to be perfected by the first weekend in December. It is possible that the choir directors know what is happening this year, but it might not be posted on a publicly accessible website. Whatever the case, assuming that Candlelight is taking place on 12/5 and 12/6, the info should be up by now; and

2. I know that many of you have been wondering about the status of this year's Theme Week Countdown, which always starts in summer and lasts all the way up to November! I am happy to tell you that this year's Countdown -- which will be the 5th Annual Theme Week Countdown -- will begin one week from today, on Monday, August 10th!!! :banana::banana::banana:

I am still in the process of figuring out how to assemble the themes and whether or not to do the rapid fire Daily Mini-Themes in the last week of the Countdown, but I should have all of that figured out by the end of this week. There won't be any brand new themes. We will be covering the same territory that we have covered in previous years, but I am going to bundle some of the themes together -- sometimes the pairings may not make sense, and sometimes they will make perfect sense. I mainly wanted to cut the length of the Countdown down by a few weeks, as well as try to eliminate singular themes for which people don't have a lot of photos to contribute.

Also, this year is tricky because some of the things that are going to be shown in photos during the assorted Theme Weeks are things that will probably not be happening during the Holiday Season of 2015, and I fear that newcomers to the thread may get confused and think that those things are returning. So, some of those photos may have to end up being posted during our general Holiday Cornucopia that ends the Countdown on November 2nd instead of being the 'stars' of the previous Theme Weeks.

I am not going to do the Code Word Challenge this year, but the people who have never been to DLR for the holiday season will still be able to participate in the Countdown when we get to the Holiday Cornucopia theme at the end, and will still have a chance to win a Disney gift card.

I will still be giving away Disney gift cards -- probably 3 again, as I did last year, but I will know for sure by the time we get going next week.

So, everyone who has participated in previous Countdowns, and everyone who will be participating for the first time this year, get your photos ready! And everyone who is going to be enjoying Disneyland Resort during the holidays for the very first time this year or next year, you will be treated to a lot of great photos of all facets of DLR's holiday festivities, from food to hotels, to merchandise, to character photos, to themed decorations in different lands, etc. You will learn a lot about what not to miss during your trips.

While the Countdown is underway, we will still be discussing any and all breaking holiday season news, rumors, speculation, etc., and we will still be answering questions and helping people plan their trips. Mainly, the Theme Week Countdowns provide a way to kill some time until anything newsworthy trickles in, up until about a week or so before the holiday season should begin, roughly.

:santa::santa::santa:

Thanks so much. It's so helpful. I know we have loads of time but it's so much fun doing the planning! Do you think making reservations at the 60 day point is worth doing? Also do you need to do that for downtown Disney restaurants!

You're very welcome!

I think that, for a Christmas Eve or Christmas Day meal, I would try to reserve it as soon as you can within that 60-day window, only because I assume that lots of people will have the same idea for those dates. It wouldn't have to be right at the 60-day point, but soon after, if you can manage it. This year is kind of a wild card, with so much focus on the 60th anniversary. I have to imagine that more people will be heading to Disneyland for the rest of the year, specifically to enjoy the 60th offerings as well as the Holiday season offerings (and any new surprises that may pop up)!

It wouldn't hurt to make reservations for DTD restaurants as well, especially for Christmas Eve or Christmas Day meals.

Happy Birthday Jamie!!

Sherry! I will be here with BELLS on....... Jingle Bells!

Thank You!!

--Lori

Last edited by a moderator:
So excited. I am even starting to wonder if I should take my laptop on vacation as I will be away for nearly three weeks in September and I have yet to figure out how to post photos from my iPad.

Corinna

Yess!! cant wait this gets me going.
Now i have a week to find all my last year new pics I took I had them ready before i tried to transfer to new computer, then took that computer back, factory restored my old one and updated to win 10 lol now I need to re downlaod all my pics and separate in to folders again.... well I have a week lol

Have you done a solo trip before, or this your first time flying solo? --- You must be sure to report back here and let us know what the crowds were like, and anything else noteworthy from your NYE experience! I will be anxious to know! :hyper:

I've never done an entire trip solo before, so that will be new. However, on family our trips, I'm usually in the parks by myself for at least an evening since I'm the only one in my family with a Premium Pass. I love it. As you said, it's different, but I enjoy it. I'm the type that will go to sporting events and concerts by myself, so it isn't that insane to me. And, I like to spend time riding different things, and spending time trying to foods/restaurants, while my family doesn't. I'll probably meet up with people I follow in Twitter, so I won't be alone the entire time.

I'm excited, and will be sure to report back here in five months!

1. Still no Candlelight dates in the place where they should be! Very odd. I'm not sure what's going on with that.

2. I did read a rumor on MiceChat that A Christmas Fantasy Parade would run once per day on weekdays during the holidays, and twice per day on weekend days. Supposedly Paint the Night is going to run once per night as well, although I think that twice per night would make more sense in the last 2 busy weeks of December.

3. From the comments I have read on Facebook and here in this thread, it appears that we will have quite a few people participating in this year's Theme Week Countdown (which begins on Monday, in case you missed yesterday's announcement)! :banana::banana:

:santa::santa::santa:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter