• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the great rundown Sherry!

We are fairly locked in with our dates as we have our flights to Australia booked, so Candlelight Weekend it is. Hopefully we can secure one of the Fantasmic dining packages for that Sunday and we'll keep to the interior of the park and give Main Street a wide berth.

I never realized how much different of an animal vacation planning is between the DLR and WDW. We are taking the boy to WDW to celebrate his double digit birthday in 2016, so having two irons in the planning fires is interesting.

OK- Thank You Sherry! Have a Wonderful Birthday trip to Catalina!!
We will be here, do not worry!

--Lori:worship::love::worship:

Sometimes our December weather in Southern California is hot -- like 80 or 90 degrees! You never know what you will get with December. It just so happens that this coming winter rain is probably going to be an issue. You never know -- it might not start until after your trip. It won't necessarily happen in December, or by a certain point in December. Or, it may not become heavy and relentless until January or February. As you said, that's the only time you can go, and you will have a great time! :banana:
When does the El Nino tend to start? Or when is it forecasted to start?

Thank you, Sherry, for all of your info and input! I hope you have a wonderful birthday! :bday::cake:pixiedust:

the problem with El Nino this year, is that there is a major tropical ocean, The Blob, out in the middle of the very cold Pacific ocean, and when that drops south, that is when the trouble begins. And if it does not drop, then all the weather that heads to the PNW, stalls over california. Here in the PNW Nov 1st is usually the prolonged rain weeks.

the problem with El Nino this year, is that there is a major tropical ocean, The Blob, out in the middle of the very cold Pacific ocean, and when that drops south, that is when the trouble begins. And if it does not drop, then all the weather that heads to the PNW, stalls over california. Here in the PNW Nov 1st is usually the prolonged rain weeks.
We are in the PNW too. :-) Do you know when it tends to start in So Cal? Just curious . . . we are going the week before Thanksgiving week rain or no rain! :cool1: Hopefully we will get some decent weather at least. When we went the same week in 2005, it was bloody hot (by PNW standards ;)) --upper 80's to low 90's, with the Christmas music playing and the "snowfall.' Surreal . . . by PNW standards again! I don't need it that warm by any means. Heck, I'm happy with upper 60's. We shall see, but I'm not changing my plans over it. I won't mind if other people cancel their plans, though. :rotfl:

I, too, am in the PNW! Roasting in this unnatural 90+ degree weather too.

I'm locked into the first weekend in December, rain or shine. Hopefully more shine than rain, I went the same time last December and got soaked.

I'm locked into the first weekend in December, rain or shine. Hopefully more shine than rain, I went the same time last December and got soaked.
Yes, this is a little too hot lately for us wimps up here!!!o_O UG, getting soaked would not be so much fun. But it's still Disney, right! Just a little 'damp'er on the fun, ha ha

Lot of us PNWers it seems!
I am also 100% over this ridiculous weather!
I am going the first week of December as well, hoping for clear enough weather that parades and fireworks and Fantasmic can run.

Thanks for the great rundown Sherry!

We are fairly locked in with our dates as we have our flights to Australia booked, so Candlelight Weekend it is. Hopefully we can secure one of the Fantasmic dining packages for that Sunday and we'll keep to the interior of the park and give Main Street a wide berth.

I never realized how much different of an animal vacation planning is between the DLR and WDW. We are taking the boy to WDW to celebrate his double digit birthday in 2016, so having two irons in the planning fires is interesting.

You're very welcome! Disneyland during the holiday season is a subject I love dearly, so if I can parlay that love into helping other people learn about the seasonal offerings and plan trips, that's even better!

It must seem very different when you are simultaneously planning DLR and WDW trips, seeing how WDW allows for much more advanced planning than DLR does!

I think you have the right idea about Candlelight weekend, steering clear of Main Street and Town Square on Candlelight nights (until the second Candlelight performance is over). There are a lot of people who know about it and come to see it, but there are also a lot of people who don't know about it due to the lack of promotion. The lack of promotion helps to keep the crowds at a more reasonable level than they would be if it were actually advertised. I think it was a blessing and a curse in 2012, when 20 nights of Candlelight ran in Disneyland. It was a blessing for those of us who finally got to enjoy Candlelight for the first time ever, but it was a curse because Main Street shops lost some business due to crowds escaping the crowds, and also because the extended run of Candlelight drew extra attention to it. In 2013 and 2014, when Candlelight went back to 2 nights and was not advertised, people inevitably began asking when it would be announced and who the narrators would be. More people showed up to see it than if there had never been 20 nights of it in 2012. I truly think that Disney had originally planned to introduce Candlelight to the crowds in 2012 and then throw it into a hard ticket Christmas party in 2013. They didn't realize that the 20 nights of it would backfire on them and that Main Street would lose some business. So, whatever their original plans were ended up getting shelved. At this rate, I don't know if Candlelight will ever be extended and offered on more nights again, but the people who have been going to DLR to see it since it began (back in the 1950s) will continue to see it every year, as will Club 33 members and VIPs.

OK- Thank You Sherry! Have a Wonderful Birthday trip to Catalina!!
We will be here, do not worry!

--Lori:worship::love::worship:

Thanks, Lori! :goodvibes:

I am actually in the process of trying to make my final, final, final decision about whether or not I am going to Catalina on Tuesday. I go through this every year. Because my birthday, unfortunately, falls smack dab in the middle of summer -- and I detest hot weather -- I always have to keep a sharp eye on the weather forecasts in the 2 weeks leading up to my birthday, as well as see how I am personally reacting to the heat thus far. The heat, humidity and harsh sun have not been doing me any favors over the last month, and that's when I only had to be out in it for a few hours. Catalina would be an all day affair, and the sea breeze doesn't start to kick in until the late afternoon -- but the sun is already harsh and strong early in the morning.

The other problem is that there are very few places to cool down or get in the shade in Avalon. It's not like at DLR, where you can just pop into the Animation Building, or pop into the GCH lobby, and rest in a cool environment. So I am basically out in the heat all day, and then I end up sick the next day or two. Last year on my birthday it was supposedly only in the very low 70s in Avalon, but it felt much hotter -- and I came back with one of the worst sunburns I've ever had, despite the repeated applications of sunscreen. And then I was ill the next day.

This year it's supposed to be hotter than last year, which I know is a recipe for discomfort for me! That's why I have to always second guess and ponder whether or not to go, which is making my brain hurt! It's hard to pass up a free boat ride that is almost a $75 value. But, if I don't go -- if I decide I just can't deal with the all-day heat and sun this year -- I will probably be at the Farmers Market/The Grove, getting my free Sprinkles cupcake, my free Jamba Juice smoothie and my free Starbucks pastry!! Gotta love birthday freebies!!:woohoo:

When does the El Nino tend to start? Or when is it forecasted to start?

Thank you, Sherry, for all of your info and input! I hope you have a wonderful birthday! :bday::cake:pixiedust:

You're welcome, and thank you!

Well, the tricky thing about El Nino is that, in and of itself, it is not going to start at a specific time. El Nino is not the rain itself, but, rather, it is a series of weather/climate 'conditions' that facilitate all sorts of weather events. El Nino can also be responsible for fluke heat waves at odd times of the year, or unseasonably mild weather at a time when it should be hot. The mild temperatures we had in May here in SoCal were El Nino-related. The humidity we have been having is El Nino-related. So, really, El Nino has already started, but it takes on different 'faces' (and phases), I suppose, as we head into Fall and Winter, and facilitates conditions that lend themselves to a lot of rainfall.

So, that said, in my experience and observation, El Nino-related rain can sometimes begin in the Fall, and then get bad in the Winter. Or it may not really begin until Winter. When it first starts, it doesn't seem bad. It may be a big storm, but it's no big deal. The problems then arise when the rain doesn't stop, or the big storms keep coming, or the storms keep getting bigger and bigger over the seasons, and the rain becomes torrential. The storm drains can't handle it, and the pavement can only absorb so much water.

In years past, I vividly remember being at DLR on Thanksgiving weekend (Fall) in one El Nino year and the rain was very heavy and messy. Earlier that same year, in January or February (Winter), it was an absolute disaster. I remember back in 2004, in December (Winter), we were having some bad El Nino rain. And in February and March of 1993, I think it was, I was leaping across flooded streets caused by El Nino-related rain. So, really, it could begin in November, December or January. And it could still be pouring rain into March. It depends on if the El Nino conditions forming end up weakening, strengthening or stalling, or moving in a different direction.

We are in the PNW too. :-) Do you know when it tends to start in So Cal? Just curious . . . we are going the week before Thanksgiving week rain or no rain! :cool1: Hopefully we will get some decent weather at least. When we went the same week in 2005, it was bloody hot (by PNW standards ;)) --upper 80's to low 90's, with the Christmas music playing and the "snowfall.' Surreal . . . by PNW standards again! I don't need it that warm by any means. Heck, I'm happy with upper 60's. We shall see, but I'm not changing my plans over it. I won't mind if other people cancel their plans, though. :rotfl:

Believe me, even though I don't live in the PNW, 80s and 90s at any time of year is bloody hot to me too, and it really throws off the whole holiday feeling in Nov-Dec! I am happy with the 60s too!

I find 90 degrees unnatural even in SoCal, where it's not abnormal! It's just too hot and uncomfortable.

Lot of us PNWers it seems!
I am also 100% over this ridiculous weather!
I am going the first week of December as well, hoping for clear enough weather that parades and fireworks and Fantasmic can run.

I hope so too! The rain might drive crowds away from DLR, but it will also affect anything that happens outdoors as well, if it keeps raining non-stop.

I hope you have a great birthday Sherry! :bday:party:

Thank you, Janet! I just have to make my decision once and for all about whether I can tolerate roasting in the sun again on Tuesday. I love Avalon/Catalina, but I just cannot deal with the heat.

Thank you, Janet! I just have to make my decision once and for all about whether I can tolerate roasting in the sun again on Tuesday. I love Avalon/Catalina, but I just cannot deal with the heat.

Here's hoping a surprise cool front appears as a birthday gift from the weather gods. :) pixiedust:

Sherry I'm back! Hubby made the mistake of talking about DL and now I find myself in the throws of planning another trip the week before Thanksgiving! I think I'm loving this new version of the boards. It is definitely more user friendly on mobile than last year!

Anyway this year the baby will be 16 1/2 months (and daughter 4years) and with the car seat fiasco last year with DKLivery we are planning on driving this time. But then of course I read all the chatter here about El Nino and now I'm wondering if that is a good idea since we week have ty drive over the grapevine. At least the car has new tires and is 4WD.

Anyway the even more exciting news is we are taking about getting AP'S (for the very first time) this time. We may do that and then next fall move up our family vacation to early October. The game plan would be to get AP'S every other year and stagger our visits, but we'll see.

Anyway I'm super excited and can't wait to get into the throws of planning and figuring out what has changed since last year. I am admittedly bummed that we'll miss the 60th anniversary parade and fireworks though. I may have to try and convince hubby to take a trip sans kids in the spring if the festivities resume after the holidays.

I find 90 degrees unnatural even in SoCal, where it's not abnormal! It's just too hot and uncomfortable.
The big difference is that in Western WA, most people don't have a/c in their homes. I assume in SoCal, most people do? We are spoiled, however, and put in a/c quite a few years ago. There are some summers where we never need it at all, but this summer it has been working overtime!

Here's hoping a surprise cool front appears as a birthday gift from the weather gods. :) pixiedust:

No kidding! Now is when I need an "arctic blast"!

Sherry I'm back! Hubby made the mistake of talking about DL and now I find myself in the throws of planning another trip the week before Thanksgiving! I think I'm loving this new version of the boards. It is definitely more user friendly on mobile than last year!

Anyway this year the baby will be 16 1/2 months (and daughter 4years) and with the car seat fiasco last year with DKLivery we are planning on driving this time. But then of course I read all the chatter here about El Nino and now I'm wondering if that is a good idea since we week have ty drive over the grapevine. At least the car has new tires and is 4WD.

Anyway the even more exciting news is we are taking about getting AP'S (for the very first time) this time. We may do that and then next fall move up our family vacation to early October. The game plan would be to get AP'S every other year and stagger our visits, but we'll see.

Anyway I'm super excited and can't wait to get into the throws of planning and figuring out what has changed since last year. I am admittedly bummed that we'll miss the 60th anniversary parade and fireworks though. I may have to try and convince hubby to take a trip sans kids in the spring if the festivities resume after the holidays.

Welcome back, egritz! :wave: This will be your 3rd holiday season trip! So if you do get the APs, you will have the option of doing another holiday season trip next year, or going in October.

If you're going the week before Thanksgiving, it probably won't be full El Nino rainy season yet. I think you'll probably be okay.

And, the really good news is that I am almost positive you will see the 60th anniversary parade and fireworks! Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks are not going to run at all (they didn't run during the year of the 50th anniversary, and it is looking like they won't be presented this year either). I think that Disneyland Forever fireworks will take place every night during the holiday season (weather permitting). While A Christmas Fantasy Parade is going to run in some capacity (that's a fact, as Disney is holding auditions for the parade), it could be a daytime only thing, or they could suddenly throw in a surprise Christmas party and include CFP in that. In any event, I think that the Paint the Night parade will run nightly. It is going to run nightly during Halloween Time -- which is technically considered to be off season -- so I have no doubt that it will be the nightly parade for the holidays too.

I am going to assume that World of Color - Celebrate will still be happening during the holidays, although it has been getting very lukewarm reviews. Disney may just decide to reintroduce Winter Dreams, though I don't think that was the plan.

The big difference is that in Western WA, most people don't have a/c in their homes. I assume in SoCal, most people do? We are spoiled, however, and put in a/c quite a few years ago. There are some summers where we never need it at all, but this summer it has been working overtime!

I live in an old, old apartment, with a very old A/C unit -- the kind that gives of very little air, but costs a whole lot of money to keep it on. I can't afford to keep it on all day long, and it does very little good when it is actually on. So my apartment is very hot and stuffy. The heat just comes in here and sits in the air for months. It's miserable. Only in November is when the air starts to take a turn, and get a bit crisp in the late night and early morning. Not soon enough!

The people who are lucky enough to have central air conditioning (instead of a wall unit) are the lucky ones. A lot of people in my neighborhood, though, either don't have A/C at all, or they have the clunky old wall units.

I live in an old, old apartment, with a very old AC unit -- the kind that gives of very little air, but costs a whole lot of money to keep it on. I can't afford to keep it on all day long, and it does very little good when it is actually on. So my apartment is very hot and stuffy. The heat just comes in here and sits in the air for months. It's miserable. Only in November is when the air starts to take a turn, and get a bit crisp in the late night and early evening. Not soon enough!

The people who are lucky enough to have central air conditioning (instead of a wall unit) are the lucky ones. A lot of people in my neighborhood, though, either don't have AC at all, or they have the clunky old wall units.
UG, that sounds completely miserable!! I can't imagine living in that climate without reliable a/c! We bought a portable a/c unit recently and my husband just put it in upstairs. You just have to vent it out a window. Hopefully that will help up there! That might be an option for you--they aren't extremely expensive. I have no idea how expensive how they are to run, though.

Welcome back, egritz! :wave: This will be your 3rd holiday season trip! So if you do get the APs, you will have the option of doing another holiday season trip next year, or going in October.

If you're going the week before Thanksgiving, it probably won't be full El Nino rainy season yet. I think you'll probably be okay.

And, the really good news is that I am almost positive you will see the 60th anniversary parade and fireworks! Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks are not going to run at all (they didn't run during the year of the 50th anniversary, and it is looking like they won't be presented this year either). I think that Disneyland Forever fireworks will take place every night during the holiday season (weather permitting). While A Christmas Fantasy Parade is going to run in some capacity (that's a fact, as Disney is holding auditions for the parade), it could be a daytime only thing, or they could suddenly throw in a surprise Christmas party and include CFP in that. In any event, I think that the Paint the Night parade will run nightly. It is going to run nightly during Halloween Time -- which is technically considered to be off season -- so I have no doubt that it will be the nightly parade for the holidays too.

I am going to assume that World of Color - Celebrate will still be happening during the holidays, although it has been getting very lukewarm reviews. Disney may just decide to reintroduce Winter Dreams, though I don't think that was the plan.

Oh my goodness, you may have just made my night! I assumed we would miss the 60th festivities. I'm either going to have to send hubby back to the hotel with the kiddos one night solo so I can see the fireworks, or try to brave staying out "late" one night with the kiddos to see them (my kids go to bed by 7). My parents are considering joining us for a few days this trip too, but we'll see if they end up doing it (that would give me a better chance of staying late one night). Hoping there is no Christmas Party, but we'll make do if there is. And yes this is our 3rd year during the official Holiday Season. First year, 2013, we did 2nd week in December, but we were overwhelmed by the high crowds (plus early-pregnancy morning sickness put a damper on my mood), so last year we enjoyed much lower crowds that week before Thanksgiving (it was my favorite trip yet, even with a 4 1/2 month old and no coasters!) Next year we'll either go the first week of November, or early October with the kids, to make use of the APs. And who knows, if we get a nice tax return from Uncle Sam, maybe we'll be able to sneak in another trip in the Spring.
It is silly but I'm excited to go so that I can come home and make my trip photo album using Shutterfly's new Disney themed stickers and templates!
Back to pricing out hotels. :-)

Oh my goodness, you may have just made my night! I assumed we would miss the 60th festivities. I'm either going to have to send hubby back to the hotel with the kiddos one night solo so I can see the fireworks, or try to brave staying out "late" one night with the kiddos to see them (my kids go to bed by 7). My parents are considering joining us for a few days this trip too, but we'll see if they end up doing it (that would give me a better chance of staying late one night). Hoping there is no Christmas Party, but we'll make do if there is. And yes this is our 3rd year during the official Holiday Season. First year, 2013, we did 2nd week in December, but we were overwhelmed by the high crowds (plus early-pregnancy morning sickness put a damper on my mood), so last year we enjoyed much lower crowds that week before Thanksgiving (it was my favorite trip yet, even with a 4 1/2 month old and no coasters!) Next year we'll either go the first week of November, or early October with the kids, to make use of the APs. And who knows, if we get a nice tax return from Uncle Sam, maybe we'll be able to sneak in another trip in the Spring.
It is silly but I'm excited to go so that I can come home and make my trip photo album using Shutterfly's new Disney themed stickers and templates!
Back to pricing out hotels. :-)

It's not silly at all -- when Photobucket had some special Disney Parks stickers and effects several years ago, I was all over them! I was going through older and newer photos, slapping Mickey ears on everyone! :lmao: When Snapfish offered free Disney Parks calendars several years ago, I was all over those too. I have not yet looked at Shutterfly's Disney selection, although I definitely have an account with Shutterfly so that is half the battle.

I really do think that you'll be in luck and be able to see both Paint the Night and Disneyland Forever at some point during your trip. It's a good sign that they are continuing even during the off season of Sept-Oct, as that means they will almost certainly run all throughout Nov-Dec too (with maybe an exception of a couple of nights in between Halloween Time and the holiday season). I would assume they will be nightly, with the Christmas parade running in the daytime, but we'll see.

I'm looking through my pictures of last December and get too excited for it to only be July!!!

I am sick of July already, so I am definitely much more excited by the thought of December. Actually, from the start of fall on through the rest of the year, that is my time to thrive. I am merely tolerating summer because I have no other choice! :lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter