Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, all!

I just popped in to my Halloween Time Superthread and couldn't sign off without visiting this thread as well. I am still completely baffled by some of the features on this new platform/site/forum. I have no clue why I can open my Watched Threads and see certain threads listed, and then I will open Watched Threads again and not see the threads I just saw 2 minutes prior. I like the old "Subscribed Threads" layout of the previous platform so much better in terms of seeing which threads had been active recently.

In the first few months of every year I usually let this thread and my Halloween Time at DLR Superthread simmer down a bit -- or, rather, I let my activity in them simmer down a bit, while everyone else is still welcomed and encouraged to continue to post and share info, questions and answers here. Around March or April I start revving up the ol' engines to begin getting into Superthread mode again (when the weather starts hitting 90 degrees I can only think ahead to the sweet relief of autumn and the crisp chill of winter).

Signs of Halloween and fall will be appearing on store shelves in about 4 months, and from that point forward the rest of the year will zoom by!

As you know (because I mentioned it here a while back), when DISboards was moved over to the new platform/layout early this year, a lot of formatting and details that I had carefully crafted, typed, assembled, organized, etc. (for the posts on page 1 of this thread and of my Halloween Time Superthread) were knocked out of whack. As I said in my Halloween Time thread, to be honest, after glancing at the wreckage once or twice I was discouraged, disheartened and daunted by the notion of having to go through and fix anything, or everything. I stopped looking at what was wrong and pretended the mess didn't exist. I couldn't even change or fix anything yet because I knew the webmasters were going to try to fix some of what went awry in the transition, and for me to correct anything might mean that my repair work would be reversed once the webmasters waved their magic wands.

I think the webmasters have done all they can do at this point to reverse some of the wonky occurrences in people's random threads, but there is still a lot that needs to be cleaned up in this Superthread and in the Halloween Time Superthread -- links that no longer link where they are supposed to link, punctuation that simply vanished and has to be replaced, font sizes that suddenly got very small, and who knows what else. I'm still not even sure if I can go about typing and pre-preparing posts in the same way that I used to (in MS Word), or if the BB codes will go haywire and mess up the text. So I feel like I am slowly, nervously, hesitantly creeping into a house after a tornado or earthquake has hit it, with my hands covering my eyes, afraid to assess the damage.

I may have to tackle each post on page 1 individually, one at a time, as I try to fix everything -- which will not happen overnight -- and I have to keep in mind that, when news of this year's holiday season finally comes out I may have to change even more things if the details turn out to be vastly different. But, bear with me. This thread is still open for business to discuss all things Holidays at Disneyland (including Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Three Kings Day, etc.), and hopefully there is still enough salvageable information in the assorted posts on page 1 that will give you an idea of what happened last year and during previous years' holiday seasons, so you know what to expect this year (although the mystery surrounding the 60th anniversary's impact on seasonal events looms large). Thank you to figment_jii and everyone else who has continued to keep the thread going in some way!

On a non-holiday note, I sat in as a guest on (co-mod) Mary Jo's latest "Day Six" segment for the DIS Unplugged: Disneyland Edition podcast. This installment in Mary Jo's ongoing Day Six series is about Catalina Island, so we chatted about all things Catalina as it's a great place to go for a day trip (or a weekend) when in Southern California. You can find the "Day Six Adventure: Catalina" segment here: http://www.disunplugged.com/2015/03/23/dis-unplugged-podcast-032215-disneyland-show/
Sherry, I just wanted to say a gigantic THANK YOU for all that you do on these Superthreads! We did Disneyland at Halloween Time this past year, and your thread was invaluable. I followed the Christmas thread and now hope to be going this coming November during Christmas time, so I am anxiously following already. I am so sorry it is so difficult. Wish I could help but my computer skills are marginal. So I will cheer you on! party:

Sherry, I just wanted to say a gigantic THANK YOU for all that you do on these Superthreads! We did Disneyland at Halloween Time this past year, and your thread was invaluable. I followed the Christmas thread and now hope to be going this coming November during Christmas time, so I am anxiously following already. I am so sorry it is so difficult. Wish I could help but my computer skills are marginal. So I will cheer you on! party:

Hi there, sgrap!

Thank you for the kind words!

I vividly remember that you went to DLR for Halloween Time last year, and I also remember that you were on the fence about whether or not to squeeze in a shorter holiday trip (which I am guessing never happened)? And, you had a lot of fun photos to contribute to the Theme Week Countdown!

I'm glad to see that you're planning a holiday trip this year. Although it will be a holiday season without Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks, and possibly without any semblance of the Christmas Fantasy Parade (though we still can't be sure if ACFP will run in the daytime, for the Holiday Tour folks), I think there will be a lot of good stuff happening with all of the 60th anniversary festivities. The likely return of the Christmas star to the top of the Matterhorn should be nice (not that I ever saw the original version of it in person, so it will be new to me too), and I think there will be other surprises and pop-up events in store for us.

I am wondering if any realllly big news will be announced at the D23 Expo this year (in August), such as plans for Star Wars Land. If so, will Star Wars Land take the place of what is now Toontown (which means that this year could be the last year for Toontown's special brand of holiday décor), and/or will it creep into the area that is now the Big Thunder Ranch (which means that this could be the last year of the Jingle Jangle Jamboree)??

Hi there, sgrap!

Thank you for the kind words!

I vividly remember that you went to DLR for Halloween Time last year, and I also remember that you were on the fence about whether or not to squeeze in a shorter holiday trip (which I am guessing never happened)? And, you had a lot of fun photos to contribute to the Theme Week Countdown!

I'm glad to see that you're planning a holiday trip this year. Although it will be a holiday season without Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks, and possibly without any semblance of the Christmas Fantasy Parade (though we still can't be sure if ACFP will run in the daytime, for the Holiday Tour folks), I think there will be a lot of good stuff happening with all of the 60th anniversary festivities. The likely return of the Christmas star to the top of the Matterhorn should be nice (not that I ever saw the original version of it in person, so it will be new to me too), and I think there will be other surprises and pop-up events in store for us.

I am wondering if any realllly big news will be announced at the D23 Expo this year (in August), such as plans for Star Wars Land. If so, will Star Wars Land take the place of what is now Toontown (which means that this year could be the last year for Toontown's special brand of holiday décor), and/or will it creep into the area that is now the Big Thunder Ranch (which means that this could be the last year of the Jingle Jangle Jamboree)??
No, never squeezed in a Christmas trip. So hard when you have to fly down there, and pricey. We had a great time during our October trip, however, so that held me over. ;-) I want to go during the 60th celebration (we went to the 50th, so we have to go during the 60th, right??), but I also would love to see the holiday decorations again. Do you think most of the 60th things/decorations will still be happening and up during the Christmas season?

No, never squeezed in a Christmas trip. So hard when you have to fly down there, and pricey. We had a great time during our October trip, however, so that held me over. ;-) I want to go during the 60th celebration (we went to the 50th, so we have to go during the 60th, right??), but I also would love to see the holiday decorations again. Do you think most of the 60th things/decorations will still be happening and up during the Christmas season?

The way things are looking, if I had to hazard a guess I would say that the majority of the 60th anniversary things will be happening all through this year and well into next year. In fact, not only are the new fireworks and new parade going to be happening all year long, I am guessing that World of Color- Celebrate may take the place of what would have been Winter Dreams this year -- although I am not as certain about that. We may still see Winter Dreams pop up at some point during the holidays.

I am guessing that we won't get the typical Winter Castle "icicle lighting" this year either, as the Castle will be done up in the diamond motif, and that will inevitably include some sort of nighttime effect.

DLR seems to be making a bigger deal out of this 60th anniversary than -- I think -- many people expected. However, that said, Disneyland has to also know that the holiday season at DLR is a very big deal. I don't know what will happen in terms of the random 60th anniversary decorations around the park in relation to holiday décor. They are not going to completely tone down the holidays in both parks -- it has to still look like it's the holiday season -- but I'm not sure what the balance of holiday stuff and 60th stuff will be.

The way things are looking, if I had to hazard a guess I would say that the majority of the 60th anniversary things will be happening all through this year and well into next year. In fact, not only are the new fireworks and new parade going to be happening all year long, I am guessing that World of Color- Celebrate may take the place of what would have been Winter Dreams this year -- although I am not as certain about that. We may still see Winter Dreams pop up at some point during the holidays.

I am guessing that we won't get the typical Winter Castle "icicle lighting" this year either, as the Castle will be done up in the diamond motif, and that will inevitably include some sort of nighttime effect.

DLR seems to be making a bigger deal out of this 60th anniversary than -- I think -- many people expected. However, that said, Disneyland has to also know that the holiday season at DLR is a very big deal. I don't know what will happen in terms of the random 60th anniversary decorations around the park in relation to holiday décor. They are not going to completely tone down the holidays in both parks -- it has to still look like it's the holiday season -- but I'm not sure what the balance of holiday stuff and 60th stuff will be.
Thanks! It all sounds wonderful to me! I just called and switched our end of April/beginning of May reservation to mid-November. Woo-hoo!!

We are actually in the process of buying DVC resale point the Grand Californian, but it is taking forever for the paperwork stuff to go through. I am hoping that we can book VGC for November, but I want a back-up in case there isn't anything open by the time we finally have our membership info. We are SO excited --never thought we'd buy into DVC, but finally decided to bite the bullet since we could get points at the GCH!

I just posted this over in the Halloween Time at DLR Superthread, and then realized it could (possibly) be relevant to this thread as well.

From what I was told by a CM working in the parks, there has been a wave of recent staff activity (new leads, additions. changes and things of that nature) in regards to special events happening at DLR (a "special event" would be something like Mickey's Halloween Party, for example, though there has been no word on anything MHP-specific), and there might be another wave of similar staff activity in the fall. Signs seem to point to special events happening in the second half of the year.

Since this is the year of the 60th anniversary, I would expect that there will be assorted surprises and limited-time special events popping up all year long -- and the second half of the year could include most of summer and beyond. Even something like "Frozen Fun" is a special event, although I don't think that Frozen Fun alone would require the staff additions/changes that have been happening and may continue to happen in the fall.

So, make of that what you will -- it may mean absolutely nothing (as it pertains to the holiday season at DLR), or it may mean something.

At this rate, we can't even be sure if the Christmas Fantasy Parade is gone for good in 2015, or if it will be worked into the daytime holiday fun (for the people who do the holiday tours). All we know is that CFP will not be happening at night during the holiday season, and Believe... In Holiday Magic fireworks is off the table this year as well. I would have to imagine that the Enchantment Lighting of the Winter Castle is off the table this year too, although I would certainly hope that a "Diamond" overlay on the Castle would bring with it a nifty nighttime lighting effect. If a diamond overlay doesn't give us some cool, sparkly, shimmery nighttime effects on the Castle, then something has seriously gone awry!!

Humm interesting. I have been wondering for a few weeks now. What is the fw and parade aren't gone for good because they plan the special holiday party? But it would only be seen during those days. During regular day hours would be all the 60th special stuff. It could be a test run to see if the Christmas party could work next year.
Id be all for a holiday party and I am also praying to the Disney God's to hear my plee and have the Frozen fun come back. It looks like so much fun.

Humm interesting. I have been wondering for a few weeks now. What is the fw and parade aren't gone for good because they plan the special holiday party? But it would only be seen during those days. During regular day hours would be all the 60th special stuff. It could be a test run to see if the Christmas party could work next year.
Id be all for a holiday party and I am also praying to the Disney God's to hear my plee and have the Frozen fun come back. It looks like so much fun.

I would be shocked if Frozen Fun didn't come back. I think it's too popular right now. It probably won't be gone for very long after it closes in May -- maybe just long enough to let the 60th anniversary events take center stage for a while, and then it would probably be back in time for the holiday season (unless there is something else major happening in DCA during the holidays).

I don't think there will be a Christmas party this year -- at least not a multi-night party on the heels of a multi-night Halloween party. It's possible, of course, but I tend to think that it will happen after the 60th stuff dwindles down.

The holiday fireworks are not happening this year, which makes sense because they didn't happen at all in 2005 (during the 50th anniversary) either.

At a short Q&A session that took place after the 60th anniversary events were announced, Steve Davison or someone on the panel said that there would be no holiday shows, as they were choosing to focus on the new shows for the 60th. However, I can't seem to find that particular snippet -- and I clearly remember playing the video and hearing it for myself, but I think I must have accessed it from Micechat or from Mouse Planet -- I can't remember. I can't find that specific brief comment.

Interestingly, I did, however, just happen to see this blog on AllEars (which is not an official Disney news source) that I hadn't seen before:

http://land.allears.net/blogs/lauragilbreath/2015/01/disneyland_diamond_anniversary_1.html

I don't know how I missed it, but then again I don't usually check the AllEars blogs. Here is a quote from the blog:

"The Diamond Celebration opens May 22, but has no closing date. It will be "a long celebration." :-)

As the three new shows are nighttime offerings, Mickey's Soundsational Parade will continue to operate as the daytime parade. Fantasmic! will also continue performances on the Rivers of America. In November and December the evening holiday shows, "Believe...in Holiday Magic" and "World of Color - Winter Dreams" will not be offered this year, but the "A Christmas Fantasy" parade will return as usual."

But... when you play the video that is embedded in the blog and you get to the very, very, very end, someone in the audience asks the panel about the holidays and the answer was that, by the time we get to the holiday season, the Diamond Celebration will still be going on. It will be 60th "all the time." I didn't hear anyone say that A Christmas Fantasy Parade will return, so I'm not sure how the AllEars blogger knows that?

Hmmm... I find it curious that A Christmas Fantasy Parade is supposed to return as usual, according to the blogger, and that Paint the Night would not continue during the busy holiday season. Then again, ACFP is a big part of the holiday season and has been for a very long time. Maybe the blogger meant that ACFP is returning in the daytime only.

The plot thickens! Lol.

If I can find that other snippet in which Steve Davison or one of the other gentleman on the panel/in the room says that there will be no holiday shows this year in order to focus on the 60th, I will post it. I think it must have been a question that was asked right after the video in the AllEars blog cut off.

Oh wow, I do hope that the parade for the 60th will still be running in Dec. Hummmm interesting post. Thank you.

A MiceChat blog from January 29th - http://micechat.com/93387-disneyland-60th-anniversary/ - says:

"The celebratory shows and parades will run throughout the anniversary celebration – no Christmas parade or shows will be running in 2015, according to Davison at the press Q&A."

So...we have AllEars claiming that A Christmas Fantasy Parade is running this year, even though I didn't hear anyone in the video Q&A say that, and MiceChat says that A Christmas Fantasy Parade is not running this year (which is more in line with what I heard on the longer and shorter video segments I have watched).

And I still cannot find the small audio/video snippet I heard/saw in January, in which Steve Davison (or another man) clearly said that there would be no holiday shows this year, to they could focus on the 60th. Arrrrggggghhhhhh. What happened to that portion of the Q&A? :lmao:

:santa::santa:

so it comes down to "who do we believe more?" LOL fun fun
I wish they would release a real answer from Disney.

so it comes down to "who do we believe more?" LOL fun fun
I wish they would release a real answer from Disney.

:lmao: Very true. It's possible that the AllEars writer meant to say that ACFP is returning in the daytime during the holiday season, but the way it is written it makes it seem as if she meant that it's returning in its usual nighttime spot too.

And it's possible that MiceChat misinterpreted what Steve Davison said to mean that there would be no ACFP at all this year, even in the daytime.

I remember -- in the short video/audio snippet that I heard back in January -- Steve Davison (who is an official Disney person) or one of the other two men (but I think it was Steve) on the panel specifically said "no holiday shows" so the focus could remain on the 60th anniversary. Why can't I find that short clip? Arrrggggghhhhhh! I think it was like a short add-on/addendum to the longer Q&A video that is included in AllEars' blog that I linked above.

When I heard it, my first thought was that he meant no holiday shows in the daytime or at night, but then I began to question which parade would run in the daytime if ACFP disappeared this year. I also wondered if maybe Steve (or whoever it was who answered) was only thinking in terms of nighttime holiday shows not running when he gave his answer, but that maybe he hadn't considered the daytime parade.

It's all so confusing! :confused::crazy:

Yes it is, but thank you for trying to keep us all up to date with the rumors, facts, and fiction you hear all around.
I will say
1. I hope the frozen fun thing is true to be back
2. I hope we get to see all the 60th stuff this Dec.
3. If they do some special things I hope it would be at Christmas time (nov-dec).
Lol hers more praying and plees sent to the Disney Gods. Lol

Yes it is, but thank you for trying to keep us all up to date with the rumors, facts, and fiction you hear all around.
I will say
1. I hope the frozen fun thing is true to be back
2. I hope we get to see all the 60th stuff this Dec.
3. If they do some special things I hope it would be at Christmas time (nov-dec).
Lol hers more praying and plees sent to the Disney Gods. Lol

No problem! It's simultaneously confusing and fun to sort through the various rumors, facts and speculations.

My guess is that you'll get to see all of the 60th stuff -- the new parade, the new fireworks and the new World of Color.

As I mentioned before, I would be shocked if Frozen Fun didn't come back for the holidays in some capacity. The whole Snow Fest area just seems to lend itself well to a holiday/winter theme.

Everything else is a mystery, indeed!

:santa::santa::santa:

There is nothing new to report here as far as Holiday Season at DLR info (we should be so lucky -- WDW's Christmas party tickets have already gone on sale, and we won't know the official details of Disneyland Resort's Holiday Season for months!! :rolleyes:), but this thread was lingering on page 9 of the forum and I thought I should give it a bump in case there are any people out there beginning to prepare for their Disneyland trips in November-December-early January. Feel free to join us, ask questions, share your plans or just say hello!

Since we don't know much at this early stage, here are some bullet points of things we do know, things that are likely, and things that have been rumored:

Confirmed by Disney -
  • There will be no Believe...in Holiday Magic fireworks this year, as the new Disneyland Forever fireworks will be running all year long as part of Disneyland's Diamond Celebration/60th anniversary; and
  • The Avengers Half Marathon Weekend will be taking place from Thursday, November 12 - Sunday, November 15.

Not Yet Confirmed, but Almost Guaranteed -
  • Most likely, the Holiday season at Disneyland Resort will "officially" begin somewhere in the range of Thursday, 11/12 or Friday, 11/13, with decorations and certain things soft opening on Friday, 11/6. (We may not get the confirmation of the holiday season start and end dates until as late as September!!);
  • Most likely, World of Color - Winter Dreams will not be happening this year, as the new World of Color - Celebrate will be running through the rest of 2015;
  • Also, more than likely the "Enchantment Lighting" (illuminated icicles) of the Winter Castle will not happen this year, as there will be a diamond theme (and probably lighting effects associated with it) on the Castle starting in May and for the rest of 2015; and
  • The Candlelight Ceremony & Processional will most likely take place on Saturday, December 5th and Sunday, December 6th, with 2 performances each night. (We will probably get the confirmation of the dates in July.)

Unknown (conflicting reports) -
  • It is unclear at this moment whether or not A Christmas Fantasy Parade will return for the holiday season as a daytime-only event. It will not happen at night, as the new Paint the Night parade will be taking place.

Rumor (first mentioned on MiceAge/MiceChat) -
  • A Christmas star will return to the peak of the Matterhorn. There has not been a Christmas star atop the Matterhorn since the '70s, and in 2014 a rumor surfaced that it would be returning for the 60th anniversary of Disneyland. We shall see!

Stay tuned over the next couple of months or so, as I reveal details of this year's Theme Week Countdown -- the 5th year of the Countdown!!!! :woohoo: Last year was a supersized Countdown (which we started in July), with more themes and more Theme Weeks than ever before. This year I may go in the opposite direction and cut out some categories/themes, or group lots of themes together, possibly narrowing it down to the top 10 or top 15 most active/popular themes (based on last year's participation stats). I haven't fully decided yet if that's what I'm going to do, but I will announce it when I have it all figured out.

I may also eliminate the Code Word Challenge portion of the Countdown, which means that the people without Disneyland Resort Holiday photos to share could still enter to win a Disney gift card by simply posting a photo in the final "Holiday Cornucopia" Theme Week (for which any holiday photos can be shared).

Last edited:
Thanks for the update sherry. I am eagerly awaiting any Christmas news. Our AP's expire november 15th, and we'd like to surprise my kids and my parents with a Christmas trip, so I hope the Christmas celebrations start earlier rather than later this year.

I completely forgot to mention in my earlier post this tidbit of non-Disney-related holiday info.

Those of you who followed along with this thread and its predecessors over the last few years know that I am a sucker for the Hallmark Channel's Countdown to Christmas movie marathon every year (as well as their brief Christmas in July event). It does a great job of getting me in the holiday spirit, and it provides a nice running holiday backdrop for me throughout the season -- sort of like ongoing Christmas music, but with visuals and stories! Lol. DIS'ers tksbaskets (TK) and OHBelle (Tracy) are also fans. The Countdown lasts about 2 months, from late October/early November to New Year's Eve or early January, and it is usually all day/all night Christmas movies for most of that time, with the exception of a 4-hour block devoted to the show Home & Family every day.

There are typically 12 brand new movies that are premiered during the 2 month Countdown to Christmas, often with a bonus 13th new movie, and lots of repeats of older Hallmark holiday movies.

The Hallmark Channel is already advertising this year's Countdown to Christmas -- and it is going to have a total of 15 ALL NEW HOLIDAY MOVIES (more than any other network)!!! That's more new movies than ever before, and there may actually be a bonus 16th movie thrown in. Although dates have not been announced, I can assume that the Countdown will begin on October 30th and end on January 1st. There will be new movies shown every weekend up until 12/13 or 12/20, and then repeats through the rest of the year.

There is also going to be a shorter Christmas in July marathon, which will either begin on July 3rd or July 10th, and will end on July 12th or July 19th, respectively.

Though these guilty pleasure movies follow the same general formula and most of them are extremely lightweight and predictable, some are definitely better than others. Some of my favorite Hallmark holiday movies from years past are (in no specific order):

A Very Merry Mix-Up (with Alicia Witt)

The Christmas Ornament (with Kellie Martin and Cameron Mathison)

Let it Snow (with Candace Cameron Bure)

Snow Bride (with Katrina Law and Jordan Belfi)

The Nine Lives of Christmas (with Brandon Routh and Kimberly Sustad)

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year (with Brooke Burns, Warren Christie and Henry Winkler)

Mrs. Miracle (with Doris Roberts and James Van Der Beek)

Angels and Ornaments (with Jessalyn Gilsig and Sergio Di Zio)

A Bride for Christmas (with Arielle Kebbel and Andrew Walker)

Naughty or Nice (with Hilarie Burton, Meredith Baxter and Michael Gross)

Window Wonderland (with Chyler Leigh, Paul Campbell and Cameron Mathison)

The Christmas Shepherd (with Teri Polo)

Farewell, Mr. Kringle (with Christine Taylor and Vivica A. Fox)

Trading Christmas (with Faith Ford, Gil Bellows and Tom Cavanagh)

Finding Christmas (with Tricia Helfer and J.T. Hodges)

A Royal Christmas (with Lacey Chabert and Jane Seymour)

Matchmaker Santa (with Lacey Chabert)

Christmas Dance a.k.a. Come Dance with Me (with Andrew McCarthy)

Annie Claus is Coming to Town (with Maria Thayer and Vivica A. Fox)

A Christmas Wish (with Kristy Swanson)

A Christmas Visitor (with William Devane, Meredith Baxter and Dean McDermott)

So, if you get the Hallmark Channel and want to watch some entertaining, often fluffy, sugary holiday fare in July or in the last couple of months of the year, or to get you in the spirit of the season while you're planning your Disneyland Resort holiday trips, I recommend tuning in. Don't expect Emmy-caliber scripts or A-List stars, as you probably will not get them. You kind of have to accept the movies for what they are -- flimsy plots and all -- and then just go along for the fun ride!

I completely forgot to mention in my earlier post this tidbit of non-Disney-related holiday info.

Those of you who followed along with this thread and its predecessors over the last few years know that I am a sucker for the Hallmark Channel's Countdown to Christmas movie marathon every year (as well as their brief Christmas in July event). It does a great job of getting me in the holiday spirit, and it provides a nice running holiday backdrop for me throughout the season -- sort of like ongoing Christmas music, but with visuals and stories! Lol. DIS'ers tksbaskets (TK) and OHBelle (Tracy) are also fans. The Countdown lasts about 2 months, from late October/early November to New Year's Eve or early January, and it is usually all day/all night Christmas movies for most of that time, with the exception of a 4-hour block devoted to the show Home & Family every day.

There are typically 12 brand new movies that are premiered during the 2 month Countdown to Christmas, often with a bonus 13th new movie, and lots of repeats of older Hallmark holiday movies.

The Hallmark Channel is already advertising this year's Countdown to Christmas -- and it is going to have a total of 15 ALL NEW HOLIDAY MOVIES (more than any other network)!!! That's more new movies than ever before, and there may actually be a bonus 16th movie thrown in. Although dates have not been announced, I can assume that the Countdown will begin on October 30th and end on January 1st. There will be new movies shown every weekend up until 12/13 or 12/20, and then repeats through the rest of the year.

There is also going to be a shorter Christmas in July marathon, which will either begin on July 3rd or July 10th, and will end on July 12th or July 19th, respectively.

Though these guilty pleasure movies follow the same general formula and most of them are extremely lightweight and predictable, some are definitely better than others. Some of my favorite Hallmark holiday movies from years past are (in no specific order):

A Very Merry Mix-Up (with Alicia Witt)

The Christmas Ornament (with Kellie Martin and Cameron Mathison)

Let it Snow (with Candace Cameron Bure)

Snow Bride (with Katrina Law and Jordan Belfi)

The Nine Lives of Christmas (with Brandon Routh and Kimberly Sustad)

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year (with Brooke Burns, Warren Christie and Henry Winkler)

Mrs. Miracle (with Doris Roberts and James Van Der Beek)

Angels and Ornaments (with Jessalyn Gilsig and Sergio Di Zio)

A Bride for Christmas (with Arielle Kebbel and Andrew Walker)

Naughty or Nice (with Hilarie Burton, Meredith Baxter and Michael Gross)

Window Wonderland (with Chyler Leigh, Paul Campbell and Cameron Mathison)

The Christmas Shepherd (with Teri Polo)

Farewell, Mr. Kringle (with Christine Taylor and Vivica A. Fox)

Trading Christmas (with Faith Ford, Gil Bellows and Tom Cavanagh)

Finding Christmas (with Tricia Helfer and J.T. Hodges)

A Royal Christmas (with Lacey Chabert and Jane Seymour)

Matchmaker Santa (with Lacey Chabert)

Christmas Dance a.k.a. Come Dance with Me (with Andrew McCarthy)

Annie Claus is Coming to Town (with Maria Thayer and Vivica A. Fox)

A Christmas Wish (with Kristy Swanson)

A Christmas Visitor (with William Devane, Meredith Baxter and Dean McDermott)

So, if you get the Hallmark Channel and want to watch some entertaining, often fluffy, sugary holiday fare in July or in the last couple of months of the year, or to get you in the spirit of the season while you're planning your Disneyland Resort holiday trips, I recommend tuning in. Don't expect Emmy-caliber scripts or A-List stars, as you probably will not get them. You kind of have to accept the movies for what they are -- flimsy plots and all -- and then just go along for the fun ride!

This is good news! 15, possibly 16 new Holiday movies! I'm in! I will also enjoy the July mini marathon too. Especially since is it miserably hot here in AZ in July! Hallmark never lets me down when it comes to Christmas movies. They are not all 5 star movies, but I take them for what they are and enjoy them.

Sherry- you have listed all my favorites too. I am still amazed how much I liked Nine Lives of Christmas from last season. There was one at the end of last season that I missed. I can't remember the name right now, but it will be new to me this year. A Christmas Pageant maybe?

I doubt we will be making it to DLR this year. We have an Alaskan cruise in June (that has been in the works for 2 years) and my son is getting married in October in Ohio. Between those two and the added trips to Ohio for the bridal shower and wedding planning, the travel budget and vacation time just won't stretch. :(
I will have to live vicariously through this thread and other peoples trips. We are planning for December 2016 at this point. I am sad I will miss all the 60th Anniversary celebrations.

This is good news! 15, possibly 16 new Holiday movies! I'm in! I will also enjoy the July mini marathon too. Especially since is it miserably hot here in AZ in July! Hallmark never lets me down when it comes to Christmas movies. They are not all 5 star movies, but I take them for what they are and enjoy them.

Sherry- you have listed all my favorites too. I am still amazed how much I liked Nine Lives of Christmas from last season. There was one at the end of last season that I missed. I can't remember the name right now, but it will be new to me this year. A Christmas Pageant maybe?

I doubt we will be making it to DLR this year. We have an Alaskan cruise in June (that has been in the works for 2 years) and my son is getting married in October in Ohio. Between those two and the added trips to Ohio for the bridal shower and wedding planning, the travel budget and vacation time just won't stretch. :(
I will have to live vicariously through this thread and other peoples trips. We are planning for December 2016 at this point. I am sad I will miss all the 60th Anniversary celebrations.

Hi, Tracy:wave: --

Oh no! That's too bad that you won't make it back to DLR for the holidays this year :sad2: -- I know you were planning to try for another visit -- but it definitely sounds as if your travel plate is going to be full and the budget stretched! You'll have a great time on the cruise, I'm sure, and how wonderful that your son is getting married!

You never know -- maybe some of the new 60th anniversary shows will return or still be around at DLR for the holidays of 2016. I guess it depends on how popular they turn out to be, and what the general feedback from guests will be.

Yes, definitely stay tuned to this thread as the mysterious details of this year's holiday season at DLR unfold! We have no idea how the 60th will affect anything other than the holiday fireworks being shelved, but I know that we are all waiting on pins and needles to find out!

The last 2 brand new Hallmark movies of 2014 were The Best Christmas Party Ever and The Christmas Parade. Maybe you missed The Christmas Parade? It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't that great. You didn't miss anything really wonderful. It is certainly something that you can catch during Christmas in July, or later this year. It's worth seeing one time, but not necessarily a 'watch over and over every time there is a marathon' sort of movie.

I think there will be 16 new movies if there is a new Hall of Fame movie thrown in. Last year, the Countdown to Christmas commercials promoted 12 new movies, but we actually got 13 because of the Hall of Fame movie -- One Christmas Eve with Anne Heche -- that was thrown in. This year, the commercials are advertising "15 all new movies," so that may or may not include a new Hall of Fame production.

I think that, in general, the 2013 crop of new Hallmark movies was stronger than the 2014 crop of movies -- but there were still a few gems in the 2014 bunch. I think that some years will be like that -- sometimes there will be a lot of good movies, and other years there may be just a couple of gems and a bunch of so-so/not very memorable movies.

What will be interesting is that, with at least 15 new movies airing over the 2 months at the end of the year, some of the "older" movies (meaning anything prior to 2012) will probably be relegated to a lighter rotation and not repeated as often. I'll be curious to see which older movies Hallmark chooses to repeat more often than others, and which ones get prime viewing blocks in the schedule and aren't shown in the middle of the night. Also, will they move some of the older movies over to the Movies & Mysteries Channel this year, and drop them from the regular Hallmark Channel?

For Christmas in July they limit what they run as well. They don't necessarily show every single holiday movie they have over those 10 days. It will be interesting to see which movies are chosen for the mini-marathon. Although... if it turns out that Mr. Miracle (with Rob Morrow) and One Christmas Eve are shown in heavy rotation, I might have to change the channel. I cannot tolerate those two movies and will cringe in horror if they are repeated a lot this year.

I loved, loved, loved Nine Lives of Christmas! I now have the DVD for it. Not only was it funny and sweet, but it wasn't the typical sort of "pet movie" I was expecting. The cat was an important part of the movie, but it wasn't really all about the cat -- and when it was about the cat, those scenes were cute and not annoying.

(By the way, did you see All of My Heart [with Lacey Chabert and Brennan Elliott] during the Countdown to Valentine's Day? It was the last new movie to air in February, on Valentine's Day weekend. It is a gem. They saved the best new 2015/Valentine movie for last. It was better than all of the other new movies in January and February. It, too, was funny, sweet, cute -- and I loved all of the supporting characters [which is not always the case in these movies]! Plus, Lacey and Brennan had good chemistry. I loved the charming house, and the baked goods -- and the baby goats :love:!!!!!!! I bought into the whole thing. Loved it, from start to finish!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter