Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #2 (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome! You'll have a blast. If you want to get extra excited go look at Sherry's Christmas thread and Bret/mvf-m11c trip reports. They are faithful posters here so follow the links down in their signatures.

Hm...In my experience the Jolly Old Elf is scarce anywhere but the parade after the 25th. I have seen him in the holiday parade after Christmas. I have also sat in his empty chair at the GCH. So I'd say your chances of seeing Santa are slim.

Perhaps other may have some insight.

Now Santa Mickey and Santa Goofy have both been out on our post-Christmas trips to DL/DCA.

TK

I gave my insight on Santa above.

TK, this is my Christmas thread!:rotfl2: But if you mean my TR, I did make a special trip to DLR on 11/12 specifically to gather info/photos for this Christmas thread (and for a podcast that I thought I would be doing, but now I guess I'm not:confused3), so I would like people to come to my TR and view all of the other photos I will be posting and have already started posting. I gave the link to the page and the post in which the pictures begin a page or two back, but here it is again - starting on Page 222, Post #3328.

I also read that Santa leaves DLR 12/24--he's got a busy night! Can't remember where I saw that info, but others seem to agree.

Awesome, thank you Eeee-va, tksbaskets, and fidgment_jii! Very helpful and sweet of you :)

I had no idea you HAD to get a fastpass for WOC for the wheelchair area, wow am I glad I asked!

Last question - is there wheelchair seating for the Christmas Parade and Believe in Magic show? Are those okay? I know last summer when we saw the fireworks we couldn't find the wheelchair seating or something and ended up watching from the front of Main Street, I think where customer service is near the entrance, and that wasn't half bad. But maybe since the show is different there is a better place to be!

Thanks again for your help, and yes I saw all the Christmas pictures, super neat!

Last year, after the first character "good night" (9-9:30pm), crowds really thinned out. We stayed until 11:30pm in FL and everything was either walk-on or 5 min waits. I don't know how it was in other parts of DLR (didn't venture around).

What is this "character 'good night'" that you speak of?

Here is a post from this thread with photos, from lapdwife:

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=39319924&postcount=252

The characters come out at least a couple of times on Christmas Eve (some of them are in their pajamas!) to wave goodnight to the guests and wish them a merry Christmas.

Oh man, that's adorable!! I wish they did that a few other times throughout the Christmas season so more people could take advantage of it :)

Oh man, that's adorable!! I wish they did that a few other times throughout the Christmas season so more people could take advantage of it :)

I agree! I've never been able to actually see it myself, as I've never been there on Christmas Eve. In fact, I don't think I had ever seen pictures of it until lapdwife posted them. It doesn't seem to be a widely discussed element of the season so I am guessing a lot of people have missed it. It looks soooo cute, though - the characters in their little jammies! I would love to see it.

Can the photo pass + be used for Santa photos? Also is there any reason why it might be better to have photos taken with the santa in one of the hotels rather than the ones in the parks? Where is he in his red suit, I'm not a fan of the plaid. :rotfl2:

Can the photo pass + be used for Santa photos? Also is there any reason why it might be better to have photos taken with the santa in one of the hotels rather than the ones in the parks? Where is he in his red suit, I'm not a fan of the plaid. :rotfl2:

Photo Pass+ can be used with any Photo Pass photographer. I don't know about prints though of course if you have Photo Pass + you get the cd. I've heard that hotel Santa usually has a shorter wait then park Santa. Not sure about the red suit/plaid.

JennyN -

Santa is in some form of a red suit at all 5 of the posts (though each suit may differ in style a bit, depending on the location/theme). He was only in the green plaid ensemble at the (former) Reindeer Round-Up, post-Christmas. Since Santa is supposed to be gone from the Jamboree/Round-Up this year by 12/24, I don't think he will be in the green plaid anywhere!

As far as which locations might be better...setting aside the parks for a moment and just focusing on the hotels alone, each hotel has its high points.

I really like the setting in the Grand Californian Hotel lobby. Santa sits in front of the tree, and it's a dimly lit, elegant, holiday-esque environment. There will be a PhotoPass person here.

The Santa spot in the Disneyland Hotel (unless it has changed) is a bit more elaborate, with a whole fireplace set-up, a plate of milk and cookies for Santa, reindeer decor and various trees. There may or may not be a PhotoPass person at this spot.

The Paradise Pier Hotel Santa backdrop is very simple - it's in the lobby; it's not dim or atmospheric; it's not elaborate. It's just Santa sitting in front of the very, very beautiful blue-green glowing tree (which is my favorite of the 3 hotels' trees because it is the most colorful and striking to me). But there is no PhotoPass person here.

The Santa spot at the Jingle Jangle Jamboree is outdoors, which could be problematic on rainy days in December! I don't know why they didn't just let him stay in his little cabin at this spot, as the cabin is still available for photos!

So I guess the reasons to get hotel Santa photos instead of or in addition to the parks' Santa photos would be for the different backdrops, ambiance, coloring, etc. I find that a picture of the Santa at the GCH is very different from a photo with the Santa at Elias & Co. in DCA because the setting/backdrop looks so drastically different!

Sherry, did you notice ay of the demitasse cup desserts this year? I saw the pictures from last year... they look so cute. They are on my souvenier list; I hope they still have them! Thanks!

Sherry, did you notice ay of the demitasse cup desserts this year? I saw the pictures from last year... they look so cute. They are on my souvenier list; I hope they still have them! Thanks!

I didn't see them (I definitely would have snapped a picture), but I'm sure they must be in the parks in some form or another (even if it's a slightly different design). They have been popular (even with the old mug design) at least since 2007. There's probably something at Plaza Inn and Carnation Cafe, if not Cafe Orleans too.

I was trying to get into the Jolly Holiday Bakery - which is one place I was certain would have those demitasse desserts. The line of people and crowds milling about inside Jolly Holiday were bothersome, and I wasn't able to really get to the displays to look at what was there. That's the problem with a lot of places around DLR - if you are not actually in a line, prepared to buy something, it can be tough to get up to the displays to see what's what. Add in a lot of people in the restaurant, and it is doubly hard!

I can't imagine that the demitasse desserts would be gone, though. I hope you're able to find one!

Thanks! I'll definately be stopping at the Jolly Holiday Bakery, I'll check the other spots if I have too. Thankks again! :santa:

I read Prep and Landing is replacing The Muppets. Is this for the whole month of December? Is it in 4d or any other special effects?? TIA!!!:goodvibes

Last year, after the first character "good night" (9-9:30pm), crowds really thinned out. We stayed until 11:30pm in FL and everything was either walk-on or 5 min waits. I don't know how it was in other parts of DLR (didn't venture around).

Thank you very much!! :goodvibes

You said the "first" character good night. Do they do more than one on Christmas Eve?

Thank you Sherry E, that was a wonderful comparison description of the venues for Santa. Now I'm trying to work out my chances of getting 12 teenage girls to have photos taken with Santa in each location. :lmao:

Last question - is there wheelchair seating for the Christmas Parade and Believe in Magic show? Are those okay? I know last summer when we saw the fireworks we couldn't find the wheelchair seating or something and ended up watching from the front of Main Street, I think where customer service is near the entrance, and that wasn't half bad. But maybe since the show is different there is a better place to be!

I believe there is wheelchair seating for the parade...I thought I saw some last year near the Train Station. But you'll probably need to ask, and probably need to devote some time waiting--maybe as much as you'd devote to the regular sections anyway. The DISabilities board may (or may not) be able to help you more, if no one else here knows for sure. Otherwise, I believe you can get a spot along the parade route like everyone else.

I'm not sure at all about fireworks, but I personally think it is OK to not have a great view of the castle for the Christmas fireworks. It's not Christmas-y but I think my favorite fireworks viewing location (unless it's the "Remember...Dreams Come True" show) is actually while riding Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. :flower3: That might be hard to time in a wheelchair, true enough, but is easier to time with Fastpass.

I gave my insight on Santa above.

TK, this is my Christmas thread!:rotfl2: But if you mean my TR, I did make a special trip to DLR on 11/12 specifically to gather info/photos for this Christmas thread (and for a podcast that I thought I would be doing, but now I guess I'm not:confused3), so I would like people to come to my TR and view all of the other photos I will be posting and have already started posting. I gave the link to the page and the post in which the pictures begin a page or two back, but here it is again - starting on Page 222, Post #3328.

:rotfl2: Yes I mean your other thread containing Christmas photos and thoughts. Thanks for posting the link. I have to admit I followed it and went through all the pictures you posted again.

I'm thrilled to be going to WDW with the family in December but a little piece of my Disney heart wishes I was going to be strolling BVS on Christmas Day. Next year I hope...

Thank you Sherry E, that was a wonderful comparison description of the venues for Santa. Now I'm trying to work out my chances of getting 12 teenage girls to have photos taken with Santa in each location.

JennyN -

You're very welcome!

In fact, just for photographic reference (and I am guessing there are other people out there who will be meeting Santa too), I compiled some of my photos to give examples of each Santa location.

(2010) - This is the Santa spot at the Paradise Pier Hotel – it's bright, cheery, and basic. The tree is gorgeous and glowing in person, but does not translate well in photos. There is no PhotoPass person here...

See the Santa chair on the left side of the picture...

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

Santa’s chair...

IMG_1498.jpg

Santa hugging a random child...

IMG_2854.jpg

Carolers on the other side of the tree greet guests as they enter the lobby...

IMG_2959.jpg

(2010) - This is the Santa spot at the Grand Californian Hotel. It is dimly lit, elegant, comfortable, and there's an overall very nice holiday atmosphere. There is always a PhotoPass person with Santa...

Hello, Santa!

IMG_2045.jpg

Presents under the tree...

IMG_1574.jpg

IMG_2043-1.jpg

Carolers sing and take requests on the other side of the tree (this picture is from 2008, but they were there in 2010 and last year too)...

001_24A-1.jpg

And a Santa PhotoPass picture from 2008...

image003.jpg

(2010) - This is the Disneyland Hotel Santa photo spot. It's more elaborate, detailed; sometimes there is a PhotoPass person; sometimes no PhotoPass person...

IMG_2350.jpg

IMG_2353.jpg

IMG_2355.jpg

IMG_2356.jpg

IMG_2357.jpg

IMG_2360.jpg

IMG_2366.jpg

(2012) - Here is Santa at his new Elias and Company post in California Adventure – it's bright, cheery and there is a long line of people waiting to meet him. He was there in the afternoon and at night. There is a PhotoPass person with him...

IMG_6448.jpg

IMG_6447.jpg

IMG_6166.jpg

IMG_6167.jpg

(2012) - This is Santa at new, outdoor, rustic Jingle Jangle Jamboree post in Disneyland (with a PhotoPass person)...

IMG_6272.jpg

IMG_6324.jpg

IMG_6334.jpg

IMG_6335.jpg

I hope that helps everyone debating on which Santa spots to go to!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter