Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #2 (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not real happy with the way Disney is handling this CP situation either, focusondisney. Sigh.:(

First of all, I can't believe that they are only offering the Ultimate package for 12/1 & 12/2 and no other CP ceremony!?:confused3

And if Club 33 people are also going to have a crack at getting seats on the other nights when the AP holders may or may not 'win' seats, the AP holders have even less of a shot at seats.

I walked by the CP area last year - a couple of times - and looked right at the empty chairs waiting to be filled by invitation-only guests. There were not many. There is just not enough room in that location to add in a lot of seats. So the people who get chosen in this crazy lottery will really be few and far between, I think.

Of course, yes, we could all stand there and view the CP from afar - one of the people who commented on the Blog suggested that. But unless it is 'organized standing' - in other words, a designated location or spot for people who signed up and registered to stand - then it will just be a free-for-all/get to the right place at the right time sort of situation...and that's what causes all of the crowds every year for the invitation-only events.

It just seems to me that this CP information (about the 20 nights) should have never been announced in August. Until Disney had it all figured out exactly how they were doing the whole thing, and unless they were going to be crystal clear up front in telling everyone exactly what the chances of seeing the CP would be (making it clear up front that AP people may or may not get to see it and that there would be no dining packages, no Ultimate on any night beyond 12/2, etc.), it wasn't worth even bringing it up and getting people's hopes up. They made it sound like, "Hey, isn't this great? We're expanding the CP to 20 nights so everyone can see it," when, really, that's not exactly the situation.

Perfectly said! Why did they even bother anouncing anything til they had a plan in place? Originally, I did not care about the CP at all. We have seen it a few times @ WDW & was fine with not seeing it. But after hearing about that Ultimate Tour, I got myself all geared up to see it. And did not even cringe or miss a beat when that CM told me the price. "Wonderful! Book it!", I said. And there is no way I'm gonna jockey around for a SRO spot.

I actually don't know how DL regulars put up with so much standing room only atractions: World of Color, Fantasmic, CP. Maybe it's spending 35 years on my feet as a nurse, but on vacation, I want to SIT!!! :rotfl:

Bingo! Well said. It's a a bait and switch. People get excited about this show, thinking they can buy their way into a seat, only to be told they have no chance if they don't pony up a load of cash for an annual pass. Even with that pass, chances are slim you'll get a seat.

My daughter made a good point. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of disabled people who flock to the parks daily.. They are all but excluded from this event because joining the hordes of people pushing and shoving for a spot to watch it by standing on the sidelines. Even fantasmic has handicap viewing areas. Will they do that for CP?

The bait & switch comment is right on. I feel like DL is playing me for a sucker. Keep all the plans secret til it's too late for people to change their plans. They may have my money for this vacation, but they won't get any more for looong time.

And I'm really dreading how crowded/ chaotic it's gonne be in the parks as folks linger on Main street & jockey for a viewing spot. Not my idea of an enjoyable vacation.

StyledSugar -

I will keep watch for those little trees! I think they're adorable, and they come in that green canister for mailing! You know, I first spotted those cute trees in 2010 (the pictures I posted of them here last week were from November and December 2010). I'm not sure if they had been on sale during previous years' seasons and I somehow didn't see them, but I tend to think they were not really around until 2010. At that point, I saw them in quite a few stores - they were in the Emporium, in one or two of the hotels' gift shops, in Marceline's Confectionery and in the main shop in Frontierland.

Last year I didn't get a chance to look around and really see if the tiny trees were still as prolific as they had been the year prior. I know they were still being sold because I saw them in other folks' photos. I just don't know if they were in as many places. I have to think that those trees are very popular, and if they were not being sold again this year there would probably be something else very similar.

They even had Halloween versions of the mini-tree at one point!

That would be great!! We are hoping that we don't need to bring something from home or order one of the room packages to get a little bit of Christmas cheer inside our hotel room for Christmas morning.

Thanks Sherry!!

I am really interested in finding out about the different Santas they have around the resort. We will be there the first week of December and want the kids to visit one Santa. Any reports will be appreciated. I like a traditional Santa, but since we will be in California I figure we can have a change. What about the locations and decorations around Santa...what are the best. Thanks for any information.

With just days to go until November 12th rolls around, you know what that means....

It’s time for the Daily Countdown to the holiday season!!!

...Only 6 Days Until the
:santa:Holiday Season Begins at Disneyland Resort!!!!:santa:

Each day this week there will be a new Disneyland Resort holiday mini-theme!! Some of the daily themes may tie in to a theme from the prior day or from the following day, or even tie into the main theme for the week (which is the Hotels of the Disneyland Resort until 11/12). If you don’t have any holiday photos of the Hotels, you may have photos for one of the mini-themes. You may have photos that apply to both the mini-themes and the weekly themes. It’s all good!

Everyone’s photos will fit into many of the themes one way or the other – whether it’s the overall weekly theme or the daily mini-themes, or both! Everything should blend together and (hopefully) transition nicely so that no one has to sit out of the photo-sharing fun for longer than a couple of days.

In the spotlight today are the beautiful, decorative and/or fragrant accents to the season….

HOLIDAY FLOWERS & PLANTS

I think it’s time for a burst of holiday color, don’t you?!

One of the things that Disneyland Resort is famous for is its green thumb. During any month at Disneyland Resort – but especially during the Autumn and Winter holidays - you will notice that vibrantly colored flowers and plants are used to pack a powerful seasonal punch. Disneyland’s gardeners and designers work year-round (and ‘round the clock) on the proper creative placement and upkeep of these botanical gems, including the topiaries, the parterres, the trees and a few very dramatic flower beds…but there’s no denying that at Christmas time they make the boldest statements.

The horticultural elements of the Resort are almost as impressive as every other meticulous detail. Stunning, eye-catching floral arrangements and lush plants dot the landscapes of the parks, serving to not only play a role in the overall ‘theme’ of the designated areas but also to complement seasonal décor. (Even the artificial flowers are beautiful!)

From the floral Mickey that greets visitors when they pass through the turnstiles at Disneyland’s entrance, to the flowers surrounding the Partners statue, to the striking poinsettias located around the hotels - holiday colors are abundant during the Christmas season!!

Today, let’s stop and smell the roses and post our photos of holiday flowers and/or plants!!!!

Early Fall Flowers…

IMG_3260.jpg

Late Fall/Winter Holiday Flowers/Plants…

IMG_3587.jpg

IMG_3664.jpg

IMG_3666.jpg

IMG_3704.jpg

IMG_3707.jpg

IMG_3716.jpg

IMG_3835.jpg

IMG_3834.jpg

IMG_3836.jpg

IMG_2682.jpg

IMG_1376-1.jpg

IMG_2101.jpg

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1699.jpg

IMG_2624.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_2111.jpg

IMG_1495-1.jpg

020_5A-1-1.jpg

IMG_2634.jpg

Vintage pictures…

(2001)

2001-NOVEMBER-DISNEYLAND-DISNEYL-18.jpg

(1993)

DISNEYLANDPARTNERSDEC1993.jpg

Please feel free to post your holiday photos of Disneyland’s flowers and plants! Stay tuned for another daily countdown mini-theme tomorrow …and then we finally wrap up our countdowns and themes on Monday, November 12th!!

I will be doing mini-daily themes every day this week from today (Tuesday, November 6th) through Sunday, November 11th, and then the final weekly theme will be on Monday, November 12th – but please continue to post your Hotels of the Disneyland Resort pictures all week long if you have them (or any other mini-theme photos too)!!

So...I've been waiting patiently (okay...IMpatiently) to book our stay for the release of MVMCP tix to go on sale for DLR, only to find this previous post by Erin Glover today:

Tonya on October 17th, 2012 at 1:19 pm
Is there a Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party in Disneyland?

Erin Glover on October 17th, 2012 at 4:44 pm
Tonya – We do not offer a special Holiday party here at the Disneyland Resort; however, there is so much to see with your regular park tickets! We’ll have more details soon

Is this accurate? And does anyone have any new info or details? Will there still be cookies, hot cocoa, candy canes, etc? :confused:

So...I've been waiting patiently (okay...IMpatiently) to book our stay for the release of MVMCP tix to go on sale for DLR, only to find this previous post by Erin Glover today:

Tonya on October 17th, 2012 at 1:19 pm
Is there a Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party in Disneyland?

Erin Glover on October 17th, 2012 at 4:44 pm
Tonya – We do not offer a special Holiday party here at the Disneyland Resort; however, there is so much to see with your regular park tickets! We’ll have more details soon

Is this accurate? And does anyone have any new info or details? Will there still be cookies, hot cocoa, candy canes, etc? :confused:

There's never been an MVMCP at Disneyland! We think that there will be one next year. The cookies, cocoa and candy canes are for sale in various shops.

Have a look at Page 1, Post #3 of this thread - there's a lot of information there that may be of interest!

I just don't understand anything about how the CLP is being handled this year. Granted last time I was at DL (I have been going to WDW every other year for my last 3trips) was 2005 when the CLP was open to anyone who wanted to get a dining package, but I don't understand why they are expanding it to every night but keeping it on MS. I was sitting and watching the show since I had gotten the dining package, but I did look back at one point during the show and MS was packed. I just don't understand the wisdom of keeping it there rather than moving it to the Fantasyland Theater. Also, having it main street means no nighttime Christmas Parade, which is such a bummer.
I also don't understand why they waited so long to have the details hammered out. They should have had the lottery a month ago,surely not all AP holders are local or can attend on such short notice. I love that they want more people to be able to experience it, but there is less than a months notice for people to make arrangements.
I understand there is going to be a learning curve for how this will go, but Disney is usually so good about details, this just seems crazy to be so unorganized with less than a month to go.

Thanks Sherry! Being a So Cal native, you'd think I would know this stuff :confused3 Looks like the next best thing would be the Holiday tour, but at $68 PP we'll have to take a pass. I guess that means all that's left to do is pick a date and add my name to the list! :santa:

Did they announce what time CP will be? How long is it? I know this is the first year of 20 nights of CP, but does anyone have an idea how long you have to stand to get a good spot early? Where would a good spot be?

I just saw this posted on the disney blog:

Once again, Santa and Mrs. Claus are making the trip down from the North Pole to enjoy a special visit with everyone at Big Thunder Ranch in Frontierland. But this year therell be more fun than ever as they play host to the Jingle Jangle Jamboree, starting November 12!

Its a jolly holiday spot filled with Disney characters, music, games, crafts and seasonal entertainment for the whole family. At the Jingle Jangle Jamboree, youll be able to enjoy some of Mrs. Clauss tasty treats and try your hand at Reindeer Games like Wreath Around the Antlers or Pass the Presents. When Billy Hill and the Holiday Hillbillies take to the stage, expect holiday tunes with a humorous twist and maybe even a singalong.

Of course, the Jingle Jangle Jamboree is also the place in Disneyland park where youngsters can meet Santa Claus himself and whisper their hearts desires into his ear, right up until he departs on Christmas Eve. When Santa visits the Jingle Jangle Jamboree, youll find him in a place of honor alongside a sparkling Christmas tree, surrounded by homespun holiday trimmings.

The Jingle Jangle Jamboree promises to be the perfect spot to celebrate the spirit of the season in a warm-hearted way as big as all outdoors!

I just saw this posted on the disney blog:

Once again, Santa and Mrs. Claus are making the trip down from the North Pole to enjoy a special visit with everyone at Big Thunder Ranch in Frontierland. But this year therell be more fun than ever as they play host to the Jingle Jangle Jamboree, starting November 12!

Its a jolly holiday spot filled with Disney characters, music, games, crafts and seasonal entertainment for the whole family. At the Jingle Jangle Jamboree, youll be able to enjoy some of Mrs. Clauss tasty treats and try your hand at Reindeer Games like Wreath Around the Antlers or Pass the Presents. When Billy Hill and the Holiday Hillbillies take to the stage, expect holiday tunes with a humorous twist and maybe even a singalong.

Of course, the Jingle Jangle Jamboree is also the place in Disneyland park where youngsters can meet Santa Claus himself and whisper their hearts desires into his ear, right up until he departs on Christmas Eve. When Santa visits the Jingle Jangle Jamboree, youll find him in a place of honor alongside a sparkling Christmas tree, surrounded by homespun holiday trimmings.

The Jingle Jangle Jamboree promises to be the perfect spot to celebrate the spirit of the season in a warm-hearted way as big as all outdoors!

Yay! Relieved to hear that Billy Hill is going to be around. We've never been to DL and heard them perform, but based on YouTube we're really looking forward to watching them :)

Yay! Relieved to hear that Billy Hill is going to be around. We've never been to DL and heard them perform, but based on YouTube we're really looking forward to watching them :)

They're awesome! I look forward to hearing their christmas performance.

Did they announce what time CP will be? How long is it?
Schedule has not been announced, however here is an educated guess:
First performance 5:30 (based on parade at 4:00)
Second performance 8:00 (CP must complete before 9:00 Fantasmic)
Candlelight is 45 minutes.

I know this is the first year of 20 nights of CP, but does anyone have an idea how long you have to stand to get a good spot early? Where would a good spot be?
Very hard to tell. All the publicity about Candlelight might make it more difficult than previous years, even with 20 nights.
I'm hoping there will be fewer chairs, allowing for some better standing spots.

Eeek! Have you guys checked out Disneyland.com today? Mater is there on the bottom of the screen--and you can "follow" him and see random holiday stuff. They are tricking out the Mad T Party-- and it says:

You're Invited to the Holiday T Party

Hats off to our first-ever rock-and-roll Holiday celebration! Between November 12, 2012 and January 6, 2013, Mad T Party gets much more… "muchier": Guests who pass through the Rabbit Hole will be treated to holiday songs played by our own Mad T Party Band, a festive décor, wondiferous lighting and video effects, and more wintry whimsy throughout the party. Oh, and make sure you're there to raise a cup at "T Time" — the Mad Hatter is predicting snow!

And... WOC Holiday Surprise:

Witness an enthralling nighttime spectacular weaving water, color, fire and light into a kaleidoscope of fantasy and imagination. Watch Disney characters come to life on a shimmering veil of mist as more than 1,000 jets of water form fanciful shapes in time to the music. Joining this colorful cast of characters is Merida, from the Disney•Pixar animated motion picture Brave.

A Big Job for 2 Little Guys

Even after 227 years of making sure the holidays go off without a hitch, Kringle Academy elves Lanny and Wayne — from Disney Prep & Landing — are beside them-elves making last-minute preparations for the arrival of Santa. Can they pull it off?

Be dazzled and delighted by this festive feast for the senses at Disney California Adventure Park.

Ooooh... and if you are going after new years... they are doing 3 King's Day... maybe this is normal... but I had never heard of it!

Join us at Big Thunder Festival Arena in Frontierland at Disneyland Park for a 3-day celebration of this Hispanic holiday commemorating the 3 gift-giving kings.

January 4, 5 and 6, 2013

For generations, the people of Spain, Mexico, Central America and Puerto Rico have observed this important holiday, also known as Epiphany, with their own unique traditions. Celebrate with this tribute featuring merry mariachi music, colorfully clad dancers and scenic displays depicting holiday rituals.

Big Thunder Festival Arena will be brightly dressed up for the occasion in cheerful colors, hanging papel picado banners and fresh flowers. See statues of the Three Wise Men bearing gifts, as well as little toy-filled shoes left out by hopeful children the night before in anticipation of gifts from the kings.

Hot Entertainment and Hot Tamales!

Enjoy live performances throughout the celebration as the Ballet Folklorico Dancers swirl and sway in their voluminous, jewel-toned skirts and the sounds of the Grammy®-winning Mariachi Divas delight your eardrums. Some of your favorite Disney Characters will be dressed in their fiesta best, ready to party with you!

Little kings and queens can color in the Three Kings or customize their own paper crown with sparkling "jewels." Then get a heavenly new look with a face-painted sun, moon or star!

And what holiday would be complete without something delicious? Rancho del Zocalo restaurant is featuring several specials available only during the Three Kings' Day Celebration, including sweet corn tamales with pineapple and cajeta, and savory blue-corn tamales with jack cheese in a green chili tomatillo sauce. For a sweet treat, try the cake known as Rosca de Reyes — there could be a tiny baby hidden inside! — or a strawberry-filled churro.

:woohoo::yay::dance3::cool1:

Eeek! Have you guys checked out Disneyland.com today? Mater is there on the bottom of the screen--and you can "follow" him and see random holiday stuff. They are tricking out the Mad T Party-- and it says:

You're Invited to the Holiday T Party

Hats off to our first-ever rock-and-roll Holiday celebration! Between November 12, 2012 and January 6, 2013, Mad T Party gets much more… "muchier": Guests who pass through the Rabbit Hole will be treated to holiday songs played by our own Mad T Party Band, a festive décor, wondiferous lighting and video effects, and more wintry whimsy throughout the party. Oh, and make sure you're there to raise a cup at "T Time" — the Mad Hatter is predicting snow!

And... WOC Holiday Surprise:

Witness an enthralling nighttime spectacular weaving water, color, fire and light into a kaleidoscope of fantasy and imagination. Watch Disney characters come to life on a shimmering veil of mist as more than 1,000 jets of water form fanciful shapes in time to the music. Joining this colorful cast of characters is Merida, from the Disney•Pixar animated motion picture Brave.

A Big Job for 2 Little Guys

Even after 227 years of making sure the holidays go off without a hitch, Kringle Academy elves Lanny and Wayne — from Disney Prep & Landing — are beside them-elves making last-minute preparations for the arrival of Santa. Can they pull it off?

Be dazzled and delighted by this festive feast for the senses at Disney California Adventure Park.

Ooooh... and if you are going after new years... they are doing 3 King's Day... maybe this is normal... but I had never heard of it!

Join us at Big Thunder Festival Arena in Frontierland at Disneyland Park for a 3-day celebration of this Hispanic holiday commemorating the 3 gift-giving kings.

January 4, 5 and 6, 2013

For generations, the people of Spain, Mexico, Central America and Puerto Rico have observed this important holiday, also known as Epiphany, with their own unique traditions. Celebrate with this tribute featuring merry mariachi music, colorfully clad dancers and scenic displays depicting holiday rituals.

Big Thunder Festival Arena will be brightly dressed up for the occasion in cheerful colors, hanging papel picado banners and fresh flowers. See statues of the Three Wise Men bearing gifts, as well as little toy-filled shoes left out by hopeful children the night before in anticipation of gifts from the kings.

Hot Entertainment and Hot Tamales!

Enjoy live performances throughout the celebration as the Ballet Folklorico Dancers swirl and sway in their voluminous, jewel-toned skirts and the sounds of the Grammy®-winning Mariachi Divas delight your eardrums. Some of your favorite Disney Characters will be dressed in their fiesta best, ready to party with you!

Little kings and queens can color in the Three Kings or customize their own paper crown with sparkling "jewels." Then get a heavenly new look with a face-painted sun, moon or star!

And what holiday would be complete without something delicious? Rancho del Zocalo restaurant is featuring several specials available only during the Three Kings' Day Celebration, including sweet corn tamales with pineapple and cajeta, and savory blue-corn tamales with jack cheese in a green chili tomatillo sauce. For a sweet treat, try the cake known as Rosca de Reyes — there could be a tiny baby hidden inside! — or a strawberry-filled churro.

:woohoo::yay::dance3::cool1:

Mommy2PrincessAbby -

Great info! Thank you so much. When I was on the DLR site yesterday, there was no Mater to follow and see random things...at least not that I saw. Maybe he was there on a different page than where I was. Then again, I also checked that darn Parks Blog repeatedly yesterday and didn't see one thing about the CP. As soon as I stopped checking it, they put up a blog about the CP!:rotfl2:

You know, I could be wrong on this but to my knowledge, the 3 Kings Day celebration at DLR did not begin until this past January. I don't remember hearing about it prior to the holiday season of 2011.

I've got to gather up all of the most recent links to the various blogs and news items and put them on Page 1 of the thread...

Mater being there to "follow" put me in a much better mood after all the CP stuff yesterday. But, now of course--I must know when T time is, and how often? I want to see the snow during the Mad T Party! :banana:

I emailed VP again today about the Christmas room amenities... this is their response (more detail than last week's response! But lousy punctuation lol!)

Good Afternoon,
Thank you for your e-mail. We will be having Christmas Themed amenities available for purchase . They include a Holiday In Room Celebration , Holiday Tree and a Santa Bag filled with Disney merchandise . We are still in the process of finalizing all the items so we do not have a final price a for the amenities .
We are looking in about 2 weeks to have all amenities finalized .
Please contact our office or e-mail us again to get the updated information .
Best regards,
Disney Vacation Planning
Disneyland Resort .

I don't have a ton of flower/plant pics but I did find a few from my Dec. 2011 trip!!

243.jpg

051.jpg

034-1.jpg

The poinsettias were plentiful through out the parks and hotels. Stunning!!

This was taken in front of the PPH.......granted, not a Christmas/Holiday flower but beautiful anyways~~Bird of Paradise.

032.jpg

I posted by displeasure on the Disney Blog on not having a chance to have a good seat to witness the CP. I'm really disheartened about the whole situation. The more things I see the Disneyland Resort implement the more I shake my head. Raising costs (I've heard more price hikes are on the way), confusion about early magic hours this past summer, Candlelight Processional exclusions (What would Walt Disney say about this? Shouldn't the Christmas Story be for everyone?), and now the possibility of another hard ticket event for next year? When is enough enough?

Sorry for the rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter