Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #2 (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three great things from our recent trip...

Gingerbread: We were in the parks the 10th-15th, and I was happy to find big, fat, soft gingerbread cookies at Market House on Main street. They were so yummy, I think I ate three or four of them! Anyway, I know there was earlier talk of soft vs. crisp, so thought I'd report on this find :). Also, Market House had meds "behind the counter" and we were able to buy cough syrup. You have to ask, and it costs about 25% more than Target, but saves time in a big way. The first aid station has a list of all the products available at Market House (how cool is that!?!)

Tote: I don't know if they'll have any left, but stores had a really cute tote in either red or blue with a reasonable minimum purchase. I think it was about $12.00. Fun tote, but if you're practical you won't like the no pockets/no closures. They also had a throw, Mickey design of some type.

The Big Thunder Ranch BBQ was fun; the stage was decorated for Christmas and we caught the entire performance. Best money for two teens with the all you can eat. The beans and coleslaw were really delicious, and the boys seemed to enjoy the ribs (I don't do pork so I'll take their word!)

Well, as I mentioned before we are tentatively planning 12/6 to 12/12 of next December. With my initial research it sounded like this would be a relatively down time crowd wise, but after reading some of this years reports I am beginning to worry.

Some of our favorite things to do at WDW close to Christmas are the dinner package for Candlelight Processional at Epcot...wishes dessert party at tomorrowland station...dinner package for Fantasmic and the hard-ticket MVMChristmas Party.

I'm trying to figure out the equivalents as well as the offerings that are unique to DLR. So far here is what I come up with:

There is a Candlelight Processional at DL...but I am unclear on the details. Is there a reserved seating area?

Am I to understand that there is a dessert party and reserved viewing area associated with Fantasmic that you can book?

There is no hard-ticket Christmas party where they clear out the day guests and require separate paid admission?

I've seen a Holiday Tour mentioned. Is this something you can book in advance?

I've also seen reference to the Reindeer Roundup near BTMRR and freshly made candy canes at the candy shop on main street.

Finally, is there a dinner package with a reserved area associated with World of Color?

Any details I am missing on these or anything else anyone might want to suggest would be GREATLY appreciated. :goodvibes

ok I have been lurking on this thread but 2 days before our trip I want to clarify the current quests

Trees
Wreaths
Lamps
Bows
Fudge

Did I miss anything?
Our familys personal photo quest will be CLOCKS...that way when I do my TR I will have a handy photographic timeline.

Thanks for all the info I have gleaned from this thread hopefully when we return I will have some stuff to contribute about the last week of December,

Our familys personal photo quest will be CLOCKS...that way when I do my TR I will have a handy photographic timeline.

What a great idea! I have got to learn where all the clocks are in the park to be sure to use this great tip in the future.

Thanks, Sherri.

Well, as I mentioned before we are tentatively planning 12/6 to 12/12 of next December. With my initial research it sounded like this would be a relatively down time crowd wise, but after reading some of this years reports I am beginning to worry.

Some of our favorite things to do at WDW close to Christmas are the dinner package for Candlelight Processional at Epcot...wishes dessert party at tomorrowland station...dinner package for Fantasmic and the hard-ticket MVMChristmas Party.

The CP is only for one weekend, for two nights. It is held on Main Street, no packages are available.

I'm trying to figure out the equivalents as well as the offerings that are unique to DLR. So far here is what I come up with:

There is a Candlelight Processional at DL...but I am unclear on the details. Is there a reserved seating area?

No

Am I to understand that there is a dessert party and reserved viewing area associated with Fantasmic that you can book?

Yes, 30 days in advance, $60 dessert tray with reserved seating.

There is no hard-ticket Christmas party where they clear out the day guests and require separate paid admission?

No, but there are rumors this could change next year. DL might have a hard ticket Christmas party.

I've seen a Holiday Tour mentioned. Is this something you can book in advance?

Yes, a two and half hour tour which includes front of line access to HM and IASW. You tour the entire park and learn about holiday traditions around the world and in DL. Then you have reserved seating for the holiday parade. It's $64.

I've also seen reference to the Reindeer Roundup near BTMRR and freshly made candy canes at the candy shop on main street.

Reindeer Roundup reminds me of some of the offerings at Fort Wilderness. It is a quaint, country Christmas atmosphere where you can meet Santa, his reindeer, and other animals. You can do crafts and eat a BBQ meal like what is offered at Hoop.

Finally, is there a dinner package with a reserved area associated with World of Color?

Yes, picnic lunches are offered online for $15, which gives you a fastpass for a reserved section of WOC. There is also a dinner package available at two restaurants at California Adventure. They include access to the reserved section. There are no seats for WOC, standing only. The dinner packages are about $40.

Any details I am missing on these or anything else anyone might want to suggest would be GREATLY appreciated. :goodvibes

We are long time WDW visitors that moved to the west coast and have discovered the beauty and charm of DL. I would highly recommend going to DL during the holidays, but have to warn how insanely busy it can get. DL doesn't handle the crowds as well at MK. I would recommend going during the week, if you can. We went for a long weekend a couple of weeks ago and had a terrific time, but would pull the kids out of school for a couple of days to enjoy less crowds. The decorations are gorgeous, especially in the New Orleans section. DL offers a holiday overlay for HM and IASW that are well worth a visit alone. They also decorate the facade of IASW and although it isn't as grand as Osborne lights, it is incredibly beautiful.

We have fallen in love with DL. I love the convenience of having everything within walking distance. We save so much stress and time not dealing with buses. I think DL is so much more beautiful than MK. I miss Epcot, but DL is a worthy alternative to a big WDW visit.

You did miss one important tip—the picnic meals for WOC have to be done online to purchase one, you cannot walk up and purchase one. it does say that on the website for Disneyland in the world of color info…

Same Day Picnic Purchase
Sorry, orders must be placed in advance online; same day and phone orders are not accepted. Picnic meals with tickets to the second showtime are available for walk-up purchase, subject to availability, at the Sonoma Terrace located at the Golden Vine Winery between 11:30 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.

WOC PICNIC INFO

One thing affects another - it's like a big snowball! Here's why:

There is also a rumor that the Candlelight Processional will move over to California Adventure - possibly as early as next year, and possibly after all the work is finished in DCA. Of course, it's not set in stone yet, but that was a valid rumor.

If the CP does move to DCA and out of DL, my thinking has always been that they will put something else in DL to have as a signature event to fill the void of the CP - and a Very Merry Christmas Party would be a perfect idea, based on the popularity of the Halloween party. Recent rumors of a possible Christmas party seem to support what I think will happen.

Now if the Christmas party comes to fruition in Disneyland, this will mean that things like fireworks, snow and probably the parade could suddenly become party exclusives, requiring a separate ticket. I think people will raise a huge fuss about this if it happens, as these things have gone on for years as part of the regular holiday activities. To have them suddenly taken away and stuck in a separate paid event will be very controversial. But it could happen.

And if the holiday parade becomes an exclusive part of a Christmas party, then that will change the activities included in the Holiday Tour!! The Tour would suddenly have no parade - because the parade would have to be kept exclusive to the party, most likely. I think the schedule of the tour would have to change as well, making sure that none of the later tours overlapped with any party nights. Whether or not they would add something else into the tour to fill the void of the parade or just leave a hole in the tour's agenda is another story. But many tour participants will be unhappy, as one of the perks is to have the seats for the parade.

Now if the Christmas party comes to fruition in Disneyland, this will mean that things like fireworks, snow and probably the parade could suddenly become party exclusives, requiring a separate ticket. I think people will raise a huge fuss about this if it happens, as these things have gone on for years as part of the regular holiday activities. To have them suddenly taken away and stuck in a separate paid event will be very controversial. But it could happen.

And if the holiday parade becomes an exclusive part of a Christmas party, then that will change the activities included in the Holiday Tour!! The Tour would suddenly have no parade - because the parade would have to be kept exclusive to the party, most likely. I think the schedule of the tour would have to change as well, making sure that none of the later tours overlapped with any party nights. Whether or not they would add something else into the tour to fill the void of the parade or just leave a hole in the tour's agenda is another story. But many tour participants will be unhappy, as one of the perks is to have the seats for the parade.

When I was at WDW during MVMCP, it was good exclusive party but paying for another ticket to see Holiday Wishes, Celebrate the Season stage show, A Totally Tomorrowland Christmas show and MOUaC parade just seems alot to some people. I thought it was okay for the price just for 8 hours in the park. The hot cocoa and holiday cookies are nice. Some of the ride times are long even during the party. If DL is going to do a exclusive party just like MHP, TDA has to show better activities just like MVMCP to convince guests to show up for the party. It would be disappointing to see DLR follow WDW MVMCP and make the Holiday events at DL exclusively for the ticket holders.

It would be even more disappointing if the Holiday tour does not come with the reserved seating for "A Christmas Fantasy" parade. That is one of the reason why I did the tour last year was the reserved seating for the parade.

IMG_0045.jpg

I think every time a thread starts with.."I am thinking of going to DL for Christmas time.." we post this picture in the hopes that next year it will be empty. ;)

I think I'm probably one of the few who would welcome a hard ticket DL Christmas party. I love the idea of smaller crowds. The halloween party was lovely, I would say almost as good as WDW. They just need to create a parade as good as Boo to You! The Halloween party was definately worth it.

I think WOC is going to morph into holiday themes as a substitute for evening "free" activities for AP.

The parties are too good a money maker for Disney.

So I have TONS and TONS of catching up to do, but I thought I would drop in to say HI! I have been watching our local news and have heard about the miserable weather that has been going on in California...has it been raining like crazy at DL as well? As I watch the news and see how miserable the weather is right now, I am really glad that our trip was pushed off until next year. If we would have gone this year and it was pouring the entire time we were there it would have been horrible. Since this is probably going to be our one and only trip there, I would HATE to have to spend it stuck in the hotel. I know we can't perdict what next year will bring, but it is highly unlikly that next year will be the same. I feel bad for those that went this year and it may be their only trip...I hope, if the weather was horrible, that they were able to get a little bit of time in the parks where they were not misserable.

I hope everyone has an amazing Christmas and remember the true meaning of CHRISTmas. Also, hold your family close and be thankful for each and everyone of your family members in this day. With employment issues, high foreclosure rates, and people struggling to put food on their tables...lets be thankful that we not only have each other, but we have a nice warm place to sleep. Have a wonderful weekend and great time with your family and friends.

I think I'm probably one of the few who would welcome a hard ticket DL Christmas party. I love the idea of smaller crowds. The halloween party was lovely, I would say almost as good as WDW. They just need to create a parade as good as Boo to You! The Halloween party was definately worth it.

I agree! The Boo to You parade was one of the best parades we have ever seen. MHP is missing that one great element that WDW has.

I think WOC is going to morph into holiday themes as a substitute for evening "free" activities for AP.

I think you have something there. Last Oct we stayed 3 days in one of the DVC rooms that faced DCA. We had the pleasure of observing them play around with the new Tron segment that was added to the WOC. For two nights we had wayward blue laser lights streaming into our room as they tried different effects to come up with the final piece. By the third night they had the segment finished and were practicing seeming it into the WOC with music. It wouldn't take them long to come up with a Halloween or Christmas WOC.

Oh Pjimmeyer,

I did not mean you or any one else who is asking about Christmas time!!!!! I am absolutely mortified if someone took it that way.

I was trying to be funny because that picture shows such HUGE crowds, I just cannot believe all the people there that day. I was just joking that if we show that picture around enough, maybe we can scare everyone else away and keep it just for us (you included).

But absolutely you should go - it is beautiful and worth the crowds.

Oh Pjimmeyer,

I did not mean you or any one else who is asking about Christmas time!!!!! I am absolutely mortified if someone took it that way.

I was trying to be funny because that picture shows such HUGE crowds, I just cannot believe all the people there that day. I was just joking that if we show that picture around enough, maybe we can scare everyone else away and keep it just for us (you included).

But absolutely you should go - it is beautiful and worth the crowds.

I knew exactly what you meant, amamax2!! I hope Pjimmeyer got the joke! Do anything we can to keep those 'other' folks (not the ones on the Christams threads!) away from DLR during the season.;) If anyone is curious or interested enough to subscribe to the holiday threads, then they should go to DLR during the holidays and experience it!! We're here to inform and share!

So, along those lines....I must tell all the 'other' people not on this thread that the GCH lobby experience is a waste of time and not worth it...too crowded. Stay far, far away.;);)

Hi, scrappinbear78!!!!:cool1: I'm glad to see you are sticking with us in this thread. I hope you've had a chance to get caught up on all the latest photos!

I'm a little scared of these crowds! I'm actually on the plane as we speak heading to SNA. Can't believe it!

I'm a little scared of these crowds! I'm actually on the plane as we speak heading to SNA. Can't believe it!

Have fun, jdisnut!!

It is supposed to rain a bit (though not like the rain we had this week) in the next couple of days. That may keep a few people away...maybe. But it will be very, very crowded - I think that is inevitable. From what we have heard, it was still pretty crowded even in the rain this week. It's going to be a Magic Morning every day except for Wednesday, through next week, so there will be lots of folks getting jump starts on their days if they have 3-day Hoppers (or more) or are staying onsite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!