Disneyland AND Universal...Can it/should it be done?

Ever since they started offering a So Cal pass for $100 (went up to $109 a few months ago) it's been busy. Weekends probably moreso.

Ever since they started offering a So Cal pass for $100 (went up to $109 a few months ago) it's been busy. Weekends probably moreso.

I'd definitely buy that if I lived in the area. Heck we bought USO passes one year and we live in Mass. My FL cousins thought it was hilarious but we still managed to get our money's worth and more.

We did a day at Universal on our most recent DLR trip in November-- flew in to BUR on a Wednesday and picked up a cheap rental car, went to Universal on Thursday, drove down to DLR on Friday morning and turned our car in, and enjoyed the next four days at DLR. It worked out very well for us.

We did this last summer. We came in by Amtrak and did 5 days at Disney. Then rented a car and went to Catalina Island for the day. We went from there up to Universal. We stayed at the Sheraton and purchased our tickets online for that day. We were able to get everythng done in a day. We flew out of Burbank at 8 that night.

Thinking of adding a day at Universal on to our early June DL trip...Sounds a like one day is plenty. We really just want to see the Harry Potter stuff and maybe do the tram tour. What are wait times like for the Harry Potter rides? Is it worth the extra $$ for the front of line pass? We would probably leave in the morning from Anaheim and try to get there early. This would likely be Friday, June 9. Would it open at 9? Thanks for any help!

I just booked a trip for DLR and also plan on doing USH. When doing my research, I found it was better economically to stay in Anaheim (We are staying at a "Good Neighbor Hotel") and then rent a car. The hotels are much cheaper in Anaheim. We are there for 10 days, but only have 1 day planned for USH. Everything I have read here and elsewhere says 1 day is plenty.

What are wait times like for the Harry Potter rides? Is it worth the extra $$ for the front of line pass? We would probably leave in the morning from Anaheim and try to get there early. This would likely be Friday, June 9. Would it open at 9? Thanks for any help!
The wand experience and the main ride can have about an hour wait. I don't remember if front of the line works for those. You will want to check that out ahead of time and if it does, get front of the line since you'll only be there one day. The line for the tram gets really long, too.

Even though you aren't interested in anything else, I recommend the Water World show. It is probably my single favorite thing in the entire park. Jurassic park is fun, too. Front of the line pass will make it pretty easy to do all the different things in just one day, even on a very busy day.

The wand experience and the main ride can have about an hour wait. I don't remember if front of the line works for those. You will want to check that out ahead of time and if it does, get front of the line since you'll only be there one day. The line for the tram gets really long, too.

Even though you aren't interested in anything else, I recommend the Water World show. It is probably my single favorite thing in the entire park. Jurassic park is fun, too. Front of the line pass will make it pretty easy to do all the different things in just one day, even on a very busy day.
Thanks! That is super helpful!

We've been to DLR 5 times and made the trip to USH once and SFMM all 5 visits from the FFI in our rental car. Yes, traffic stinks, 2 hours+ each way to SFMM. But we know what to expect and DW is a non-rider at SFMM - so does the driving so we can chill/sleep on the way back. If you hit the USH at opening you can still get back to Anaheim in time for dinner, break, and then hit DLR at night (depending on wait times and traffic of course).

We just got done doing 3 days at Disneyland and 1 day at universal (we are actually at SNA airport waiting for our flight home right now).

There is 4 of us. We flew into SNA and used Uber to get to our hotel on Harbor (at the Disneyland crosswalk) which cost $32.

We chose Saturday for our universal day and used Uber again. It cost $42 for the ride there (park opened at 9 so we left at 7:30) and $52 for the ride back (high demand surcharge)

I looked into renting a car but when I added the cost of the rental, parking at our hotel, parking at Universal and gas, it was actually cheaper to use Uber for our transfers and I didn't have to worry about driving in an area I am not familiar with.

We just got done doing 3 days at Disneyland and 1 day at universal (we are actually at SNA airport waiting for our flight home right now).

There is 4 of us. We flew into SNA and used Uber to get to our hotel on Harbor (at the Disneyland crosswalk) which cost $32.

We chose Saturday for our universal day and used Uber again. It cost $42 for the ride there (park opened at 9 so we left at 7:30) and $52 for the ride back (high demand surcharge)

I looked into renting a car but when I added the cost of the rental, parking at our hotel, parking at Universal and gas, it was actually cheaper to use Uber for our transfers and I didn't have to worry about driving in an area I am not familiar with.

How were the crowds on Saturday at USH? Did you buy express pass? If so, was it worth it?

Thanks for posting the Uber prices, that was very helpful! How long was the commute each way on Saturday? Safe travels!

Crowds weren't bad at all at USH. We were able to do everything in the park and reride the bigger rides 2-3 times without express pass. Park was open till 10 but we were done by 7:30 and decided to go eat in City walk before heading back. Uber took about 45-60 minutes each way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter