Disney Wonder Dry Dock Watch - 11/10 Wonder departs on first cruise out of Galveston

Flossbolna

Sea days are just so relaxing!
I thought it would be helpful to have one spot to collect all the information about the Wonder Dry Dock in 2016. Now that we have the first big announcement by Disney, hopefully more information will come out over time.

I will try to keep this first post updated with the most current information, so please let me know if anything is outdated and please post all information that you find out there on the web to this thread!

Updated 11/4 (newest updates will always be in Red)
added some info that has become available thanks to pictures from the frist cruise

Timeframe:
September 9 to October 23 in Cadiz, Spain
The last cruise before the dry dock is the Eastbound Panama Canal Cruise, which ends on 9/9 in Port Canaveral and the beginning of the first sailing from Galveston on 11/10.
It is unclear what happens with the current gap between 10/23 and 11/10, especially since the announced dry dock date includes already at the beginning the day the Wonder needs to reposition from Port Canaveral to Cadiz.
The Wonder arrived in Cadiz Dry Dock in the early morning hours local time on 9/19

The Wonder left Cadiz on 10/23 and visited Lisbon on 10/24
Arrived in Port Canaveral on 11/1, departed on 11/3 for the first of two test cruises before relocating to Galveston

Scope:
Reimagitation of:

• Restaurants
  • Kids Clubs
  • Pool Deck
  • Adult Area
  • Spa (including Rainforest Room)
  • some other areas
  • new theater show (Frozen)
  • possible more that has not been announced yet

Restaurants:

• New restaurant: Tiana's Place Restaurant (replaces Parrot Cay) including a stage for life music
  • Remodel of Animator's Palette
  • Beach Blanket Buffet to be replaced with Cabanas
  • Palo makeover
  • renaming of pool deck casual food outlets to align with Magic with the exception of Frozone Treats, which will be Sulley's Sips on the Wonder
Kids Clubs:
  • Marvel Super Hero Academy in Oceaneer Club
  • Frozen Adventures in Oceaneer Club
  • Andy's Room in Oceaneer Club
  • new activities in Oceaneer Club: visit from Anna and Else, Disney Junior characters
  • enhanced Edge Club will be relocated in the former arcade
  • "it's a small world" Nursery (name change and remodel from Flounder's Reef)
Pool Deck:
  • Twist'n'Spout water slide
  • Dory's Reef splash zone for toddlers
  • AquaLab interactive water play area for kids and families
Adult Area:
  • Route 66 to be rethemed to After Hours
  • remodel of Cadillac Lounge
  • English Pub "Crown & Fin Pub" to replace Diversions will include elements of all Disney films that have a connection with England
  • all-new night club "Azure" to replace WaveBands will include design elements inspired by underwater animal and plant life
Spa:
  • reimagined and renamed to Senses Spa & Salon (from Vista Spa & Salon)
  • addition of Chill Teen Spa
Other:
  • D Lounge (remodel of Studio Sea) will lose the port side entrance
  • Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique to be added to deck 10 forward like on Magic
  • new Frozen Stage Show to replace Toy Story the Musical
  • more connecting staterooms
  • addition of staterooms in the former Edge area
  • renaming of shops to align with names on the Magic
  • addition of a "Shutters Portrait Studio" between Shutters and D Lounge (former port side entrance of D Lounge)
  • new chandelier in atrium
  • Ariel statue has been moved to the side, one staircase removed
  • Addition of duck tail like Disney Magic (with the opening of the new locks for the Panama Canal in June 2016 the length of the Disney Wonder should not be an issue anymore for relocating between Alaska and Caribbean)
Open Questions/Rumors:
  • Addition of a concierge lounge and if so, where? (likely according to deck plans this will go into part of the Outlook Cafe) looks like an outdoor seating area has been added to the top of Outlook Cafe
  • According to the deck plans only part of the Outlook Cafe will remain as Cove Cafe, the middle and one side will be turned over into the Concierge Lounge.
  • Addition of a candy and ice cream shop like on the Dream?
  • Addition of a bigger water slide like Aquadunk on the Magic? According to deck plans this will not happen
  • Remodeling of shops like on Disney Magic? (likely since they will be renamed the same way)
With regard to the open questions it is currently difficult to know whether certain things will not be done on the Wonder or if DCL just keeps some things quiet right now to reveal them later.

Links to more Information:

Disney Parks Blog Announcement June 2
Unofficial Disney Cruise Line Blog commentary on the June 2 announcement
Disney Parks Blog Frozen Musical Announcement August 3
Unofficial Disney Cruise Line Blog article on information from new deck plans August 30
Unofficial Disney Cruise Line Blog article on preparations on Wonder for dry dock September 11
Disney Parks Blog: The Influence of Nordic Culture in ‘Frozen, A Musical Spectacular’ September 15
Unofficial Disney Cruise Line Blog article on Wonder Arrival in Cadiz September 18
Disney Parks Blog: Disney Wonder Gets Ready to Premiere New Experiences This Fall - September 26
Disney Parks Blog: Bringing ‘Frozen’ Friends to Life in ‘Frozen, A Musical Spectacular’ - September 28
Disney Parks Blog: The Significance of Doors in ‘Frozen, A Musical Spectacular’ - October 12
Disney Parks Blog Post: New Spaces In Store for Adults on the Disney Wonder - October 14
Disney Parks Blog: Character Interactions Take Center Stage in New Youth Activities Aboard the Disney Wonder - October 18
USA Today Video on Wonder Refurb - October 24

Disney Cruise Line page on Wonder Refurb
Disney Cruise Line page on Frozen

Last edited:
I wonder if the re-imagined Senses Spa will have jaccuzis?

I don't think there is space for it. On the Magic they only redid the entrance area. No refurb of the rainforest room. But it is an interesting question, I will add it to the unanswered questions.

(This is my post I had posted elsewhere yesterday!)

I just got off the phone with DCL and they provided an abundance of great information.

New activities for the 2016 Merry Time cruises will be released soon.

The folks who will be going on the Wonder in November and December may have quite the adventure booking certain bookings such as Bippity Boppity because those openings will be booked while the Wonder is in dry dock and they are hoping to have those new accommodations in their system before then!

Additionally, they do not have dining rotations in place yet either because of the addition of Tiana's Place.

She also mentioned that the new changes taking on the Wonder have not shown on their system for those November and December sailings and future sailings.

Lastly, there should be more new announcements regarding the re-imagining of the Wonder in the next couple of months. (I asked about the Concierge Lounge and aqua dunk/duck and she mentioned that they at DCL were very surprised that the two were not mentioned in the announcement).

So, we shall see.

Happy Sailings!

LikeShow more reactions
Com

As far as the Aqua duck goes....Until the new locks on the Panama canal are operational the slide will have to wait, unless they use a much lighter installation than that of the Magic. The additional top hamper requires the engineers to the lengthen the ship with a "sugar scoop" on the rear of the vessel. Currently the Wonder is the only DCL ship that can fit through the Canal.

As far as the Aqua duck goes....Until the new locks on the Panama canal are operational the slide will have to wait, unless they use a much lighter installation than that of the Magic. The additional top hamper requires the engineers to the lengthen the ship with a "sugar scoop" on the rear of the vessel. Currently the Wonder is the only DCL ship that can fit through the Canal.

Good point, I personally had forgotten all about the canal. Any idea when those new locks are set to be done by chance?

There was a lot of chatter among the Wonder employees about the changes!! They confirmed that a "duck tail" is being added to the Wonder. And we met one of the new BBB cast members...she loved my daughter and gave her a Magical Moments certificate. She is very excited to be opening the new BBB.

We can't wait! we sail in Jan 2017. I'm hoping some of the "older" charm remains (from what i have read about) but I am happy the kid areas are being redone!

There was a lot of chatter among the Wonder employees about the changes!! They confirmed that a "duck tail" is being added to the Wonder. And we met one of the new BBB cast members...she loved my daughter and gave her a Magical Moments certificate. She is very excited to be opening the new BBB.

You can't believe all that the employees tell you. My assistant waiter on this years WBPC told me they were definitely going with Cariocos on the Wonder. This just days before the announcement of the Tianas restaurant. But I do believe they will install the ducktail even without the addition of the slide. It is simply needed for stabilization in the rougher waters of the Caribbean.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter