Disney Wonder Alaska past cruisers...I NEED YOUR Input!

Which Hop on Hop off company would you recommend? The Big Bus or the Vancouver Trolley?
I have used neither services for my travels. But I can see why they are popular for those not comfortable with $10 public transit day pass. I'll let others share their experiences and preferences.

Looking at the two services route maps.. both are $45 for two days... Vancouver Trolley gets my vote as it goes to more places like around Stanley Park. Big bus offers a live map so you know when to be at your stop for pickup. Then again are you willing to pay for data roaming to take advantage of the service.
Note, both offer a stop outside Granville Island.

We are also on the Aug 31st cruise. This is our second Alaska cruise, we went last June on the Wonder. There was so much to do and we felt we missed a lot, so repeat!

My favorite excursion was the flight to Taku Lodge, highly recommended... It was the only place we saw a bear since it was too early for the Salmon to be running. However the smell of freshly grilled Salmon brought them out of the woods. Best grilled Salmon I have ever had.

Come join our meet thread !

http://www.disboards.com/threads/amazing-alaska-august-31-2015.3257961/page-4

I have used neither services for my travels. But I can see why they are popular for those not comfortable with $10 public transit day pass. I'll let others share their experiences and preferences.

Well then, if you don't mind I'll ask more about public transit. We're staying at the Hampton Inn and from the looks of it the nearest sky train station is about a mile away. That leaves us with public buses. What is your opinion on those? Are they safe? Reliable? What is the clientele like? I only ask because buses in many American cities don't always attract the best clientele.

Well then, if you don't mind I'll ask more about public transit. We're staying at the Hampton Inn and from the looks of it the nearest sky train station is about a mile away. That leaves us with public buses. What is your opinion on those? Are they safe? Reliable? What is the clientele like? I only ask because buses in many American cities don't always attract the best clientele.

As I live in the US for half of each year, the thing I treasure about riding Vancouver buses is the way riders of all ages, almost without exception, thank the driver as they exit the bus. I feel the clock has rolled back to a time when civility was the norm. I think you will find this characteristic of your encounters with the people of Vancouver.

Hi Guys,

I would love to hear from you how your Alaska cruise went. I found just a couple of reviews available. I am sailing August 2015 and we will be two Couples. We had cruise with Disney before but never to the Alaska itinerary.

What would be you "Must-Do" that only Alaska can offer?

Thanks a lot!

Are you really active? We did the Level 3 Heli Hike with ice climbing in Juneau and it was amazing! They also have a level 1 and 2 if the ice climbing intimidates you, but I was so glad we did the one with the ice climbing/repelling. We also did the Denver Valley Hike in Skagway and had a very motivated group and we made it super far into the Valley-I would highly recommend that activity also.

To clarify... which Hampton Inn are you at?
  • Is it the one across the from stadium? Transit is not bad at that location.
  • If the one by the airport? I would be making alternate reservations.
As scm states.... Vancouver transit if generally safe. You see women on the buses at all hours. You see people using their smartphones on the transit (watch out for Apple Pickers!). Vancouver does have crime, so don't make yourself a target (keep valuables hidden). You might see more Vancouverites off their medication around Hastings.

Yes there are pan handlers around tourist sites if they make you uncomfortable. Don't be fooled... Vancouver does offer housing and food for these people.
https://www.vch.ca/media/Free-Low-Cost-and-Community-meals-in-Vancouver-final-May-1-2013.xls

Around downtown... it's relatively compact and you can nearly walk everywhere within 20 or 30 minutes. In heavy traffic (eg Robson), you might find walking is faster than buses or the taxi.

To clarify... which Hampton Inn are you at?
  • Is it the one across the from stadium? Transit is not bad at that location.
  • If the one by the airport? I would be making alternate reservations.
You are so helpful! Thank you for your advice so far. :) We are staying at the Hampton near the stadium. For transit, I gather there are bus stops near by? Are there lots of taxis around the stadium during the day? We will be there during the FIFA tourney so I hope so. Would it be a good idea to take a taxi to Canada Place to catch free shuttles to either the suspension bridges or Grouse Mountain? Once again thank you for your time and input. This truly helps us plan the perfect vacation.

Transit options around the Hampton Downtown
  • Stadium Skytrain station (5 minutes North)
  • Buses West stop at the library on Robson is 3 minutes away
  • Buses South stop on Cambie is 2 minutes away
Unless it's Friday or Saturday night... lots of taxi's downtown. If you don't see one, set Yellow cab dispatch on your speed dial for a vehicle minutes away.... 604-681-1111

Getting to Grouse shuttle options...
If you are not walking for the shuttle... some may choose to take public transit all the way to Grouse Mountain
Anyone getting up early to have breakfast with the Bears?
https://www.grousemountain.com/products/breakfast-with-the-bears

I did whale watching in Juneau. And saw Orca whales. That was absolutely amazing. The buffet at the court was alright. We mainly just ate in the cafe every day (B,L and D). The coolest part of the whole trip was seeing Malificent as a midnight premiere... We were officially the first place to hit midnight in North America!!! So cool!!!

With the taxes the locals pays.... yep transit is great compared to other cities I've travelled to. Downtown transit frequency is excellent compared to the rest of the city.
Grouse vs Bridge first?
  1. Get on the shuttle to Grouse first from Canada Place. Enjoy the a few hours on the mountain top (lumberjack show, bears, birds, theatre in the sky, food?)
  2. When coming back, there is an optional stop at the Bridge... no need to return to Canada Place (confirm with Grouse shuttle driver). This can save you a few hours trying to return to the bridge on a second bridge shuttle from downtown, especially if there there is a two or three shuttle wait.
  3. When you finish the bridge, return on the Bridge shuttle and ask to be dropped off at Stanley park if the day is still young. Check out the aquarium and/or railway.
If you try to do the Bridge first (rain? low-cloud over Grouse? pollution?), trying to catch the overloaded Grouse shuttle is near impossible from the Bridge. Public transit is not much help... I would be calling for a cab.

Hastings to Granville Island? The #50 will get you there http://infomaps.translink.ca/Route_Diagrams/100/r050.pdf. However, I may catch two or three cabs to maximize your first afternoon in the city. Except for restaurants, I think much of the island shuts down around 6pm.

Which hop on service are you using? I think some serve Granville Island.

Did you say 10 of you? I would call ahead to a premium Chinese restaurant to see if there is a lonely King crab that wants to meet you. Ginger? Garlic? Spicy? Deepfried? Baked? All of the above to the same crab? Forget the frozen stuff in Alaska, Vancouver will bring you the squirming animal for pictures before your feast!
http://www.followmefoodie.com/2014/04/dynasty-seafood-restaurant-alaskan-king-crab-dinner-vancouver/

Thanks!!!!

As I live in the US for half of each year, the thing I treasure about riding Vancouver buses is the way riders of all ages, almost without exception, thank the driver as they exit the bus. I feel the clock has rolled back to a time when civility was the norm. I think you will find this characteristic of your encounters with the people of Vancouver.

That sounds awesome!

Are you really active? We did the Level 3 Heli Hike with ice climbing in Juneau and it was amazing! They also have a level 1 and 2 if the ice climbing intimidates you, but I was so glad we did the one with the ice climbing/repelling. We also did the Denver Valley Hike in Skagway and had a very motivated group and we made it super far into the Valley-I would highly recommend that activity also.

Yes, I am...Ive been having troubles with my internet service in the last month...but I am and I appreciate all the info!

did you book yours through Disney or independent tour?

Transit options around the Hampton Downtown
  • Stadium Skytrain station (5 minutes North)
  • Buses West stop at the library on Robson is 3 minutes away
  • Buses South stop on Cambie is 2 minutes away
Unless it's Friday or Saturday night... lots of taxi's downtown. If you don't see one, set Yellow cab dispatch on your speed dial for a vehicle minutes away.... 604-681-1111

Getting to Grouse shuttle options...
If you are not walking for the shuttle... some may choose to take public transit all the way to Grouse Mountain
Anyone getting up early to have breakfast with the Bears?
https://www.grousemountain.com/products/breakfast-with-the-bears

OMG!!!! You are awesome!!!! I am saving all this info....And my hubby will DIE with the breakfast with the bears...need to check that one out and see if I can include it in our budget!

OMG!!!! You are awesome!!!! I am saving all this info....And my hubby will DIE with the breakfast with the bears...need to check that one out and see if I can include it in our budget!
Remember... you are having breakfast with the bears.... your kids are NOT feeding dad to the bears...

Because the feeding times appears to be 8:30am... you want to catch a cab in the morning for the event as the shuttles don't run that early and public transit needs extra time to get there. You can ride the free shuttles back to Capilano or downtown.

I cruised last year - Sept. 1-8. Here is a link to my trip report:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/a-...ce-alaska-sept-1-7-photo-links-fixed.3333646/

We had great weather, awesome excursions, and it was one of the best weeks of our life! As has already been mentioned, you will not be disappointed in a whale watching excursion. I recommend going on a smaller vessel though. Another passenger on our cruise went on a disney chartered whale watching tour, and the boat was so full she couldn't even get her camera out to snap any shots. She was very disappointed. I recommend Harv and Marv's whale watching tour. They have small boats and you get up close and personal views. We had the best time! Saw breaches and spy hopping. It was absolutely amazing. I can't recommend that excursion enough. My trip report has a link to a video that our captain took on that tour. You can see me in that video...long hair and black jacket. It is worth the watch. :) The whale was hopping up and down right next to our boat. It was so cool!

In Skagway we opted to skip the train. There were mixed reviews on how boring it was etc... and for the cost I just decided on a cheaper option. We booked Dyea Dave. He has a small locally owned company that takes bus tours up into the yukon. You follow the same route as the train, except in a small bus. The windows are huge so you can get great pictures on the way there and back, and they will stop any time you want to for the most part. We had tons of picture stops. They have a website you can check out as well. Google will get you there. For the two of us it was close enough to a car rental price that we chose the tour. If we had our kids with us, a car rental would have been a cheaper option. I was trying to save money however I could. All the amazing ports of call add up when you want to do an excursion in each one.

We also did the Deadliest Catch Aleutian Ballad tour in Ketchikan. It was fun...very educational. Kids would love this tour. As a bonus we even saw a whale on this excursion. Kind of expensive for what it is...but I don't regret it.

I only wish we could have afforded an excursion to see bears. One of our table mates booked a bear watching excursion...and they didn't see one bear. So, that made me feel better that I didn't put down the money on that. The bear viewing excursions were expensive from what I could find. Maybe the right time of year isn't early Sept. to see bears.

Have fun! I think no matter what you do, this will be an AMAZING cruise. I loved every second of it! We saw dahl porpoises from the deck of the ship. Many people saw whales, but we never did...so I was really glad we booked the whale watching tour. I wish we'd seen some orcas...but they were hiding that week. :) You will love it!

I cruised last year - Sept. 1-8. Here is a link to my trip report:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/a-...ce-alaska-sept-1-7-photo-links-fixed.3333646/

We had great weather, awesome excursions, and it was one of the best weeks of our life! As has already been mentioned, you will not be disappointed in a whale watching excursion. I recommend going on a smaller vessel though. Another passenger on our cruise went on a disney chartered whale watching tour, and the boat was so full she couldn't even get her camera out to snap any shots. She was very disappointed. I recommend Harv and Marv's whale watching tour. They have small boats and you get up close and personal views. We had the best time! Saw breaches and spy hopping. It was absolutely amazing. I can't recommend that excursion enough. My trip report has a link to a video that our captain took on that tour. You can see me in that video...long hair and black jacket. It is worth the watch. :) The whale was hopping up and down right next to our boat. It was so cool!

In Skagway we opted to skip the train. There were mixed reviews on how boring it was etc... and for the cost I just decided on a cheaper option. We booked Dyea Dave. He has a small locally owned company that takes bus tours up into the yukon. You follow the same route as the train, except in a small bus. The windows are huge so you can get great pictures on the way there and back, and they will stop any time you want to for the most part. We had tons of picture stops. They have a website you can check out as well. Google will get you there. For the two of us it was close enough to a car rental price that we chose the tour. If we had our kids with us, a car rental would have been a cheaper option. I was trying to save money however I could. All the amazing ports of call add up when you want to do an excursion in each one.

We also did the Deadliest Catch Aleutian Ballad tour in Ketchikan. It was fun...very educational. Kids would love this tour. As a bonus we even saw a whale on this excursion. Kind of expensive for what it is...but I don't regret it.

I only wish we could have afforded an excursion to see bears. One of our table mates booked a bear watching excursion...and they didn't see one bear. So, that made me feel better that I didn't put down the money on that. The bear viewing excursions were expensive from what I could find. Maybe the right time of year isn't early Sept. to see bears.

Have fun! I think no matter what you do, this will be an AMAZING cruise. I loved every second of it! We saw dahl porpoises from the deck of the ship. Many people saw whales, but we never did...so I was really glad we booked the whale watching tour. I wish we'd seen some orcas...but they were hiding that week. :) You will love it!

Thanks, Becca! we are excited as it is on our bucket list for a long time!

We are between Harv and Marv's and rumrunners for our whale watching tour. I am glad that you recommended Harv because I had a lot of recommendation for the rumrunners so now I can compare better! We are trying to save too...and we have had good experiences with 3rd parties booking before so we are not afraid to book as long as we can verified them! :D We will be 4 adults, so probably a car could be better...

we don't have anything yet for the Ketchikan...nothing pops for us...so maybe we will look for a good place to eat (you know recommended by locals and such) and spend the rest in the other two thing we really want to do

Has anyone used Viator to book any of their excursions? We are looking at the Misty Fjord sea plane excursion in Ketchikan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter