Disney Withdrawal Survival Guide: An Oct 2013 PTR - Soundtrack Included- NEW 08/27

Soundtrack: The Best Hunter around...

Lesson Number 6: Brag about ADRs

The Disney Withdrawal sufferer's quest for Advance Dining Reservations is quite similar to the hunters quest for the perfect kill. Preparing for the hunt is a large part of the experience but the best part is returning home with your trophies.

I got up early last Tuesday to be in the best position for ADR hunting. As the sun appeared on the horizon and 7:00AM (Atlantic Standard Time) appeared on my clock, my hands started to work. Booking ADR after ADR, printing the confirmaton number as I went. Sweat pouring from my brow as I worried about the rarer beasts such as the famous Cinderellus or the elusive Ohanasaur or even the newly discovered Beourguestosaurus. The hunt however was fruitful and I was able to present my lady with beautiful confirmation number trophies. :rolleyes1

So without further ado, here are the results from my ADR hunt.

Day 1:

First ADR that I booked because I thought that my split stay would prevent me from booking later dates.

but just for fun I tried to book for Day 3 and it worked!

Day 4:

Day 5:

This is a new addition that I booked as I was going through my list. Might be a fun way of ending our trip.

Day 6:

et voilà! That is where I will be eating in over 175 days haha. No food pictures for now since I am starving haha.

Anyone else participate in the great ADR hunt? What restaurant do you book first when the system opens? What do you guys think is the most prized reservation?

well done on the successful ADR hunt! Right now BoG seems to be the hard one - that was the one I knocked out first. The novelty of the newness and atmosphere really seems to be driving the desire there. Behind that comes the usual suspects of CRT and Le Cellier.

You'll love Rose & Crown - their cheese plate is TDF!

Great job on the ADR hunt! You got some great ones!!!

My window opens in 12 days!

Glad to hear about the split st & the ability to book past it. I was wondering about that since I am in the same situation and was hoping to book my entire trip on the first day (which is just a short stay at BC for the 1/2).

I still think I'll just suck it up and do the line for lunch for Be OUr Guest, vs the sit down wait.

Great hunting!!! Your ADR confirmation trophies are wonderful!

We already have 3 booked (actually we booked them as soon as the 180 day mark hit).

Since we are taking our princess: granddaughter princess: (1 1/2 years old), may I present for our dining pleasure (mostly hers).....

Breakfast at Crystal Palace

Lunch at Hollywood and Vine

Dinner somewhere at OKW resort (the other set of grandparents made that reservation, so I'm not exactly sure where it is)

My favorite places to make ADRs are:

Teppan Edo and Chefs de France

well done on the successful ADR hunt! Right now BoG seems to be the hard one - that was the one I knocked out first. The novelty of the newness and atmosphere really seems to be driving the desire there. Behind that comes the usual suspects of CRT and Le Cellier.

You'll love Rose & Crown - their cheese plate is TDF!

I'm surprised at the change I've seen in ADR availability since my first trip. The Unofficial Guide used to have a whole chapter on reserving for CRT (I don't know if they still do) but all I had to do was log on and book it. I easily got an 8:05 reservation. I definitely focused on BOG.

Not sure if we'll actually use our R&C reservation. It'll depend on what is being offered in terms of special events for F&W and if we get the chance to try out all we want from the kiosks. That being said, there are a lot of tasty looking choices.

Great job on the ADR hunt! You got some great ones!!!

My window opens in 12 days!

Glad to hear about the split st & the ability to book past it. I was wondering about that since I am in the same situation and was hoping to book my entire trip on the first day (which is just a short stay at BC for the 1/2).

I still think I'll just suck it up and do the line for lunch for Be OUr Guest, vs the sit down wait.

Yeah, I was surprised that I was able to book for the full trip but it sure made things easier. What are you hoping to get for ADRs?

Great hunting!!! Your ADR confirmation trophies are wonderful!

We already have 3 booked (actually we booked them as soon as the 180 day mark hit).

Since we are taking our princess: granddaughter princess: (1 1/2 years old), may I present for our dining pleasure (mostly hers).....

Breakfast at Crystal Palace

Lunch at Hollywood and Vine

Dinner somewhere at OKW resort (the other set of grandparents made that reservation, so I'm not exactly sure where it is)

My favorite places to make ADRs are:

Teppan Edo and Chefs de France
Thanks!

I love Crystal Palace breakfast. The Pooh puffs where ridiculously sugary, yet delicious. I'm almost sad to be heading to CRT instead on our last day. We've done H&V breakfast (got a few weird looks haha) but never lunch. I think I've heard good reviews about dining at OKW, isn't that where Olivia's is?
Oh and Teppan Edo is awesome, loved the experience, haven't tried Chef's yet.

Soundtrack: Making Memories

Just a quick explanation. I've decided to categorize post as Lessons and Tips. Lessons are post about our trip planning and our journey towards Disney World. Tips are ways that Jess and I use to make time go by faster and help calm our Disney cravings.

Tip Number 2: Making Memories Earlier

One important part of making the magic of disney last when you are at home is to document the journey leading up to your trip.I think that is something that most of us understand and appreciate since we are sharing it with each other through Pre trip reports/Trip reports on the Dis.

I have ZERO skills with a pen and paper (hence why I am going to be a doctor, my hand writing rivals that of my 5 year old cousin) so scrapbooking is not my thing but I love taking pictures and editing them on my laptop. I got my first camera 2 years ago in anticipation of Jess and I's first trip. It was a simple point and shoot camera but I had a lot of fun with it. Now I've decided to invest in a DSLR. I did a lot of research and ended up going with the Nikon D3100.

Yeah we have a fancy camera, but I still use my iphone camera. :confused:

Taking it out for a test drive.​

Their entry level camera. I've had it two weeks and I am hooked. I've been taking it out almost every day since. I've also been reading lots about Disney photography. I highly recommend Tom Bricker's blog Disney Tourist Blog (sorry apparently I can't post link to Tom's blog) for some great pictures and good tips. Tom co-authored a book on photographing fireworks. I'm thinking of getting it sometimes soon. Another blog I found recently is http://www.disneyphotographyblog.com/. They have a great post about starting to create memories early. So I'll be making an effort to snap pics of our Disney prep over the next 171 days.

Yup, I use tags to be able to play along with ADR plans.

Making Tshirts before our honeymoon trip.

Bags where ready the night before.

Mickey Mail is the point where I know the trip is just around the corner.

Saw the passporter guide at Costco. Didn't buy it but felt like taking a pic.

What is your way of documenting your journey towards Disney?

Nice choice in the Nikon ;) it's a really great camera! All the guys I work with have Nikon, I'm the only odd one out.
You seem to get different things on your Disney site than I do! Haha First the countdown with the list of what to do and when that I commented on previously (still can't find that! lmao) and this:

Granted I have no ADRs on my account yet but still. Hmmm... I have to go exploring.

My way of documenting my journey to Disney is to write a PTR and re-read previous PTRs to remind myself of things I should think of and things that could come up. I also read other PTRs to get ideas!

I'm so excited to find another one of your PTRs. I need to find your disneymoon TR and read how it went.

Your latest trip plans sound fantastic. I am super jealous, so I will have to live vicariously through your PTR and TR.
Name: Ashley
Number of visits to WDW: 5
If you could only visit one attraction: Does the monorail count as an attraction?
If youcould only visit one restaurant: Boma
If you could only meet one character: Mary Poppins
If you could stay at any resort: The Poly
If you could only eat one snack: Cheese Danish
If you could have one drink: Island Sunset
I know I'm a Disney addict because: I cry during the Magic Kingdom Opening Show.

Oh my gosh! You are hilarious. I can totally relate to the ADR strategies... up at the crack of dawn (3am on the West Coast if I want to compete with the East Coasters!) as they open the gates so to speak for the ADRs. It's like the starting line at a race - it's important to start fast and furious.

You have so many of my favorites booked! We will be trying Shulas for the first time in August. I can't wait for that one! Also Rose & Crown will be a new one for us.

Your Disney Itinerary got me motivated to play with my ADRs and park plans. What a great tool Disney offers.

I have a Nikon D3100 but have no clue how to use anything other than the auto setting so it is really a waste since I default to my Sony HX1 9bridge camera) most of the time. My DD has a Canon 4D which is fully manual so I can't do anything with that one either. Oh the worries! :)

I'm looking forward to 170+ days of awaiting your trip with you!!! :thumbsup2

I'm in! Loving your PTR so far! I stopped reading after post 3 so I could post my reply :thumbsup2

I love your intro and think you need to add another withdrawl symptom:
seeing hidden mickeys everywhere! haha my DD's found one in the dogs food yesterday! haha

Name: starbound25
Number of visits to WDW: 9
If you could only visit one attraction: Splash Mountain
If youcould only visit one restaurant: Tony's
If you could only meet one character: Tigger/Pluto (sorry its a tie!)
If you could stay at any resort: Boardwalk
If you could only eat one snack: Mickey Ice Cream Bar
If you could have one drink: Hmm Water? I dont drink haha
I know I'm a Disney addict because: watching other people's Disney videos on Youtube makes me cry! I can spend 2 hours watching "surprise the kids" Disney videos haha

I don't really have a way to document my journey up to my trip. I haven't quite learned the ins and out of working these threads. I had thought about doing a PreTR, but low and behold I haven't figured out how to upload pics. Hopefully by the time we get back I will have figured it out so that I can write and awesome TR.

The only thing I really do for now is keep an eye on my countdown. I have the ticker here, but I also have one on my phone. I would love to post a pic of it saying there is only 111 days, but of course, this ditzy Nani can't figure it out. Maybe by the time my granddaughter is 5, she'll be able to teach me!

LOVE this thread!!! Seriously. Because I am in the middle of intense Disney Withdrawal at the moment. :scared: My daughter is getting married in August and I'm still trying to convince myself that I will have recovered enough from the hit to our savings account a wedding entails to take our usual extended trip next May...this time bringing new son-in-law along. And he is a Disney virgin, so the trip must be Done Right. pixiedust:

I WILL do it! Nothing gets between me and The Mouse. ::MickeyMo

And now for my answers to the mini-quiz:

Name: Diane
Number of visits to WDW: 5 to WDW, 3 to Disneyland
If you could only visit one attraction: Wow, this is tough. Either Haunted Mansion or Pirates, since they are both "classic" Disney rides.
If you could only visit one restaurant: Kona for breakfast.
If you could only meet one character: The Mouse himself, of course. I love Mickey!
If you could stay at any resort: Another toughie. Probably Bay Lake Tower with a theme park view.
If you could only eat one snack: School bread in Norway
If you could only have one drink: PB&J milkshake at 50s Prime Time. Sounds :crazy2:, tastes :lovestruc
I know I'm a Disney addict because: My eyes glaze over when I talk about the park, trip planning, ADRs and I drool a little over vacation photos. And people give me *that* look :rolleyes2 Then they ask me to plan their trips for them. Then I get this look. :worship: I get a little giddy about that.

So, looking forward to more here!! I can't wait to start planning my next WDW trip. It makes me gloriously happy just contemplating it. :goodvibes

Hello! Joining in a little late :wave2: I love your PTR so far and look forward to more... I am a Passporter fan so I enjoy journaling in those books plus they look really cool stacked together on my book shelf. I suffer from Disney Withdrawl alot as well so I will play along!

Name: Pam
Number of visits to WDW: been almost every other year since 1995
If you could only visit one attraction: Never get tired of Splash Mountain
If you could only visit one restaurant: 50's Prime Time, just because you may get a different experience everytime, also comfort food. YUM!
If you could only meet one character: Why, Tigger of course!
If you could stay at any resort: I have never stayed at the Poly so it is my fantasy resort:lovestruc
If you could only eat one snack: two words for ya-Dole Whip!!
If you could only have one drink: Not a drinker so sweet tea for me please!
I know I'm a Disney addict because: I learned extreme couponing just so I can afford to go to Disney more. (so far I can only master mild couponing right now)

Nice choice in the Nikon ;) it's a really great camera! All the guys I work with have Nikon, I'm the only odd one out.
You seem to get different things on your Disney site than I do! Haha First the countdown with the list of what to do and when that I commented on previously (still can't find that! lmao) and this:

Granted I have no ADRs on my account yet but still. Hmmm... I have to go exploring.

My way of documenting my journey to Disney is to write a PTR and re-read previous PTRs to remind myself of things I should think of and things that could come up. I also read other PTRs to get ideas!

I'm really liking the Nikon so far. Took it to my inlaws this week end and I was actually able to photograph the night sky. Not sure why you're not seing the same thing I am. Are you on the new "My Disney Experience" site?

I'm so excited to find another one of your PTRs. I need to find your disneymoon TR and read how it went.

Your latest trip plans sound fantastic. I am super jealous, so I will have to live vicariously through your PTR and TR.
Name: Ashley
Number of visits to WDW: 5
If you could only visit one attraction: Does the monorail count as an attraction?
If youcould only visit one restaurant: Boma
If you could only meet one character: Mary Poppins
If you could stay at any resort: The Poly
If you could only eat one snack: Cheese Danish
If you could have one drink: Island Sunset
I know I'm a Disney addict because: I cry during the Magic Kingdom Opening Show.

Glad you found my PTR. Here's a link to my last Trip Report http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2981600.
Thanks for filling out the quiz :) I think the monorail counts. I find it very peaceful. Jess loves those cheese danishes, I think she is already counting down the days till she can sink her teeth into another one. Oh and I LOVE the opening show, It's one of the youtube videos I watch to keep me sane.

Oh my gosh! You are hilarious. I can totally relate to the ADR strategies... up at the crack of dawn (3am on the West Coast if I want to compete with the East Coasters!) as they open the gates so to speak for the ADRs. It's like the starting line at a race - it's important to start fast and furious.

You have so many of my favorites booked! We will be trying Shulas for the first time in August. I can't wait for that one! Also Rose & Crown will be a new one for us.

Your Disney Itinerary got me motivated to play with my ADRs and park plans. What a great tool Disney offers.

I have a Nikon D3100 but have no clue how to use anything other than the auto setting so it is really a waste since I default to my Sony HX1 9bridge camera) most of the time. My DD has a Canon 4D which is fully manual so I can't do anything with that one either. Oh the worries! :)

I'm looking forward to 170+ days of awaiting your trip with you!!! :thumbsup2

Wow 3am! That is early. I am happy that I am on Atlantic time so it's 7:00AM. (Although some days I need to be at work before 7, so it can backfire). I'm really looking forward to Shula's but I'm still not convinced about Rose & Crown. We'll play it by ear I guess.

The nice thing about the D3100 is that is takes great pictures even on Auto settings. My wife leaves it on Auto and has her fun then I switch it to manual for my camera time (we are learning to share haha).

Here's to hoping that the next 170 days go by fast:faint:.

I'm in! Loving your PTR so far! I stopped reading after post 3 so I could post my reply :thumbsup2

I love your intro and think you need to add another withdrawl symptom:
seeing hidden mickeys everywhere! haha my DD's found one in the dogs food yesterday! haha

Name: starbound25
Number of visits to WDW: 9
If you could only visit one attraction: Splash Mountain
If youcould only visit one restaurant: Tony's
If you could only meet one character: Tigger/Pluto (sorry its a tie!)
If you could stay at any resort: Boardwalk
If you could only eat one snack: Mickey Ice Cream Bar
If you could have one drink: Hmm Water? I dont drink haha
I know I'm a Disney addict because: watching other people's Disney videos on Youtube makes me cry! I can spend 2 hours watching "surprise the kids" Disney videos haha

Thanks for joining! I love your new withdrawal symptom!
Ok so you need to tell me. What are the can't miss options at Tony's? I'm still undecided between Liberty Tree and Tony's for our lunch at MK.
On your suggestion I've sent the last half hour watching Disney video. I especially like old commercials. They can really tug at your heart strings.

I don't really have a way to document my journey up to my trip. I haven't quite learned the ins and out of working these threads. I had thought about doing a PreTR, but low and behold I haven't figured out how to upload pics. Hopefully by the time we get back I will have figured it out so that I can write and awesome TR.

The only thing I really do for now is keep an eye on my countdown. I have the ticker here, but I also have one on my phone. I would love to post a pic of it saying there is only 111 days, but of course, this ditzy Nani can't figure it out. Maybe by the time my granddaughter is 5, she'll be able to teach me!

We really need to teach you how to upload pictures then! That way you can join into our PTR madness. I use photobucket to upload my pictures to the internet. Then I copy the image's IMG link and paste it into the box that opens when you click the little mountain icon when you create a post.

Et voila! You've got images. Try it out here if you'd like. And let me know if I can help with anything else :wave2:

Oh and YAY for 111 days :)

LOVE this thread!!! Seriously. Because I am in the middle of intense Disney Withdrawal at the moment. :scared: My daughter is getting married in August and I'm still trying to convince myself that I will have recovered enough from the hit to our savings account a wedding entails to take our usual extended trip next May...this time bringing new son-in-law along. And he is a Disney virgin, so the trip must be Done Right. pixiedust:

I WILL do it! Nothing gets between me and The Mouse. ::MickeyMo

And now for my answers to the mini-quiz:

Name: Diane
Number of visits to WDW: 5 to WDW, 3 to Disneyland
If you could only visit one attraction: Wow, this is tough. Either Haunted Mansion or Pirates, since they are both "classic" Disney rides.
If you could only visit one restaurant: Kona for breakfast.
If you could only meet one character: The Mouse himself, of course. I love Mickey!
If you could stay at any resort: Another toughie. Probably Bay Lake Tower with a theme park view.
If you could only eat one snack: School bread in Norway
If you could only have one drink: PB&J milkshake at 50s Prime Time. Sounds :crazy2:, tastes :lovestruc
I know I'm a Disney addict because: My eyes glaze over when I talk about the park, trip planning, ADRs and I drool a little over vacation photos. And people give me *that* look :rolleyes2 Then they ask me to plan their trips for them. Then I get this look. :worship: I get a little giddy about that.

So, looking forward to more here!! I can't wait to start planning my next WDW trip. It makes me gloriously happy just contemplating it. :goodvibes

Nice to meet you Diane. I love the idea of introducing someone to the magic of Disney. I get "That" look every so often from my friends but they have yet to ask me to plan their trips (although I do offer). I think they underestimate my ninja WDW planning skills haha. I wasn't a huge fan of the school bread but I LOVED the PB&J milkshake. I read that you can ask for chocolate syrup and make it a chocolate PB&J, apparently it tastes like a Reese's.

Hello! Joining in a little late :wave2: I love your PTR so far and look forward to more... I am a Passporter fan so I enjoy journaling in those books plus they look really cool stacked together on my book shelf. I suffer from Disney Withdrawl alot as well so I will play along!

Name: Pam
Number of visits to WDW: been almost every other year since 1995
If you could only visit one attraction: Never get tired of Splash Mountain
If you could only visit one restaurant: 50's Prime Time, just because you may get a different experience everytime, also comfort food. YUM!
If you could only meet one character: Why, Tigger of course!
If you could stay at any resort: I have never stayed at the Poly so it is my fantasy resort:lovestruc
If you could only eat one snack: two words for ya-Dole Whip!!
If you could only have one drink: Not a drinker so sweet tea for me please!
I know I'm a Disney addict because: I learned extreme couponing just so I can afford to go to Disney more. (so far I can only master mild couponing right now)

Hi Pam, Nice to meet you. It's never too late to join in :)
I've yet yo try the passporter although I contemplate it every time. Splash and TOT are the two rides that Jess and I can ride multiple times in a row without getting board (Dinosaurs is a close 3rd). I laughed at your extreme couponing because Jess tried the same thing a few years back, similar results. Very Mild Couponing. TLC won't be calling anytime soon haha.

Quote: Ok so you need to tell me. What are the can't miss options at Tony's? I'm still undecided between Liberty Tree and Tony's for our lunch at MK.
On your suggestion I've sent the last half hour watching Disney video. I especially like old commercials. They can really tug at your heart strings."

Honestly I love anything Tony's haha
I love the chicken ceasar salad, the chicken parm, eggplant catasta,

For dessert their cheesecake is awesome. They have some seasonal flavors too, the last one I got in Nov was a pumpkin cheesecake and it was divine!
LadyTramp_zpsc5830a2c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This video of these 2 sisters growing up Disney had me in tears! She is a fellow DIS'r
http://youtu.be/SSJ6umV8e2U

:) You make me want to start a PTR but I tried to do one last year and it was a total fail. After a few key posts I feel like I run out of stuff to talk about! Odd because I can always seem to talk Disney haha :confused3:rotfl:

I'm really liking the Nikon so far. Took it to my inlaws this week end and I was actually able to photograph the night sky. Not sure why you're not seing the same thing I am. Are you on the new "My Disney Experience" site?

Nope, I am not! My Disney Experience, eh? I must go and find that pronto.

No, I'm not obsessed with your PTR... you did only update 5 days ago.. I suppose I can wait a little while longer!! :lmao: This is just so darn entertaining! :upsidedow

No, I'm not obsessed with your PTR... you did only update 5 days ago.. I suppose I can wait a little while longer!! :lmao: This is just so darn entertaining! :upsidedow

Patience :P
The next lesson is all about cocktails so its worth the wait haha!

Soundtrack: Spring starting

Spring has arrived and you know what that means....

Flowers are blooming

Birds are flying

Bees are buzzin

and it's the perfect time of year for...

:cheer2:Cocktails :cheer2:

Ok so a drink is a drink no matter where you have it BUT there is something special about having a drink in WDW (Maybe it's the glow cube?). Lately I've been reading an ebook published by a touringplans/unofficial guide all about the Bars & Lounges of WDW. It was a good read but it also made me thirsty. So without further ado here are a few of my favourite drinks (in no particular order).

1. Avocado Margarita:
I know I said that drinks are listed in no particular order but I gotta say that the Avocado Margarita is very high on my list. This one is found at La Cava del Tequila in Epcot's Mexico pavillion and it is a must try drink. Now I can already hear you: "Avocado doesn't sound like a good thing to put into a margarita" and you would be WRONG! There is nothing more right than this drink. Made with El Mayor premium silver Tequila, melon liqueur, fresh avocado, agave nectar and fresh lime juice, served frozen with a hibiscus Himalayan salt rim. It is super smooth and has a light taste of melon. Add a side of queso & chips and you are in for a treat! Great way to start your drink around the world.

2. Triple Yeti Blast:
This is the most colorful of all the cocktails on this menu. This margarita slushy is found in the Animal Kingdom at a specialty stand near Flights of Wonder. This one is made of layers of the three available flavors. It is high on alcohol and coldness but the taste was just ok. It was quite refreshing though (specially since we had just gotten stuck on top of Expedition Everest and has to climb down). We brought it over to a nice seating area across the road with a great view of the Tree of Life and the Jungle Parade.

3. Pina Colava:
Also known as my favorite drink. I've been craving this pina colava mixed with rasberry coulie since I decided to take a gamble on it at Petals (Poolside bar at POP). It can be found at most pool bars across WDW but don't let it's easy availability fool you, this is one tasty drink. It has a perfect mix of sweet and sour. PLUS it can be enjoyed poolside which is always a good thing.

4 & 5 Orange Grand Marnier Slushy and the Lemon Grey Goose slushy:
Some people may be more familiar with their "street" name OGMS and LGGS. Beware though, these are highly addictive and they pack a mean punch. I've been told to wait at least 30 minutes before having another one because they are stronger than they seem. These heavenly twins can be found at a small kiosk in front of the France pavilion. I highly recommend making a pit stop here on your trip around the world.

I think Jess enjoyed it...​

So that is my top 5 drinks that I've tried on past trips but I know there are many many more that I need to try in the future. What are your favourite drinks? Please share pictures if you have some.

Oh and the ebook has a few recipes for cocktails so we'll be trying one this weekend. I'll be back to share our results.

Thanks so much for reading and commenting :dance3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter