Disney Withdrawal Survival Guide: An Oct 2013 PTR - Soundtrack Included- NEW 08/27

Soundtrack: On the Open Road

Lesson Number 2: How to get from point A to point B

As much as I love Max and Goofy's roadtrip in A Goofy Movie, I'm not ready for this kind of drive.

Instead we will be going for a more modern method of transportation.

Click on image for a surprise clip.

This time we booked with United Airline. The reason being that it is the only airline leaving from our home airport and going straight into the USA. Which means that:

A) There is an Earl of Sandwhich in our terminal at Newark Internation airport. I repeat there is an EoS!!!!

and

B) We get to take the ME 3 hours before departure on our way back instead of 4 for international flights.
Which means we can take more time to do this:

Instead of this:

So how do we get from point A to point B?
Well we will need to get our bags ready the night before

Because we need to get into a cab bright and early so that we can make it to the airport

In time for our 6:00AM flight.

At which point we will have a layover in Newark (see above re EoS!)

earl-of-sandwich-sign.jpg

Then land in Orlando at 12:45pm.

Get onto the Magical Express

And finally check into...

The Little Mermaid's Big Mirror by Brett Kiger, on Flickr

AoA? Wait a second! (I know that's what all of you readers are thinking) Aren't you staying at Beach Club? I specifically remember you saying that OrangeJuice...Are you lying to us?

Disney's Beach Club Villas at Night by Tom.Bricker, on Flickr

Well let's just say that I have a bad case of the withdrawals and that when I booked out flight...I added a day! woohoo 5 nights in WDW. Only issue is we can't add a day to DVC rentals. No problem, we'll just do one night at a value resort!

Front Desk of Disney's Art of Animation Resort 061012 by Little_Karen, on Flickr

So that's arrival day.

The depression of departure day will be lessened by the fact that our flight is at 1:30pm. I think that means we need to take ME at 10:30 so I'm going to try to sneak a Cinderella breakfast that morning (8:00AM) to extend the magic.

Then comes the sadness and we should be home by midnight on Sunday.

So that's how we plan on travelling. My first two trips to WDW where by car, the first time with me 7 years old, twin siblings 4 years old and baby brother < 1 years old. The second time we were pulling a trailer. I don't think I'd ever be able to do that. Anyone tempted to drive to WDW? What are your travel plans?

So I'm rather new here, but thought I would introduce myself here. I definitely suffer from DWS.

My name is: FlaNani (because my grandma name is Nani)
If you could only visit one attraction: Rock n Roller Coaster
If you could only visit one restaurant: Tempan Edo
If you could only meet one character: Eeyore
If you could stay at any resort: The Polynesian
If you could only eat one snack: Dole Whip
If you could only have one drink: A margarita from Mexico
I know I'm a Disney addict because: I can't go even one day without looking up something about Disney!

My partner and I are heading back to WDW Aug 25-29, 2013. Can't wait! We are going with our best friends who happen to be our granddaughter's other set of grandparents! So it is all about the grandparents and the princess!

So I'm rather new here, but thought I would introduce myself here. I definitely suffer from DWS.

My name is: FlaNani (because my grandma name is Nani)
If you could only visit one attraction: Rock n Roller Coaster
If you could only visit one restaurant: Tempan Edo
If you could only meet one character: Eeyore
If you could only have one drink: A margarita from Mexico
I know I'm a Disney addict because: I can't go even one day without looking up something about Disney!

My partner and I are heading back to WDW Aug 25-29, 2013. Can't wait! We are going with our best friends who happen to be our granddaughter's other set of grandparents! So it is all about the grandparents and the princess!

Nice to meet you FlaNani :)

I love your choices. Tempan Edo is delicious and a super fun experience too.

We normally go at the end of August, if you don't mind the heat I found it to be a great time to visit. Sounds like a fun trip.

Yay for AoA, but its sad we cant get the lion king suit... Hint hint for our futur trip :cool1: yoi forget to say that we will have our timmy coffee in the morning since its a bring and early fligth!!!!

Yay for AoA, but its sad we cant get the lion king suit... Hint hint for our futur trip :cool1: yoi forget to say that we will have our timmy coffee in the morning since its a bring and early fligth!!!!

You're right! I can't forget out Tim's coffee and bagel routine :) Its the best way to start out a travel day.

I caught up instead of working. You had me at your first post. Funny. Funny!!!!

I totally suffer from Disney withdrawl ALL THE TIME.

And I totally want to do this intro.. so I am.

My name is: Nicole
If you could only visit one attraction: This is very tough. Um. I think I have to go with Peter Pan.
If you could only visit one restaurant: O'Hana for Breakfast.
If you could only meet one character: Donald
If you could only have one drink: Butterbeer. Oh wait. Wrong park. But Universal's got them on this... so I'm sticking with it. BUTTERBEER.
I know I'm a Disney addict because: I spend all my time pricing out Disney trips, making spreadsheets of plans & hyponotising my children into my obsession.

Looking forward to following your journey.

And as a side note- your 'map' of travel shows you very close to PEI? That is like my DREAM trip. I am waiting till my daughters are old enough to really appreciate it & I'm trekking out there. Anne is and always has been my favorite book/character in literature. It's TOP of bucket list to see Green Gables & PEI.

I caught up instead of working. You had me at your first post. Funny. Funny!!!!

I totally suffer from Disney withdrawl ALL THE TIME.

And I totally want to do this intro.. so I am.

My name is: Nicole
If you could only visit one attraction: This is very tough. Um. I think I have to go with Peter Pan.
If you could only visit one restaurant: O'Hana for Breakfast.
If you could only meet one character: Donald
If you could only have one drink: Butterbeer. Oh wait. Wrong park. But Universal's got them on this... so I'm sticking with it. BUTTERBEER.
I know I'm a Disney addict because: I spend all my time pricing out Disney trips, making spreadsheets of plans & hyponotising my children into my obsession.

Looking forward to following your journey.

And as a side note- your 'map' of travel shows you very close to PEI? That is like my DREAM trip. I am waiting till my daughters are old enough to really appreciate it & I'm trekking out there. Anne is and always has been my favorite book/character in literature. It's TOP of bucket list to see Green Gables & PEI.

Nice to meet you. Peter Pan is probably the ride I remember the most from my first Disney Trip (other than Its a Small World cause I cried the whole way through). Butterbeer it definitely good, almost good enough to justify a visit to US just for it :P

As for PEI, I do live very close to the island. We visit almost every year. I'm also a big Anne fan. I devoured the books as a child. I've been to Green Gables, Avonlea village and seen the Anne musical in Charlottetown. Hope you get to visit some day. It's worth it.

Soundtrack: Karma Chameleon

Lesson number three with dealing with Disney Withdrawal Syndrome is...

Change your mind often.

Although booking a trip may cause a reduction in DWS symptoms for a period of time, eventually the high of booking disappears. What do you do then? Well in my case, I start evaluating other options. Maybe we can change our restaurants, add a tour, split our stay, rearrange our schedule or research new snacks...Normally I end up not changing anything. but sometimes...sometimes... I book Pop Century instead of Art of Animation.

To be honest, it wasn't really a choice. I went to book Art of Animation but it was sold out for our dates. I talked to Jess about it and honestly we don't mind POP. We had a great time there in August. That being said, I'm going to continue checking up on AoA to see if a room ever opens up. Maybe around the 45 day mark people with packages will cancel. We never know.

So that's where we are now.

Thanks for reading. Any new readers don't be shy; introduce yourself. I'm looking forward to meeting new Dis friends.

I just giggled out loud about the changing resorts! Too bad though that it wasn't a choice, hope a night at AoA opens up for you!
Is that some type of count down that says 185 to go What's Next? That looks cool!

Hi Orange Juice! Excellent mouse ears! Where in Canada are you at medical school?
Name: Alysa
Number of visits to WDW: Um, lots.
If you could only visit one attraction: Pirates
If you could only visit one restaurant: Crystal Palace
If you could only meet one character: Tigger
If you could stay at any resort: Wilderness Lodge
If you could only eat one snack: Mickey Bar
If you could only have one drink: Pimm's Cup at the Rose and Crown
I know I'm a Disney addict because: We are doing an entire year of Disney Movie nights to avoid despair.
We are going around the same time as you I think. Looking forward to reading more! :)

That stinks that AOA is booked! I'm sure though as you get closer to 45 days someone is bound to cancel!

I just giggled out loud about the changing resorts! Too bad though that it wasn't a choice, hope a night at AoA opens up for you!
Is that some type of count down that says 185 to go What's Next? That looks cool!

The countdown is from the Disney site. They have the countdown and then you can select to check out Tickets, restaurants a few other things. You'll see it when you book :)

Hi Orange Juice! Excellent mouse ears! Where in Canada are you at medical school?
Name: Alysa
Number of visits to WDW: Um, lots.
If you could only visit one attraction: Pirates
If you could only visit one restaurant: Crystal Palace
If you could only meet one character: Tigger
If you could stay at any resort: Wilderness Lodge
If you could only eat one snack: Mickey Bar
If you could only have one drink: Pimm's Cup at the Rose and Crown
I know I'm a Disney addict because: We are doing an entire year of Disney Movie nights to avoid despair.
We are going around the same time as you I think. Looking forward to reading more! :)
Nice to meet you Alysa, I'm at Dalhousie Medical School. What is Pimm's Cup at Rose and Crown? I'm always up for a new beverage. Love your Disney movie night idea. I watch Disney movies often but lately I've been stuck on Dr. Who. We've been watching one (or multiple) episode every few days

That stinks that AOA is booked! I'm sure though as you get closer to 45 days someone is bound to cancel!

Funny thing is, I checked today and AoA was available again. We talked about it and I think we really prefer POP so we won't change at this point.

Tip #1 to control Disney Withdrawal Symptoms.

Bring Disney Home

Soundtrack: Off Kilter Medley

One thing we had to learn after returning from WDW was that we couldn't keep waiting till we returned to treat ourselves. So we purchased this beauty...

To be honest, we had not used it until today. I did try a recipe from online for the Ohana Noodles earlier this year with questionable results haha.

But today we used the book to help us feel at home.

Our supper today consisted of Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup! Miam :cloud9:

The recipe can also be found online on a few websites. http://allears.net/din/recipes/rec_cachsoup.htm but it's not quite the same as the one in the book.

First Step!

BACON and lots of it.

Add Celery and a red onion

Flour and chicken stock

Stir lots to prevent it from burning.

Add milk

Then the piece de resistance.

I know the recipe calls for Moosehead bear but Alexander Keith's is just as Canadian and just as good (probably better actualy)

Place in bowl

We picked up some pretzel bread from the bakery this morning (It was delicious)

Cheers to good team work.

Is it better with a spoon?

Or on pretzel bread

I think it's meant to be enjoyed on bread.

As for the soup, it was good and had a very strong spicy kick that I don't recall the original having. We will definitely try it again and play around with the ingredients till we get the perfect Le Cellier taste.

That's our little piece of Disney for the day. Have you guys tried any Disney recipes at home?

I love the food for POP so it's a good thing we booked there. Also we got a prefered room so we can enjoy alot of pool time yayyy:thumbsup2 That soups was just delicious!!! And the bread.. Oh the bread, it was just so good dip in the soup! I can't wait to actually eat the real thing at the F&W.

Ok so... I've been meaning to make that soup since we came back from Disney!! Dh requests it every once and a while. I need to get on that! Glad your soup turned out good!

We have never tried any Disney recipes at home. I do have a recipe for tonga toast I've been meaning to try!

Name: Missy
Number of visits to WDW: 4
If you could only visit one attraction: tie between Splash & Peter Pan.
If you could only visit one restaurant: excited to try 'Ohana this year
If you could only meet one character: Chip & Dale
If you could stay at any resort: Poly
If you could only eat one snack: Mickey ice cream bar, but this year I must try the Dole Whip everyone talks about!
If you could only have one drink: ??? (I didn't have anything other than dt coke on our trip :confused: )
I know I'm a Disney addict because: My day isn't complete without getting on some Disney related site. And I could watch Wishes literally every night and not be tired of it. :love:

Loving your PTR! Before I forget... where is the picture taken with Goofy and his giant hat? My DS6 thought that was pretty cool. (okay, so did I) I think the Beach Club looks amazing, especially with Storm Along Bay.

My first 3 trips to WDW were with my family as a kid. Last year, I was able to take my son for the 1st time. From that first day, I knew we'd be back!

If nothing changes for us, we'll be there over the same time. We're doing MNSSHP and I want to try to hit F&W at least 1 day/night, as long as my son cooperates.

Looking forward to reading about the rest of your plans!

I love the food for POP so it's a good thing we booked there. Also we got a prefered room so we can enjoy alot of pool time yayyy:thumbsup2 That soups was just delicious!!! And the bread.. Oh the bread, it was just so good dip in the soup! I can't wait to actually eat the real thing at the F&W.

hmmm, how things change quickly eh? Guess Pop wasn't interesting enough :P

Ok so... I've been meaning to make that soup since we came back from Disney!! Dh requests it every once and a while. I need to get on that! Glad your soup turned out good!

We have never tried any Disney recipes at home. I do have a recipe for tonga toast I've been meaning to try!

It's easy enough to make and quite tasty, I just wouldn't use as much Tabasco and worcerstershire sauce next time. Tonga Toast would be delicious.

Name: Missy
Number of visits to WDW: 4
If you could only visit one attraction: tie between Splash & Peter Pan.
If you could only visit one restaurant: excited to try 'Ohana this year
If you could only meet one character: Chip & Dale
If you could stay at any resort: Poly
If you could only eat one snack: Mickey ice cream bar, but this year I must try the Dole Whip everyone talks about!
If you could only have one drink: ??? (I didn't have anything other than dt coke on our trip :confused: )
I know I'm a Disney addict because: My day isn't complete without getting on some Disney related site. And I could watch Wishes literally every night and not be tired of it. :love:

Loving your PTR! Before I forget... where is the picture taken with Goofy and his giant hat? My DS6 thought that was pretty cool. (okay, so did I) I think the Beach Club looks amazing, especially with Storm Along Bay.

My first 3 trips to WDW were with my family as a kid. Last year, I was able to take my son for the 1st time. From that first day, I knew we'd be back!

If nothing changes for us, we'll be there over the same time. We're doing MNSSHP and I want to try to hit F&W at least 1 day/night, as long as my son cooperates.

Looking forward to reading about the rest of your plans!

Hi Missy :) Nice to meet someone else who'll be there around the same time as us. I hope you get to check out F&W.

My wife listens to the Wishes soundtrack when she fall asleep, I love it.

The Goofy and giant hat is at the Orlando Airport at the Disney gift shop. I barely even noticed the hat in the background, all I say was the giant Mickey shaped rice krispy treats (they are my weakness).

Soundtrack: Under the Sea

Sooo we where decided, we knew for sure, 100% no doubt we were going to stay at POP. We even ignored it when I first noticed that AoA had rooms available. We were looking forward to a Cheese steak wrap and a Pina Colava.

But then...Jess read Teekathepony's Trip report...
"You didn't tell me the rooms where amazing" "Why didn't you mention that the showers are like being under the sea" "Her pictures of the Lion King section are amazing, even though I've walked through that section I never realized how pretty it was"

So as you can see (Thanks Wendy :P) I had to pick up the phone and call the most magical call center in the world. (Seriously, where else do you have to fill out a survey for Mickey and get told to have a Magical day.) After a few quick questions (and a request for a King size bed)

Voila!

I refreshed my browser window and the icon changed from POP to AoA

As much as I complain about their website at times, yesterday was very smooth.

So we are back to plan 1. Spend the first night at AoA before hopping over to Beach Club Villa for the rest of the trip. Anyone else been caught by the resort changing bug?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!