Disney Withdraw

riatees

Mouseketeer
Anyone else going through withdraw? I have always loved reading everyones happy stories about their upcoming vacations or their vacation reports when they get home, but lately I have been getting depressed. Due to financial and work related issues we have been unable to go "Home" in almost 2 years. Very depressing, I know! Planning my next trip the day we got home was what always got me through the time in between, now I have not planned a trip in almost 3 years. Just wondering if anyone is in the same situation and how you are dealing with it? I do believe that Disney Withdraw is a real disease and the only cure is to get back there as soon as it is possible. For me, that won't be for at least another year, maybe 2. Sorry if I am bringing anyone else down, not my intention. I am truely happy for everyone that have trips planned and are getting excited to go soon. I know that will be me again one day in the future, it just can't get here fast enough. Thanks for listening!

:) We call it the "mouse flu" at our house. I know exactly how you feel!! My family and I find ourselves constantly talking about it. We listen to Disney theme park music, look at websites like this one and several others, and look through our pictures from past trips. Hang in there!!

We do the same thing. Went to Hershey Park last week and the 2 teenagers in the care insisted on listening to Disney Music the whole way there, my husband was going crazy. I, of course, did not mind.

Anyone else going through withdraw? I have always loved reading everyones happy stories about their upcoming vacations or their vacation reports when they get home, but lately I have been getting depressed. Due to financial and work related issues we have been unable to go "Home" in almost 2 years. Very depressing, I know! Planning my next trip the day we got home was what always got me through the time in between, now I have not planned a trip in almost 3 years. Just wondering if anyone is in the same situation and how you are dealing with it? I do believe that Disney Withdraw is a real disease and the only cure is to get back there as soon as it is possible. For me, that won't be for at least another year, maybe 2. Sorry if I am bringing anyone else down, not my intention. I am truely happy for everyone that have trips planned and are getting excited to go soon. I know that will be me again one day in the future, it just can't get here fast enough. Thanks for listening!

We usually go every year for 3 weeks but this year have been unable to due to both health and financial reasons. Like you I am finding this incredibly hard as I do enjoy planning the vacation throughout the year for the following year and so have missed this as well. I still come on the DIS and enjoy listening to everyone else getting excited about their trips this year and I pick up even more tips in the process that I can add to our next trip. Hope you get to go back to your home resort soon.

I am dying to get back, but luckily we have a trip home planned for the end of October. We did a Disney cruise at the end of January, so you would think that that would hold me over, but nope! We were also at WDW in July 2010, but did not do any parks since we were there for a conference and stayed at OKW, we also went to VB for a few nights afterwards. It has been 19 months since we were "home".

Riatees, I hope you find some joy to carry you through - we all need something to look forward to. Disney's an easy "happy place" when we're feeling down, I found the more I think about and miss it the worse the feeling gets. What you need are distractions... or the opposite, total peace and relaxation.

Even little things can pick us up, and they don't have to be expensive: Plan a hike to a new place, build a kite or cook up a new recipe, look into what the local library might offer for passes to museums (ours has Museum of Fine Arts, Science Museum and maybe even the aquarium). Keep yourself busy with friends and family! It all helps.

Let us know what you found. I'm up for new ideas too :goodvibes

Thank you so much for your advice. Didn't mean to sound like I was totally distraught, I'm just a little sad. You get very spoiled being a DVC member and getting to visit Disney much more often than the average family. I know I am very lucky, I have friends who have never been and want so much to take their kids but can't afford it. I have been doing a lot of local things this summer like Twinklebug suggested. We were given free passes to Hershey Park, The Sweetest Place on Earth! It was a great day, not Disney, but free and a lot of fun. Also I am fortunate enough to live just under an hour from the Jersey Shore, so have made many day trips just to lay on the beach and relax. Just wanted to make sure that I am not abnormal, I should have known there were other Disney fanatics like me. Thanks again.

Thank you so much for your advice. Didn't mean to sound like I was totally distraught, I'm just a little sad. You get very spoiled being a DVC member and getting to visit Disney much more often than the average family. I know I am very lucky, I have friends who have never been and want so much to take their kids but can't afford it. I have been doing a lot of local things this summer like Twinklebug suggested. We were given free passes to Hershey Park, The Sweetest Place on Earth! It was a great day, not Disney, but free and a lot of fun. Also I am fortunate enough to live just under an hour from the Jersey Shore, so have made many day trips just to lay on the beach and relax. Just wanted to make sure that I am not abnormal, I should have known there were other Disney fanatics like me. Thanks again.

It's been 14 months since the kids and I have been down to WDW. Common sense saved me from pressing the button to purchase last minute cash-discount rooms at POR and the Swan all too many times this summer. That's what we have DVC for after all ;) ... Just have to wait for the time to be right.

I wanted to bring my kids down to Hershey this summer, but with work I just couldn't swing the drive down/back and still be functional Monday morning :rotfl: I've never been in the park itself - had the chance to go in once as a child, but it was a blazing hot day and as we stood at the ticket booth my dad bribed my brother and I with $20 to go through the display ride one more time and go back to the campground and swim. $20 was like a million bucks to a kid back then. :laughing:

Sounds like you have been having fun! (well, much more so than I have) :goodvibes

:) We call it the "mouse flu" at our house.

I love that! I think I'll have to adopt that term. I've had the Mouse Flu multiple times. Still haven't found a generic equivalent to the ultimate cure. :)

I'm suffering from the "Flu" pretty badly waiting for our December trip...we went this past May....I didn't know how I was going to make it till our October trip next year...

Solution: Borrowed a few points and heading down in May!

Now I have OKW in dec, VWL in march, 2 night NYC cruise in June and BLT in October!

I hope I can make it through the summer...

Sorry to hear about your situation and hope that soon you will be able to make that trip.

I always suffer the Post Disney depression :) when we return. I feel guilty about it because I understand how lucky we are to have the ability to vacation at Disney about once a year now since 2003. It is always such a thrill to be there, and with all the excitement and things going on, there is bound to be a letdown when you return to the normal routine.

I will say this - I spend as much time as I can just soaking it in while we are there, just realizing how lucky we are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!