Disney website just cancelled my free dining reservations!!!

According to posts 3 and 7,the OP was having problems with the modify button on the website which was why she ended up making overlapping reservations.

Again, not agreeing with making overlapping reservations here, but she did in fact indicate technical problems being part of the cause.

I don't deal with the online system a lot during the crazy popular promotions- and other than I'm impatient ever being on hold, I don't have much trouble with the phone systems either. There are times such as the free dining offer or when BOG was first released that there were huge issues. I'm not sure money is well spent to try and upgrade to a point that there is limitless capability- but I do understand the frustration.

In the end though, the discussion of the quality of Disney's systems has nothing to do with this particular issue. It wasn't a bad system that caused the OP's problem.

I agree, the OP created her own issue.

Now I prefer to call for my ADR's and reservations, but I can tell you from first hand experience, when those systems crash, it is a nightmare. My 180 days was the day BEFORE BOG release and I had a heck of a time getting through. The system was down, it was up, it was down. That day made the next look like a cakewalk. Disney is encouraging people to use their apps and their website so in order to make that happen, they have to beef their current systems up. I had 4 ADR's for BOG, and one was on a day I never even wanted. I had no idea I had them, the system kept telling me I did not succeed.

Many folks had that happen, and I cannto imagine how much money it cost Disney to make calls to every guest who had an ADR, which they did.

I would appreciate Disney making a way that multiple reservations don't happen. Frankly, I said from the start of the modifying button appearing not to rely on it when FD comes out. I could see them allowing it to a point. I've seen people on,y need a second room for half the stay with the same people or whatever. I don't want them to be so strict that it's hard to book what people actually need.

But it's still really hard to feel bad for someone holding FOUR separate reservations for a week. If you don't want to deal with calling that morning and the waits, ok. Call the next day, or in the evening around 9p est. The OP had plenty of time to figure out plans and cancel what they didn't need, but sat on the reservations as a convenience to tinker with flights. Not a lot of sympathy from me.

According to posts 3 and 7,the OP was having problems with the modify button on the website which was why she ended up making overlapping reservations.

Again, not agreeing with making overlapping reservations here, but she did in fact indicate technical problems being part of the cause.

Yeah, I tend to go with the first story someone tells. It was only after there were some not so positive responses that the multiple reservations were due to glitches. And even if that were true, the OP could've cancelled all the extras and she chose not to because she wanted the mulitples.

Because we weren't set totally on our dates yet because I was trying to find the best airfair deal, we had several free dining packages with several overlapping dates.

Had her multiple reservations been due to no fault of her own- I would think that would've been the first thing the OP mentioned. And in that case, bad bad Disney. But that wasn't the reason.

And her desire to get things perfect for her may have well cost other guests from getting anything.

Last edited:

Like I said - I don't agree with keeping the multiple reservations. I'm not defending that at all. I'm sure people do lie on this site, but until they give me a reason to think they are, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Like I said - I don't agree with keeping the multiple reservations. I'm not defending that at all. I'm sure people do lie on this site, but until they give me a reason to think they are, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.

As do I.

Last edited:

And I adore that about you. :)

Please do not edit my quotes the way you have above.

I'm not at all sure what you're talking about- I quoted the portion of your response I had something to say about. Perhaps you can explain what your problem with that is.

Edited to add...I do see what happened there. I'm not at all sure why that did that. I thought I had highlighted the entire comment but it certainly did not come out that way. I'm assuming an error on my part and you have my apologies. I did not intend to edit out any portion of your comments and I will correct it.

Edited to add...I do see what happened there. I'm not at all sure why that did that. I thought I had highlighted the entire comment but it certainly did not come out that way. I'm assuming an error on my part and you have my apologies. I did not intend to edit out any portion of your comments and I will correct it.

Thank you

I almost had mine cancelled too. When I booked I had to get two rooms because we are a party of six. I had to go back in and modify one reservation and when I did, the system messed up the names and I was the primary on both reservations. I called in a couple of days later to fix the names and after 2 hours on the phone they couldn't fix without cancelling. We lost our POP rooms. I was so bummed but we are still at Disney (ASSports) and still have dining. Will keep trying for POP. They told me since my name was the primary on both reservations, in Disney's system I was considered "doubled booked" and if I hadn't called in, one of them would have been cancelled regardless.

Thank you

You're more than welcome. I'm pretty much a stickler these days about quoting correctly and if I intentionally leave out a section of someone's remarks, I include the ... to show that I did it. It's rare that I would ever do that, but I had no reason to do it this time. I'm still trying replicate it to figure out what the heck happened there. Very strange....

I almost had mine cancelled too. When I booked I had to get two rooms because we are a party of six. I had to go back in and modify one reservation and when I did, the system messed up the names and I was the primary on both reservations. I called in a couple of days later to fix the names and after 2 hours on the phone they couldn't fix without cancelling. We lost our POP rooms. I was so bummed but we are still at Disney (ASSports) and still have dining. Will keep trying for POP. They told me since my name was the primary on both reservations, in Disney's system I was considered "doubled booked" and if I hadn't called in, one of them would have been cancelled regardless.

It's one of the reasons I don't make resort reservations online nor do I modify online. If there's a mistake, I want to be able to say I wasn't the one making the changes. I always get the name of the CM I talk to and keep a record. It's pretty much how I handle anything like this- not just with Disney.

We have 2 rooms as well, on a split stay no less and it's the most confusing reservation I've ever done. Ours are usually straight up, we book, we don't change. I wanted to add a day due to a discount opening up and it required changing both rooms- no way I was doing that online and modifying one room, then find out I couldn't modify the other and not be able to change back the first. CM's were great though and now if it messes up, it's on them, not me. :)

Lol...I assume that you were fortunate enough to not have to attempt to call Disney when free dining came out. It was extreme frustration. I tried multiple times and got a busy signal repeatedly and them dead air multiple times. Again, in my opinion there is no excuse for this with a business such as Disney. They knew what they were in for...they offer freed dining every year.

But the dead air time WAS you on hold - the music just wasn't playing. Everyone on the part 2 thread kept saying DON"T HANG UP!!!

I had two identical reservations because of online glitches and phone glitches, I called and they said they fixed it, when I checked online I had three identical reservations. I am on the phone with them again, hoping to end up with one reservation as that is all I need. I don't need them canceling them all since I have been very proactive. Just how I want to spend my Monday but I don't want to end up like the OP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter