Disney was great- but I did not like Orlando

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by Conversationist, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Conversationist

Conversationist Creative intellectual type

I just returned from Orlando Florida. This was our forth trip to Orlando to go to a Disney theme part (this time we went to Epcot) but the first time we actually drove INTO the CITY OF ORLANDO. (As with most tourists to Disney we only had seen the Airport and the road to Disney).

I found much of Orlando to be incredibly run down and tacky. We drove to all parts of town, including all the way north to Sanford. We drove through many residential areas. (Sure there were some nicer areas but a higher percentage of run down areas than most cities)

Here were my complaints about Orlando:

Many people had trash in their yards.

It seemed like every through street was just a mass of ugly strip centers and gas stations/fast food.

Signs signs everywhere a sign. So many ugly billboards.

A lack of nice trees. It seemed like the typical tree in Orlando was a planted palm tree about 10 feet tall that someone planted. A lack of natural forest.

Most housing was designed for lower middle class service workers. Seemed to be a lack of fancy neighborhoods.

Alot of concrete!!!

Am I expecting to much. I am comparing Orlando to Fairfax County VA, (outside of Washington DC)--where I live.

(Yes I know there will be responses from people who love Orlando and will tell me about a nice neighborhood. Every town has a nice neighborhood but I view a town as a combination of neighborhoods).

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. PneumaticTransit

PneumaticTransit Are you the Key Master?

I live in Central Flordia, and completely argree with you. Most of the areas are very poor and run down. You have to keep in mind, the average 2 person household in my zip codes makes $36K a year. Housing is made cheap, quick, and crammed together. Many people seem not to take pride in the appearance of their houses or property. There isn't a good sense of community, and driving through the Kissimmee area is like an old Flinstones backdrop. McDonalds, Wal-Mart, Waffle House, Tourist Shop, McDonalds, Wal-Mart, Waffle House, Tourist Shop. There's no break, it's all the same crap again and again.

Not to mention traffic is horrible, and I'm convinced they don't even plan roadways here.

4. grinningghost

grinningghost <font color=green>Has a thing for the Swiss Family

We once drove through Orlando too and I thought something a little different.

I noticed that their "poor" neighborhoods looked alot "richer" than the poor neighborhoods here. Our poor neighborhoods have mainly old houses that contain 2 or more apartments (or flats). In Orlando, there were alot of what looked like single family homes, and everything was more spaced out.

When you drive through a poor neighborhood here, everything is very crammed and old looking. I'm sure the socioeconomic stats are similar, just the overall appearance is much different.

5. jwill

jwill Hockey playing Fly Boy

As a former resident of Central Florida who moved back to Pennsylvania I agree with what has already been posted. It was interesting to see that I wasn't the only one to see that behind the thin veneer the tourist is supposed to see it's not that pretty a picture. I have said this before and I'll say it again, tourism and the theme park resorts are probably the worst thing to ever happen to this part of the state. They create a huge population of low wage earners that create and pose a huge burden for the state and local agencies especially health care.
    Having said this one is area is not all bad just as one is all good. There are some things I miss and hold very fond from my time there and wish I could combine them with where I am now.

6. *Fantasia*

*Fantasia* <font color=royalblue>Nothing beats a nice clean-c

I guess I drove to a nicer area of Orlando. I was driving around looking for an apartment and checking out the schools. I guess I was in the right neigborhood, cause the area was not run down. I love Orlando! So much going on...so much to see and do there! :love:

7. VampHeartless

VampHeartless DIS Veteran

I've learned to drive through each city I visit a few times before making judgement. I hated DC, Baltimore, and London the first time I visited, but after further inspection, grew to love the areas. Every city has it's upper and lower class; but there's more to it than that.

8. totalia

totalia DIS Veteran

Orlando is just like every other city in the US. There's nothing that makes any city any more special than any other (save maybe for the uniqueness or New York City, New Orleans and San Francisco).

9. Disney  Doll

Disney Doll DIS Security Matron

I would ahve to agree that Orlando is probably like most other big cities. They all have their good and bad areas. I think it may be a bit more congested in some ways, due to all the tourist-type stuff they deal with there.

My general impression is that if I were going to buy a home (whether primary residence or vacation home) in Florida, I would probably go to one of the coats and further south than Orlando. I like to be closer to the water, in general, and in central Flroida, you are not close to the ocean.

10. Feralpeg

Feralpeg Living and Loving Windermere!

I don't think you drove through my neighborhood. Please keep in mind that a lot of the very nicest neighborhoods are gated. You can't drive through them.

11. VampHeartless

They put gates on the neighborhoods??

Whoa!! I've never seen that!!

12. Feralpeg

It is becomming more and more popular. Neighborhoods have gates and guards. You don't get into the neighborhood unless you have a card that opens the gates or are on the guards list of appointments. It's kind of a sad statement of the times.

13. Stepharoonie!

Stepharoonie! <font color=teal>NOTHING is scarier than Wilford B

Please keep in mind as well, we had 3 hurricanes rip through here, so yes....we are missing a few trees. Not "our" fault, really.

Also, our apartment complex is a gated one. ...but it's awful silly because the gate is broken half of the time, and it's always open. However, I know where Feralpeg lives and it's GORGEOUS over there.

14. VampHeartless

Wooooooow....ummm....so, I guess people can't drive by your house and randomly shoot at it!! That's really cool!!

I'm gonna have one of those types of houses one day!!

15. Feralpeg

I really don't want anyone to drive by and shoot at my house!

16. JoeThaNo1Stunna

JoeThaNo1Stunna <font color=teal>Wouldn't steal anyone's milk<font

Also totally unnecessary and a bit racist in some areas where the wealthy like to keep the undesirables out. Not becoming of a nice community.

17. EsmeraldaX

EsmeraldaX DIS Veteran

What on earth does having a gated community have to do with race? I am sure people of all races are allowed to live there, and people of all races have been caught everywhere in home break ins (which I presume the gates are meant to cut down on).

18. minniepumpernickel

minniepumpernickel <font color=FF66FF>DIS Veteran<br><font color=0099

My relatives also live in Fairfax, VA and have a condo in Lake Buena Vista FL too. The Fair Oaks mall is really nice. Doesn't Fairfax have some lower income areas too? Or maybe that was when you get a little closer to DC. :D

I like Orlando, it doesn't seem any worse than some other major cities I've seen like Honolulu and Richmond. the most beautiful city has to be Salt Lake, in Utah. It was so clean, really amazing! :D

19. Feralpeg

Gated communities are certainly not unique to Orlando. I've seen them in many parts of the country. It certainly has nothing to do with race. There is a very nice gated neighborhood close to my home. Tiger Woods, Shaq and Tyra Banks all have homes there. I think it has to do with feeling secure. Sad that people need this, but it is part of living in a big city.

Just like any big city, there are areas that are run down, areas with extremely expensive beautiful homes and areas in between. Please remember that Orlando is a melting pot of people from all over the world. Not everyone values the same things in their homes.

I think a day or so driving around a city is really not enough to make a judgement call on the quality of the city. I'd be interested in hearing what areas you visited. For each run down area, I'm sure I could direct you to a very nice area.

20. Aimeedyan

Aimeedyan <font color=blue>Why get all excited about somethi

My mom lives in Orlando, I think the area she is in is beautiful! It's a good 40 min drive from her house to WDW, did you drive all of Orlando? We drive past Windermere and such on the way, which are GORGEOUS!

Every city has it's ups and downs =)