Disney Visa

frechettegirl

Mouseketeer
Hello, I'm considering signing up for the Disney visa but I notice it has a 50.00 annual fee. I only plan to use it to put our vacation on it and pay it off in 6 months. I think they offer 6 months free financing. And a 200 statement credit... I think.
What are your thoughts?

There are much better credit cards out there than the Disney Visa with much better sign up bonuses IMO. Some people on here swear by the Disney Visa but I'm not a fan and I would never pay the annual fee for the Disney Visa- much better benefits on other cards if I'm going to pay an annual fee.

i just got applied for the disney visa and got approved it has great rewards that benefit me since i love all disney . different credit cards are good for different ppl

yes if you get through disney and you spend 500$ within first three months after activating you'll be credited $200 and if you purchase a disney vacation package (room and tickets) you get 6 months interest free

Hello, I'm considering signing up for the Disney visa but I notice it has a 50.00 annual fee. I only plan to use it to put our vacation on it and pay it off in 6 months. I think they offer 6 months free financing. And a 200 statement credit... I think.
What are your thoughts?
The regular Disney Visa has no fee and gives you 1% back in reward dollars on all purchases. The Premier Visa has a $49 annual fee and gives you 2% in reward dollars on all gas, grocery, restaurant and Disney related purchases, with 1% earned on all other purchases. Typically the $200 offers are by referral or a received mailing only. I believe the normal sign up is $50 or $100. You can see the difference between the cards and all of the perks at www.disneyrewards.com.

There are much better credit cards out there than the Disney Visa with much better sign up bonuses IMO. Some people on here swear by the Disney Visa but I'm not a fan and I would never pay the annual fee for the Disney Visa- much better benefits on other cards if I'm going to pay an annual fee.
thats your opinion and i agree some may have better perks for you, but the disney many have better perks for ppl who visit frequently throughout the year

The regular Disney Visa has no fee and gives you 1% back in reward dollars on all purchases. The Premier Visa has a $49 annual fee and gives you 2% in reward dollars on all gas, grocery, restaurant and Disney related purchases, with 1% earned on all other purchases. Typically the $200 offers are by referral or a received mailing only. I believe the normal sign up is $50 or $100. You can see the difference between the cards and all of the perks at www.disneyrewards.com.
no right now if you apply through disney you get the 200$ promotion
if you go through chase its $100

Thanks for the info. I've had my cards (credit and debit) forever, so I only know what's listed on the Chase site. Lol
you're welcome! and i only know because i literally just went through the process id have never thought there would have been a difference between the two sites

I'm happy that people find the Disney perks worth it; however, I've never understood why you'd want to limit your rewards to the options on the Disney Visa...

I go to Disney 3+ times per year and pay next to nothing due to credit card points and spending bonuses (with points that can be used for flights, transportation, tickets, hotels). I would never sign up for a credit card with a $200 sign up bonus when there are many that give $400+ sign up bonuses- cash is cash it doesn't matter if it Disney branded cash or not.

I'm happy that people find the Disney perks worth it; however, I've never understood why you'd want to limit your rewards to the options on the Disney Visa...

I go to Disney 3+ times per year and pay next to nothing due to credit card points and spending bonuses (with points that can be used for flights, transportation, tickets, hotels). I would never sign up for a credit card with a $200 sign up bonus when there are many that give $400+ sign up bonuses- cash is cash it doesn't matter if it Disney branded cash or not.
You're not wrong, but there are other perks associated with the card that make it worth using for many people (like me).

Although they say you shouldn't finance a vacation, the 6-month interest-free financing is really helping me with an upcoming Disney cruise.

Why not sign up for both??? Signing up for the Disney Visa (with no annual fee) for the $200 gift card sign-up bonus (free referrals can be found with minimal searchig) is a no brainer....we just got two. After I get the bonus it goes in the safe until disney trip time just in case there is a discount I'd lke to use it for. Please list the "many" cards that are offering a $400+ sign up bonus? Thanks.

For us, we like that they are rewards that are dedicated to Disney (although with our Visa Signature Premier, we can use the rewards for flights to anywhere). Other rewards on other cards would likely be spent on more practical things than vacation. Our DV was our first credit card, and our only card until a couple of years ago when we got a Target card. We had always been a debit/cash family. When we first got our DV, I would write everything we bought in our check register as if it was already paid. That lasted about 6 months because I was going through them like crazy. Lol! We charge everything possible and pay it off every month. Some months are only $4,000, and some are $9,000. The ONLY way this card works for you is if you pay it in full each month. Also, many people with a DV have other cards as well, and only have the DV for its park and vacation financing perks. We just aren't those people, and we're totally fine with that. :)

Why not sign up for both??? Signing up for the Disney Visa (with no annual fee) for the $200 gift card sign-up bonus (free referrals can be found with minimal searchig) is a no brainer....we just got two. After I get the bonus it goes in the safe until disney trip time just in case there is a discount I'd lke to use it for. Please list the "many" cards that are offering a $400+ sign up bonus? Thanks.

Quick list: note: these cards waive annual fee for the first year:

Cash equivalents
Capital One Venture- $400 travel credits
Barclay Arrival Plus- $440 travel credits
Chase Sapphire Preferred- 45,000 UR points (including the AU bonus) that can be worth $450 in cash, $562.50 in travel booked through ultimate rewards, or transferred 1:1 to United points
Citi Premier- 50,000 TY points that can be used for $625 in airfare or $500

And why not sign up for both? Because I have several credit cards with Chase already and I prefer to churn the bigger bonuses
(IHG, Chase Hyatt, Sapphire Preferred, Chase Ink (Business card- but gives 5% back on all office supply stores- my Staples sells Disney gift cards so great cash back value), Chase United) Chase will only extend you so much credit, so I'd rather not waste it on the Disney Visa.

I have a DV but, I never understood why anyone would want to charge a Disney vacation and then pay it off within 6 months. Why don't people just make their reservation with Disney by putting the $200 down and then pay Disney once a month (or every two weeks or whatever your personal time period) until you pay it off? They only way I can see why anyone would want to charge it is they have no money right now and want to go right now. It baffles me.

For us, we like that they are rewards that are dedicated to Disney (although with our Visa Signature Premier, we can use the rewards for flights to anywhere). Other rewards on other cards would likely be spent on more practical things than vacation. Our DV was our first credit card, and our only card until a couple of years ago when we got a Target card. We had always been a debit/cash family. When we first got our DV, I would write everything we bought in our check register as if it was already paid. That lasted about 6 months because I was going through them like crazy. Lol! We charge everything possible and pay it off every month. Some months are only $4,000, and some are $9,000. The ONLY way this card works for you is if you pay it in full each month. Also, many people with a DV have other cards as well, and only have the DV for its park and vacation financing perks. We just aren't those people, and we're totally fine with that. :)

I agree that it is nice to have rewards dedicated to travel- I just like the flexibility of being able to use rewards points as FF miles, statement credits, travel credits, or hotel points. That way I have much more flexibility in my travel options. For example, we are looking to bring our then to be 2.5 year olds to Korea and Japan (Tokyo Disney!) or Hong Kong (Disney!) in summer 2016 and we already have the points to book the entire trip for all four of us in economy and are hoping to build the miles over the next year to book the entire trip in business class- we also have the points to book all 10 nights in Starwood/Hyat hotels- this would not be possible with the Disney Visa

Quick list: note: these cards waive annual fee for the first year:

Cash equivalents
Capital One Venture- $400 travel credits
Barclay Arrival Plus- $440 travel credits
Chase Sapphire Preferred- 45,000 UR points (including the AU bonus) that can be worth $450 in cash, $562.50 in travel booked through ultimate rewards, or transferred 1:1 to United points
Citi Premier- 50,000 TY points that can be used for $625 in airfare or $500

And why not sign up for both? Because I have several credit cards with Chase already and I prefer to churn the bigger bonuses
(IHG, Chase Hyatt, Sapphire Preferred, Chase Ink (Business card- but gives 5% back on all office supply stores- my Staples sells Disney gift cards so great cash back value), Chase United) Chase will only extend you so much credit, so I'd rather not waste it on the Disney Visa.

So you meant $400+ "cash equivalents" bonuses and not $400+ cash bonuses as I suspected. For the benefit of the forum members it should be noted that all those cards carry annual fees. The CSP is the only card on your list that gives a statement credit which is essentially the same as cash; the 1:1 transfer is good but, not a good everyday card for me though. I don't use Citi, but I'm pretty sure the TY points can only be used for gift cards and not cash, but maybe not. Travel credits are not the same as cash and are subject devaluation.

If you're churning Chase, then you're already lowering your credit lines after you get your cards. This makes worrying about "wasting" the credit Chase will extend you a moot point. Also, if you're at your limit as you infer, it's extremely easy to free up space (you only need $500) by lowering one of your lines.

As I mentioned previously, it's a no-brainer to get the Disney Visa for the $200 bonus with no fee and only a $500 spend; regardless of how many other Chase cards you have or your churning stategy. Now, if you're not really worried about wasting available Chase credit and are actually concerned with too many hard pulls from the same credit bureau, then that I can understand. With Chase, you're eligible to receive the same product sign-up bonus two years after you initially received it (not when you applied for the card).....plan your hard pulls accordingly.

BTW, something tells me you'll have no problem earning enough points to upgrade those econ tickets to business class!!

I like the Chase Disney VISA because I am a Disney fan but my DH is not, so much. It's nice to be able to justify going to Disney because it's "practically free!" I usually have about $800 that can only be used at Disney. When I lump that in with our Southwest rapid rewards points (making the airfare "free") and not needing a rental car (so ground transportation is "free") it's easier to get DH to say, "Sure, take DD to Disney!" (I kinda don't mention the cost of park passes, LOL!)

So you meant $400+ "cash equivalents" bonuses and not $400+ cash bonuses as I suspected. For the benefit of the forum members it should be noted that all those cards carry annual fees. The CSP is the only card on your list that gives a statement credit which is essentially the same as cash; the 1:1 transfer is good but, not a good everyday card for me though. I don't use Citi, but I'm pretty sure the TY points can only be used for gift cards and not cash, but maybe not. Travel credits are not the same as cash and are subject devaluation.

If you're churning Chase, then you're already lowering your credit lines after you get your cards. This makes worrying about "wasting" the credit Chase will extend you a moot point. Also, if you're at your limit as you infer, it's extremely easy to free up space (you only need $500) by lowering one of your lines.

As I mentioned previously, it's a no-brainer to get the Disney Visa for the $200 bonus with no fee and only a $500 spend; regardless of how many other Chase cards you have or your churning stategy. Now, if you're not really worried about wasting available Chase credit and are actually concerned with too many hard pulls from the same credit bureau, then that I can understand. With Chase, you're eligible to receive the same product sign-up bonus two years after you initially received it (not when you applied for the card).....plan your hard pulls accordingly.

BTW, something tells me you'll have no problem earning enough points to upgrade those econ tickets to business class!!

I said they all carried annual fees- they are also all waived the first year.

Capital One and Barclay apply as travel credit directly to travel expenses (flights, hotels, hotel taxes, park tickets if you buy them correctly). To me that is just as good as cash. I agree that miles are subject to devaluation; however statement credits are as good as Disney rewards cash and more flexible IMO. I'm actually not eligible for Barclay cards since Barclay won't do business with consumers in the state of Iowa due to credit card laws; however, the card gets very good reviews

I've never lowered a credit limit on a chase card- all my chase cards have $20k-$30k limits, except my ink which is $15k. I would prefer to spend as little time with someone on Chase's side looking at my accounts and my churning so I will not reduce my credit limits unless absolutely necessary. I do not know for sure that I am at my credit limit with Chase as I've yet to have to recon a card with Chase; however, there are still several Chase cards for which I am eligible for bonuses(since they churn every two years) that I would prefer over the Disney Visa. For example, I currently have an open United Explorer card; however, the AF is up in June, I'll cancel the card and reappy a few months later to get the sign up bonus over again. If I ever do hit a recon, I'll probably drop my credit lines; however, I haven't had to in 3 years of churning- I alternate with my wife every quarter so the hard pulls don't build up as quickly, if we run out of Chase products we will consider the Disney card; however, we just haven't hit that limit yet.

I would have no problem upgrading just my wife and I, it's trying to pull off the four upgrades and have award availability. I'll probably transfer to Singapore air miles since their rewards chart a little better than United Standard awards. Benefits of Singapore Air are that the big membership currencies (Chase, Citi, Amex, and SPG) all transfer to Singapore so combining sign up bonuses is much easier!

By the way- I agree that the $200 offer is much more tempting than the $100 offer

Last edited:
Good luck BTK. I still think you're leaving $400 (one for you and one for the Mrs.) on the table with ZERO risk/effort by not getting the Disney Visa's, but I respect your opinion. As a datapoint to apply to your situation, "typical" max credit exteded by Chase is around 95K. If you don't have Redbird to assist your ticket upgrade, you need to get one ASAP. You'll find it helpful with your Ink usage at Staples also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter