Disney Visa - Beverage OBC

BradChristian

Mouseketeer
Hello All!

I know prior threads have touched on this. However, I booked my cruise on the dream late last week (We depart March 2nd).

I did it through the DCL website... even though any of the dreams staff would correctly have had me use them. (I think I lost about $100 obc from not using a travel agent... and I had to pay in full so no going back now)

I did however - sign up for the no-fee Disney visa to get my $50 statement credit, and I thought I would get the $50 on board beverage credit (formerly $50 obc if you booked before Jan 1st)

I did not see anything in the booking process and noticed in the fine print that you had to ask for that offer at booking... There was nowhere to ask for that booking online.

Fortunately I called DCL direct and they were able to add it even though it had been a few days since I booked.

She also filled me in on what the credit can cover, and it is drinks only... Food and Drink packages like 'bon voyage' are not covered by it. However - Mixology type classes are.

I'm glad I have it... On my celebrity cruise I had the unlimited drink package, so I think that spoiled me. However - this will take the edge off especially if the drinks really are $10 a pop?

Hope this helps if anyone else if making last minute reservations on their own.

Thanks! Now I think I need to figure out how to spend $100 on drinks package, we do not drink alcohol...I think the kids had one drink the whole cruise...a smoothie or something...what are the options we can spend $100 on..I guess that includes coffee..but I didn't like the Cove Café coffee so likely won't do that...any other suggestions?

Thanks! Now I think I need to figure out how to spend $100 on drinks package, we do not drink alcohol...I think the kids had one drink the whole cruise...a smoothie or something...what are the options we can spend $100 on..I guess that includes coffee..but I didn't like the Cove Café coffee so likely won't do that...any other suggestions?

I do not know what the policy is, but perhaps you could buy some of the Disney Cuvee onboard and then give it as wedding/bridal shower gifts in the future?

There are always fun non-alcoholic drinks too like virgin daiquiris and other mocktails.

Its only a $50 beverage credit... The other $50 is a statement credit towards the balance on the card after spending $300 (which the cruise def is...)

If you order a Soda at the Bar or Theatre... Usually that would be a charge, but those would be covered by the $50

Try some of the specialty coffee's from Cove Cafe perhaps? I agree that virgin tropical drinks are fun too... maybe something that a souvenir glass comes with.

Its only a $50 beverage credit... The other $50 is a statement credit towards the balance on the card after spending $300 (which the cruise def is...)

If you order a Soda at the Bar or Theatre... Usually that would be a charge, but those would be covered by the $50

Try some of the specialty coffee's from Cove Cafe perhaps? I agree that virgin tropical drinks are fun too... maybe something that a souvenir glass comes with.

Thanks! Should have clarified, we have to book two rooms so in the past DV gave $50 per stateroom up to two rooms...not sure if that changed with the new policy or not?

I still want to know how they are going to earmark just drinks to be used up by the $50 OBC. I would love to know how it will work.

MJ

I still want to know how they are going to earmark just drinks to be used up by the $50 OBC. I would love to know how it will work.

MJ

While I admit I'm somewhat technology-challenged, I would think it would be fairly easy to write up a program that basically tells the computer "Here's $50 credit on this account, apply any beverage purchases to this credit". And then, once the credit is gone, beverage purchases just start being added to the balance due.

Thanks! Should have clarified, we have to book two rooms so in the past DV gave $50 per stateroom up to two rooms...not sure if that changed with the new policy or not?

It maybe worth a quick call to confirm that it has been added in each stateroom... but I'm pretty sure if you don't see anything when you get in your stateroom - guest services maybe able to help?

While I admit I'm somewhat technology-challenged, I would think it would be fairly easy to write up a program that basically tells the computer "Here's $50 credit on this account, apply any beverage purchases to this credit". And then, once the credit is gone, beverage purchases just start being added to the balance due.

I agree that the technology is there and probably fairly simple to do, it just hasn't been done that way in the past. Whether DCL will actually re-program it to recognize beverage purchases vs other purchases still remains to be seen.

I thought the "beverage credit" was announced last fall and would be implemented for 2015 cruises. But someone else posted that it's only for those who PIF starting in 2015. I recall a bit of "outcry" from those who already had reservations at the time the change was announced and expected the standard OBC -- so not sure if there was some concession there and it may be a while before we actually get reports from those who have credit restricted to beverages. :confused3

I'm confused about the beverage credit.

We don't usually buy drinks, especially on Disney cruises where sodas are free. And, we never ever order a drink in the main theater - we're just don't drink much. In the end, how are they going to determine what you spent (say, for example) in the gift shop or spa vs on drinks? (And, in the gift shop you don't have to tip!)

Can this credit be used on special coffees? Again, I don't even drink coffee, but dh does.

And, where in the cruise booking, does the Visa "beverage" credit show up?

I'm confused about the beverage credit.

We don't usually buy drinks, especially on Disney cruises where sodas are free. And, we never ever order a drink in the main theater - we're just don't drink much. In the end, how are they going to determine what you spent (say, for example) in the gift shop or spa vs on drinks? (And, in the gift shop you don't have to tip!)

Can this credit be used on special coffees? Again, I don't even drink coffee, but dh does.

And, where in the cruise booking, does the Visa "beverage" credit show up?
Charges are itemized. They know where you made the purchase, and if it was in one of the lounges, it's a drink. If it's in the gift shop, it's a souvenir, not a drink. For example, on our final bill it says "WaveBands - Liquor $13.51" or "Parrot Cay - Glass Wine $6.61" or "Cadillac's - Non Alcoholic Beverage $8.63" (obviously all from one of our Wonder cruises).

Yes, coffee in the Cove Café would be included.

OBCs don't show on the online reservation. You won't "see" it until you're onboard and can access your onboard account.

Last edited:
Would the water bottle package be included? I wonder?

Well the OP said

So, I'm going to guess "no" they wouldn't be included. I could be wrong.

I'll let you know!! Going in May, but hoping someone had tried it before...I don't know if I would call the water bottles a bon voyage package? I thought those were more for wine and things?

Charges are itemized. They know where you made the purchase, and if it was in one of the lounges, it's a drink. If it's in the gift shop, it's a souvenir, not a drink. For example, on our final bill it says "WaveBands - Liquor $13.51" or "Parrot Cay - Glass Wine $6.61" or "Cadillac's - Non Alcoholic Beverage $8.63" (obviously all from one of our Wonder cruises).

Yes, coffee in the Cove Café would be included.

OBCs don't show on the online reservation. You won't "see" it until you're onboard and can access your onboard account.

Thanks for the reply (and over on the other boards, too!).

I'm disappointed in the credit. Like I said, dh & I rarely drink alcohol. And, he drinks coffee, but I don't.

I'll let you know!! Going in May, but hoping someone had tried it before...I don't know if I would call the water bottles a bon voyage package? I thought those were more for wine and things?
Well, yes, the Bon Voyage Package is wine and chocolates. But I'm thinking they mean the food and/or beverage packages you can purchase as an In-Room Gift option. Water packages would be in that category.

Still wondering what we will do with this beverage OBC. What drinks can you get in souvenir glasses?

We paid in full in January and will be cruising this month so this beverage restriction will apply to our OBC. I'm also hoping somebody else is in the same boat and has already returned and can report how it specifically worked for them. If not, I can report after my cruise in two weeks.

My travel agent said as long as we wait until we are onboard and order the water bottles they will be included in the beverage credit just not if you prepurchase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!