Disney villas vs. resort hotel

jlsfagan

Earning My Ears
Hi I am planning my honeymoon for september and I was wondering if the Disney villas are worth getting? I was looking into getting a room at port orleans riverside but saw that you could get dvc points towards a villa. I would like to know what is better a resort hotel on Disney or the villas? Also which one of the villas is the best for the money? I am thinking about getting a studio or a one bedroom. I am staying 6 nights 7 days.

Not a big differnce in studios and regular hotel rooms. The studios will have a queen bed and sleeper sofa(except OKW has two queens) . It will also have a kitchenette. 1 bedrooms will have a full kitchen, washer & dryer and :goodvibesjacuzzi tub

Denise in MI

For 2 people, I much prefer a studio villa over a regular hotel room. The sleeper sofa gives you a living area plus a sleeping area which is nice. If you really want to do it up, then get a 1 bedroom which comes with a kitchen/laundry, king bed and a whirlpool bathtub.

Other advantage at some of the villas are quiet pools in addition to the main themed pool.

Also, the villas, depending on which one you select, can give you a huge advantage in location. I own at BCV and for us, the location is priceless since you can walk to both Epcot and DHS plus it has the best pool on property. The BWV also has the same great location and BLT is on the monorail loop and you can walk to MK. All of the others require some form of transportation to all parks, same as POR.

Note: If you stay on points, you will not get daily mousekeeping in your room unless you want to pay extra. If you stay in a villa on a cash reservation made through Disney, you will get same mousekeeping as the regular hotel guests.

Most of my trips are solo, and I've stayed at both PO resorts as well as most of the DVC resorts.

September is peak hurricane season. Odds are that a hurricane won't come here, but if it does, it's better to be in a resort with interior corridors (like most of the DVC resorts) than exterior corridors like PO. If you are in a resort with exterior corridors, and are confined indoors for the duration of the storm (can be as long as 36 hours) you will be cooped up in your room. Granted, on a honeymoon you might not mind being confined ;) but I know I get restless being confined to a space like that.

With the interior corridors, there may be short time periods where you are asked to stay in your room, but at other times you can walk throughout the resort. Also, with a kitchen/kitchenette, you will have the option to prepare some food in your villa if the restaurants are closed (yes, that happened to us once).

Now, other than the chance of a hurricane, I would still recommend a studio over a regular room. As a pp said, you have a seating area as well as a sleeping area, which makes the room feel bigger. Also, you have a larger fridge, a microwave, and a toaster, for preparing meals and snacks. Studios are a great size for one or two adults, and many of them are in great locations for getting to the parks easily. The bathroom size of a studio is comparable to a regular room.

If you can afford the one bedroom, I would go for it. You will have a king bed instead of a queen size, plus the full kitchen (I love having the full size fridge for beverages and the freezer for ice) and the laundry. Having a laundry in your room means you only have to pack half as much clothes because you can pop a load in any time instead of sitting around a laundromat. I find this especially helpful during hot September weather, when I have been known to change clothes two or three times per day because of the heat. I also like having a free standing shower stall instead of the shower in the tub. September is the one time of year I splurge and get a one bedroom for myself - otherwise, I go with a studio if booking DVC.

There's nothing wrong with PO - but for something as special as a honeymoon, I think I would go with a villa.

As far as which villa, that would depend on what themes appeal to you most. I would probably stay away from OKW and SSR, because those don't have the interior corridors that I mentioned earlier. If you think you will spend more time at Epcot, either BWV or BCV are good choices. BWV is more centrally located between Epcot and DHS, and the boat dock is right at the resort. At BCV, you are very close to Epcot, but you have to walk to either Epcot or YC to catch the boat for DHS. If you are spending more time at MK, I would pick VWL as the first choice and BLT second. The only reason I would pick BLT second is that the studios there are smaller than at VWL - but location wise BLT is closer to MK. If you want to be a little more secluded, AKV is great - it has a very romantic atmosphere and the animals are fun to watch.

If you are looking at using DVC points for a villa for this September(2010) then your only options will probably be OKW or Saratooga Springs. I am not a big fan of either of those resorts because they both are just too big and quiet for me. I prefer to be in the middle of a lot of action.

If you are looking at using DVC points for a villa for this September(2010) then your only options will probably be OKW or Saratooga Springs. I am not a big fan of either of those resorts because they both are just too big and quiet for me. I prefer to be in the middle of a lot of action.

I doubt even this late you will have many options for Sept in a villa.

Denise in MI

We just booked OKW for September. This is what we wanted, so I can't speak to availability at other resorts. I think OKW would be great for a honeymoon. The grounds are beautiful and it is quieter. It is also centrally located, so travel to all the parks.

Forgot to add that I agree with the above poster - if you can afford a 1 bdrm go for it. Huge jacuzzi and king bed!:goodvibes

I am still thinking but... what about the resorts do you guys have any Ideas I am staying 6 nights 7 days? I am also trying to get the meal plan so I want the best place for the best price.

is september free dining for your dates? you may be able to book the deluxe room and get free dining for the same price as renting points and paying for dining (plus i think you get the higher DP, not sure though as we've never used it). Personally i love BWV for the location, we love going to epcot for dinner and spending the night on the boardwalk (BCV would be a better choice if you want the best pool).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter