Disney vacation savings account

You are the master. So there aren't any convenience fees when buying a Target gift card at the Kroger?

Nope, it is free.

To add to my savings, the first 2 times I did it, I went through mypoints.com (2 points per dollar at Target) and got points back. The last 2 times I went through mypoints.com, no points have been added. It has only been 2 weeks since I did the last 2 $1500 sets, hopefully I will get the points for the last $3000 I spent at Target.

So far, so good with the DVA. This is the way I maximize the savings.

• Use Disney Premiere Visa to buy Target Gift cards at Kroger(4x fuel points and 2% back Visa)
  • Order Disney Gift cards on target.com with the target gift cards (5% off red card)
  • Enter Disney Gift cards into DVA ($20 per $1000)

For every $1000 I get around $100 savings in gas, $20 Disney GC from Visa, $20 Disney GC from DVA, and $50 off from Target. Not too bad :thumbsup2

Yes, you can get 5% off at Target.com using gift cards as long as your Red Card is set as your default form of payment.

Where are you getting the 4x fuel points from, just wondering? Is it from Kroger, or the Disney Visa?

Where are you getting the 4x fuel points from, just wondering? Is it from Kroger, or the Disney Visa?

Kroger, it is usually 2X, but I buy the cards when they run their 4x deal.

Update on the mypoints.com thing, I just checked and I have 4,560 points pending. That is enough to get a $25 gift card to Rain Forest Cafe :goodvibes

Nope, it is free.

To add to my savings, the first 2 times I did it, I went through mypoints.com (2 points per dollar at Target) and got points back. The last 2 times I went through mypoints.com, no points have been added. It has only been 2 weeks since I did the last 2 $1500 sets, hopefully I will get the points for the last $3000 I spent at Target.

Ok, how about this: Take the money you spend buying gift cards and put it in your 401K tax free. Then, take a loan out against your 401k to buy the gift cards, and pay yourself back any interest charges!

Ok, that might be a little over the top. I'm taking a Disney Cruise to Grand Cayman this winter. Maybe I'll try to figure out how to profit on off-shore banking while I'm there. :scratchin

OK, back to a useful post. I hit my 120 day mark today for my DVA account and the request bonus link is now active on my account. That was the only uncertainty I had with the whole process.

Ok, how about this: Take the money you spend buying gift cards and put it in your 401K tax free. Then, take a loan out against your 401k to buy the gift cards, and pay yourself back any interest charges!

Ok, that might be a little over the top. I'm taking a Disney Cruise to Grand Cayman this winter. Maybe I'll try to figure out how to profit on off-shore banking while I'm there. :scratchin

OK - this is a first!! Maybe just SLIGHTLY over the top!!?? :lmao:

My strategy is to buy the Target GC's at Kroger when they offer the 4x promo (14% off if you get the max 35 gallons at fill-up). Then purchase Disney GC's at Target.com (5% off). I can't figure out a way to save more than that.

But here is something to consider . . . when you use your Target gift cards to purchase Disney gift cards, you give up the discount you would receive if you purchased other things at Target (toilet paper, cat food, etc). So, if you're using your "discount" to purchase Dis GC's, I think that "opportunity cost" has to be factored in. Unless of course you've already purchased all the necessary staples with your discount, and purchasing the Dis GC's is "extra."

Happy Saturday. Analytical minds please chime in! :)

Jodie

We are six weeks out from our trip. I was successful in paying off our WDW room only reservation in full over the phone using DVA, though CM originally said no. I politely insisted that DVA CM and paperwork stated that I could pay off a room only reservation using DVA, and the account number should be entered as a giftcard. She went off and spoke with a manager and then did it.

I requested our bonus gift cards for our $3,665 spent over five months, which should be $60 unless they only count purchases after 120 days (in which case we would only get one, since only this last payment was past that mark). They only asked if account was open over 120 days (it was). My bonus would be much higher, had I been able to use DVA everywhere I wanted to but I stopped depositing, as I encountered more and more places I could not use it, especially in California (see below).

I still had $712 left in the account from gift cards. Other than initial $10, all contributions has been gift cards purchased at Target with red card for 5% discount. I requested refund as $500 gift card (lifetime max) and the remaining $212 will be refunded back to original giftcards, which I kept for this reason. The $500 gift card is nice because it appears to be the only way to consolidate the multiple $50 denominations sold at Target.

So, for my trouble I saved 5% on my total contribution, using my Target Redcard to purchase gift cards (approx $219) plus $60 in bonus gift cards, for expenditures out of DVA, assuming I get all of them, for a total of $279 or about 6.37%.

I liked the DVA concept and the ability to deposit gift cards, but overall, I was disappointed in trying to use it, and the lack of CM training. It was almost impossible to use at the DLR hotels in California. I was successful using it there for tickets/Annual Passes (over the phone) and hard ticketed events (F! Dessert party) but even then, had to educate CM how to use it as a gift card. If I had a less willing CM afraid of getting in trouble, I may not have been able to use it. I escalated to managers at front desk of both Grand Californian and Disneyland Hotel to use it to pay balances and was denied at both (had also tried doing it ahead by phone and was denied).

At WDW, I had more success using it to pay Room Only reservation off in advance, Memory Maker, and hard ticketed events (MVMCP, TTDP, etc), but still had to train CMs and also know myself to enter as a gift card.

We were in a unique situation of having multiple trips to both coasts in a short period of time, which gave me a good opportunity to test the program, without risking tying up a lot of money in DVA, only to be unable to use it he way I wanted and then potentially wait a long time to get it back.

I'm honestly disappointed to have to give DVA a "D" in California and a "C" in Florida. It was clearly designed for higher priced "packages" from WD Travel, including Cruises. I think you generally pay more for packages than you do going Room Only (plus we usually have APs), so I'm not really their target audience.

I did talk to DVA reps twice and expressed my disappointment. I also mentioned the gift cards, and trying to be more courteous of front desk staff, by not showing up with a stack of 60 gift cards. Both said they received many comments similar to mine, about DVA acceptance and combining gift cards, and it is in discussion. My guess is that it may get slightly better as more CMs are trained, but it won't likely ever work well for me, because I choose to travel "ala carte" and not use "packages" from the Walt Disney Travel Company. The program also seems very weighted to Florida and most of my travel is in California.

I hope my experiences are helpful and of course, your mileage may vary. :)

So I read through this whole thread. My first question is does this account expire in 2015?

It was super easy (but tedious) entering $1000 in gift cards. Hoping it is as easy to redeem.

I entered my credit card information and selected the automatic payments to start a month from today. As soon as my account was set up, I went in and disabled the automatic payments, so I didn't have to pay anything on a credit or debit card.

So I read through this whole thread. My first question is does this account expire in 2015?

That was the info that was started when it was announced. No idea if they extended it out not

Another potential item of note, from what I understand there is a $500 limit on the bonus

I did find a place where it said until 2017 however on a different page it still said 2015??

I opened one hopefully it's beneficial! There's not much on it but that is still better than nothing!

Has anyone verified that they are or are not getting 2% back when they use a Disney Premier Visa card to fund their accounts?

Hate to bring this question up again, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Has anyone tested whether you get 2% back with the Disney Premier Visa? This seems like an easy way to pick up 4%.

Thanks

Hate to bring this question up again, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Has anyone tested whether you get 2% back with the Disney Premier Visa? This seems like an easy way to pick up 4%.

Thanks
I am buying target gift card and entering them into the account

I am buying target gift card and entering them into the account

Yes, I know that. Thank you. But that is not what I am asking.

I'm trying to determine if I contribute $1000 with my Disney Premier Visa, will I get 20 Disney Dream Dollars from Chase or only 10 Disney Dream Dollars?

I'm trying to determine if I contribute $1000 with my Disney Premier Visa, will I get 20 Disney Dream Dollars from Chase or only 10 Disney Dream Dollars?

I would think you would but I don't know for sure

It's been a while since I read this thread but I could have sworn someone did say they confirmed they got the Chase reward on top of the DVA reward.

Well, I read through all the pages, read a few reviews online, and I have just opened my account to start saving for a 2017 trip....my plan is to save 200/month, and I put the goal budget as 4800, but I can essentially save about 5600, though I would book my flights from a different company. I like that I can use this to save the money without having to try to take money out of my account as cash and hide it at my house somewhere and hope my wife doesn't find it.

I like that I can use this to save the money without having to try to take money out of my account as cash and hide it at my house somewhere and hope my wife doesn't find it.

The nonchalant way you said that made me burst out laughing!

I really do love my DVA! :goodvibes

Jodie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter