Disney Vacation Club members should be treated fairly when booking a Disney Cruise

cape_man

Earning My Ears
I am a member of the Disney Vacation Club who joined it back when it was first launched by Disney. I am also a Gold member of the Castaway Club. I was shocked to learn that members of the Disney Vacation Club are being charged more than the general public for Disney Cruises. As I understand the root cause, it is that the contracted rate between the Disney Cruise Line and the Disney Vacation Club is higher than the rate available to those who book directly with Disney Cruises. Further the terms and conditions for those who book through the Vacation Club are worse than those who book directly with the Disney Cruise Line.

I discovered this when booking the 6/10/2017 seven nights Western Caribbean Cruise on the Disney Fantasy. The comparison is as follows:

Direct with Disney Cruise
  • Cost per person $2,609.41
  • On Ship Credit: $200
  • Terns Deposit of $248.22, Balance due on 3/12/17
Booked with the Vacation Club
  • Cost per person: over $2,800
  • On Ship Credit: none
  • Terms: Pay in full at the time of booking
Note: I was taking advantage of a special price that is offered to those who leave a deposit for their next Disney cruise while on a Disney cruise. I was informed that I could take advantage of the special pricing by booking directly with the Cruise Line or by booking with the Disney Vacation Club. However, my analysis applies to those who did not leave a deposit while on a Disney cruise. They would pay about 10% more with the Cruise Line or with the Vacation Club.

On all my previous Disney Cruises I did not have visibility to the fact that I was being overcharged as I used vacation points to cover both parties. This time I had visibility as I needed to pay for one passenger with vacation points and one with dollars.

When I learned that I was getting overcharged for the passenger I was planning to pay dollars for, I decided to look at value for vacation points used to book a Disney Cruise. I discovered that when I used vacation points I was getting an even worse deal. The one passenger that I was paying for with points cost 389 points. I compute the value received per point to be $6.19 (computed as follows: $2609.41 - $200.00 / 389 ). Compare this to a week in a one bedroom at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa in June (same month as the cruise) which costs $2739.73. or 241 vacation points. This yields an $11.37 value per point.

Obviously, where and when you are going matters greatly with regard to the price.

Personally, for a Caribbean cruise, I would look at one of the larger, high-quality cruise lines. Just a quick check with one cruise consolidator gave me prices for Norwegian and Carnival of just over $1000 per person -- in a SUITE.

You need to look carefully at what's available when you want to go, what the ports of call are (they vary widely!) in addition to the price.

Cruises are highly competitive and many of the larger cruise companies offer much more for much less than Disney.

When I learned that I was getting overcharged for the passenger I was planning to pay dollars for, I decided to look at value for vacation points used to book a Disney Cruise. I discovered that when I used vacation points I was getting an even worse deal. The one passenger that I was paying for with points cost 389 points. I compute the value received per point to be $6.19 (computed as follows: $2609.41 - $200.00 / 389 ). Compare this to a week in a one bedroom at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa in June (same month as the cruise) which costs $2739.73. or 241 vacation points. This yields an $11.37 value per point.
Two huge differences underlying your comparisons. You are comparing 7 nights to 7 nights, but you're not comparing comparable accommodations.

SSR is a one-bedroom, one bath apartment with a full kitchen. Nothing more, nothing less.

A cruise cabin (you didn't mention the size/type/deck/etc) is basically only a bed (or 2), but it also includes at least three meals a day, plus entertainment, etc.

You don't get meals included with your SSR stay, and won't get entertainment unless you're very unlucky!

Cruises have always been a terrible use of DVC points.

Sometimes, sometimes not. In general, you come out ahead renting your points and paying cash for the cruise. But there are situations where if you take your buy in cost/# of contract years + annual dues, cruising comes out slightly cheaper on points than paying cash. Most often its slightly or more than slightly higher.

We bought points to go to Disney World. We pay cash to cruise and when we go to Hawaii, stay in a condo in Maui.

Since DCL raises their prices dramatically as the cruises sell out (the earlier you book the cheaper the rate) what they (DCL) does is they contract the DVC member price to be what that cabin could potentially sell for if it sat unbooked until almost the sail date. DCL doesn't play very nice on the playground - they want the maximum price that they could potentially get from a regular cash customer. So if you book thru DVC you're paying the highest inflated rate DCL estimates they could eventually get. You're better off to leave DVC out of the mix!

I booked a 4 day cruise on the dream in a veranda through David's and it cost me about the same if I was going to book only one person through DVC for the cruise can't be beat

IMO Disney doesn't want you to use your points outside of DVC resorts and if you do, you will pay extra for the privilege. Yes they advertise that you can use your points for cruises but that's to attract DVC buyers. What's really interesting is that DVC is run by Karl Holz who also is in charge of Disney Cruise Line, Adventures by Disney, Disneyland Paris and Aulani. You would think that he could offer a nice discount.

:earsboy: Bill

I am a member of the Disney Vacation Club who joined it back when it was first launched by Disney. I am also a Gold member of the Castaway Club. I was shocked to learn that members of the Disney Vacation Club are being charged more than the general public for Disney Cruises. As I understand the root cause, it is that the contracted rate between the Disney Cruise Line and the Disney Vacation Club is higher than the rate available to those who book directly with Disney Cruises. Further the terms and conditions for those who book through the Vacation Club are worse than those who book directly with the Disney Cruise Line.

I discovered this when booking the 6/10/2017 seven nights Western Caribbean Cruise on the Disney Fantasy. The comparison is as follows:

Note: I was taking advantage of a special price that is offered to those who leave a deposit for their next Disney cruise while on a Disney cruise. I was informed that I could take advantage of the special pricing by booking directly with the Cruise Line or by booking with the Disney Vacation Club. However, my analysis applies to those who did not leave a deposit while on a Disney cruise. They would pay about 10% more with the Cruise Line or with the Vacation Club.

On all my previous Disney Cruises I did not have visibility to the fact that I was being overcharged as I used vacation points to cover both parties. This time I had visibility as I needed to pay for one passenger with vacation points and one with dollars.

I agree that Disney Cruises do not provide good value for your points.

But I think the only main difference between your two comparisons for booking Directly with DCL and booking through DVC is the fact that you have to pay in full at time of booking. I was not aware of this but I don't have any intention of using my points for cruises so I never investigated the process. Since the prices you provided under the Direct with DCL is using the OBB, it's not really a valid comparison.

Since those who do not have a cruise booked with OBB would be paying the same amount whether they booked it with DCL or DVC (looks like it was around $2900 regular price to get the $2609 cost per person through OBB), the only main difference is the fact that you have to pay in full at booking instead of paying a deposit of 20% through a regular booking with DCL. As you know, the 10% deposit, $200 OBC and 10% deposit are all from an OBB placeholder booking.

To get an effective comparison, you would either need to get the price for both methods using OBB (which is not possible since DVC would not be able to take over your OBB placeholder and give you a proper quote) or using regular booking which appears to yield the same cost for both DVC and direct with DCL.

But I agree, using points for a cruise is never cost effective.

I have taken 8 DCLs only one not using DVC points. Of the 7 DCLs with points, 2 were multiple rooms.
Out of pocket cost for the cruises with DVC points, was the $95.00 exchange fee.
My points are long since paid for and I am taking free vacations each year (except MFs). I will never rent my points as I do not like the inherent possible problems in renting to someone I do not know.
The one cruise I paid all cash for was a special price back during the recession that was too good to pass up.

I have taken 8 DCLs only one not using DVC points. Of the 7 DCLs with points, 2 were multiple rooms.
Out of pocket cost for the cruises with DVC points, was the $95.00 exchange fee.
My points are long since paid for and I am taking free vacations each year (except MFs). I will never rent my points as I do not like the inherent possible problems in renting to someone I do not know.
The one cruise I paid all cash for was a special price back during the recession that was too good to pass up.

Some like the ease of using points for a cruise, some want the cost savings, rent their points and pay cash. In the past some cruise inventory for point reservations were restricted, once DVC cruising was blacked out for almost a year.

Some don't rent their points, others do. We tend to talk to people when we are at WDW. We met one couple who only stay at their home resort because booking at another resort is too confusing. Another couple just let their points expire if they skip Disney vacations and their last vacation was 3 years prior. :scared1:

:earsboy: Bill

There are several flaws in your thinking. For SSR you're likely comparing to a cash rate which really isn't applicable. We've prepaid for the ownership and thus all the costs are maintenance related. The real cost is more than the yearly fees, it's basically the Time Value of Money Calculation. For the cruise, it is what it is. But to DVD's defense, there are several large leaks in the bucket of cash to use for cruises. That they must take the points given up and convert those to rooms. Not all of those rooms will be rented and not all that are will be rented for a good price. CRO will take their cut, basically a commission. The price DVD pays is basically a discounted book rate, roughly 10% of the full price. Most people don't pay that for cash bookings. As a rule using points for a cruise will yield between $6 & $7.50 per point plus the cash rate is likely higher and as you noted, it's due in total up front. Plus there are fees if you change. Rarely there are situations where the return is more reasonable but about the best you can do is to break even with renting out the points and paying taxes on the proceeds. I've only seen one exception to this statement, $18 per point for a single sailing. Plus, IMO, there are significant risks to using points for cash type options that far outweigh the risk of renting points done well. My suggestion has always been to look at the specifics both ways and weight the risks and benefits of each. I'd suggest it's often best to do all on points for some and all on cash for some rather than a combo routinely but for some they don't have enough points to do it that way. I'd also suggest that the return may be better for cabins that aren't discounted as much, basically higher categories.

I hear you and I am in the same boat as you. I have been on 8 Disney cruises and I am planning a cruise for next year for Alaska. I called DVC and asked them to break down the cost for this cruise on their side and it was $8,750.00 with no onboard credit. Right now my reservation that I have is $8,181.30 with a $200 onboard credit. I do have enough points to use for 1 person, however will have to pay cash for everyone else. DVC has stated that they will only give me a 5% discount and no onboard credit. They also stated before quoting this cost that sometime they are cheaper than the cruise line. Unfortunately the are not. I am considering for the first time renting my points and getting the cash for them as that would be the most cost effective route that will save me more money. Has anyone rented their DVC points before? If so how did it turn out?

And the point of this is?? Seriously, I have used my points to book a cruise and would again. I don't see the point the OP is trying to make. It's like the "We should get free dining" rants. You are comparing apples and oranges.

You don't get a points discount on your room when CRO has a sale. Same thing with buying your cruise through DVC instead of DCL. You get the rate DVC has negotiated not the "discount" that DCL is offering today

(Now honestly the truth is that the DCL is so overpriced that it's hard to believe anyway. Those prices for those cruises.. No wonder I am on RCCL!)

And the point of this is?? Seriously, I have used my points to book a cruise and would again. I don't see the point the OP is trying to make. It's like the "We should get free dining" rants. You are comparing apples and oranges.

You don't get a points discount on your room when CRO has a sale. Same thing with buying your cruise through DVC instead of DCL. You get the rate DVC has negotiated not the "discount" that DCL is offering today

(Now honestly the truth is that the DCL is so overpriced that it's hard to believe anyway. Those prices for those cruises.. No wonder I am on RCCL!)
IMO this is a different issue. It's essentially whether to pay cash or use the points though if one is using for cash rooms at Disney the same logic applies. The cash price directly defines the value of the points used that way. Plus there are other risks using points as well. Each member has to decide for themselves whether it's worth it. IMO the best use of the information is when buying in, esp to consider buying less points and/or going resale instead of retail. That DCL is overprice simply further defines the lower value using points because it compounds it.

Is anyone planning on doing the DVC Members Cruise 2017?
I hope to be!
I have used points for 2 cruises, but the point cost was lower then, and we felt it was worth it. Once we bought resale with banked points we could not use otherwise. It was a great for us, but now you cannot do that directly, you would have to rent out your points.

THAT is the real issue to me. There's a hefty Disney tax on DCL isn't there? I haven't been on one but I suppose that's the cost of not having an onboard casino to make up the difference. RCCL has always been my favorite when I cruised in the past.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter