Disney to explore a wireless phone service

timC

DVC Member at BWV
Poking around the Disney career site (still looking for my WDW dream job. Anyone else do this?)... anyway, I noticed this intern position. I'm really encouraged that disney is looking at providing a wireless service. Ok. Maybe hiring interns much of a effort, but hey. It's a start! ..I hope they make a Pocket PC version too.

Title: Wireless Intern US-CA-North Hollywood
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Walt Disney Company is exploring the possibility of a Disney mobile phone service and we are looking for talented, experienced design students to assist with the creation of visual mock-ups and prototypes of mobile phone applications and services.

I really hope that they really don't do this.

They have too many other projects that they still need to work on. ABC comes to mind most immediately. They jumped into a medium that they had no experience with, and it cost them a lot of money.

I think it would be downright STUPID to get into the cell phone industry, but that's just my $.02.

They may not be getting into being a service provider like Cingular or Verizon, though. Maybe they're looking into some sort of content development and promotion for that? (Ringers, backgrounds, games, text messaging, etc. -- kind of like their partnerships with Sprint and Verizon, but independent of other phone companies.)

I don't know, but "applications and services" sound more content-driven than anything else to me.

SoonerKate. That's right. They developing content that would be accessible through a wireless phone service.

Basically, take disney.com and shrink the content down to the size of a WAP phone.

So. If spending the day at MK is not enough disney for you, you can dial up disney on your phone while you're lined up for ToT!

Cool.

on the Disney website. They are pretty pricey compared to the competition, and I remember them being through another carrier affiliated with Disney. They have things like a Lilo & Stitch package on a phone, with ringtones and screensavers, as well as a Pooh phone with the same types of features. The only problem is, you can download all the featues they offer through various other service providers websites. And the cheapest I remember was $200 for the phone, with no option of who to chose for your service provider. (I can't remember if it was Verizon,Virgin, Sprint or some other carrier like Nextel). I do remember that when I looked at the features offered, I calculated it all out, and found that downloading the same features to my phone from my mobile company was far cheaper. And I don't remember them mentioning the packages prices for service. So for sure they are already looking into it, we'll just see what they come up with next.:rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter