Hey guys, apparently the site is still down and my sister has been trying to call (she has tried several different times) and has waited on hold for anywhere from 30 min-hour without any luck getting through. Her deposit is due tomorrow but she has to work so she can't really call in tomorrow. (She has tried the automated system but it always says she needs to speak with a CS rep). I'm going to try for her but if I can't get through either what do you think DIsney wil do? She got a special rate and does not want to lose it. Do you think that DIsney will still honor her original rates since they are obviously down longer than expected? Thanks in advance, I didn't want to post a whole new thread so I'm sorry if i'm "thread jacking" here. What would you do?