Disney Royal Family 5K - 2013

Discussion in 'Events/Competition' started by GaRain, Jul 13, 2012.

1. GaRain

GaRain DIS Veteran

Ok, I am officially registered - no backing out now!
    I did the 5K at Marathon weekend this year, as well as Expedition Everest.
    I do wish the course for this would go through the Magic Kingdom so that we could run through the castle too!

Who else is doing this with me in 2013?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. cewait

cewait DIS Veteran

The original W&D 5k did run through MK. I think the issue for the Mouse is that to get the miles for a 5 k, World Dr in front of Contemporary must be fully closed. That creates lots of guest issues.

The AK and Epcot courses do not require any street closures so those are the default courses on property. I believe the RF5K is an Epcot course again. It is still cool to circle the World Showcase with hundreds of other runners early in the morning

Have fun at the 5k.

4. GaRain

GaRain DIS Veteran

Yup, I did the Family Fiesta 5K this past Marathon weekend. That was my first ever runDisney event and I had a great time. It was really cool to run through the World Showcase. I just wish that it would be a different course for this race - knowwhatImean?
    I was thinking it would be hard to do, since the parking lot isn't connected at the Magic Kingdom, like it is at the other parks...princess:

5. bitohoney

bitohoney DIS Veteran

DD19 and I are doing it! I'd rather do the 1/2 but it was hard enough to get DD to do the 5k with me. Actually, she really doesn't want to do it but registering her anyway because she will see how fun it is! :rolleyes1 :banana:

6. GaRain

GaRain DIS Veteran

Oh, I hope she has a great time, since you are twisting her leg!!

I am wanting to see how many Disers are doing the 5K so that maybe we can have a meetup!:dance3:

7. MUDisneyCouple

MUDisneyCouple <font color=royalblue>Thank God for the DIS and al

Has there been any word on what the theme will be the for 5K? I'm hoping the royal family showcased will be Merida's family :goodvibes We are planning on doing this one with a stroller, so we can stop and meet all the princesses along the way.

We did the EE 5K this past year and boy was it hot! Our first Disney 5K was the Mickey's Halloween 5K and started at the TTC and ran around the castle back to TTC. We ran in front of the Contemorary and we all ran on that little sidewalk that goes under "water", it was a tight squeeze!

8. GaRain

GaRain DIS Veteran

I have not seen anything about the theme - but Brave would be cute!
    I also did EE 5K this year and it was more than hot. Bad thing was, so was the water and gatorade - yuck!!

9. DisneyParrothead

DisneyParrothead Mouseketeer

I saw it's a Royal Mickey and Minnie theme, and of course now I can't find the link where I read it. It could very well have been on runDisney's Twitter.

10. NewfieMom

NewfieMom Mouseketeer

For those of you who have done other 5k's attached to bigger races, what are the crowds like? And what is the transportation situation? I want to register for Haunted Halloween 5K the morning of the Tower of Terror race, but it's also our check out day. If the race starts at 7, what time would it be over? And how difficult would be to get a taxi back and forth to CSR, which of course is not a host resort :sad2:

Thanks!

11. welches

welches Earning My Ears

Anyone have any idea how close this race and the kids races are to being full? My family and I are hoping to participate in these. We aren't staying on site which may be a mistake but we are staying at Bonnett Creek. We won't be booking our room until November/December due to it being a timeshare. I would love to do this as my first half marathon but i'm not quite to that point yet. Maybe next year. This will be the visit to WDW for my two girls, one who will have just turned 4 and the other who will be close to 2 years old.

12. GaRain

GaRain DIS Veteran

The 5K and Kids Races are not full yet. I think you have time to get registered.
    http://www.rundisney.com/princess-half-marathon/
    Go to rundisney for more information.

You are ok with "staying offsite" if you plan to drive your car to the race. It should not be an issue. The crowds can get large the morning of the race, so give yourself plenty of time.
    HAVE FUN!!

13. welches

welches Earning My Ears

thanks! I am hoping my girls, especially my oldest will enjoy it. She loves Disney Princesses and loves to run so I hope its a double hit with her.

14. Licorice1

Licorice1 Earning My Ears

We ran the Royal Tangled 5K last year and it was a blast! This year we are so excited that it is going to be a Mickey and Minnie theme. Both my DH and my DD 13 said it was the highlight of the trip.

15. GaRain

GaRain DIS Veteran

I had not noticed this event before when I registered....They are now having a Disney's Princess Half Marathon Weekend Breakfast. It is described as a re-fuel after the Royal Family 5K. Starts at 7:15am, the race officially begins at 6:30. Depending on what corral I am in to start, I doubt I will be anywhere near the finish line at this time.

Has anyone else done this - have they offered this before?
    Just wondering if it would be worth it - not doing the Pasta in the Park Party for this one....

16. caitie86

caitie86 Earning My Ears

This will be my first time running a 5k and am so excited :hyper: to start off with the Disney Royal 5K. Do people dress up for this one? If so, as what? princesses, characters, etc? I really want to come as a character but not sure.....

17. Hollyster2

Hollyster2 <font color=purple>Once Upon A Dream<br><font colo

This will be my first 5k also! Can't wait! :goodvibes

18. GaRain

GaRain DIS Veteran

Just a few more days now until the Royal Family 5K. I am excited for those of you that this will be your first! A runDisney event is really spectacular and all others will fail in comparison!
    YES - dress up!! Go all out!! It is a fun event. They don't usually sweep the 5Ks, but just don't dwadle. I didn't stop for pictures at the first one I did - am trying to decide about this one. I guess it will depend on my time and what characters are along the course.
    I am so excited! :yay::cheer2:

19. kihart

kihart Earning My Ears

Hello all, looking for some advice. We are thinking about doing the 5k next year on Princess weekend prior to getting on DCL later that day. Tell me all about this! It will be me, my daughter and my mom. I have seen reports of having to keep a certain pace and being picked up if you are not keeping that pace. BUT I have seen things where people did this basically at their leisure(for lack of other words), and I don't mean like they took all day or anything like that. My mom has a bad knee and can walk at a pretty good pace, but wondering what happens if she or anyone slows down?! Any info is appreciated! TIA!!

20. Hollyster2

Hollyster2 <font color=purple>Once Upon A Dream<br><font colo

:cool1: Do not hesitate to do a Disney 5k! Just did my very first one a week ago! Plenty of time to complete it and do not worry about being swept (never saw a sweeper). It is so much fun and there were so many people there with different walking and running abilities. All shapes, sizes, ages and there was a gal walking in a foot cast! I am a new runner and I did the Walk/Run method and did not break any speed records by a long shot, and felt great the whole time. Plenty of people stand in line to pose for pictures and just enjoy the walk. It was so beautiful out! I cannot say enough good things about it :thumbsup2 Ask any questions you want because I have been talking about little else all week!

21. Jeslynb

Jeslynb Mouseketeer

How was it, everyone? I am thinking of signing up for 2014. Would love to hear your reports.