Disney Pins..

DebbieOBX

Mouseketeer
I have never bought any, but im wondering. Are they sometimes valuable? How do you find out there value?

thanks

Im seeing lots of 50 pins shipped free on ebay, for about 2.00 How can they be real disney pins?

thanks

Im seeing lots of 50 pins shipped free on ebay, for about 2.00 How can they be real disney pins?

thanks
I believe many of them are knock-offs. We, unfortunately, purchased one of those before I investigated it. We were in DTD and they had a bunch of pin traders outside one evening. We were looking at their books and one of the traders spied a pin on DD's lanyard that she swore was very limited and ended up trading DD about 5 of their pins for this one. DD wasn't emotionally attached to it so she picked the ones she really liked and traded with the woman. We got back to the RV and I looked in the bag with the rest of the trading pins I had purchased and there were about 5 more of them. It was supposedly a run of only 750 pins. Oops. :blush: I only purchase from Disney now.

thanks

They are real Disney pins, but not pins that were sold to Disney for Disney to resell. They are perfectly good pins, that can be collected or traded at the parks or ships.

I've bought "lots" of pins on ebay, but never for 4¢ each. I bet the $2.00 price is the current bid not the final sale price. If you can get a "lot" of pins for 40¢ to 50¢ each, that is a fair deal.

Mike

thanks

Those are scrapper pins that were made by the companies who make the authentic Disney pins, but are flawed in some way and were suppose to be destroyed. If you compared them to the actual approved pins, you would be able to see where a color is wrong or something is off about the design. Here's an article that explains about them. It tells you how you can identify a bad pin.

http://www.mousemagicblog.com/2011/09/counterfeit-disney-pins.html

They are real Disney pins, but not pins that were sold to Disney for Disney to resell. They are perfectly good pins, that can be collected or traded at the parks or ships.

I've bought "lots" of pins on ebay, but never for 4¢ each. I bet the $2.00 price is the current bid not the final sale price. If you can get a "lot" of pins for 40¢ to 50¢ each, that is a fair deal.

Mike

They're scrappers. Not necessarily fakes, but not good enough to be sold at disney.

Personally I would rather pay a bit more for my pins and not have a fake or a scrapper.

To the op: If you go to the disney collectors board on here there is a thread all about pin trading, and has a list of good/bad ebay sellers. I don't think its completely up to date, as I listed one the other day who I think is really good and I have been buying from for quite a while. I get a genuine set of 7 pins generally for around $9.99 or slightly over, this includes free international postage to England. These come in correct packaging, cellophane, price on rear and the pins themselves don't show any signs of being anything other than genuine.

They're scrappers. Not necessarily fakes, but not good enough to be sold at disney.

Personally I would rather pay a bit more for my pins and not have a fake or a scrapper.

As a Disney stockholder I am glad you are willing to pay a "bit more." Can you define a "bit more" for me?

I have never bought any, but im wondering. Are they sometimes valuable? How do you find out there value?

thanks
i buy ones that catch my eye or remind me of a trip or cruise. outside of the odd truly limited edition or such, they aren’t “valuable” other then a memory. you might see the odd pin on ebay as a rarity for tens or hundreds of dollars, but doubting they sell for that and they don’t really appreciate in value. the “value” is what someone is willing to pay - at the parks/ship they sell for 8-16 each i would guestimate.

fun souvenir and fun to trade ofr ones that you might like! :thumbsup2

thanks

I don't consider myself a pin collector but when I cruise I do like to purchase a pin or two as a reminder of my cruise. I usually check ebay once in a while to see what the selling price is but they are pin collector books that may provide more details.

thanks

These are scrapper pins, called this because they are pins that were manufactured for Disney but they were not approved by Disney so they were supposed to be "scrapped". Someone goes through the trash or takes the scrappers and sells them to another party who then sells them on eBay for pennies. Or the molds are scrapped because the run is complete and the molds get taken to secondary factories and they use the molds to run more of the pins, again, scrappers so not "real" Disney pins.

Mike

^ That is horrible advice. :(

OP please use the link in my signature to the current (and being updated to a new thread) thread on eBay and pins, I recommend reading the first 5-10 pages and then the last 10 pages to see information on good pin sellers on eBay, where you can get authentic (approved by Disney) pins at decent prices, not 4 cents a pin but I can regularly get authentic pins for trading for about $2 per pin.

Pixiewings is right. That is horrible advice.

I am working on the updated thread. It is taking time as there are 133 pages of posts to go through. But, when I am done, we will have a new up to date thread.

$2.00 per pin plus shipping is a very reasonable price. You can get new on card pins for that price. A lot of pins can be bought at DISNEY outlets for much less so people can sell them for that price without losing money. Also, a lot of people have pins they want to get rid of for whatever reason and know they won't be able to sell them for much more than that because of the scrapper sellers, so they settle for that price to recoup some of their original investment without having to go through the trouble of listing individually. New on card pin lots used to sell for much more but the economy is tough so prices have dropped, except on LE's and such.

These are scrapper pins, called this because they are pins that were manufactured for Disney but they were not approved by Disney so they were supposed to be "scrapped". Someone goes through the trash or takes the scrappers and sells them to another party who then sells them on eBay for pennies. Or the molds are scrapped because the run is complete and the molds get taken to secondary factories and they use the molds to run more of the pins, again, scrappers so not "real" Disney pins.

^ That is horrible advice. :(

OP please use the link in my signature to the current (and being updated to a new thread) thread on eBay and pins, I recommend reading the first 5-10 pages and then the last 10 pages to see information on good pin sellers on eBay, where you can get authentic (approved by Disney) pins at decent prices, not 4 cents a pin but I can regularly get authentic pins for trading for about $2 per pin.

I beg your pardon, but it is perfectly good advice! :thumbsup2 There is nothing wrong with buying a big lot of Disney pins on ebay to trade. It is done all of the time; that is if you want to save money. However, if money is no object, go ahead and pay outrageous prices for pins you are going to trade away.

Most of the lots of pins I have purchased on ebay, I have traded away. However, several of them I have liked, so I've kept.

Mike

I beg your pardon, but it is perfectly good advice! :thumbsup2 There is nothing wrong with buying a big lot of Disney pins on ebay to trade. It is done all of the time; that is if you want to save money. However, if money is no object, go ahead and pay outrageous prices for pins you are going to trade away.

Most of the lots of pins I have purchased on ebay, I have traded away. However, several of them I have liked, so I've kept.

Mike

No, your advice was to pay 50 cents per pin and that is absolutely terrible advice. At that price you will be getting scrappers. I trade 100% authentic pins and I pay no more than $2 per pin, with shipping included. Money is always an object and I do NOT pay outrageous prices for pins. BUT I do NOT trade fakes/scrappers whatever you chose to call them. I have no problems with buying pins from eBay, I DO have problems buying FAKE pins from eBay and trading them for authentic pins. But because it is so prevalent I draw the line at $2 for pins I will be trading. A little bit of reading on this forum will help anyone buy authentic pins from good sellers at decent prices. I'm sorry if you feel you gave good advice but unfortunately you did not. :(

I'm not going to spend a bunch of money for genuine pins that my son will trade with CMs for scrappers of characters he likes. He doesn't care whether they are real or not, Disney supposedly doesn't mind "scrapper-trading," so I think it all depends on your motivation. Bad move to buy a $5 pin to trade for a 50 cent one.

BUT I do NOT trade fakes/scrappers whatever you chose to call them. I have no problems with buying pins from eBay, I DO have problems buying FAKE pins from eBay and trading them for authentic pins. But because it is so prevalent I draw the line at $2 for pins I will be trading. A little bit of reading on this forum will help anyone buy authentic pins from good sellers at decent prices. I'm sorry if you feel you gave good advice but unfortunately you did not. :(

I don't call them fake/scrappers, that is your term. I think it is elitist and insulting to insist that your pins are real and my pins are fake because you paid more for your pins than I did for mine. :snooty::snooty::snooty:

Mike

I'm not going to spend a bunch of money for genuine pins that my son will trade with CMs for scrappers of characters he likes. He doesn't care whether they are real or not, Disney supposedly doesn't mind "scrapper-trading," so I think it all depends on your motivation. Bad move to buy a $5 pin to trade for a 50 cent one.

As I said, I pay $2 for trading pins, and yes, I have tons of scrappers in my collection, from previous eBay buys (before I knew about scrappers) and from trades. If you pin trade it's something you have to decide to deal with or not, I report scrappers sellers to eBay, sometimes they get kicked off eBay, sometimes they don't. That part is up to Disney. The part that is up to me is to purchase authentic pins so that's what I do. Disney does NOT support scrappers or trading scrappers, they do however want their guests to have good experiences so they tend to not turn away trades. I have seen many CM's take a pin they suspect is fake in trade and then put that pin in their pocket and not on their lanyard, they do care as it does hurt the hobby in the long run. They have prosecuted people in Anaheim for selling scrapper pins.

I don't call them fake/scrappers, that is your term. I think it is elitist and insulting to insist that your pins are real and my pins are fake because you paid more for your pins than I did for mine. :snooty::snooty::snooty:

Mike

Excuse me, that is NOT my term, that is the term given to those pins BY DISNEY. It isn't elitist or insulting, it is a simple fact. How long have you been trading? Anywhere you go experienced traders will tell you the same thing that I have said here. You are buying fake/scrapper pins if you are paying 50cents per pin, there is simply no way that they are authentic and approved by Disney. Like I said, if you want to continue to trade them that's your choice, but I chose to support the hobby in a different manner and will continue to purchase authentic pins for trading for around $2 per pin. I didn't insist my pins were real, however if you and I sat down together and compared our pins purchased from eBay I'm confident that most of mine would be authentic and many of yours would have flaws that would indicate it was a scrapper. I'm not snooty at all, I'm just aware of the hazards of pin trading. Have a nice day.

How do I find out when and where limited pins will be released and sold?

I ask because I happened by a line of collectors in the Contemporary Resort on Dec 6, 2012 waiting for the store to open selling the most recent Piece of Disney Movies Cell pin. I was able to purchase the pin for myself and this store sold out of their allotment before noon.

Can you trade Vinylmation and/or mini pins for regular size and non-Vinylmation pins? They seem to be the cheapest of the pins at the Disney Store (I have a gift card), and since I'm just getting them for my daughter to trade, I don't care what they look like. I just want to make sure before getting them. Thanks!

How do I find out when and where limited pins will be released and sold?

I ask because I happened by a line of collectors in the Contemporary Resort on Dec 6, 2012 waiting for the store to open selling the most recent Piece of Disney Movies Cell pin. I was able to purchase the pin for myself and this store sold out of their allotment before noon.

ODPT.com

Can you trade Vinylmation and/or mini pins for regular size and non-Vinylmation pins? They seem to be the cheapest of the pins at the Disney Store (I have a gift card), and since I'm just getting them for my daughter to trade, I don't care what they look like. I just want to make sure before getting them. Thanks!

Yes, these are absolutely 100% perfect for trading. :) Mini pins and standard size are both fine. I actually collect mini pins because they are cute. LOL :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!