Disney or Hawaii

SumWhrOvrThRanBo

Mouseketeer
I've been in the early stages of planing a family vacation to Disney for next Fall. It will be the first big get away for our blended family of 5 kiddos- 4 from precious marriages & our sweet baby girl who will be 16 months old at the time of our trip. I haven't been to Disney since I was a little girl (I've only been once), my boys (7 & 9) have never been- my husband loves Disney & has been 6 times, most recently in 2009 with his kids (now 14 & 16).
Well... My husband comes to me last night & asks, "Can we all go to Hawaii instead of Disney?" Gosh I don't know!!? When I think Hawaii I don't think family vacation!? But he really wants to go- none of us have ever been. We would find an all inclusive package at a resort somewhere- spend about what we would spend going to Disney. I don't know what to do- decisions decisions!! What would you do!??

Hawaii has lots of activities for families.

I would do Hawaii and make Disney the next family trip.

If you go to oahu, you can hike up Diamond Head. Someone would need to carry the 16 month old (at certain points) or stay behind with her. The polynesian cultural center is a great family spot as well.

Keep in mind that there are no true all inclusives in Hawaii. You may be able to book a package with a meal plan, but it won't be truly all inclusive.

I've been in the early stages of planing a family vacation to Disney for next Fall. It will be the first big get away for our blended family of 5 kiddos- 4 from precious marriages & our sweet baby girl who will be 16 months old at the time of our trip. I haven't been to Disney since I was a little girl (I've only been once), my boys (7 & 9) have never been- my husband loves Disney & has been 6 times, most recently in 2009 with his kids (now 14 & 16).
Well... My husband comes to me last night & asks, "Can we all go to Hawaii instead of Disney?" Gosh I don't know!!? When I think Hawaii I don't think family vacation!? But he really wants to go- none of us have ever been. We would find an all inclusive package at a resort somewhere- spend about what we would spend going to Disney. I don't know what to do- decisions decisions!! What would you do!??

I seem to remember Disney having a new hotel in Hawaii.....Hmmmm....What was it now.....Aulani.....that's it. Problem solved. Do both!:thumbsup2

I would go to Hawaii. The kids would probably get a lot more out of a trip to Hawaii than a trip to disney. I would make Disney a trip in 2014 or later since then Fantasyland should be complete.

My kids are 11 and 8 and they have been to Hawaii a few times, it's a great family vaction destination. Our family loves the outdoor stuff, hiking, snorkeling etc. The last trip May 2012 we took them to Kauai. Beautiful island. I would suggest staying away from Waikiki area unless you are intersted in basically seeing San Francisco on a tropical isle :rolleyes: It's very commerical and busy, Not what you picture when you think of Hawaii. Needless to say there are other places on Oahu that are gorgeous. The Ko Olina area where the Aulani is is a BEUTIFUL AREA and PERFECT for kids.

Maui many familes like to stay in the Kaanapali area
Kauai- Poipu Beach area or Kapaa Area (Princeville is pricey and geared towards golf)

FYI Disney and Hawaii are my two favorite places on the planet! :rotfl:

Tough decision! I love both :)

If you did Hawaii, I would not try to do something all inclusive. Take the time to find restaurants, sights, and other activities. I personally am really interested in all the historic/culture things. There is so much Hawaii has to offer! I am part Hawaiian though, so I may be a bit biased ;)

I would go to HI and do Disney next time.

Disney's new resort is on the west side on Oahu, kinda away from everything.

Windward side of the island has some of the best beaches, go east on the H3. If it is raining, it will also have some of the best waterfalls.

There is the Pali Lookout, where a hang gliding record was set. Also an epic battle hundred's of years ago. Very windy ;)

Diamond Head, and many other hikes

Pearl Harbor, the Arizona

Luaus, we liked Paradise Cove, although Polynesian Cultural Center has one and Germain's

Don't forget the snorkeling and surfing. There is a big one that starts with a H that is suppose to be really good to go to. We were not able to go when were there.

Dole Pineapple Farm and the North Shore

You could also check out Kuai:small garden island very peaceful, Maui:romantic island, Big Island: the volcanoes(but don't expect to go and see the lava. they keep you pretty far away) There are things to do on these islands also.

Price Hawaii.

There likely won't be an all inclusive and you'll probably discover its a lot more expensive than Disney. Just room tax in Hawaii adds a lot. Airfare to Hawaii is usually a killer.

The other downside for Hawaii is from the middle of the country, you are looking at probably eleven hours of travel - with a toddler and a six year old. A lap baby for twelve hours of travel would send me over the edge.

That said, Hawaii is a great vacation - really lovely and worthwhile once you get there. Its beautiful and relaxing and there is a ton of stuff to do. But Hawaii was way more expensive for us - on the cheap - than our luxury Disney vacations.

crisi said:
Price Hawaii.

There likely won't be an all inclusive and you'll probably discover its a lot more expensive than Disney. Just room tax in Hawaii adds a lot. Airfare to Hawaii is usually a killer.

The other downside for Hawaii is from the middle of the country, you are looking at probably eleven hours of travel - with a toddler and a six year old. A lap baby for twelve hours of travel would send me over the edge.

That said, Hawaii is a great vacation - really lovely and worthwhile once you get there. Its beautiful and relaxing and there is a ton of stuff to do. But Hawaii was way more expensive for us - on the cheap - than our luxury Disney vacations.

I think it depends. It would be cheaper for us to go to HI than Disney. But we stay in cottages, not resorts, and explore all sorts of food and activities. I agree though that the airfare is killer!

We've been to Hawaii with our kids as well. Our favorite is an ocean front condo on Maui (Napili point resort). We will food shop or get takeout and eat most meals outside on our lanai watching the turtles feed in the cove, best table on Maui (imho). It's still an expensive vacation since we try to add in a nice excursion or two and those are expensive x 4 ppl (ziplining, helicopter ride, luau).

We stayed at a hilton on Big Island, and the hotel experience was nice, but very expensive since we had to eat all meals out and pay for parking, hotel fees, etc (and didn't have a great view). Condo was definitely more convenient and cheaper.

The airfare is the killer though. From NJ it's about $900-1000 pp. We save airline miles and haven't paid yet, but if we had to pay it, we wouldn't be going. Orlando airfare for us is usually around $200 pp.

I would price out both and see if Hawaii is in your budget. If you can swing Hawaii, definitely go, it's beautiful and relaxing.

Do both! - just kidding, although dh and I are planning to do both next year. Of course we will be staying with my brother who lives in Hawaii, so its not going to be that expensive for us to go. Planning to return to WDW in September too.

I love Disney. We go almost every year, but given the choice, I would do Hawaii. We went there for our honeymoon, and it was amazing, but it is cost prohibitive for us to go there every year and traveling there is difficult as it is a long haul.

Disneys Aulani is beautiful-- you can get the best of both vacations. It is not all inclusive but there really aren't many in Hawaii. PM me for more info about this destination :)

Let me just say if I were given that choice I would have looked at my husband like he had two heads! :rotfl2: My kids (4 and 18 months) are little terrors! I love them, but the thought of a beach vacation (especially an expensive one like Hawaii) sounds like a nightmare to me right now!! I love beaches. But when I'm at a beach I want to relax and my kiddos offer me very little relaxing time!I'd be chasing them endlessly, plus diapers and sand are never a good combo! And don't even get me started on being on a plane with them for that long! :faint: I know you have the 4 older ones too, but honestly if I were you I'd plan the Disney trip this time and wait until your littlest is potty trained.

All our best vacations when our kids were small were beach vacations. It is so easy, especially if you rent a condo or house. You can cook, kids can nap, lots of space for everyone. Hands down, I would go to Hawaii. There are enough activities and excursions to keep the older kids happy and engaged and the beach would be fun for the little one.

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter