Disney News - Advocates Fight Segway Ban at Florida Parks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even the most experienced Segway users can have accidents, someone could step out in front. Given that even an ECV or manual chair, at their low speeds can cause injury, just imagine what a 12mph impact could do with the higher center of gravity of a Segway. It could easily permanently maim or kill a child or older person.

And given that under the ADA you can not require proof of disability to rent one, I think the advocates are attacking the problem from the wrong perspective. They should WANT the ADA to require proof of training and disability to rent a Segway, and push for that sort of clause to be added to the ADA.

They should also lobby Segway Corp to manufacture specially marked Segways (maybe with special colored tires, or ADA approved insignia) that are not capable of speeds higher than 5 mph, no matter what "key" is used. And the colors used to identify those Segways should not be available to anyone but a licensed Segway service center. If Segway Corp is unwilling to to make those modifications for safety, and to be approved as a medical device by the FDA, like the iBot and other power chairs, then clearly Segway does NOT WANT their product to be seen as a medical mobility device.

Well actually the top speed of a human is 27 mph, there are lots of people (albeit in good condition) that can run 12 mph for a very long distance.

The top speed of a Bounder wheelchair is over 12 mph ( there are others ) but the point is top speed is irrelevant.

What is relevant is behavior. People with disabilities visiting the park on segways would in all likelihood be with others afoot, wouldn't they be traveling at the same pace as their group?
I am aware there are some wheelchairs that can go up to almost 12mph (the Bounder website I found when this came up in 2006 says it has a top speed of 11.6 mph). That is not really a factor though, because the chance of seeing a Bounder wheelchair in the parks is pretty slim, since they are a 'specialty' company and not one of the common wheelchair manufacturers. The wheelchairs that are in the parks are much slower than that.

The points that have been made on this thread are pretty much rehash of the discussion of what occurred in the the old thread, (and many of them are rehash of other posts on this thread), so I don't see much point in continuing to keep this thread open.

None of us on this board have any input into whether or not Disney allows Segways to be brought into the parks or not, so no matter how long it is debated, we won't have an impact.
This thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter