Disney lowers 2002 earnings...

EUROPA

DIS Veteran
Is this popular in the movie biz? Didn't know they could recognize earnings for a movie that was not even released yet. Strange. I need to brush up on my finance. Is this really allowable under law?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=599&u=/nm/20021204/media_nm/disney_1&printer=1

BURBANK, Calif. (Reuters) - The Walt Disney Co. said Tuesday it was lowering its previously reported earnings for 2002, citing the poor box office performance of the animated film "Treasure Planet."

Disney also made several changes in its board of directors, to make the board more independent.

Disney said it was lowering its 2002 full year net income by $47 million after taxes to 60 cents a share from a previously reported 63 cents a share. The company's fiscal fourth-quarter earnings, initially reported Nov. 7, were lowered to 9 cents a share from a previously reported 11 cents a share.

Disney also named Robert Matschullat, former vice chairman of Seagram Co. Ltd., as a new independent director, and appointed former U.S. Senator George Mitchell as a "presiding director" to lead a new set of executive board sessions that will be held without Chairman and Chief Executive Michael Eisner present.

Burbank, Calif.-based Disney, owner of movie studios, theme parks and television networks, said the changes to its board would "enhance corporate governance" and increase the independence of the board.

"Treasure Planet," an expensive animated movie, debuted over the five-day holiday weekend to a less-than-expected $16.5 million at U.S. and Canadian box offices.

The company's stock ended four percent lower at $18.54 per share on the New York Stock Exchange (news - web sites). The statement was released after the close of trading.

Reuters/Variety

The bigger bomb seems to be the SEC investigation regarding board members hiring friends and family for very high paying Disney jobs, some as high as $1.35 million.

Yep another article...

http://www.nypost.com/business/63577.htm

December 4, 2002 --

Michael Eisner has dropped a double bombshell on Walt Disney's shares by announcing a federal probe of its boardroom and a surprise earnings reversal.

The company last night said profits would be about 20 percent lower than it announced four weeks earlier, blaming a box office flop of its new holiday flick, "Treasure Planet."

The company also revealed that the Securities and Exchange Commission is investigating the cozy relationship among four directors who put their relatives in key jobs within the Disney empire, some paying up to $1.3 million a year.

Ironically, Eisner himself divulged the corporate nepotism months ago to the SEC - primarily to neutralize the four outside directors who had been heading a board revolt to oust him.

Although the bad news came after trading closed, the disclosures sent Disney shares skidding by more than five percent in just minutes of after-hours trading, losing 99 cents to $17.55.

Eisner also suffered a setback yesterday in his struggle over corporate reform.

The board yesterday established a new position of presiding director to carry the flag of corporate reform on the Disney board, which has been criticized for cronyism.

Named to the post was former U.S. senator George Mitchell, who already held a seat on the board.

Disney also named Robert Matschullat, former vice chairman of Seagram Co. Ltd., as a new independent director.

Another reform step taken by the board was to set up two meetings per year in which the management would not be present.

Leading the revolt was director Stanley Gold, head of Shamrock Holdings.

Gold's daughter Jennifer Gold earned $85,111 as an employee of Disney's consumer products division. Director Revita Bowers' son Craig Bowers held an Internet job at Disney, paying $81,863, and director John Bryson's wife Louise earned $1.35 million in a top post at Disney's half-owned Lifetime Entertainment Television.

Disney said it was lowering its 2002 profit by $47 million after taxes to 60 cents a share from a previously reported 63 cents a share.

The company's fiscal fourth-quarter earnings, initially reported Nov. 7, were lowered to $175 million, or 9 cents a share, from a previously reported $222 million, or 11 cents a share.

Is this popular in the movie biz? Didn't know they could recognize earnings for a movie that was not even released yet.
Yeah, I'm not quite following this either. Disney's fiscal 2002 ended 9/30. How could box office returns from a movie released on 11/27 effect 2002 earnings? And even if it does, why don't we see more of these types of adjustments 7 days after other "bombs" are released, or even after a "hit" is released?

I heard somebody on CNBC say that animated films that don't have a big opening weekend are invariably doomed to failure, even in DVD. Apparently the earlier estimate relied upon a big opening weekend and all that such an opening entails.

Apparently the earlier estimate relied upon a big opening weekend and all that such an opening entails.

But that's the whole question... The poor opening occured in late November. Disney's '02 fiscal 4th quarter ended 9/30. Returns from TP are occuring in Disney's fiscal 1st quarter of '03. So I get how it could effect estimates made for the current quarter (1Q '03) and future quarters, but I don't get how it impacts a past quarter that closed almost 2 months before the film even opened.

Originally posted by raidermatt
But that's the whole question... The poor opening occured in late November. Disney's '02 fiscal 4th quarter ended 9/30. Returns from TP are occuring in Disney's fiscal 1st quarter of '03. So I get how it could effect estimates made for the current quarter (1Q '03) and future quarters, but I don't get how it impacts a past quarter that closed almost 2 months before the film even opened.
Oh, now I see. I should have known because we have CNBC on at the office all day.

Anyway, here's something I found using Google's news search.
Treasure Planet flopped over its five-day, Thanksgiving weekend opening, recording ticket sales of $16.6 million, WSJ.com reported. Disney said it must take a $74 million pretax writedown for the fourth quarter of 2002 to reflect a lower book value for the movie. That will reduce net income for the quarter ended Sept. 30 by $47 million, or 2 cents a share.
Here's the link.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter