Disney looking into sequel of Mary Poppins

She did not want Walt Disney or Walt Disney Productions to make any more films about Mary Poppins. I thought she had put this in her will. I guess it depends on who currently owns the copyright to the books.

I'm sure that Disney legal will cover their bases when it comes to the use and likeness of Mary Poppins. Maybe it'll be something akin to the fact that the already own the rights to the "Disney" Mary Poppins, and will build from there, not necessarily from the books.

Even Travers few friends said she was very hard to get along with. Even they avoided her.

The big part missing from Saving Mr. Banks is that during the filming she returned to the studio and basicly drove everyone crazy. She wanted all Americans in or working on the film removed. Stopped scenes and told the director how to change scenes. She was finnily removed from the studio. She would yell at people.

As to the crying there was one friend who said she was crying over the cartoon part, and.that is questionable.as she had already seem most of it in cuts.

She was never happy with the movie, until she started getting royalites.....she was qiuet after that.

Her will did say flatly......he right to none of her books including the Mary Poppens series were to ever be sold to Disney or any Americans.

Which leads to my.earlier questions how does Disney have the rights to do another movie and for that matter the stage rights??

AKK

Last edited:
I think this sequel should be all right, but Mary Poppins is one of Walt's most striking legacies. They need to tread carefully.

Agreed. I get the distinct feeling that The Travers Estate may have found themselves in a financial bind again and are going to Disney with open arms as opposed to PL Travers' experience which was dicey.

Last edited:

It might not hurt the brand, but could easily be disrespectful to Walt and PL Travers

I am unconvinced that "respect" for people who have been dead decades at this point should be a primary part of the decision making process.
  • Do we have a story to tell?
  • Can we do this well?
Those are the questions from a creative standpoint and as far as a business is concerned, there's mostly just one question, but if they're smart they would ask a second.
  • Will it make us money?
  • Will there be a negative impact?
Both Walt and Travers are dead. Decisions made now will have no impact on them what so ever regardless of their feelings when they were alive.

Ok with the idea as it is not a remake as nothing could touch the original IMO. I just feel sorry for whoever is selected to play Mary Poppins as Julie Andrews shoes are very large to fill.

Studios are going to revisit properties that are known moneymakers. It's just the way of the day. Disney isn't alone here, they have just been more aggressive about it lately when they've mostly left well enough alone for 70 years. I am not super opposed to seeing another Mary Poppins movie, an I never believe that any movie (remake, sequel) can ever diminish the original.

If I were casting today, my pick would be Anne Hathaway. Hands down.

Interesting Casting idea.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...r-new-live-action-mary-poppins-movie-20150916

Emily Blunt is probably one of the few people they could cast that might actually get me to see it. I am totally in love with her. (In a actress-cinemagoer sort of way, not an actress-creepy stalker sort of way. )

Anyway, the actress is no stranger to Disney projects, or singing, with previous roles in "The Muppets" and "Into The Woods.

Did this writer SEE the muppets. She's in 30 seconds of that movie.

See also, Cars 2, The Matrix 2, The Matrix 3, soooo many Police Academies, Star Wars Ep 1, 2, and 3 (but let's hope not 7, 8, and 9), ...

I'm still eternally glad that Peter Jackson had the good sense not to tackle The Hobbit. It'd be a shame if he ruined the Lord of the Rings trilogy by releasing a sub-par prequel.
Well his hobbit movies were definitely not as good as LoTR, but not too bad

---
I'm withholding judgement until I see the trailer and cast list. I really enjoyed Saving Mr Banks and if it's based on later books then in theory there's a story there.:P

I'm totally excited for this actually. I was never crazy about the movie. I hope this "reboot" is a lot more faithful to the tone of the original stories. I saw the show on Broadway and LOVED it because it was much more in-line with the source material - it was so much darker than the movie and I *really* hope thats the way they go with this.

Emily Blunt for Mary Poppins?

Which leads to my.earlier questions how does Disney have the rights to do another movie and for that matter the stage rights??

I can't speak for the film rights, But London/Broadway Producer Cameron Mackintosh acquired the rights for a stage adaption from P.L. Travers in 1993/1994 on the condition that only English-born writers (no Americans or anyone involved with the movie) were to be directly involved in the creative process of the stage musical. Which is why the new music was written by Stiles & Drewe.

It wasn't until 2001 (after Traver's death in 1996), that Mackintosh and the head of Disney Theatricals began to discuss the idea of the musical we have today.

Mary Poppins was set in 1910. Fast forward 20 years to 1930, WW1 was fought, and women have the vote. Jane Banks has picked up where her activist mother, Winifred, left off. Her brother, Michael Banks, a widower with two young rambunctious children to raise on his own, is desperate to find a nanny like Mary. A terrible wind storm descends upon London, and Mary Poppins blows in from the north to the rescue the dysfunctional Banks family once again. LOL!:laughing:

I was a very little girl when my dad took me to see Mary Poppins, so this film has a special place in my heart that could never be replaced. That said, if they take the script in the right direction, and composed some memorable new songs, it could potentially be a great sequel for a new generation.

eh I don't really think it would be a good idea at all since Mary Poppins is my most favorite movie of all time and that it would not star Julie Andrews.

See also, Cars 2, The Matrix 2, The Matrix 3, soooo many Police Academies, Star Wars Ep 1, 2, and 3 (but let's hope not 7, 8, and 9), ...

I'm still eternally glad that Peter Jackson had the good sense not to tackle The Hobbit. It'd be a shame if he ruined the Lord of the Rings trilogy by releasing a sub-par prequel.

To quote a bit character from a 60's movie...

"Well played, sir...very well played!"

I thought that P. L. Travers had said that Disney would never be allowed to make a sequel to Mary Poppins? She was so distraught over the film and really hated it. Its one issue that I did not like about "Saving Mr. Banks" as the film gave the impression that in the end she liked the film. She was crying at the premiere because she hated the film.

She did not want Walt Disney or Walt Disney Productions to make any more films about Mary Poppins. I thought she had put this in her will. I guess it depends on who currently owns the copyright to the books.

I wonder about this as well...deep pockets bob and company must have/will buy off whatever controls the character now...

Saving mr banks did gloss over her hatred of the finished product...

The two things it did pretty well to depict were:
1. She had no choice...it was financial
2. Philip Morris killed uncle walt.

I can't speak for the film rights, But London/Broadway Producer Cameron Mackintosh acquired the rights for a stage adaption from P.L. Travers in 1993/1994 on the condition that only English-born writers (no Americans or anyone involved with the movie) were to be directly involved in the creative process of the stage musical. Which is why the new music was written by Stiles & Drewe.

It wasn't until 2001 (after Traver's death in 1996), that Mackintosh and the head of Disney Theatricals began to discuss the idea of the musical we have today.

Thanks for the information......See I learn something from someone else every day.

AKK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter