Disney: It's For Adults, Too! (finally booked!!!)

How do...?

Jumping on. Great PTR so far. Must say, the 1st thing that caught my eye... AWESOME Nordiques hat (followed by the Roy sweater. Amazing what a change of laundry can do for a Bruins fan :laundy: ). I think I've gone over your thread and hope that I'm right in saying that you are still going over Vet's Day weekend. If that is the case, I REALLY hope that the monorail resorts will have their Xmas decorations and gingerbread displays up for you and your mom to enjoy (and maybe MVMCP).

As for me quoting your dining post, I have a couple suggestions. If you're going to the Kona Cafe (and who can resist the siren call of THAT coffee), go in the morning. 1 of you get the Tonga Toast and the other get the macadamia nut butter pancakes and share. You won't be disappointed. I know you said that you would try to stay away from resort eating, but Boatwright's at Port Orleans Riverside is really good and very cozy. And, if you are trying to guage your mom about what "Signature" place she'd like, do what I did with BDLsGal. I took Disney out of the equation.

"Hey mom. If you could have any kind of premium meal you want would you like ..." and then just put in a few of the entre's from the "Signature" eateries, without saying the places' names. That's how I decided what to book for our Candlelight Procession dinner.

Great thread. Gonna keep checking back.

I'm quoting this again but I was just going back to respond to someone else on this page and noticed the "change of laundry" thing at the top of this post. And I laughed! I forgot (how could I forget?) Roy used to be a Canadien (seriously, how could I forget? By far my favorite player, read his biography 3 times and have been eyeing a signed Roy Canadiens jersey at the sports store..). And that made me laugh!
If anyone knows a rivalry like us Avs fans do (FREAKING REDWINGS WHY WON'T THEY JUST DIE) it's Bruins fans!

Can I just say I'm slightly bummed I won't be in WDW the same time as you- the boyfriend and I were contemplating bringing down a bomber of Dark Lord to drink and celebrate our first trip to the Diz together, but splitting the bottle between only two people would most likely end up a raging hangover and a wasted day spent in a dark hotel room. Sharing it with another Disney/beer lover would've made it so much more worth it!

YOU JUST GAVE ME A GREAT IDEA! The best way to get over poor dark beer selection at Disney...pack bombers! I'm not a big bomber person (too much of a light weight and my husband isn't a dark beer person) but it's irrational to pack a 6-pack on vacation. But a bomber in my checked bag would totally work!
You might have just saved my life!
(Great Divide Yeti anyone? If not, go taste it. Glorious beer)

Anyways, my husband didn't get that job :( We're pretty bummed (and still poor!). He's doing some landscaping for his dad's restaurants for now. But my mom feels bad and offered to pay for half of my Disney trip! I told her I'd prefer to make it on my own but it's nice to know that if I have trouble paying her back (she's putting it on her credit card and I'll pay her back after) that I can let her pay for some! It's relieving because I am NOT giving up this trip.

Subscribing to the thread...
We're planning our first adults-only trip (honeymoon for us!!)

Honeymooning in Disney is the best ever. It's like a fairy tale! Everyone thought it was weird that after the stress of wedding planning we were picking Disney but there are SO many ways to enjoy it in an adult way!
Congratulations!

YOU JUST GAVE ME A GREAT IDEA! The best way to get over poor dark beer selection at Disney...pack bombers! I'm not a big bomber person (too much of a light weight and my husband isn't a dark beer person) but it's irrational to pack a 6-pack on vacation. But a bomber in my checked bag would totally work!

Glad to have helped! Just make sure it's wrapped REALLY well and get yourself some of those silicone bottle caps- that way if you don't finish the bomber in one night, it's still nice and fresh the next day! If you do however run across anything exciting in the parks/restaurants, let me know!

Oh, and Dark Lord is a Russian Imperial brewed by Three Floyds in northwest indiana. It's 13% abv, about the consistency of motor oil, and one of the best beers in the world. It's sold one day a year and it's almost impossible to get tickets to even go to the event to buy the beer- tickets for this years day are already on ebay for $400+! And thanks for the head's up on Yeti. I'm going to try and see if I can find anyone that carries it here in the midwest.

Glad to have helped! Just make sure it's wrapped REALLY well and get yourself some of those silicone bottle caps- that way if you don't finish the bomber in one night, it's still nice and fresh the next day! If you do however run across anything exciting in the parks/restaurants, let me know!

Oh, and Dark Lord is a Russian Imperial brewed by Three Floyds in northwest indiana. It's 13% abv, about the consistency of motor oil, and one of the best beers in the world. It's sold one day a year and it's almost impossible to get tickets to even go to the event to buy the beer- tickets for this years day are already on ebay for $400+! And thanks for the head's up on Yeti. I'm going to try and see if I can find anyone that carries it here in the midwest.

That beer literally sounds like heaven.
Great Divide is a Colorado brewery but they for sure distribute west to Cali, not sure if they distribute east. But if they do, also try the Claymore Scotch Ale (if you like scotch ales). It's 8% and so dang smooth and delicious.

Man, if you ever come to Colorado, let me know. There are so many brews I wanna talk about but they're mostly just in Colorado. And I'm sure it's the same with you! Bummer

Anyways, my husband didn't get that job :( We're pretty bummed (and still poor!). He's doing some landscaping for his dad's restaurants for now. But my mom feels bad and offered to pay for half of my Disney trip! I told her I'd prefer to make it on my own but it's nice to know that if I have trouble paying her back (she's putting it on her credit card and I'll pay her back after) that I can let her pay for some! It's relieving because I am NOT giving up this trip.

Sorry about the hubby. I'm sure something will come his way.

By the way, you might want to avoid phrases like "But a bomber in my checked bag would totally work!" I'm pretty sure Homeland Security monitors Disboards too.

Sorry about the hubby. I'm sure something will come his way.

By the way, you might want to avoid phrases like "But a bomber in my checked bag would totally work!" I'm pretty sure Homeland Security monitors Disboards too.

Lol I totally didn't even think about that. At first when I read that I was like "I'm pretty sure I can take alcohol with me"
And then I got the bomb thing. Whoops!

Sorry for lack of updates lately. We're pretty much ready to book but my mom is paying for it (I'm paying her back so we can pay in full and I don't have to pay it all at once, she's great like that) but she's computer inept and doesn't really know what she's doing so I have to find a time to drive over to my parents' house so we can book! That's the next step for this PTR!

In the meantime I thought I'd share a mini-TR from the past weekend.

Where did we go?

IT WAS A STAYCATION!

Now, I'm no newb to message boards. Being stuck in the states as a hockey fan in a small market kind of leads one to hockey forums. And after years of that, it's only natural that meet and greets start to happen (like Dis meets!). I met my friend Jonathon on an Avs message board and during various trips to Colorado we got together a couple of times and had lunch and did brew tours and such.
Well, he's a DIE HARD Avs fan and had never been to the Pepsi Center (where the Avs play) so he and his wife came out for the weekend!

This will be brief :)
Started the weekend with the best burgers in Colorado, The Cherry Cricket

We started with beers. I had the Vanilla Porter; on tap it's a little overly vanilla flavored for my taste, but it's one of my favorite beers when bottled (had a keg of it at my wedding) and Casey had something hoppy probably and the other one is Railyard Ale from Wynkoop Brewery in Denver.

527589_10151442884345252_687465251_23732036_417319221_n.jpg

THEN THE CHEESEBURGERS. Now, if you're ever in Denver and you take my advice to go to cherry cricket, make sure you get the regular cricket instead of the little cricket (only a quarter pound). It REALLY makes a difference in taste. Mine had avocado and white cheddar and Casey wins the food war with cream cheese and green chile slices. His was TO DIE FOR. So excellent

mine
527333_10151442889425252_687465251_23732059_904251312_n.jpg

Casey's
542044_10151442890830252_687465251_23732065_1138385308_n.jpg

Then we went to my favorite brewery on the planet. They have an imperial stout called Yeti and it's my favorite. Well, in the tap room they had FIVE variations of the Yeti! So I got a sample of all five (espresso was the best, oak-aged was the worst) and one sample of Claymore Scotch Ale (my favorite beer on the planet).
552297_10151442891880252_687465251_23732072_1022400455_n.jpg

I didn't pay attention to what everyone else drank... I was too excited about my own beers.
THEN I got this AWESOME shirt that I'm totally going to wear in Disney World, because it's kind of relevant

522777_10151442956680252_687465251_23732401_220928153_n.jpg

It's a Yeti!

After that we went to Denver Brew Company and I had a sample of their dry Irish Stout (meh, Irish stouts are too light for my taste) and a graham cracker porter (was delicious)
552287_10151442893650252_687465251_23732079_685942645_n.jpg

Next day they went to see Hunger Games and me and my husband went to the zoo! It was SO crowded and not too fun but there was a baby orangutan that we watched for about a half hour! SO cute and active. Made the trip worth it.

THEN IT WAS GAME TIME
547037_10151442900330252_687465251_23732103_712015716_n.jpg

533263_10151442902580252_687465251_23732112_1472974024_n.jpg

And we lost...but it was in OT and it was a SUPER awesome game. So we were okay.

The next and final day we did the Celestial Seasonings tour (highly recommended if you ever vacation to Colorado. VERY cool and around 40 teas you can try in the sample room for free!) Neat tour.

They got tired easily and weren't the most active people so the rest of the night was spent in :(

They left the next morning and we went up to Blackhawk with Casey's extended family (like the Vegas of Colorado). And the final update I'll leave you with....

523916_10151442904040252_687465251_23732119_1825663115_n.jpg

A ROYAL FLUSH ON VIDEO POKER! Now, my DH's family loves Vegas. They've taken me 6 or 7 times since we started dating 6 years ago. Well, when I turned old enough to gamble, the only thing I liked to do was video poker. So every trip, that's all I'd do. And I am LUCKY at it. 4 of a kinds out the wazoo. Years of Vegas trips and such of TONS of video poker and no Royal Flush. They just don't happen.
So I was pretty excited!

Thanks for followin along!

Sounds like a great staycation! I personally would not of been able to stand after all that beer but I am a lightweight when it comes to alcohol. I can get a buzz after half a beer.

Too bad your team lost. As a Canadian's fan I'm starting to get used to it Haha. Do you go see games regularly?

Sounds like a great staycation! I personally would not of been able to stand after all that beer but I am a lightweight when it comes to alcohol. I can get a buzz after half a beer.

Too bad your team lost. As a Canadian's fan I'm starting to get used to it Haha. Do you go see games regularly?

Ouch! Canadien's fan? THANKS FOR ROY! Also, rough season. But you had a good playoff run two years ago with Halak at least!
The Canadiens are my favorite historic team. I don't really like them after the Roy era but some of my favorite players all time are Roy, Plante, Dryden (I have a thing for goalies) and Richard (I have his players tee!). Awesome history

Back when I was in school and my parents were paying all rent and such, I would go to 15-20 games a year. Now that I'm cut off and supporting an unemployed husband, we NEVER go :( We've been 7 times this year but 4 of those were free tickets from parents' work associates or something.
And I'm 1-6 and the Avs have been shutout FOUR times with me in attendance. I'm such bad luck this year!

I'm a light weight, too. Those are just samples of beers, not six whole beers. I think taking alcohol percent equates the samples to about 2 and a half beers but then I had some full ones. It was a good day!

Ouch! Canadien's fan? THANKS FOR ROY! Also, rough season. But you had a good playoff run two years ago with Halak at least!
The Canadiens are my favorite historic team. I don't really like them after the Roy era but some of my favorite players all time are Roy, Plante, Dryden (I have a thing for goalies) and Richard (I have his players tee!). Awesome history

Ahem... Who is your favorite "historic team"? First, as a B's fan, I'm offended. Second, though they weren't Original 6, the Nordiques (the hat you love) did have some good runs.

Tsk tsk tsk.

Ahem... Who is your favorite "historic team"? First, as a B's fan, I'm offended. Second, though they weren't Original 6, the Nordiques (the hat you love) did have some good runs.

Tsk tsk tsk.

Haha! RIGHT when I posted that I was like "BDL is going to be mad..."
If it helps, I like this decade's Bruins WAY more than this decade's Canadiens! And being a big hockey history fan I love all the O6 teams outside of Detroit.

And I bought a Bruins cup t-shirt so you can't hate me!

You'd also approve of my opinion on the Chara- Pacioretty hit ;) CALL 911! Pleeeease.

PLUS RAY BOURQUE! I'll always love Ray and that translates to a love for the Bruins as well ;)

I definitely respect the Nords (even have a Peter Forsberg Nordiques jersey. It's the pride of my collection), but their NHL history outside of the Stastny's escape from the Communists and a couple of good runs is kind of blah compared to the 50's and 60's Canadiens! I LOVE the Richard era Canadiens.

Could be worse, you could be a Caps fan.....:laughing: The last few days have been painful for us to say the least.

Great news that your mom is helping out with the trip, that should take some weight off your shoulders!:thumbsup2

And, regarding your park "must do" list? I'm so glad to find someone else out there who doesn't feel that TSM is worth all the hype. It's a fun ride, certainly, and the queue is amazing (if you're going to be stuck in a queue, rather) but we don't feel like we miss anything if the line is too long.:confused3

That being said, if we miss ToT (especially at night) both my DH and I dissolve into hysterics.:lmao:

Could be worse, you could be a Caps fan.....:laughing: The last few days have been painful for us to say the least.

Great news that your mom is helping out with the trip, that should take some weight off your shoulders!:thumbsup2

And, regarding your park "must do" list? I'm so glad to find someone else out there who doesn't feel that TSM is worth all the hype. It's a fun ride, certainly, and the queue is amazing (if you're going to be stuck in a queue, rather) but we don't feel like we miss anything if the line is too long.:confused3

That being said, if we miss ToT (especially at night) both my DH and I dissolve into hysterics.:lmao:

CAPS FAN?! We're lovin Varlamov down here :) But I gotta say, I'm kind of enjoying the Caps failure lately. I don't have anything against them, but after the trade earlier SO many Caps fans were giving us crap saying that they were going to get the first overall pick (you have our first rounder) AND win the cup in the same year. And basically dissing our team. So I kind of like the fact that we could potentially finish higher in the standings.

You seem nice, though. So I'm sorry! It's ALWAYS worse missing the playoffs when you're expected to contend. The Avs will most likely miss the playoffs but I'm okay with that because we were supposed to be getting a lottery pick! At least Ovechkin has finally been starting to play better. It's just plain bad for the league when the superstars aren't performing. Hopefully he has a bounceback season next year! AND the Caps. They need a cup!

Edit: So I got distracted with hockey and totally didn't respond to anything else :confused3 That happens with me sometimes :)
So I followed your link to your anniversary trip report and could NOT figure out why it was so familiar when I'd definitely never read it before when I realized I had read your dining reviews!
Great way to honor your dad. Hopefully I can create some great Disney memories with my mom. Never too late for that!

And yeah, I really don't get the Toy Story Mania mania. I'd rather just ride TOT over and over again! Can't wait to see my mom's reaction to that ride. She's such a wimp in everyway! I'm so glad she decided to brave any ride that didn't go upside down! Haha

So I have to help with inventory tonight at my job and will probably be there until 2AM...
So to make myself feel better, I've been watching Disney movies! Sword in the Stone and now Lady and the Tramp (never gets old. I could watch this on repeat and still love it!)

Anyways, it got me to thinking, there is NO way I can miss Tony's for lunch. NO WAY. I was thinking about trying something new and skipping Tony's...
Nope. Can't do it. I don't know what it is about that place's mediocre marinara and no alcohol that makes me love it so much! It's just THE BEST PLACE ON EARTH.

Which reminds me of the AWFUL experience I had there on our honeymoon. I had to use the restroom so I went after I ordered. Well, women take for freaking ever to do their business. There were 3 people ahead of me in line and it probably took 20+ minutes to finish! By the time I got back to the table, my food had arrived and was cold and some of the wait staff presented us with a card for our celebration and I missed it all! I was so sad.

I'm determined to make up for it. And get some spaghetti (my fourth favorite food after cheeseburgers, lobster, and crab cheese wontons).

Honeymoon427.jpg

We would completely agree with you about Tony's .... there is just something about it that we love too! I'll keep in mind not to visit the ladies room there tho;)

We would completely agree with you about Tony's .... there is just something about it that we love too! I'll keep in mind not to visit the ladies room there tho;)

:lmao:
Seriously! I'll take care of that BEFORE dinner from now on!
Sorry it took so long to respond, I kept checking the thread and it was the last post was by me so I assumed no one responded and I came to post a little update and saw your post!

Anyways, last night we continued with our Disney movie nights! We started talking about finally booking but my mom's school is taking forever to decide her fate and she wan'ts to wait to book until she knows where she'll be teaching. So no booking yet :(

We watched Monsters Inc. and Beauty and the Beast and my dad made us pomegranate martinis! Apparently, even though Beauty and the Beast was my favorite movie for a phase of my youth, my dad had never seen Beauty and the Beast. He decided he liked Monsters Inc. better. Lol. We're trying to save our favorites and the classics for closer to the trip, but my mom keeps whining about not getting to watch The Little Mermaid. So maybe I'll have to bump that one up the queue!
We then found out that my dad loves Disney World :confused3 He went for one day during college spring break on the way to the beach and loved it. I thought of inviting him along but my mom said no :lmao: He gets an Alaskan fishing trip so he doesn't get any more fun!

Because let's be honest...that's what this trip is about.
I made a list of cocktails we have to try. Kind of like the ride list. These are our must-ride cocktails :cool1:

1. Lapu Lapu
img_0416.jpg

2. Yak Attak
47425_564102871975_81404250_32593237_3177887_n.jpg

*side note* Google Image searching for these drinks is hilarious...getting pictures of actual Yak attacks! :scared1:

3. Avocado Margarita (mmmm)
Avo-Marg.jpg

4. Grey Goose Slushie! Excited to try this one. I had the Grand Marnier one last time.
grey-goose-slush-kelly-tressler.jpg

5. Mango Blueberry Basil margarita
images

Also considering adding the Welsh Dragon to the list. I've heard good things :)
2531698820105608304S500x500Q85.jpg

Next up to plan: how I'm going to handle all of these drinks and sugar! I've definitely started to notice that I'm not in college anymore (imagine how my mother must feel!). I usually just drink beer because it's the best thing ever and the sugar of cocktails makes me feel sick. But we're on vacation! I'M DRINKING THE FANCY EXPENSIVE DRINKS THAT I NEVER GET! I'm not planning on being belligerent or anything...but I usually get sick before I even feel a slight buzz so hopefully I can overcome that!

Maybe I just need practice? :cool2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!