Disney Internships, specifically science related

Joyosaurusrex

Earning My Ears
Hello! First post here :) I am an "nontraditional" age college student (28 year old sophomore) who left teaching two year old's to pursue a degree in biology! It doesn't make sense for me to try for the college program, but I'd love to look at a professional internship at AK or The Living Seas once I graduate. I've been scouring Disney info about their internships and haven't found anything in this vein, but I know that I've heard about it before. I listened/watched the disunplugged segment about AK and the woman that was on (her name escapes me) was involved in a professional internship there.
So, Questions:
Does anyone have any experience with these types of internships?
Do you know what specifically might be available?
What other internships/research did you do during your college career?

If you've done something like this, please tell your story!
I know I've got two years or so before I would be seriously pursuing this, but I would like to see how I can best prepare so that I will have the best chance!

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Hi!! I'm not going to be a lot of help since I'm a business student, but I would highly recommend checking out the Fall 2013 PI/MI page on Facebook. There are people there that will be very helpful!! :goodvibes

http://www.facebook.com/groups/298768863572746/

They have people who applied for the PIs you'd be interested in and maybe they can send you the posting with what they're looking for in a candidate. :)

:cool1:

Thanks so much khancock! I'm not sure how I missed that on the website:confused:That is exactly the info I was looking for!:thumbsup2

Thank you pipermae for the facebook group info!

I've applied for the marine biology/aquarist position at the Living Seas for Fall 2013, and just sent in my info for a background check! If I get the position I'll be sure to relate my experiences for you!

During my interview, they explained the outline of the internship for me. The first three months are dealing with the small aquarium systems, working with animals like jellyfish, corals, small teleosts, and other invertebrate species. The second half is working in the 5.2 million gallon aquarium feeding, cleaning, and giving talks to the crowd through SCUBA diving.

I'm 22 right now, and will turn 23 by the end of the internship, so I'll certainly be older than most other professional interns I imagine, but I can't see that the age discrepancy would hurt your application! Good luck in school, make sure to get as much marine/animal experience as possible before applying!

I'm 22 right now, and will turn 23 by the end of the internship, so I'll certainly be older than most other professional interns I imagine, but I can't see that the age discrepancy would hurt your application! Good luck in school, make sure to get as much marine/animal experience as possible before applying!

Professional Internships are much harder to come by. I started my CP at 23 (Started after I got my Master's, got PI offer two months after I started). Most Professional Interns are those who have graduated with their Bachelor's or Master's looking to start a career in their field.

Professional Internships are much harder to come by. I started my CP at 23 (Started after I got my Master's, got PI offer two months after I started). Most Professional Interns are those who have graduated with their Bachelor's or Master's looking to start a career in their field.

That's actually what I am looking at,:thumbsup2 a PI for after I graduate. I really wanted to see if anyone has any specific advice about what kind of experience Disney is looking for in regards to the AK and Living Seas.
ex: are they looking for more research experience, animal care experience, or a mix of both?
That way I can tailor my pursuits while in college to get that sort of experience, and look for internships with other organizations over summers that would look good on a PI application.

What was your major?
I won't graduate for at least three years so I'd be 31 going into a PI. In your opinion, does it make sense to apply for a CP in addition to the PI? I know that I don't have to live in the housing so that would make the whole being 12 years older than the other CP's thing a little less awkward. Also, do you know if there are science based CP's?

Sorry, I know I'm kind of grilling you :goodvibes Thanks so much for responding!

That's actually what I am looking at, a PI for after I graduate. I really wanted to see if anyone has any specific advice about what kind of experience Disney is looking for in regards to the AK and Living Seas.
ex: are they looking for more research experience, animal care experience, or a mix of both?
That way I can tailor my pursuits while in college to get that sort of experience, and look for internships with other organizations over summers that would look good on a PI application.

I'm not in the science field, but what I can say, look at the role description, if you think you are qualified, apply. Know your strenghts and know what you want to improve about yourself. Internships are a two way street, Disney gets the labor, and you get a learning experience.

What was your major?
I won't graduate for at least three years so I'd be 31 going into a PI. In your opinion, does it make sense to apply for a CP in addition to the PI? I know that I don't have to live in the housing so that would make the whole being 12 years older than the other CP's thing a little less awkward.

I have a B.S. in Business Management and an M.S. in Hospitality & Tourism Management, both from State Schools. While there is no age requirement for the CP (there are CP's who are in their 50's and 60's). At 31, if you are graduating in a science field and have relatable work experience, I'd apply for a PI.

Also, do you know if there are science based CP's?

The closest thing you would get to that would be Animal Presentation at DAK which would be an "Attractions" role.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter