Disney in Virgina

This is a very long ago rumor. There is a thread started somewhere that has this and many others like buying land in Louisanna and really everywhere were some one wants Disney to build a park. There was a rumor a while back that Disney bought land up here in PA near Gettysburg and I have a friend who is on a Historical Associations board that said they met with execs on them building a park, but it was voted down. Until you see a Disney sign going up a Busch Gardens I would just take this as a rumor.

About 15yrs ago or so, Disney did secretly buy property in Haymarket Virginia to build Disney's America. Thankfully, we were able to chase them out, though I dispute Disney's assertion that we chased them out, I think they realized it was a bad investment and could make more money from movies, etc....Northern VA does not have the traffic infrastructure to support a theme park of that magnitude.

This is a very long ago rumor. There is a thread started somewhere that has this and many others like buying land in Louisanna and really everywhere were some one wants Disney to build a park. There was a rumor a while back that Disney bought land up here in PA near Gettysburg and I have a friend who is on a Historical Associations board that said they met with execs on them building a park, but it was voted down. Until you see a Disney sign going up a Busch Gardens I would just take this as a rumor.

I HEARD Disney is buying the Department of the Interior and plans on putting Mickey's face on Mt Rushmore. True Story... My father's brother's sister's aunt's former roommates imaginary friend told me.

About 15yrs ago or so, Disney did secretly buy property in Haymarket Virginia to build Disney's America. Thankfully, we were able to chase them out, though I dispute Disney's assertion that we chased them out, I think they realized it was a bad investment and could make more money from movies, etc....Northern VA does not have the traffic infrastructure to support a theme park of that magnitude.
So you're one of the people we can blame for not having that park! It would have certainly been a huge asset to your community and to the area. Your statement about traffic infrastructure is ridiculous. Orlando didn't have the infrastructure either before Disney arrived, the infrastructure was the result of Disney coming to the area like it would be any place they built!

Congrats...you chased out a family oriented disney theme park so you can build corporate offices, shopping centers, and a large set of country club homes...

IMO, the best idea out there right now for a new park is Disney's America. It's really a shame that the Virginia location didn't work out.

I dont see Disney building a park in VA or anywhere else on the East Coast. They might put up some Disney themed resorts/hotels around the place but other than WDW or DL I wouldnt expect to see a park anywhere else in the US.

A park not in Florida or California or on the doorstep of those states would be a seasonal park with very limited operational schedules, you would be better off building it where you could be open all year and use it to possibly draw more people to your existing parks and resorts.

Just my 2 cents worth

Toll Brothers and other home builders were able to chase them out with their "oh deary me the traffic and pollution and crime oh my" fear mongering. So they built their massive housing developments on the land. Which of course put more car traffic on the roads than Disney would have. Try driving out that way on I66 some evening. It's a real pleasure.

I would trust the people of Disney to move people into and out of their properties looooooooooooooooooooooooong before I'd trust and government to solve traffic issues.

Think of all the things that Northern Virginia could have had without the developers and hire hand protesters. Lego Land, Disney, Redskins stadium... All these areas were subsequently bull dozed for houses and strip malls.

If Disney does buy Busch Gardens, then they might as well buy the Tampa one too. Disney would be invading both D.C./Virginia and all of Central Florida!

...But Busch Gardens is owned by the company that runs Sea World. Uh ohs!

Here is a question, has anyone ever seen an example of Disney purchasing a park, hotel or anything else and rebranding it as their own?

Im not saying its never been done, Id just like to know if anyone has any specific examples.

Here is a question, has anyone ever seen an example of Disney purchasing a park, hotel or anything else and rebranding it as their own?

Im not saying its never been done, Id just like to know if anyone has any specific examples.

The Hollywood Tower Hotel would be an example.

Actually the original Disneyland Hotel would almost be an example - It opened in 1955 and was allowed to use the Disneyland name, though it was not owned by Disney, Disney aquired the hotel in 1988 and has since been remodeled etc.

Another example is the Paradise Pier Hotel at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, which was originally a Pan Pacific Hotel.

The Hollywood Tower Hotel would be an example.
I assume this is meant to be a joke. The Hollywood Tower Hotel was built by Disney, and, of course, is not really a hotel. Even when the park was named Disney-MGM Studios, it was completely owned by Disney.

I dont see Disney building a park in VA or anywhere else on the East Coast. They might put up some Disney themed resorts/hotels around the place but other than WDW or DL I wouldnt expect to see a park anywhere else in the US.

A park not in Florida or California or on the doorstep of those states would be a seasonal park with very limited operational schedules, you would be better off building it where you could be open all year and use it to possibly draw more people to your existing parks and resorts.

Just my 2 cents worth

I agree.

I was not convinced a Disney park this far north would make sense. It seemed to be a great deal of $$ to invest into something that would be forced to close over the winter months. The parks around here are not open year-round.

I could see something farther south - say near Charleston....but then.....you are so close to WDW you could be in competition with --- yourself.

I agree, park wise.....Disney has it's hands full managing two big tourist destinations. Right now, might want to concentrate on doing THAT a little better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter