Disney in StLouis

Tigger1966

Addicted to Disney
I recieved an email today with a story claiming that Walt's first choice was StLouis to build the new park not Florida. I find this hard to believe does anyone here know the truth?

I came from the Midwest. I have heard many variations of there being a location somewhere there that was once considered. Every once in a while it gets new life and the rumor of a Midwest park resurfaces. Beyond that I don't know.

He looked into several areas, including the Louisiana area. But, the FL land made the most sense because it was the center of the state, an area where all interstates could meet. At the time, Ocala was suppose to be the big central Florida city, but obviously due to Disney, Orlando now is. Also, the land was so cheap in Orlando and he could buy the land with out raising a bunch of eyes.

He actually almost didn't make it to Orlando, they had complications with the planes. I can't remember the exact story, I would have to look it up in my text books which I don't feel like doing!

I took an upper-level FL history course and learned a ton about Disney and Florida, pretty cool!

I posted this on the camping board because it is prety much the only one I read.

Walt Disney grew up in Mo. so it makes sense that he would look there to build. There is a woman who owns his home in Marcelene(sp) Mo. that has turned it into a museum and has it open daily. She grew up there and knew Walt personally. I have a pin from her that marked the 100 anniv. of his BD. They have celebrations there and is decorated for Christmas in a grand way!!!

I heard Branson, MO was considered once upon a time. i don't know how reliable a source that was, though.

I heard something about partnering with Anheiser Busch in St. Louis, but they wanted to serve beer in the park, and that nixed that.

One of the Unnoficial Guides called "The Unofficial Disney Companion, The Inside Story of Walt Disney World and the Man Behind the Mouse" by Eve Zibart is a good read on the history of how the land was acquired, and other places considered.

I can't imagine Disney spending that kind of money in the midwest with the snow and cold weather closing the park several months out of the year

I have it on very good authority that Disney is going to build a new park near Allentown, PA. I'm holding on to my house now and am going to sell it to Disney and make a real killing!

I have it on very good authority that Disney is going to build a new park near Allentown, PA. I'm holding on to my house now and am going to sell it to Disney and make a real killing!

It's going to be near C.R. Fannies

I heard something about partnering with Anheiser Busch in St. Louis, but they wanted to serve beer in the park, and that nixed that.

Hasn't WDW always served beer in the various parks....Epcot,Hollywood ,etc....?????

He came to Jacksonville to talk to Ed Ball who was Alfred DuPonts BIL and an exec with the St. Joe Co. which Alfred owned about building near Panama City where they own tons of timber land.

The story I read in the book about Ed Ball was he made Walt wait all day to see him then came out around 5:00 and said I'm sorry Mr. Disney but we don't deal with carnies. What an idiot. I found the following on google. I'm glad Walt found Orlando because I'd be more broke if it was here lol.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=80676

my man used to work for St. Joe....... they are bad people.

Probably because St. Lous was the site of the Worlds Fair, which Walt was a huge fan of. I'm not surprised at all that he would want to build it there first, it would make total sense considering his views.

and his "Carousel of Progress" was debuted at a Worlds Fair (not sure if St. Louis 'cause I don't remember the dates) and then was moved to FL, right? that's what I remember

I've also been to Marceline, MO for Toonfest held every Sept. It's interesting to see the mouse street signs and (according to the website) the only "official" disneyworld flag flying out side of the dw complex in FL. Wouldn't surprise me if he considered St. L, but then I'd live close enough to have an AP EVERY year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter